Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hey TSF, I need some video help.

This is a screenshot of footage I recorded from Super Mario Sunshine, which is of course a Gamecube game. Being that I am a dirty European the only resolutions I can record Gamecube games in are 480i(Gamecube) or 576i(Wii). 480p is simply not an option available to me. :(

I don't know a lot about video or broadcasting standards, but from what I understand this kind of heavy ghosting is caused by i-resolutions. So seeing as there is no way for me to prevent this before recording, I was wondering if there was a way to fix it in post. I tried looking around for anti-ghosting filters or resample disabling filters for AVIsynth and VirtualDub, but no dice.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Any deinterlacing options on your capture device? Otherwise, if I'm not mistaken, Yadif should do the trick.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

JordanKai posted:

Hey TSF, I need some video help.

This is a screenshot of footage I recorded from Super Mario Sunshine, which is of course a Gamecube game. Being that I am a dirty European the only resolutions I can record Gamecube games in are 480i(Gamecube) or 576i(Wii). 480p is simply not an option available to me. :(

I don't know a lot about video or broadcasting standards, but from what I understand this kind of heavy ghosting is caused by i-resolutions. So seeing as there is no way for me to prevent this before recording, I was wondering if there was a way to fix it in post. I tried looking around for anti-ghosting filters or resample disabling filters for AVIsynth and VirtualDub, but no dice.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?

If that's frame blending, it might be your de-interlacing. Try using YADIF on it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

frozentreasure posted:

Any deinterlacing options on your capture device? Otherwise, if I'm not mistaken, Yadif should do the trick.

ChaosArgate posted:

If that's frame blending, it might be your de-interlacing. Try using YADIF on it.

Applying Yadif to my videos was already in my regular workflow. It didn't actually seem to make much of a difference on this footage, though. :ohdear:

No Yadif:

Yadif:

Here's my current AVIsynth script, assuming that's of any help:

http://pastebin.com/xKvZrAn5

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yeah, this sort of frame blending can't really be due to interlacing. What kind of capture card do you have?

What's probably going on is that your capture card is set to record 30 frames per second or 29.97 frames per second, which are NTSC rates. PAL uses a frame rate of 25 frames per second, and so the encoder is doing this frame blending to get it into 30fps.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, this sort of frame blending can't really be due to interlacing. What kind of capture card do you have?

What's probably going on is that your capture card is set to record 30 frames per second or 29.97 frames per second, which are NTSC rates. PAL uses a frame rate of 25 frames per second, and so the encoder is doing this frame blending to get it into 30fps.

I'm using an Elgato HD Capture Device. If I remember correctly it was set to 29.97 when I was recording, so that might be it! I'll see if I can find a setting for that somewhere to set it to 25 frames per second instead.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Can anyone recommend a good capture card that is usable for both PS3/360? Budget wise within 200, I don't know if you even get significant quality or features above that

I'm new to capture cards so go easy on me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Can anyone recommend a good capture card that is usable for both PS3/360? Budget wise within 200, I don't know if you even get significant quality or features above that

I'm new to capture cards so go easy on me.

The Elgato Game Capture is a popular one and hovers around the 150-180 range. There's also the Happauge HD PVR 2, which is a little cheaper but isn't as popular because the capture suite it comes with is apparently awful. If you don't care for an HD device, try the Happauge SD device or a Dazzle.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I know you own an Avermeida card dish and Avermedia center TOTALLY handles interlaced sources this way.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

JordanKai posted:

I'm using an Elgato HD Capture Device. If I remember correctly it was set to 29.97 when I was recording, so that might be it! I'll see if I can find a setting for that somewhere to set it to 25 frames per second instead.

I noticed you're loading SMS1.mp4 into FFVideoSource. Is that the raw or did you edit using something else before that?

If the source is PAL, you should be recording at 25 fps. If it isn't, don't do this!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

MEAT! posted:

I noticed you're loading SMS1.mp4 into FFVideoSource. Is that the raw or did you edit using something else before that?

No, that's definitely the raw video. Should I be opening that with a different function instead?

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Nope, FFVideoSource is fine.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

The Elgato Game Capture is a popular one and hovers around the 150-180 range. There's also the Happauge HD PVR 2, which is a little cheaper but isn't as popular because the capture suite it comes with is apparently awful. If you don't care for an HD device, try the Happauge SD device or a Dazzle.

So are most of the complaints with the Hauppauge HD PVR2 capture suite mostly for those that try to stream with it, or is it just in general a pretty poo poo program, even for simple recording?

The only reason I ask is that I'm in the market for a good HD Capture device for the PS3 for a Lords of Shadow LP, was about to just buy a HD PVR2 from Amazon, but had the little lightbulb go off that told me to check the Tech Support Fort. So after reading a bit here, I'm stumped. I have NO experience with capture card devices whatsoever.

The Elgato is approx. $20 more expensive than the Hauppauge, BUT is it's capture software easier to use...so much that it'd be worth the extra :20bux:?

For that matter, from everything I've read, I'm assuming there is no program/device that allows for a 1080i/p recording from the PS3?

Apologize for the bland questions, as I mentioned I have absolutely no experience with recording with a capture device as of yet.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BMS posted:

So are most of the complaints with the Hauppauge HD PVR2 capture suite mostly for those that try to stream with it, or is it just in general a pretty poo poo program, even for simple recording?

The only reason I ask is that I'm in the market for a good HD Capture device for the PS3 for a Lords of Shadow LP, was about to just buy a HD PVR2 from Amazon, but had the little lightbulb go off that told me to check the Tech Support Fort. So after reading a bit here, I'm stumped. I have NO experience with capture card devices whatsoever.

The Elgato is approx. $20 more expensive than the Hauppauge, BUT is it's capture software easier to use...so much that it'd be worth the extra :20bux:?

For that matter, from everything I've read, I'm assuming there is no program/device that allows for a 1080i/p recording from the PS3?

Apologize for the bland questions, as I mentioned I have absolutely no experience with recording with a capture device as of yet.

My friend has an HD PVR2 and it was a bitch and a half to set up, software included. Also, my friend's HD PVR2 doesn't work with Component or Composite for some reason. :20bux: more will give you a device that not only has easier to use software, but also is easier to set up and works with those input types, along with HDMI. The Elgato also doesn't need an external power source, being powered entirely by USB if you were looking to save some power. Also, there aren't many games that display in 1080p on PS3, so you don't really need to worry about that. The Elgato comes with a cable you can plug right into your PS3 to go directly to the device, but it's essentially just a specialized Component cable.

...man I'm feeling like a big shill for Elgato after recommending it here so much.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

My friend has an HD PVR2 and it was a bitch and a half to set up, software included. Also, my friend's HD PVR2 doesn't work with Component or Composite for some reason. :20bux: more will give you a device that not only has easier to use software, but also is easier to set up and works with those input types, along with HDMI. The Elgato also doesn't need an external power source, being powered entirely by USB if you were looking to save some power. Also, there aren't many games that display in 1080p on PS3, so you don't really need to worry about that. The Elgato comes with a cable you can plug right into your PS3 to go directly to the device, but it's essentially just a specialized Component cable.

...man I'm feeling like a big shill for Elgato after recommending it here so much.

Hey don't sweat it. I appreciate the hell out of it! Went and took a look at the Elgato website. I was curious as to whether or not it was delay free, and it is. Plus, it seems to be a much smaller device than the Hauppauge as well. Very cool. I had no idea this even existed until a few moments ago when I read through here.

Given all that I read from the website, plus the posts here in the TSF, I'm pretty much sold, unless there's some type of significant negative aspect to this. $179, while pricey (my budget anyways) seems like a good deal as long as it will last, is easy to use, and isn't cheaply made. Appreciate the recommendation!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mico posted:

I know you own an Avermeida card dish and Avermedia center TOTALLY handles interlaced sources this way.

Huh, you're right. The fun thing about that footage: if I use yadif on it, AviSynth segfaults. So I was tempting to blame the game, but now I'm not so sure...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BMS posted:

Hey don't sweat it. I appreciate the hell out of it! Went and took a look at the Elgato website. I was curious as to whether or not it was delay free, and it is. Plus, it seems to be a much smaller device than the Hauppauge as well. Very cool. I had no idea this even existed until a few moments ago when I read through here.

Given all that I read from the website, plus the posts here in the TSF, I'm pretty much sold, unless there's some type of significant negative aspect to this. $179, while pricey (my budget anyways) seems like a good deal as long as it will last, is easy to use, and isn't cheaply made. Appreciate the recommendation!

I think all capture devices are delay free, although they won't be if you're trying to play through the recording software. There is most certainly a few seconds' delay if you're doing that because it has to encode the video so it's not massive. The delay-free part comes from using the passthrough to your TV so you can play your game as usual and record at the same time.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The AverMedia card I have has no delay, even when recording. It's poo poo in all other aspects, but maybe the newer AverMedia devices are good as well?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

ChaosArgate posted:

I think all capture devices are delay free, although they won't be if you're trying to play through the recording software. There is most certainly a few seconds' delay if you're doing that because it has to encode the video so it's not massive. The delay-free part comes from using the passthrough to your TV so you can play your game as usual and record at the same time.

Yeahno, my USB Live 2 has zero delay when recording or streaming either (unless I'm using VDub with filters), so it appears only some capture cards have a delay.

EDIT: I actually use my capture software instead of a TV for my PS2. I sorta need my TV for the Wii, but for the PS2, I just maximise the capture window, start recording (if I'm recording, I don't have to press record), and play.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 7, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Huh. Well you'll want a TV with HDMI for the HD PVR or Elgato. Avermedia seems to be lagfree if you wanna try that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
What's the best way to make your own portraits/sprites from in-game screenshots? There isn't a sprite pack out there for what I'm doing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
What system is it? The Spriters Resource has a few tutorials for ripping sprites from games.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It would be a PS1 game, using ePSXe.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
For sprites, just crop them out using an image editor.

This:

becomes this:

I added a little black border (that I was going to anti-alias later) but you get the idea. Portraits is the same deal but less work. Crop out whatever you want to be the portrait in the image editor.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I have this hour long Lagarith encoded video of me playing a goofy Doom wad and I can't for the life of me get it to encode to h264 without dropping a few hundred frames and massively desynching with the audio. I feed the following script into MeGUI:
code:
FFMpegSource2("gzdoom_2014_03_07_02_40_47_378.avi", atrack=-1, threads=1).ConvertToYV12()
The hell am I doing wrong? The original avi is 114017 frames but the preview and final product in MeGUI are 113748 frames (and a previous attempt was 1136something). Both the lagarith version and the h264 one show a running time of 1:03:21 despite the huge difference in frame count.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 8, 2014

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

dis astranagant posted:

I have this hour long Lagarith encoded video of me playing a goofy Doom wad and I can't for the life of me get it to encode to h264 without dropping a few hundred frames and massively desynching with the audio. I feed the following script into MeGUI:
code:
FFMpegSource2("gzdoom_2014_03_07_02_40_47_378.avi", atrack=-1, threads=1).ConvertToYV12()
The hell am I doing wrong? The original avi is 114017 frames but the preview and final product in MeGUI are 113748 frames (and a previous attempt was 1136something). Both the lagarith version and the h264 one show a running time of 1:03:21 despite the huge difference in frame count.
What happens if you just use avisource?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Magic, apparently.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Why the hell were you using ffmpegsource2 to begin with is what I wanna know.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Copying old scripts I needed for another project :v: Had them laying around from when I was using Kega Fusion's AVI recorder, which uses some funky codec that shits the bed if you try to use anything else.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

AVIsource is for AVI files, ffmpegsource2 is for everything else. Import is for AVS files.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

gatz posted:

For sprites, just crop them out using an image editor.

This:

becomes this:

I added a little black border (that I was going to anti-alias later) but you get the idea. Portraits is the same deal but less work. Crop out whatever you want to be the portrait in the image editor.

I was trying that, but it's not exactly the easiest thing trying to crop them neatly. Especially when you have quite a few things in the background. For instance:

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Just turn off background layers in the emulator until the only thing you have left is the sprite.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MEAT! posted:

Just turn off background layers in the emulator until the only thing you have left is the sprite.

PSX games don't have those defined as such.

E: new encode still desyncs even with the frame counts matching up. There's about 3 seconds at the end with no audio.

ee: oh, I see it. The source video is missing about 2 seconds at the end and it's making then encoder crap its pants. It syncs fine without it in the script but the encoder doesn't like it.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 8, 2014

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

MEAT! posted:

PS1 games don't work like that. That said, there are a number of tools for PS1 graphics. I can't give any advice as to which will work the best or be the most user-friendly, though.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Aerdan posted:

PS1 games don't work like that. That said, there are a number of tools for PS1 graphics. I can't give any advice as to which will work the best or be the most user-friendly, though.

Shhiitt talk about owned. I don't know anything about PSX graphics, but TIMmay looks promising as something that could extract the game's art assets.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's a Tri-Ace game so there's pretty good odds that it uses some goofy format no one else ever heard off just to gently caress with you. Some ePSXe plugins (notably Pete's gpu plugins) can dump vram to an image, which may or may not give you what you want depending on just what kind of weirdness the developers were up to.

Also repeating a previous edit since no one probably saw it: Looks like my source video is missing the last 2 seconds of audio and that's pissing off the encoder. What can I do to fix that? Use vdubmod to cut that part out?

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 8, 2014

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Also repeating a previous edit since no one probably saw it: Looks like my source video is missing the last 2 seconds of audio and that's pissing off the encoder. What can I do to fix that? Use vdubmod to cut that part out?

Try cutting the audio length in Audacity or adding a blank 2 second video segment to match the audio length.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The audio's too short, not the video. There's about 2-3 seconds of silent video at the end of the original recording that I didn't notice because I just flipped near the end to check for a desync instead of flipping to the very end.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

dis astranagant posted:

In Avisynth, you can either pad the audio track with silence (Blankclip) to the right length and AudioDub that onto the video from the original clip, or cut the silent frames from the video and AudioDub the original audio onto that - it's probably best to AudioDub either way to avoid some weird case where cutting the silent video also somehow cuts into the audio from prior to that. You could also just AlignedSplice a one-frame Blankclip onto the end to force it to pad with silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I was trying that, but it's not exactly the easiest thing trying to crop them neatly. Especially when you have quite a few things in the background. For instance:

You don't need to be super careful with things like this since rough edges will tend to get smoothed when you downsize things.

Alternately, you could probably find artbook scans online. There's at least one that I believe has all the faces on plain backgrounds.

I only have a couple of really small and lovely scans, but there might be better ones.