Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
at least give us a couple of days to express how loving hard Manu is crushing Slade Wilson. I mean the guy was born to wear an eye patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I actually started laughing during this shot. Manu has the loving best, smug poo poo-eating grin I've ever seen.

e: Also some fantastic stunt work in this episode. I'll probably gif a bunch of it tomorrow when I have time if no one gets to it first.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
never understood the open eyehole system, surely it'd be a motherfucker to keep clean.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
That's the Arrow I like! The episode was great TV and totally made up for last week's soap opera bullshit. It sucks that there's another break.

But regarding the stuntwork - what was with Caity Lotz' superjump on the Queen residence? Did I miss something there?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Poor Diggle. First action in weeks and he gets knocked out like a chump.
Yeah, this bummed me out. I was really hoping he'd get to rain down some hellfire.

Leb posted:

That was a fairly interesting episode, but uh... the fact that all the principals, including Oliver himself, somehow accept that Shado's death was Oliver's fault is just a contrivance too far. I mean, Oliver never even made a choice; at the last second, Ivo took aim at Sara and Oliver put himself in the line of fire.

I know, I know, the Mirakuru makes Slade irrational, but poo poo, not only is the "I may have pulled the trigger, but you chose which one would die" scenario really stupid on its face but on top of that, Oliver never even made a choice in the first place.
This was the weakest point of the episode. The idea that Ollie deserves any blame for Ivo deciding to murder women at random is just absurd. Like you say, the Crazy Juice is to blame for Slade being totes irrational - but that's a lame motivation and setup for a villain.

On the other hand, Present Day Slade being MENACING AS gently caress without them having him actually have to kill anyone to prove what a villain he is (like eeeevery other show would do) was terrific stuff. I second the guy who said "Not yet, kid" should be the new thread title.

Narcissus1916 posted:

And while the technical end of the show remains impressive, the script had a TON of clunky lines. All of Ivo's lines in particular felt extremely rough - you've gotta give your actors something to work with.
I agree entirely . If the writing leaned away from clichés and gave the audience more credit, this show would probably be a lot more well-regarded.

BrianWilly posted:

Although when exactly did Roy find out about Sara being one of Ollie's allies? I guess we just Arrow-paced through that scene.
We haven't really seen anything of Roy since he bust open that cargo container. It is a little odd. Oh, well.

Mexal posted:

I'm still in awe that this is a CW show.
Every time someone says this, I assume they are a terrible human being for not watching the first two seasons of Nikita. :smith:

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

VagueRant posted:

On the other hand, Present Day Slade being MENACING AS gently caress without them having him actually have to kill anyone to prove what a villain he is (like eeeevery other show would do) was terrific stuff.

Manu Bennett is killing it in terms of cocky menace and eyepatch-rocking, but to be fair, they did kind of do this when he killed a bunch of Blood's goons for, like, no reason.

That said, the fact that that moment was so forgettable with respect to his present-day arc is pretty notable in and of itself, especially considering we've only seen him like three times.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They keep filming Roy on the team stuff and then cutting it for time, unfortunately.

Having the thread locked for two weeks with "Not yet, kid" as the title is going to be great.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Whizbang posted:

They keep filming Roy on the team stuff and then cutting it for time, unfortunately.
This is both good and bad. Good that they have so much high quality material that they don't have room for it all. Bad that they have to make awkward cuts of good material and sacrifice scenes that advance the story.

quote:

Having the thread locked for two weeks with "Not yet, kid" as the title is going to be great.
I have to agree, this would be fantastic.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I can't get that image of the eyehole out of my head. Ughgh gently caress creepy as poo poo. :stonk:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

JayMax posted:

Ivo shooting anyone didn't even make sense at that point. It's kinda dumb that they made it this central plot point.
I think they're probably going for Slade punishing Ollie for not being straight with him. He knows Ivo probably offed Shado just because and he's trying to play mindgames between them. He's a little hosed up and probably does realize it but IMO he's mostly punishing Ollie now by making him suffer.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Salmon Ladder: Year One.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

jscolon2.0 posted:

You know, you did have a wife and kid before the island, Slade.

Maybe he doesn't anymore :ohdear:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The whole fridging Shado thing is just dumb. It's dumb that Ivo randomly decided to kill one of them for no reason. It's dumb that everyone keeps saying Ollie made a choice when all he did was put himself in front of the gun. It's dumb that when Ivo was all :byodood:You aimed the gun! Ollie didn't respond with :v:No, you did, you loving psycho, because you were the only one holding a gun! and then shot him. It's dumb that Slade is being dumb about it. It's just all-around dumb.

I mean, it's far from a dealbreaker, but it's still fuckin' dumb, and this is the first time I can remember that the show has just been straight-up dumb about something. :shrug:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It is pretty dumb, but I honestly don't mind because it's at least in service of the plot and sets up a nice motivation for Slade while setting up interesting situations for Ollie to deal with both in the present and the past. Like you said this is the first overtly dumb thing the show's done, so I'm ok with giving it a pass and just accepting it for what it is: an excuse to have Manu Bennett in as many scenes as possible.

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Manu Bennett is killing it in terms of cocky menace and eyepatch-rocking, but to be fair, they did kind of do this when he killed a bunch of Blood's goons for, like, no reason.
To be fair it was meant as punishment/intimidation for Blood because he screwed up, although it was obviously mainly just to let them properly introduce present-day Deathstroke. Also Manu Bennett is channeling some impressive smugness from Crixus circa season 1 of Spartacus and it is fantastic.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Spergatory posted:

The whole fridging Shado thing is just dumb. It's dumb that Ivo randomly decided to kill one of them for no reason. It's dumb that everyone keeps saying Ollie made a choice when all he did was put himself in front of the gun. It's dumb that when Ivo was all :byodood:You aimed the gun! Ollie didn't respond with :v:No, you did, you loving psycho, because you were the only one holding a gun! and then shot him. It's dumb that Slade is being dumb about it. It's just all-around dumb.

I mean, it's far from a dealbreaker, but it's still fuckin' dumb, and this is the first time I can remember that the show has just been straight-up dumb about something. :shrug:

Yeah, it's always pretty frustrating when the heroes buy into a villains pretty lame manipulation plot.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The most frustrating thing about that whole subplot is that it involved fridging Shado herself.

Shado has some pretty interesting mythology in the comics, particularly in the current comics run and killing her off before setting all that up is a really frustrating way to dismiss what could've been a really fascinating with great backstory who could've opened up the scope of the setting even further to include more east asian mystical kung fu action.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This is the first episode I didn't really find to be fantastic. I like the island stuff usually, but I would have preferred a lot less Island on this episode and a lot more mansion drama/action.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

VDay posted:

I actually started laughing during this shot. Manu has the loving best, smug poo poo-eating grin I've ever seen.

e: Also some fantastic stunt work in this episode. I'll probably gif a bunch of it tomorrow when I have time if no one gets to it first.

Now I want a show with Bennett and James Spader being smug bros.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Slade punishing Oliver for Shado is not just because he was in love with her, but Oliver "choosing" Sara over her is a betrayal to their island team and all they endured over the last year or so. In Slade's mind, the three of them had a bond where they would have each others back for the rest of their lives. Slade and Shado would have taken a bullet to save one of their island team. Oliver allowing Shado to get killed to protect his fling, wouldn't really come across very well to a Slade who considered Oliver a brother, even before the mirakuru addled brain amplifies things.

The fact that Oliver was withholding the details about Shado makes things even worse.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 6, 2014

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think there's a way to make me believe Slade's anger at Oliver - but the dialogue in tonight's episode did the plot no favors.

The central core of their conflict should be that Oliver didn't just choose Sara over Shado - but that by doing so he was choosing his old self over the man he's become.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

I respect the island material more than I actually like it - but its getting drat repetitive. Really cannot wait for Oliver and Sara to get away from the island and onto more of their training/world travelings.

Pretty sure Sara doesn't get off the island with Ollie, so we likely won't be seeing that stuff.

Mexal
Oct 18, 2007

It is best to avoid the power of a ninja

VagueRant posted:

Every time someone says this, I assume they are a terrible human being for not watching the first two seasons of Nikita. :smith:

I watched the first 4 seasons of Nikita. It was good television, I don't disagree, but Arrow is on another level for me. Nikita's structure was "Division has random missing. Michael is sent. Nikita finds out and stops them. Michael or Nikita doesn't kill each other" rinse and repeat. Fun, entertaining, but never had the tension that this episode had with Slade and never really had any interesting villains.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ollie is gonna end up with the worst step-dad ever :gonk:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One thing that I think helped to explain Slade's mindset is when they revealed that he was never planning to destroy the Mirakuru, Ollie and Sarah burned a box of dirt. He hasn't been the same since the injection, and I think in that reveal you can see that he's had his own plan in mind for a while. I don't think he would have just killed Ollie and Sarah for no reason, but I'm not sure he really gave a poo poo about them anymore. His exchange with Ollie about them being "brothers" came off to me(especially in hindsight) as Slade trying to say what Ollie wants to hear. He knew he needed backup to take the freighter.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
So many great little touches in this show tonight but Slade's car needs some love. What WAS that?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Arrow Season 2: Leaving the thread open would be... Suicide

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Arrow Season 2: Leaving the thread open would be... Suicide

If you do close the thread, Deadpool, change it to this before you do it.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Deadpool posted:

I may have to close this thing down after a couple days. Hiatuses do not do this thread any favors.

On the flip side, then we have nowhere to discuss the trailers and photos from the set and such that get posted fairly regularly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Careful. Micromanaging threads is the first step on the road to Aatrek.

...Okay, maybe not the first.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

King Burgundy posted:

On the flip side, then we have nowhere to discuss the trailers and photos from the set and such that get posted fairly regularly.

Yes, and where are we meant to talk about how Stephen Amell is the raddest dude on the planet?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Now I want a show with Bennett and James Spader being smug bros.

If Manu were cast on The Blacklist it would be a :smug: overload and we'd all start bleeding out our ears.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Shado has some pretty interesting mythology in the comics, particularly in the current comics run and killing her off before setting all that up is a really frustrating way to dismiss what could've been a really fascinating with great backstory who could've opened up the scope of the setting even further to include more east asian mystical kung fu action.
When has anyone on this show ever stayed dead? Seriously every single person that's died minus I think Shado and Tommy has come back (oh and Oliver's dad). Tommy and Oliver's dad make sense to stay dead, but Ollie came back, Slade came back, Sara came back, Malcolm Merlyn came back, Roy technically came back...

I would not be surprised to see Shado again. Did we ever see them bury her? Maybe she has a sister...

quote:

Ollie is gonna end up with the worst step-dad ever
Slade is totally going to bang Ollie's mom. His hands were all over her and she wasn't arguing. Hell he may hook up with Laurel too.

quote:

One thing that I think helped to explain Slade's mindset is when they revealed that he was never planning to destroy the Mirakuru, Ollie and Sarah burned a box of dirt. He hasn't been the same since the injection, and I think in that reveal you can see that he's had his own plan in mind for a while
Also this was an interesting twist. Why did Slade keep the mirakuru? It wasn't grief over Shado that's for sure. Bargaining chip with Ivo makes sense except he's already got the ship and Ivo now. Maybe Slade thinks it can bring Shado back?

quote:

You know, you did have a wife and kid before the island, Slade.
Yeah, odds on Slade being Felicity's dad? Felicity gonna be ROSE?? Or is Jericho going to show up? Or will they play fast and loose and bring in Captain Boomerang as his kid?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I dunno we did pretty clearly see Ivo put a bullet in Shado's head, and there's been at least one scene of their little graveyard where Yao Fei and Ollie's dad are buried put under a pile of rocks and they carve their name into a tree branch. Along with a third for Shado.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Ollie's mom is going to bang the main villain of every season.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Dead Snoopy posted:

So many great little touches in this show tonight but Slade's car needs some love. What WAS that?

Looked like a Lamborghini Aventador to me:

Googling to try to confirm (as far as I can tell, nobody's written about the model yet) reveals that Manu apparently has a decent relationship with the brand.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Oracle posted:

When has anyone on this show ever stayed dead? Seriously every single person that's died minus I think Shado and Tommy has come back (oh and Oliver's dad). Tommy and Oliver's dad make sense to stay dead, but Ollie came back, Slade came back, Sara came back, Malcolm Merlyn came back, Roy technically came back...

They were never dead, just missing and presumed dead. The closest someone on this show has come to coming back to life is Roy, but that was shown immediately and made sense in context. I don't think this show has a reputation for bringing dead characters back to life at all, and we clearly saw Shado die, I would be surprised and disappointed if she came back somehow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her name was actually Henry Shado Yao.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Aphrodite posted:

Her name was actually Henry Shado Yao.

Smallville! :argh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loving outstanding episode. The Few Dollars More staring showdown was loving awesome. Anyone have a gif of Slade's reaction when Sarah comes down the stairs?

Manu Bennett man.........Manu Bennett....

Also I know there's been a lot of "will they/won't they" regarding Nightwing but Steve McQueen says they're in talks.

Oh, also I think that it was Huntress that knocked out Diggle.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 6, 2014

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King Burgundy posted:

Also, where will we discuss that glimpse of maybe Harley Quinn :swoon: from the preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

zoux posted:

Steve McQueen says they're in talks.

There are way too many Steve McQueens because the first two that came to mind almost made me spit out my coffee

• Locked thread