Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

Parachute posted:

I can't wait to see more of the human beehive. Urchin Roe as used by Hannibal in the most amazing amount of artistic foreshadowing I have ever seen.

I, personally, like how when I freeze-framed the show on my monitor, and brought up the pixels, I noticed that Hannibals manicured white-nail-tips are 4mm, where everyone else in this show is 3! This show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

JD Bucks 7 posted:

I, personally, like how when I freeze-framed the show on my monitor, and brought up the pixels, I noticed that Hannibals manicured white-nail-tips are 4mm, where everyone else in this show is 3! This show!

I see you've been on tumblr again. We told you to stay away from that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

jscolon2.0 posted:

Hannibal's more likely to get implicated for the copycat murders than those under his own MO since Will is remembering the things Hannibal did to frame him.

There hasn't been a verifiable Ripper killing at least since that patient of Chilton's was institutionalized.

You're forgetting Miriam Lass.

However, we still "see" many of the Chesapeake Ripper cases during Will Graham's class lecture on the case, such as the man with his arms chopped off at a dinner table, and others described like the man in church with his tongue used as a hymnal bookmark. How many sounders did he say the Ripper had gone through? At least three.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My question is we know that Hannibal goes down as the Chesapeake Ripper, so once he's caught and dubbed the Ripper, will Graham be able to prove that he's also is guilty of the copy cat murders? It could go either way because its not established in the books, Harris left a lot of that open(as far as the timeframe, the copy cat murders themselves aren't in the books).

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 5, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Choco1980 posted:

You're forgetting Miriam Lass.

However, we still "see" many of the Chesapeake Ripper cases during Will Graham's class lecture on the case, such as the man with his arms chopped off at a dinner table, and others described like the man in church with his tongue used as a hymnal bookmark. How many sounders did he say the Ripper had gone through? At least three.

No, but I was forgetting that while she did disappear before Gideon went to jail, she was most certainly killed afterwards.

Basebf555 posted:

My question is we know that Hannibal goes down as the Chesapeake Ripper, so once he's caught and dubbed the Ripper, will Graham be able to prove that he's also is guilty of the copy cat murders? It could go either way because its not established in the books, Harris left a lot of that open(as far as the timeframe, the copy cat murders themselves aren't in the books).

What I was trying to explain before is that Will is most likely to associate Hannibal to all the copycat killings first (since he knows he's innocent, and recovered the memory of Hannibal feeding him Abigail's ear) and discover that he's the Ripper afterwards.

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

:h:love will turn you around:h:

AstroZamboni posted:

Regarding the plans for Silence and Hannibal adaptation, Bryan Fuller has said that Graham would temporarily bow out during seasons 5 and 6 for those story lines

That's the opposite of what I've heard, unless something has changed recently. There's a bit about incorporating Will into those seasons in here and in some other interviews, so maybe they really will kill Jack and possibly have Will take over that role in some way. All this added backstory makes it a little harder to imagine how Jack or anyone else would be able to get Will out of retirement in the beginning of Red Dragon, and they already did a version of that in the pilot, so maybe he stays on after catching Hannibal. I don't know, the only bet I'd make right now is that Bedelia will be dinner soon.

Paradox Personified posted:

Couple preview images, honeycomb man and a lovely perverted ladymister justice? There's a brain in one scale, what, a liver in the other?

Somebody said when it came up before that it was a brain and a heart, but I don't remember anyone mentioning that it looks like he's wearing a judge's robe. So that'll make for a fun trial. :D

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

So book accurate casting for Jack would pretty much be Ron Perlman.

I was thinking that the most book accurate so far from the description was Harvey Keitel (my least favorite Crawford despite being a big Harvey Keitel fan).

Now I really want Lifetime to cast Ron Perlman as Crawford in its Starling series. Holy poo poo. He is such an acting floozy, too, he would totally do it. You bastard, you made me want to see this happen.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Anyone know what human body part Crawford ate this time in the premiere? Looked like just normal white fish and urchin roe?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah it's hard to fake sashimi. That was real.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it may have been the..............."flounder".

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

You can remove the fatty tissue that covers and surrounds cells, the opaque look we're used to, while keeping the structure intact. Then soak it in chemicals and heat it (cook!) to create this kind of mesh that holds all but the fatty tissues in place. An electrical current pulls the fatty tissues out, giving you transparent tissue, like... clear enough to read a newspaper through, you could make a cuke & cream cheese sandwich it's so transparent. A ton of chems are used, but you can even use a sugar syrup or fructose to do it, if I remember this all right.
Maybe Hannibal did a version of that- I wouldn't doubt it. He's got to see it as a challenge to himself to make human meat taste as many different ways, while appearing as many different ways, as possible.

Here, here's one image that's not the insanely clear stuff some people are used to seeing. Glass sashimi isn't a thing (that I know of,) so now I want to go and do it in one of the food trucks here on the Gulf Coast.

I PERSONALLY ENJOY HOW HE DIDN'T SLATHER IT WITH KETCHUP AND RANCH DRESSING FROM A FOIL PACKET OHHHHH THIS SHOW

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Toadsniff posted:

Anyone know what human body part Crawford ate this time in the premiere? Looked like just normal white fish and urchin roe?

The urchin was probably real considering we saw him take the stuff out of the urchin, though the "white fish" was bleached flesh according to the show's food consultant

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Janice Poon's always been such a cool chick, and in the industry for a drat long time. Overjoyed to see her on this powerhouse of a show.

e: hahah, Hallucidinner Table. "I want it to look like a baby Wendigo hatching from an icy snowball from hell." See what I mean? Chick's cool.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 5, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snak posted:

Yeah, this show takes place in a world where 1) Serial Killers are an epidemic, and each kill at least a dozen people, and 2) Psychology is magic, and can accomplish anything from mind control to forcing people to believe they are other people.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Hannibal: Psychology is Magic

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Was a little late catching up, but I wanna talk about the opening fight.

How could something without words be so jam-packed with info? Crawford coming in, like he's going to the death chamber. Hannibal, giving his fake "this is how normal people do it, right?" smile. Then the light falling from his eyes as he gloms onto Crawford's serious intent, and places the knife just so, ready for it. And the whole fight jumping off because Crawford glances at the knife. Only a glance! So much restraint. Such sure film-making!

And the fight itself. How could a stupid fight be this involving, this climactic? Maybe because it told a story or arc. Again, packful of information, Jack's overwhelming force versus Hannibal's supernatural litheness. The crazy, out of control centrifugal force of these titans clashing. The fact that Hannibal is staggered at times, trying to figure out what to do in the face of what is basically a polar bear attack. And him winning...by outsmarting Jack AGAIN. Oh my god I could go on forever. I rewinded it like a billion times, and only then went on to watch the rest of the episode, which deserves pages of writing of its own...

This loving show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It also helps that Fishburn was in "Six months of kung fu stagefighting camp: the movie".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

He wasn't doing much kung fu though, was he? More like boxing/WWF/lion mauling. Versus cat springing/hell-beast/aikodo Hannibal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

It also helps that Fishburn was in "Six months of kung fu stagefighting camp: the movie".

Yea I really bought the close-quarters brawling him and Mads were doing there. One of the more brutal fight scenes I've seen on television actually, just so intense.

Edit: Not kung fu, but they were blocking each others punches in a way that made it look like they had martial arts training.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

He wasn't doing much kung fu though, was he? More like boxing/WWF/lion mauling. Versus cat springing/hell-beast/aikodo Hannibal.

No, but I'm sure the training translates, just in terms of how to sell the physicality of a fight.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Yeah, in talks Mads said the only way Hannibal could win against that was fight dirty, he loved it.

The only reason we got this fight, and this early, is because Laurence begged Fuller for a fight- he said he'd been trained a bit and wanted to use that in Hannibal so bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The only reason we got this fight, and this early, is because Laurence begged Fuller for a fight- he said he'd been trained a bit and wanted to use that in Hannibal so bad.

Its apples and oranges, but I do wonder how much different that scene would be if they didn't put it up front and just naturally progressed the season to that climax. I guess it would lead to a much bigger "OH poo poo" reaction later when the showdown finally happened; as it is we get a slightly lower level of tension but its going to be spread out over the entire season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Its apples and oranges, but I do wonder how much different that scene would be if they didn't put it up front and just naturally progressed the season to that climax. I guess it would lead to a much bigger "OH poo poo" reaction later when the showdown finally happened; as it is we get a slightly lower level of tension but its going to be spread out over the entire season.

In the walkthrough, Fuller said that he put it up there for flow reasons, saying that the opening half was just too much talking. He said he looked at how the season was going to go, and how many "oh poo poo" moments there were, and it was ok to spend that reveal up front. I mean, it's not like we already all don't know where the show is going in broad strokes; we know Hannibal is going to get caught, end up in jail, etc.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

Was a little late catching up, but I wanna talk about the opening fight.

How could something without words be so jam-packed with info? Crawford coming in, like he's going to the death chamber. Hannibal, giving his fake "this is how normal people do it, right?" smile. Then the light falling from his eyes as he gloms onto Crawford's serious intent, and places the knife just so, ready for it. And the whole fight jumping off because Crawford glances at the knife. Only a glance! So much restraint. Such sure film-making!

And the fight itself. How could a stupid fight be this involving, this climactic? Maybe because it told a story or arc. Again, packful of information, Jack's overwhelming force versus Hannibal's supernatural litheness. The crazy, out of control centrifugal force of these titans clashing. The fact that Hannibal is staggered at times, trying to figure out what to do in the face of what is basically a polar bear attack. And him winning...by outsmarting Jack AGAIN. Oh my god I could go on forever. I rewinded it like a billion times, and only then went on to watch the rest of the episode, which deserves pages of writing of its own...

This loving show.

That whole opening scene reminded me of the line from Silence of the Lambs that was something to the effect of Clarice looking at Jame Gumm and them both knowing exactly who the other one was. I can't remember the exact line, but the look that Hannibal and Jack share at the beginning of this episode seemed to be an homage to that moment from Silence.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I really bought the close-quarters brawling him and Mads were doing there. One of the more brutal fight scenes I've seen on television actually, just so intense.

Edit: Not kung fu, but they were blocking each others punches in a way that made it look like they had martial arts training.

And the throws! That was INSANE! He straight up just flipped a grown man over his shoulder like a sack of flour. I wonder how many takes that took to work out how to do it and not break Mads' nose....

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
What I thought was brilliant was how the fight began and how it ended. We'd seen Hannibal staging a scene when he couldn't be sure of the outcome. Placing weapons, arranging his position in the environment. This one was just one of those days only it turns out the prep was necessary. I like that he doesn't put himself in a position to be flat footed but even with those preparations, the dominating power of Crawford is formidable. But in light of that, Hannibal ends the fight like a bear breaking down a cabin door to get some salmon inside. But it was just another evening preparing a meal.

I'm full of questions but I like what isn't there. No taunting from Hannibal, and not indication that it was a trap laid out for Crawford. Just one day the ruse is up and Hannibal has to react. Crawford shows up alone so as someone mentioned was this a personal revenge? Was he in another room and made a grisly discovery? I love the possibilities because it suggests a persistent level of threat that Hannibal exists under. You always hear of criminals on the run always looking over their shoulder for the police to arrive but Hannibal surrounds himself with law enforcement specifically tasked with finding him. So it could have begun like any of the dinner dates he shares with Crawford and something has shifted the winds and now it's fully on. It's an exciting way to demonstrate the high wire experience that Hannibal has put himself into.

drat I can't wait to see how that scene originates.

Edit:

Gaussian posted:

That whole opening scene reminded me of the line from Silence of the Lambs that was something to the effect of Clarice looking at Jame Gumm and them both knowing exactly who the other one was. I can't remember the exact line, but the look that Hannibal and Jack share at the beginning of this episode seemed to be an homage to that moment from Silence.

I dug it up:

quote:

As he put the card on the table, the moth flew. It came from behind him, past his head and lit between them, on a cabinet above the sink.
He looked at it. When she didn't look at it, when her eyes never left his face, he knew.
Their eyes met and they knew each other.
Mr Gumb tilted his head a little to the side. He smiled.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 6, 2014

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gaussian posted:

Yea the similar moments would be Jack glancing down at the knife right before he draws his gun, and Clarice sees a death's head moth in Gumb's house. They both stare at each other for a second and Gumb's face completely changes and the audience knows that he knows that she knows. And she knows that he knows that she knows. Everybody knows all at once.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The way Hannibal methodically backs up and charges the door is creepy. Similar to the way he cut the neurologist's face when Will was in the MRI. Just something that needs to be done, so he applies the appropriate amount of force.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slamhound posted:

The way Hannibal methodically backs up and charges the door is creepy. Similar to the way he cut the neurologist's face when Will was in the MRI. Just something that needs to be done, so he applies the appropriate amount of force.

Including while shoving rubber tubing down some guys throat so he can stick an ear in his stomach. There have been a lot of unsettling moments in this show, way more than most, but that was up there. The sound direction during that scene was perfect.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the similar moments would be Jack glancing down at the knife right before he draws his gun, and Clarice sees a death's head moth in Gumb's house. They both stare at each other for a second and Gumb's face completely changes and the audience knows that he knows that she knows. And she knows that he knows that she knows. Everybody knows all at once.

Including the audience. It was a pretty HOLY gently caress situation for me, for things to have gone that far. It made me unsteady as a viewer, and stuck to the character's viewpoint. It, in a weird way, makes me think of a scene from I think the third season of Breaking Bad, the one where the twins come after Hank, and he gets a phone call right before they strike. And that's loving high praise.

Slamhound posted:

How about when he buries the glass into Crawford's neck. His face didn't change, his arm just dropped to his side. Soooooo creepy. Sooooooo wonderful.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I kind of wish that's how Hopkins played Hannibal now. He showed way too much rage when he was attacking people.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mu Zeta posted:

I kind of wish that's how Hopkins played Hannibal now. He showed way too much rage when he was attacking people.

In Silence it made sense since he was a caged animal let loose. However, in the other ones he kept it, and it was not the slick and catlike that the book and show have him as.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I watched Silence of the Lambs last night and it still holds up, really good movie. It's funny that it's less gruesomely violent than the show, but could never be shown on American tv because you see Buffalo Bill's pubes and Miggs says oval office. I wish Manhunter was on Netflix, would like to watch it again.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

marktheando posted:

I watched Silence of the Lambs last night and it still holds up, really good movie. It's funny that it's less gruesomely violent than the show, but could never be shown on American tv because you see Buffalo Bill's pubes and Miggs says oval office. I wish Manhunter was on Netflix, would like to watch it again.

I don't know if you have The Sundance channel on cable, but it's playing Manhunter today at 3pm PST (two and a half hours).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

I find Silence of the Lambs more disturbing than this show exactly for that reason. Everything is very low-key and matter-of-fact, there isn't a whole lot of flash to it. Makes the subject matter all the more terrifying.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

I don't know if you have The Sundance channel on cable, but it's playing Manhunter today at 3pm PST (two and a half hours).

No, I'm not American (I just lie to Netflix's servers about my location to access US Netflix). Really I should just pick up Manhunter on DVD/Bluray.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, Manhunter has been in frequent rotation on Sundance lately, I'm sure it's not a coincidence with the airing of the show. Silence of the Lambs and the Hopkins Hannibal film both occasionally make the rounds on AMC in mildly censored versions (blurring and muting style).

Re: the fight, I love how Hannibal doesn't seem to show any facial change when he goes and starts charging the door.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Yeah, in talks Mads said the only way Hannibal could win against that was fight dirty, he loved it.

Between this and the Tobias fight last season, I love how Hannibal totally relies on cunning and dirty tricks to win his physical battles. He's not the best at everything, which is a really nice contrast from other TV serial killers I'd rather not talk about here.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I for one never cared for Hopkins' portrayal of Lecter, but maybe that's because I read the books first. For one thing he was too old. For another, he played the character too intentionally creepy. The scariest thing about Lecter is how fundamentally disarming he is, and that was never the case with Hopkins. He always put the audience immediately on edge.

Mads is playing the character I imagined when reading the books. Hopkins seems vulgar in comparison.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Re: the fight, I love how Hannibal doesn't seem to show any facial change when he goes and starts charging the door.
The best thing about that is that he's already hit the door twice. He's not panicked, he's just hammering nails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Oh gently caress it's like christmas, I wasn't paying attention to TV schedules and Hannibal sneaks up on me! The day suddenly got so, so much longer.....

• Locked thread