Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octavian
Mar 29, 2007
Why not an invasion from the future?

Gervase of Tilbury in 1211 A.D. posted:

There happened in the borough of Cloera, one Sunday, while the people were at Mass, a marvel. In this town is a church dedicated to St. Kinarus. It befell that an anchor was dropped from the sky, with a rope attached to it, and one of the flukes caught in the arch above the church door. The people rushed out of the church and saw in the sky a ship with men on board, floating before the anchor cable, and they saw a man leap overboard and jump down to the anchor, as if to release it. He looked as if he were swimming in water. The folk rushed up and tried to seize him; but the Bishop forbade the people to hold the man, for it might kill him, he said. The man was freed, and hurried up to the ship, where the crew cut the rope and the ship sailed out of sight. But the anchor is in the church, and has been there ever since, as a testimony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Pope calls for a crusade for Aquataine and the only ones who respond are the Holy orders and maybe a dozen dukes and petty kings. The Karling Kings either had a truce with the muslims or were helping fight off an Aghalbid (sp?) invasion of Sicily, because that's more important amirite. :rolleyes:

Yeah I had that happen in my last game a while back. There was a tug of war for Aquitaine for the next century with the whole mass changing hands every little while but eventually the whole of Islam broke down into various wars of succession and decadence and got picked apart. If one of the crusader orders takes root in Iberia, watch out, they could become a major player.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I think I've had two different games now where the Kingdom of Aquitaine somehow managed to form, both times with the ruler being of the house of Capet.

The first time it wasn't so bad, because France also somehow managed to become a Most Serene Republic for a few decades before switching back to being a kingdom under a separate dynasty, but the second game was an absolute clusterfuck with the same dynasty on both thrones, resulting in a constant cycle between the crowns being reunited, then gavelkind splitting them up, giving each king a claim on the other's title.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

HenessyHero posted:

Yeah I had that happen in my last game a while back. There was a tug of war for Aquitaine for the next century with the whole mass changing hands every little while but eventually the whole of Islam broke down into various wars of succession and decadence and got picked apart. If one of the crusader orders takes root in Iberia, watch out, they could become a major player.

The Kingdom of Asturias is hanging on and I'm sure the Knights of Calatrava and the Knights of Santiago were founded, so it could definitely happen.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DStecks posted:

I think I've had two different games now where the Kingdom of Aquitaine somehow managed to form, both times with the ruler being of the house of Capet.

The first time it wasn't so bad, because France also somehow managed to become a Most Serene Republic for a few decades before switching back to being a kingdom under a separate dynasty, but the second game was an absolute clusterfuck with the same dynasty on both thrones, resulting in a constant cycle between the crowns being reunited, then gavelkind splitting them up, giving each king a claim on the other's title.

Isn't that how it usually ends up with the 867 start?

I started a game as the Duke of Toulouse, and waxed and waned, gaining and losing counties here and there, gaining the duchy of Provence, losing it and getting it back again, but Aquataine and France were a ludicrous clusterfuck of neigh constant civil war, which I mostly avoided in favor of constally failing at taking Barcelona from Muslim Hispania. I eventually did manage to become King and instantly regreted it. It felt more like a punishment than an accomplishment.

Another thing I'd like to mention from that Serbia game, I noticed that the Emperor captured the Emir of Cicilina or whatever and instead of ending the war right there they ransomed him, sending the warscore back down into the 20s and kept on fighting. What the hell?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Is there some bug in the current version of CK2+ that causes your armies to waste away when sieging things, regardless of being below the supply limit? It seems like a shitload of those "Attackers take 1% losses" event may be firing.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

DrPop posted:

Is there some bug in the current version of CK2+ that causes your armies to waste away when sieging things, regardless of being below the supply limit? It seems like a shitload of those "Attackers take 1% losses" event may be firing.

The siege bug is fixed in the dev version, try that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Isn't that how it usually ends up with the 867 start?

Maybe, but I'm talking the Stamford Bridge start. Both times a kingdom of Aquitaine managed to form, which I'm guessing is the product of the French crown not slapping down uppity dukes until it was too late. That's why I always get nervous about playing in Iberia, you let even one duke gain a second duchy, and you can be in the poo poo in a hurry.

Honestly, I think that Galicia and Leon should just be part of the Kingdom of Castille. As far as I'm aware, petty kingdoms is all they really were when they were independent, and CKII has a petty kingdom system. It would probably result in more interesting events than Inevitable Jimena Clusterfuck.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

DStecks posted:

Maybe, but I'm talking the Stamford Bridge start. Both times a kingdom of Aquitaine managed to form, which I'm guessing is the product of the French crown not slapping down uppity dukes until it was too late. That's why I always get nervous about playing in Iberia, you let even one duke gain a second duchy, and you can be in the poo poo in a hurry.

I'm pretty sure the AI will now form secondary kingdom-level (or above) titles, even when they're on gavelkind. Was changed a patch or so. So in 1066, with France starting with all of de jure France + Aquitaine, as soon as they have the piety they'll form it and within a generation or two it'll get separated. If memory serves France does start as primo in 1066, but the AI isn't great at keeping kingdoms together with that (especially as a France that's getting beaten up on cooldown by the HRE for Flanders :shobon:)

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
The Karling clusterfuck in the 867 start has its advantages. As the Byzantines I took Italy, Lotharangia, Bavaria and Germany through stabbing enough Karling heirs and rulers that the king of Italy held all the titles, marrying his daughters and killing him.
I was expecting just to get claims, but my son ended up on the throne.
One civil war and infanticide later and I now hold 5 kingdoms.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

monster on a stick posted:

I'm really not sure what to do, since most of the Emperor's job now is sending gifts to vassals to keep them happy, making sure that everyone is getting a Greek education, and putting down the occasional revolt. I guess the hordes show up at some point to make things interesting but that's about it.

I'd love to see the expressions on the horde's faces when they show up and you raise your levies :gonk:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Darkrenown posted:

I'd love to see the expressions on the horde's faces when they show up and you raise your levies :gonk:

He doesn't even need to. Depending on his military tactics tech, he can command around 100k cataphracts.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
He probably doesn't, but it would be amusing to ludicrously outnumber the horde invaders.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Darkrenown posted:

He probably doesn't, but it would be amusing to ludicrously outnumber the horde invaders.

Rome decimates the Golden Horde. The Timurids decide not to bother heading west; they saw what happened to the last fuckers who tried that.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

The Ilkhanate, Golden Horde, and Timurids are all still pretty drat challenging if you're trying to fight them with just levies, because they're practically all horse archers, and they get a cultural tactic that keeps the battle in the Skirmish phase, which means that your typical levies get shredded pretty badly without even being able to fight back.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

The Karling clusterfuck in the 867 start has its advantages. As the Byzantines I took Italy, Lotharangia, Bavaria and Germany through stabbing enough Karling heirs and rulers that the king of Italy held all the titles, marrying his daughters and killing him.
I was expecting just to get claims, but my son ended up on the throne.
One civil war and infanticide later and I now hold 5 kingdoms.

That sounds like it would cost a ridiculous amount of money, especially at the start of the game.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bishop Rodan posted:

If ck2 ever expands to China, what I want is a DLC featuring a Sunrise Invasion by the Inca. :black101:

They should have that in Rajas if you have Sunset Invasion active at the same time, like they did with Viking ships being captured by Aztecs if you have SI and the Old Gods Active. Maybe at around the same time the Aztecs show up in Europe, Rulers in india get offers to sell cities for oodles of gold to the West Incia Company, and the Incas then pop up as a Merchant Republic on the far east of the map.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Allyn posted:

Doesn't CK2+ start with titular titles for every duchy in the game? It certainly used to, in Wiz's days. Maybe it's an optional module now or something, it should certainly be somewhere in the files already though I would've thought.

CK2+ never had that. It did have a lot of titular kingdoms and empires in general (I think most cultures had their own Titular Empire to form) but nothing like that.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Why are my 100 positive relations joining a rebellion to put my lovely no-name second cousin in power? Literally all my vassals have been called into the rebellion even though they love me.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Bloody Pancreas posted:

The siege bug is fixed in the dev version, try that.

Got it, will do.

And auughghghgg there's people talking about the bug on the CK2+ forums about how it's more "immersive" it makes sieges more fun. Yeah, having your 10,000 troops reduced to 3,500 while sieging a minor city over the course of two weeks is really cool! What the hell is wrong with these people.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah but outnumbering the Mongols wouldn't win a battle in real life. They'd just gallop away to a location that your army wasn't at and siege it and kill every citizen. Their mobility was the infuriating factor for most armies trying to kill them. The Infantry and Heavy Cavalry armies of Europe would have gotten shithoused in any encounter with the Mongols, even the highly organized armies of Rome.

Hell, didn't the Prince of Vladimir outnumber Subutai like 3:1 and still get his entire army wiped out? Hell, they didn't even do some clever poo poo like Georgia did and try confining them in the mountains to nullify the Horse Archers. (Georgia still lost)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

DrPop posted:

Got it, will do.

And auughghghgg there's people talking about the bug on the CK2+ forums about how it's more "immersive" it makes sieges more fun. Yeah, having your 10,000 troops reduced to 3,500 while sieging a minor city over the course of two weeks is really cool! What the hell is wrong with these people.

Losing is Fun!

Meanwhile, Im thinking of starting playing again. Last time I played, I used Ireland to conquer Scandanvia, Brittanica, and France, and now Im thinking of doing the reverse.

How does Denmark play differently then Ireland? My habit in the past has been fake claim/hire mercenaries/rush my neighbor.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Why are my 100 positive relations joining a rebellion to put my lovely no-name second cousin in power? Literally all my vassals have been called into the rebellion even though they love me.

Vassals can get spymaster forced into factions. Youre supposed to use your spymaster to force them out

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

He doesn't even need to. Depending on his military tactics tech, he can command around 100k cataphracts.

I just checked ancurrently have ~75K cataphracts in retines, total levies including mine and vassals would be 260K. That's in 1107.

(why yes I am abusing the retinues mechanic)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Vassals can get spymaster forced into factions. Youre supposed to use your spymaster to force them out

They weren't in the faction though. The faction was about 2 dukes and a couple of counts and was at 70% of my strength when they revolted. But once the war started they started calling all the other dukes into their rebellion.

I mean I crushed them, but still.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

They weren't in the faction though. The faction was about 2 dukes and a couple of counts and was at 70% of my strength when they revolted. But once the war started they started calling all the other dukes into their rebellion.

I mean I crushed them, but still.

Are they family?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are they family?

some of them were. In particular my second eldest son who rebelled despite the fact that if he won he would have been pushed further down the succession order.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Charlz Guybon posted:

That sounds like it would cost a ridiculous amount of money, especially at the start of the game.

Yes, all of my money for at least 20 years, haven't checked the date.
I had to raise feudal taxes, get a good steward on collecting taxes, kick out the Jews a couple of times and imprison then ransom uppity dukes to manage it.

It also helped that I put the Ecumenical Patriarch on researching cultural tech, since he would frequently fire "Heretical Find", but since he's a holder of a religious title, he's not eligible for conversion, so he kept trying to convert me to Orthodoxy.

This effectively gave me free ransom money, since there's no opinion malus to imprisoning him.
He's not as wealthy as the pope though, so sometimes I took the free +20 opinion for releasing a King-tier vassal.

I also became the commander of the Varangian Guard through inheritance shenannigans to suppliment my retinues.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

YouTuber posted:

Yeah but outnumbering the Mongols wouldn't win a battle in real life. They'd just gallop away to a location that your army wasn't at and siege it and kill every citizen. Their mobility was the infuriating factor for most armies trying to kill them. The Infantry and Heavy Cavalry armies of Europe would have gotten shithoused in any encounter with the Mongols, even the highly organized armies of Rome.

Hell, didn't the Prince of Vladimir outnumber Subutai like 3:1 and still get his entire army wiped out? Hell, they didn't even do some clever poo poo like Georgia did and try confining them in the mountains to nullify the Horse Archers. (Georgia still lost)

Well I was saying it would be funny, not that it'd be the pro-strategy. However, I think that Europa-Rome could muster a little more force than any united Christian force the Mongols actually defeated. If you could avoid attrition by navy bombing (Yeah, morale hit, I know) I suspect Rome'd have enough archers and light cav that a mongol stack wouldn't enjoy even the Skirmish phase.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

YouTuber posted:

Just break up your armies into 10k-20k stacks (depending on troop availability and local and try and box in the Mongol stacks. The minute it looks like either you've cornered them or they're going to strike at you, pile all your armies into the same province. Though even then, Mongol mobility can mess you up. The last time I fought the Ilkhanate, their CB was the invasion Cumania so I shipped the vast majority of my troops there, only for the Mongols to send their event stacks south and ride into mostly-undefended Syria and Jerusalem instead.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hey Darkrenown, you might want to look into a bug where the Robin Hood event fires off twice in a row. It happened to me, and judging from talk in the LP thread, it happened to everyone else who got it too.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Right o.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

CapnAndy posted:

Hey Darkrenown, you might want to look into a bug where the Robin Hood event fires off twice in a row. It happened to me, and judging from talk in the LP thread, it happened to everyone else who got it too.

Yeah I've had it fire off twice in a row everytime its fired.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh while we are reporting bugs a while ago I had the Bran Stark event gently caress up so that I got the wrong result (the game acted like I had pushed him- he was maimed, massive opinion penalty for trying to kill him, when I chose the option to forbid him from climbing). This happened twice but was a few months ago so maybe it's fixed now, haven't had the event since.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Reveilled posted:

They should have that in Rajas if you have Sunset Invasion active at the same time, like they did with Viking ships being captured by Aztecs if you have SI and the Old Gods Active. Maybe at around the same time the Aztecs show up in Europe, Rulers in india get offers to sell cities for oodles of gold to the West Incia Company, and the Incas then pop up as a Merchant Republic on the far east of the map.

Paradox, please make this happen.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I had it fire off three times in a row, but thankfully it seems to have stopped now. I assume I could have gotten three different Robins and Marions, but I tried to minimize the glitchiness by picking different options.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
So I started a game as a Byzantine duke, married into the imperial family, and got to the business of scheming to take the crown. Apparently everyone else was too! The first Emperor lived to loving 86, so he outlived a lot of his maimed syphilitic sons, and the one that succeeded him was old and died quickly. Since then there have been five succession wars, three currently ongoing and one of those since the start(mine), in less than seven years. Bulgaria and Arabia are nipping at the edges of the Empire while a grand total of four dukes are still loyal, two of which losers of past civil wars.

Is it normal for the Byzantine Empire to collapse this dramatically?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TGLT posted:

Is it normal for the Byzantine Empire to collapse this dramatically?

They don't call it "Byzantine politics" for nothing.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Went back to the Serbia game and the Muslim dynasty that took over western Europe was Shia, and managed to convert the Duke of Bohemia! :psyduck:

He's currently waging a huge war over Silesia with all the surrounding pagans. Thankfully he's losing. The crusade and assorted rebellions in Aquatine are also still raging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

There's a Rajas of India Dev-video series of sorts up on the Paradox YouTube channel, detailing how stuff will work. The game is still not done, but they showcase a lot of new stuff.

And Wiz (and SomethingAwful) got a shout-out in the second video, for those who enjoy a mention of that sort of thing.

Link to the first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtmg8-F_C_I

• Locked thread