Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Artix posted:

No joke, I would totally put Adachi in my PQ party if he was available, just to see what the gently caress his skillset is.

He's the same as the main character, his persona is even just an alt of Izanagi. He'd probably just have his boss fight skills plus the wild card ability, assuming that is a thing in Q.

busydelicious posted:

Which totally makes me hope that the FemMC can be unlocked in Persona Q. I mean, why tease like that, ya know?

I really love the concept of being able to choose to be able to play a female protagonist, but I haven't seen Atlus mention anything about that being in current/future projects. I know it is mostly played by dudes, but I wish they would at least acknowledge or express want to reach out to more womenfolk (or more $$ in general).

Female MC is clearly the best Persona main character. No contest. If you have to use one of the main characters in Q I'd definitely use her (assuming the option is there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ImpAtom posted:

I really suspect this is a budget issue. The games are all made on shoestring budgets and adding a second character route would require a lot more scripting and dialogue writing and voice acting even for something as simple as P3P.

Which sucks, mind you, but I think it's less a case of will than way considering they seemed to enjoy the P3FMC route.

Simple solution: give the player an equal number of male and female love interests regardless of player sex, then make the female route change nothing but your character model and the pronouns people use to refer to you.

(Yes, I know that's probably less realistic than them getting a budget big enough to make a completely separate female route like P3P)

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 6, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm surprised they haven't included a gay link yet, especially considering you could get Tatsuya with Jun in P2, and because of how flaming Kanji's shadow is. Hell, I kinda wanted to date Kanji, I wish they didn't write him as "don't worry, totally straight! (okay, maybe he likes dudes too!:iiam:)"

Wait, no, there was FeMC and Elizabeth, but there's no dude-gay, you know?

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 6, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was pretty disappointed with Kanji over that, too. It seemed like they were afraid to commit to making him gay. That or they really, really liked the joke about him being confused over Naoto and could not let it go. Still the best character though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Manatee Cannon posted:

He's the same as the main character, his persona is even just an alt of Izanagi. He'd probably just have his boss fight skills plus the wild card ability, assuming that is a thing in Q.

Well, yeah, but that would be boring. I have more faith in Atlus than that.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I was pretty disappointed with Kanji over that, too. It seemed like they were afraid to commit to making him gay. That or they really, really liked the joke about him being confused over Naoto and could not let it go. Still the best character though.
The point is that people at school were projecting onto him, and maybe Atlus wanted to trick us into doing the same, but that really just confused people, and it feels like a missed opportunity.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I really suspect this is a budget issue. The games are all made on shoestring budgets and adding a second character route would require a lot more scripting and dialogue writing and voice acting even for something as simple as P3P.

Which sucks, mind you, but I think it's less a case of will than way considering they seemed to enjoy the P3FMC route.

Wait, isn't the shoestring budget reserved exclusively for the mainline series? :v:

Seriously, though: I would take FeMC over Minato, Marie or any of the velvet crew.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah they should really just retcon the P3 MC to be FemMC, she is just straight up a better character in every way. They probably won't though. :smith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Female MC is a better character but male MC probably fits the overall tone better.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah they should really just retcon the P3 MC to be FemMC, she is just straight up a better character in every way. They probably won't though. :smith:

He got at least two movies and his fate is indicated heavily in P4. It's far, far too late now.

Danbri fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 6, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

The point is that people at school were projecting onto him, and maybe Atlus wanted to trick us into doing the same, but that really just confused people, and it feels like a missed opportunity.

That makes sense I suppose. Still a shame though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Technically there's already a gay link: Aigis in P3P's female main character route.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Endorph posted:

Technically there's already a gay link: Aigis in P3P's female main character route.

Finally, a game that answers the question "Is it gay if it's with a robot".

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
So I played the new P4U2 patch in Kyoto today and it was great. Overall improvements for everyone, which made pretty much all of my hesitations about it from before disappear.

In other slightly related news, the Persona 4 day-to-day music plays in almost all of the bathrooms I've been to in Kyoto. Awkwardly peeing to Engrish Meguro music is definitely one of my favorite moments of my trip so far.

There's a tournament event here in a few days that I may attend if I'm not busy making my way to the Dark Souls 2 Cafe in Tokyo by then. We'll see. I might get some footage but it's difficult to get anything filmed in loud arcades.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

Elizabeth's too, though it's technically not a Social Link it's structured and written in a similar way to one.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I'm really, really hoping for a gender choice and/or homosexual social link options in P5. I would have loved to date Kanji. :gay:

Oh well, a boy can dream.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

laplace posted:

In other slightly related news, the Persona 4 day-to-day music plays in almost all of the bathrooms I've been to in Kyoto. Awkwardly peeing to Engrish Meguro music is definitely one of my favorite moments of my trip so far.

I'm visiting Japan for the first time in April, if I came back telling people this nobody would believe me.

I'm not going all the way to Japan to play a game eventually coming out in English but it might be nice to visit an arcade, is there a specific one in Tokyo good for this kind of thing? Also I'd have to convince my wife to go visit an Arcade and watch me play games for a bit

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm visiting Japan for the first time in April, if I came back telling people this nobody would believe me.

I'm not going all the way to Japan to play a game eventually coming out in English but it might be nice to visit an arcade, is there a specific one in Tokyo good for this kind of thing? Also I'd have to convince my wife to go visit an Arcade and watch me play games for a bit

I have never been to Tokyo (I live in Kumamoto, which is about 8 hours south by the bullet train on a completely different island) so I'm unsure. Arcades are called 'Game Centers' in Japan so don't ask for directions for an Arcade -- if you do, it will just lead to a mall.

Most P4U2 machines are universal cabs so they have lots of games in them. I also played both the new Blazblue and Guilty Gear in the same sitting as the new P4U2 patch.

Anyway, you will likely be able to find a location pretty easily.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

laplace posted:

I have never been to Tokyo (I live in Kumamoto, which is about 8 hours south by the bullet train on a completely different island) so I'm unsure. Arcades are called 'Game Centers' in Japan so don't ask for directions for an Arcade -- if you do, it will just lead to a mall.

Most P4U2 machines are universal cabs so they have lots of games in them. I also played both the new Blazblue and Guilty Gear in the same sitting as the new P4U2 patch.

Anyway, you will likely be able to find a location pretty easily.

Ahh when you mentioned the Dark Souls Cafe I assumed Tokyo. I actually wanted to check out the new GG as well so that's pretty cool.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ahh when you mentioned the Dark Souls Cafe I assumed Tokyo. I actually wanted to check out the new GG as well so that's pretty cool.

Well, I'm traveling to Tokyo in a few days (potentially) and that is where the cafe is, I just haven't been there yet. Then again, I might just stay in Kyoto until my rail pass ends.

Anyway, I find the closer I get to the bigger cities the less I see of the non-tekken, non-street fighter cabinets. I'm sure there will be places in Tokyo to play P4U2, but you may need to search around.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Butt Ghost posted:

:unsmith:

Also, Junpei and Yosuke potentially being bros feels like a whole new realm of possibility has opened.

On the other hand, Yu's Shadow, and pretty much every other is loving chilling. Maybe I got numbed to the Shadow's trashtalk in P4, but :drat:, seeing Shadow Yu saying to Yosuke's he's just a pathetic loser clinging to him, or that everyone is just baggage, or Shadow Mitsuru telling Akihiko he's just a worthless grunt just good enough to be sent to the grinder or Shadow Yosuke and Junpei taunting the other real self over being a sidekick is a bit unpleasant on a wholly different scale. I like those characters dammit!

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 6, 2014

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

Female MC is clearly the best Persona main character. No contest. If you have to use one of the main characters in Q I'd definitely use her (assuming the option is there).

That's a funny way to spell Maya Amano.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

MarsDragon posted:

That's a funny way to spell Maya Amano.

Agreed. She's the premier "big sister" figure in the games shes in amd tje writer's remembered part of thay role is being the biggest troll ever.

Still want more FeMC though

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I know it would have been borderline impossible for a variety of reasons, but my kokoro wish is to have a new campaign for P4 as Yuna Narukami. Maybe get a new Velvet Room guy with dumb trashbag JNCOs and Doc Martens to counter Marie's Hot Topic schtick.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

I know it would have been borderline impossible for a variety of reasons, but my kokoro wish is to have a new campaign for P4 as Yuna Narukami. Maybe get a new Velvet Room guy with dumb trashbag JNCOs and Doc Martens to counter Marie's Hot Topic schtick.

Yuu Narukami. Then all they have to do is record the FeMC lines and call it a day. Worked fine in Persona 3 Portable for all the times the VAs said "Him"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I hope Persona 5 just has a choice right out of the gate. That'd be muy bueno, and probably easier to do than trying to awkwardly shoehorn a female MC into a pre-existing game when they port it five years from now.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Just give it a female MC and no choice, force loser nerds to get creeped on or something. Maybe try to get them to put it in perspective. But that might be hoping for a bit much and its pretty unlikely.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hubris.height posted:

Just give it a female MC and no choice, force loser nerds to get creeped on or something. Maybe try to get them to put it in perspective. But that might be hoping for a bit much and its pretty unlikely.

This would be the funniest option, just do the typical 'you have been sent to live/you just moved in/whatever' text and then bam, chick MC, no other options. The internet meltdowns would be beautiful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hubris.height posted:

There's already been a Persona game that only had a female protagonist.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Not to mention P3's FMC wasn't met with "Eeeeew cooties", as far as I know? I mean, creepers gonna creep anyway, but overall I don't think there would be any significant meltdown?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Endorph posted:

I wish there was a no combat mode of Person 2, cuz I'd love to play Eternal Punishment, but the combat is just so bad and boring.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Endorph posted:

Maya wasn't a total blank slate though and Persona 2 wasn't half dating sim. :colbert:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I'm not implying their isn't. Persona 2 IS and EP are great games and definitely worth playing and a mention here for anyone who hasn't played them yet.

I'm suggesting that it would be not only good to do again, but funny to make nerds play through a game building social links as a female (without a choice, and crafted around it), maybe expose them to what its like for women to deal with them in social situations.

edit: everyone above me pretty much covered the same points.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Maya wasn't a total blank slate though and Persona 2 wasn't half dating sim. :colbert:
Neither is the FeMC from P3P, and also P3 and P4 are full dating sim.

EDIT: Also I realize this may be a startling opinion but a game where you do nothing but play a schoolgirl getting creeped on by nerds doesn't sound very fun. I would not enjoy my time with that game. Not to mention I doubt that many people would care about a female protag-only thing? I mean you can find :biotruths: posts wherever you go but it's just a few very loud idiots, most people wouldn't give a poo poo.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

You know, Persona 4 is missing an epilogue expansion where you play as a female character. It's pretty much all they can do if they want to milk the series any more since Yu's vacation days have all been used up.

E: Persona Q Friday

Rise translated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm2C3WW2w-w

Fuuka translated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIa6xj0Bs5A

Dehry fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 7, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dehry posted:

You know, Persona 4 is missing an epilogue expansion where you play as a female character. It's pretty much all they can do if they want to milk the series any more since Yu's vacation days have all been used up.

Hi, this is P4A.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not quite sure why people think having a female only protag will somehow "own" otaku. These are the same people who will ONLY play female characters because "mai waifu :swoon:." So you're going to be appealing to one brand of otaku no matter what you do! You should just be able to play whichever gender because there's no real reason not to, especially in a game series where the MC is supposed to be a self insert.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Hi, this is P4A.

P4A takes up what, two days? Don't know how long P4U will take but if it also takes two days, then there's still three days left of Yu's vacation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Just a string of games about mundane details of Yu's vacation nonsensically turning into grand adventures. Yu goes to buy a new coat and he winds up fighting the reincarnated ghost of Date Masamune or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Endorph posted:

Just a string of games about mundane details of Yu's vacation nonsensically turning into grand adventures. Yu goes to buy a new coat and he winds up fighting the reincarnated ghost of Date Masamune or something.

At this point Yu already has like the busiest summer already between Arena, Q, and Dancing. Give the guy a break!