Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

How much is it in Yen?

The bluray box's retail price is 26250 yen, but Amazon is selling it for about 19000.

I'm fine with how Aniplex does it. For normal localized releases, they're so worried about Japanese customers reverse-importing it to save money that they purposefully make the releases subpar, stripping out all the extras. Aniplex's business model of charging more but giving the same thing is nice if you're a fan who wants the extras. And this is just speculation, but I would think the market of people who want to own physical copies but aren't hardcore fans is shrinking, what with most people watching things online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

How much is it in Yen?

It's a wash, after shipping. MSRP on the LE is 9975 ($99.75), amazon.co.jp has it marked down to 8105 ($81.05), amiami at 8720. EMS for something like that would be $10-15.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lamhirh posted:

The bluray box's retail price is 26250 yen, but Amazon is selling it for about 19000.

I'm fine with how Aniplex does it. For normal localized releases, they're so worried about Japanese customers reverse-importing it to save money that they purposefully make the releases subpar, stripping out all the extras. Aniplex's business model of charging more but giving the same thing is nice if you're a fan who wants the extras. And this is just speculation, but I would think the market of people who want to own physical copies but aren't hardcore fans is shrinking, what with most people watching things online.

Does that version still have the english subtitles?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

cheetah7071 posted:

Does that version still have the english subtitles?

The Japanese box set release? No.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

jonjonaug posted:

The Japanese box set release? No.

So when someone said Aniplex is ripping off people too lazy to import, they actually meant they're ripping off everybody who wants it in english, which is very very different.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

cheetah7071 posted:

So when someone said Aniplex is ripping off people too lazy to import, they actually meant they're ripping off everybody who wants it in english, which is very very different.

OK here's how Madoka's disc releases work.

Series Individual Volume Release: The BDs released in America are slimmed down versions of the Japanese release, but only slightly. The Japanese release has cast commentary for every episode with a different production staff member sitting in on each one, along with three drama CDs. The English release has a dub. The limited edition English release has the soundtrack CDs that were released with volumes 2, 4, and 6 of the Japanese release. The Japanese release by volume would cost around 350 dollars or so, I believe, at the time they were released on Amazon (not including shipping costs, which were higher at the time). The English limited edition, while having less contents, cost around 225 dollars.

Box Set Series Release: This was Japanese only and does not include the bonus CDs, it's just the episodes plus commentary. This set costs around 190 dollars on Amazon. It's closest equivalent would be the regular edition Blu-rays, which cost about 120 dollars total on rightstuf.

Movies - These are all direct imports of the Japanese release with translations for the included booklet containing staff interviews and the like. They're priced nearly equivalently to the Japanese retail cost. Amazon has them for cheaper in Japan, but with the added shipping costs to import it yourself it works out to about even, I think.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

jonjonaug posted:

OK here's how Madoka's disc releases work.

Series Individual Volume Release: The BDs released in America are slimmed down versions of the Japanese release, but only slightly. The Japanese release has cast commentary for every episode with a different production staff member sitting in on each one, along with three drama CDs. The English release has a dub. The limited edition English release has the soundtrack CDs that were released with volumes 2, 4, and 6 of the Japanese release. The Japanese release by volume would cost around 350 dollars or so, I believe, at the time they were released on Amazon (not including shipping costs, which were higher at the time). The English limited edition, while having less contents, cost around 225 dollars.

Box Set Series Release: This was Japanese only and does not include the bonus CDs, it's just the episodes plus commentary. This set costs around 190 dollars on Amazon. It's closest equivalent would be the regular edition Blu-rays, which cost about 120 dollars total on rightstuf.

Movies - These are all direct imports of the Japanese release with translations for the included booklet containing staff interviews and the like. They're priced nearly equivalently to the Japanese retail cost. Amazon has them for cheaper in Japan, but with the added shipping costs to import it yourself it works out to about even, I think.

Ok, thanks. I was mostly wondering if I should move my purchase of the new movie to import or not, and this helps a lot.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be more willing to wait x months for some company in the West to handle the release here (and thus avoid reverse importation problems) than encourage Aniplex's bloated prices.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

I'd be more willing to wait x months for some company in the West to handle the release here (and thus avoid reverse importation problems) than encourage Aniplex's bloated prices.

Aniplex USA is the company handling the release in the West. The import is also the official release.

Maybe we'll get it at a cheaper price eventually. But that would be some X number of years in the future judging by past release patterns, not months.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

jonjonaug posted:

Aniplex USA is the company handling the release in the West. The import is also the official release.

Maybe we'll get it at a cheaper price eventually. But that would be some X number of years in the future judging by past release patterns, not months.
Garden of Sinners JP import - February 2011
Garden of Sinners domestic release - December 2012

Fate/Zero JP import 1 - March 2012
Fate/Zero domestic release 1 - November 2013

Fate/Zero JP import 2 - September 2012
Fate/Zero JP domestic release 2 - December 2013

So look for a domestic release next year given their previous import/release patterns.

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013
Are the movies worth watching? I heard they were pretty much the series, but in movie form. Also, are there any manga worth worth reading.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Do you like better animation, hearing an almost whole new soundtrack? Do you like much higher production values? If the answer is yes, then the movies are worth watching.

As for manga, read the OP.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Uniscott posted:

Are the movies worth watching? I heard they were pretty much the series, but in movie form. Also, are there any manga worth worth reading.

Manga spin offs are listed in the OP. The Different Story is very much worth checking out, the others range from okay to awful.

The two compilation films are worth watching at least once. The third movie is a sequel but at the same time manages to very much be its own thing. It's interesting, if nothing else. It'll come out on BD in two months, do I'd recommend waiting for that instead of downloading the camrip (which is pretty bad).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Finally saw Rebellion and also marathonned this thread to soak up everyone's impressions on it.

Short version: We're inside the MATRIX which sort of parodies what this show would be like if everything was stereotypical, and that is actually an illusion Matrix inside an alternate reality of an alternate reality of an alternate reality of an infinite time loop that only ended when someone did something right, except bunnycat's a dick and hosed up the most perfect ending to a series I have ever seen and to fix ALL THAT Homura goes off the deep end and creates yet another alternate reality to trump them all. One where she's the loving EDITOR IN CHIEF (you know, the ultimate evil!)

Okay, that may be only slightly satirical but hey. My mind is still processing what I just saw.

Sequel bait: Homura's new reality is probably about as stable as a house of cards. Little things I caught, like Sayaka still having her ring, or big things, like Madoka almost godding out again right then and there…yeah…

The Incubators really don't have emotions of any kind, do they? Even when a horde of them are being blown to poo poo they just say "We don't get it." Kyubey sees Homura turn into the loving devil and the closest thing he come to "OH poo poo!" is "Human emotions are too dangerous to mess with. Outta here." Too late, though. Looks like at the end he got his infinite bodies infinitely crunched until he finally figured out what the meaning of fear is. There's some sick satisfaction in seeing that little poo poo face consequences for once, even if the circumstances are troubling.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Speedball posted:

The Incubators really don't have emotions of any kind, do they?

The best example of this is Kyubey's conversation with Madoka where he matter-of-factly compares human beings to the cattle we slaughter.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it provides good philosophical and ethical discussion fodder too

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wonder how intelligent they really are. Near as I understand it, emotions really only exist in life forms with highly-developed brains. The Incubators are a hive mind; so maybe they're collectively intelligent because their minds are hooked up like a parallel processor but individually they're dumb as ants are individually. And because of their infinite respawn ability they have no real concept of empathy or individual value because they're all expendable, and so they view pretty much everything else in the universe as an expendable resource too. They understand human responses enough to know how to tailor their behavior to manipulate them, but that's it. The hive mind thing might also explain why Kyubey lies by omission instead of telling direct lies; introducing totally false data to the collective is a no-no. He'll never say "This apple is blue" but he'll say "Oh, yeah, it's possible there's a blue apple…somewhere…"

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Hey, when is the 3rd movie OST going to be released? Also this is the best Mami joke img ever:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
That is definitely up there.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

GloomMouse posted:

Hey, when is the 3rd movie OST going to be released? Also this is the best Mami joke img ever:

It'll be released as part of the limited edition of the film BD release, so April 2nd.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I finally sat down and watched the camrip of Rebellion and i was fine until about an hour in then i just stopped comprehending anything and i would very much appreciate it if someone could explain what all happened in that movie.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Smornstein posted:

I finally sat down and watched the camrip of Rebellion and i was fine until about an hour in then i just stopped comprehending anything and i would very much appreciate it if someone could explain what all happened in that movie.

Cliffnotes version (massive spoilers obviously)

-Homura overextends herself in the real world, starts to become a witch.

-Incubators use :science: to seal Homura in what seems to be her own pocket universe and essentially cut off the effect of Madoka's wish on her, all for the purposes of discovering a method to subvert the Law of Cycles and restore the witch system, because it's more efficient. Yeah bunnycat is still a dick. This allows the witchification process to continue unimpeded.

-For reasons (magic?), Homura's barrier manifests as Mitakihara and unwittingly draws in all the principle characters to "reprise their roles", so to speak. The magical girls, any other important people related to them, etc.

-Madoka, being, you know, a goddess, knew what was going on and allowed herself, Sayaka, and Nagisa to be pulled into Homura's witch barrier in an effort to save her from within. I don't remember if Madoka losing her memory of being a goddess was planned or an unintentional side effect.

-The first 2/3rds of the movie happen, Homura slowly figures out that she became a witch, Kyubey explains to her what he did and why everyone else was there, Homura attempts complete her witch transformation and essentially kill herself to save Madoka from the Incubators. During all this she has a conversation with Madoka (without her memories mind you) and through a line of questioning ascertains that she is unhappy with her role as goddess and misses her normal life.

-Sayaka and Nagisa spring into action and with the help of the other girls break through the barrier the Incubators set up, allowing Madoka to take Homura to Magical Girl Valhalla or whatever people are calling it now.

-Homura, believing that her wish to save Madoka still hadn't been granted, and likely driven by an extreme amount of despair and emotional instability, uses her own magic to separate Madoka from the Law of Cycles and rewrite the universe with her own witch barrier (or at least that's how I understood it) to have Madoka in it, allowing her to live a normal life once more. As a side effect, Sayaka and Nagisa are restored to their normal lives, relatively speaking. The act of "defying a god" is where the whole Demon Homura imagery comes from, obviously.

-It's implied that Homura's control over this world is incredibly unstable and that she failed in completely separating Madoka from her status as a goddess, so she is capable of remembering everything if things go wrong.

What happens after this remains to be seen.

NoGoodNight
Dec 26, 2013
So there's this huge mega-critique of Rebellion in this Reddit post here. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

The bolded statements are generally the same take-away I've seen on this thread. To illustrate, a buddy I saw Rebellion with managed to suffer through the TV series but loved the movie, simply because the core concepts were flipped on their faces(spoiler?).

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Quotes from the essay: But beauty is only skin deep, and past that skin, Rebellion’s imagery, at least in comparison to its predecessor, has all the depth of a kiddie pool.

...Rebellion is in fact aimed at straight adult males, and no one else. ...That’s why there are ridiculously over-the-top dance transformations that end in poses which put additional emphasis on the girls’ thighs as their skirts billow upwards slightly in the wind. That’s why the often-dreamed-of romance between Sayaka and Kyouko is expanded from “implied, if you squint” to “practically canonical”. ...Fan-service or no fan-service, that, to me, bespeaks a terrible fall.

Urobuchi: From the start, the idea was “Homura becomes a witch, and the story takes place inside her barrier”. But at the time, I wanted to end the story with Madoka taking Homura away with her. So, I thought the story would end this time for real (laughs). But both Iwakami-san and Shinbou-san were like, “No, we want the story to keep going after this” and wouldn’t give me the OK. So then when I was getting really worried, Shinbou-san was like “Might as well just make Madoka and Homura into enemies”. And that suggestion was basically the breakthrough. I really agreed that Homura might be plausible as Madoka’s equal opposite.

So there you have it. Homura’s “betrayal” of Madoka, the single most controversial event of the movie and the axis upon which possible future iterations of Madoka Magica will turn, was the direct result of Shinbou and Iwakami desiring franchise continuation beyond the third movie.
Yep.
Man, if this doesn’t confirm my thesis right here on the spot, I don’t know what else possibly can. This isn’t something where I have to speculate the creative intent and rationalize it with flowery language. This is one of the brains behind the work coming out and saying, “We made a creative decision based on factors that were not intrinsically in the best interest of the story I initially wanted to tell.” What more do you even need?!

It's a very long essay so please forgive me for just skimming it, but the author's thesis seems to be self-evident and unnecessary. For such a long piece of writing, their ultimate find seems to be "Rebellion is bad because the show was so good and this was so different from what made the show good, it must have been the result of Madoka being made into a cash cow."

This, I think, doesn't give Urobuchi the respect he deserves, if the series is as moving as the essay's author claims it is. Who understands the risk of Madoka's commercialization more than its writer? Consider his predicament: Madoka is going to turn into a cash cow, with or without him, and this is the last movie he's going to work on before the story is out of his control. This is essentially the groundwork for Rebellion: his last chance to tell a story he wants to tell with these characters. The commercialization of certain elements is not merely an inevitability; it's one of the initial conceits of the fiction. How many rebellions are occurring in Rebellion? Furthermore, what story does the original Madoka more deserve than one in which its own writer rebels against it? The author of this essay seems to not only find the film to be displeasurable but in fact hostile to the ideology of the original story. Personally, I have to ask: what more can we ask of a creator, working on their final sequel, than the deliberate undermining (read: deconstruction) of their own ideological doll?

The author writes off several segments of the movie as fanservice (which is to be regarded as: existing for the visual pleasure of the audience while serving no narrative purpose). First, I think this is a hasty judgment to make of recurring visual elements in a film that would be difficult for an English speaker to have seen more than once. Second, I think this is also a sort of conflation. Rebellion is a film, which means it's more spectacular than the original. However, the quality of being a spectacle does not necessitate a lack of thematic purpose. I think this is especially true of the dancing motif, which hits so hard at so many points in the film that it seems thoughtless to dismiss it as "eye candy."

The original Madoka is a closed system with an easy world of binaries to understand: hope, despair; grief seeds, soul gems; magical girls, witches; humans, Kyuubey; etc. Rebellion removes itself from this closed system by blurring these definitions, repurposing ones it finds outdated, and adding in new elements that may not have obvious counterparts. If the original Madoka is a very clean, heroically-structured story, then Rebellion certainly is messy. But the deliberate act of messiness should not be misinterpreted as laziness or thoughtlessness. The world presented in Rebellion is chaotic, shapeshifting, and boundless. A rebellion has taken place, but is there a new order or not?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Amazon just sent me an e-mail telling me to pre-order the first volume of Different Story (releases March 25). I don't remember reading about any announcements of an English release in here, so I figured I'd post and let everyone know about it.

Amazon link

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I really wish people would stop the (movie spoilers) "Shinbo forced Urobuchi to change the ending into an open one, how horrible" spiel like in that Reddit post because it's hilariously disingenuous and shows complete ignorance of how creative works like these even get developed.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

He's right. And I really do hate this movie, I've realized. I was miserable after watching it. I tried to rationalize it, but after all these months to reflect on it I can only come to one conclusion. I know I've said otherwise, and tried to convince myself otherwise, but I hate it. I hated it while I was watching it. I felt betrayed. I think people who like it are evil. I think its creators are evil. I think it's an evil movie that never should have been made. I think it ruins the series forever.

I guess there's some art in betraying your fans so thoroughly. I don't think I've ever hated a movie, or other work of art, anywhere near as much as I hate Rebellion. That's an achievement of sorts.

Super Jay Mann posted:

I really wish people would stop the (movie spoilers) "Shinbo forced Urobuchi to change the ending into an open one, how horrible" spiel like in that Reddit post because it's hilariously disingenuous and shows complete ignorance of how creative works like these even get developed.

Intent is everything.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
What is it that you find particularly evil about it? I think that's an interesting feeling to hold.

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012

Cephas posted:

What is it that you find particularly evil about it? I think that's an interesting feeling to hold.
Homosexuality is literally the devil.

I loved the movie. I can't be bothered to read that entire essay on Reddit, but I agree with most of what Cephas says here. It also ignores Urobuchi deciding that he likes it better this way.

I don't think anybody can or does deny that part about it being a "fan response." At the very least, Nagisa being who she is is the result of Charlotte's popularity. I just don't see how it's a bad thing.

Edit VVVVVVVV
It was just a bad joke about demon Homura.

Lamhirh fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 10, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I personally find the idea that a work can exist without being influenced by its fans laughable. Even a decision not to listen to the fans is influenced by the fans and can result in certain choices being made...to actively not please the fans.

That something is affected by the fans should in no way reflect negatively or positively on the work itself; only its own merit should. And I'm of the opinion that Rebellion has merit.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Lamhirh posted:

Homosexuality is literally the devil.
Hang on, where do you get this? Sayaka's failed heterosexual relationship results in her horrible death in the series, and in Rebellion her relationship with Kyoko is shown as a source of strength. I'm not sure I get evil from that.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kyrie eleison posted:

Intent is everything.

I don't quite understand what this has to do with what I said.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Squidster posted:

Hang on, where do you get this? Sayaka's failed heterosexual relationship results in her horrible death in the series, and in Rebellion her relationship with Kyoko is shown as a source of strength. I'm not sure I get evil from that.

I'd go a step further and say It's not homosexuality that's evil, it's sexuality at all, if you've got anything but the purest feelings you turn into a witch and die.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Ardeem posted:

I'd go a step further and say It's not homosexuality that's evil, it's sexuality at all, if you've got anything but the purest feelings you turn into a witch and die.
Can you back that up with anything? It's been quite a while since I watched the series, but I'm not sure sexuality really even came up that much. I don't think Homura's sexytime lust was what destroyed her, it was her selfish love and need to be near Madoka. It was sheer human loneliness.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Squidster posted:

Can you back that up with anything? It's been quite a while since I watched the series, but I'm not sure sexuality really even came up that much. I don't think Homura's sexytime lust was what destroyed her, it was her selfish love and need to be near Madoka. It was sheer human loneliness.

The argument for loneliness is stronger because you've got Mami reaches for Madoka: dies, Sayaka reaches for Kyosuke: dies, Kyoko reaches for Sayaka: dies, and then Rebellion. Buut, you can make the argument that Sayaka doesn't go downhill until she starts wanting what she won't allow herself, there's Homura's whole "It's love" rant, and Madoka goes on for a bit that she didn't even know she was lonely after she turns into a god, which puts at least a hole in the lonelyness causes distruction.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Personally, I feel that the fact that we're sitting here debating the ending like this already makes it a roaring success.

You can make the argument that it's somewhat self-serving of them to tweak the ending from a perfect happy one to one that leaves open the possibility of continuation, but I hardly think that it ruins the series.

I'd thought before Rebellion even came out about how even though Madoka's name is in the title, Homura is effectively the protagonist, and the series basically was a bad end for her. She was constantly fighting not only Walpurgis, but also Madoka's own self-sacrificing nature, and the end of the TV series reflected her utter defeat to it. Rebellion just made this a little more clear cut, with her desires more directly clashing with those of Madoka's.

I fully get that it's going to be the sort of work that could easily be a "love it or hate it" sort of thing, but the fact that it's so ambiguous as to whether the end is a happy one or a sad ending, the fact that you leave the theater thinking about it and wanting to debate it with others, makes it a successful work of art in my mind.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Cephas posted:

That Homura, previously a devoted apostle of Madoka, became the literal embodiment of Evil, and overturned Madoka's wish, is all you need to know.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

Kyrie eleison posted:

That Homura, previously a devoted apostle of Madoka, became the literal embodiment of Evil, and overturned Madoka's wish, is all you need to know.

I'm not exactly sure why Homura's actions towards the end of Rebellion make her evil, though. Even though Madoka became a god/law of the universe, Kyubey's actions show that the incubators are fully capable of imprisoning and attacking a god for the sake of a more efficient energy harvest. If anything, Kyubey was attempting to overturn her wish, and Homura's loyalty to Madoka is as strong as ever, seeing as how she consumes the universe with a witch barrier to protect Madoka. It's not a gentle way of handling things at all, but her enemy is a presumably large, highly intelligent race of sociopathic creatures who would just go after Madoka again and again. If anything, Rebellion has made me really excited to see how they'll follow up with things.

My apologies if my facts aren't straight, it's been a while since I've seen the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The first volume of "The Different Story", a spinoff manga focusing on Mami and Kyouko, has been released today in English by Yen Press. It's quite good and gives a lot of extra character development to Mami and Kyouko, along with some to Sayaka too. I highly recommend picking it up if you haven't read it before. If you have read it before you should pick it up anyway, so you can stop being a filthy pirate.

• Locked thread