Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Casualty posted:

Warning shots violate two of the four basic rules of firearms safety, which is why they're discouraged in essentially every circumstance except very specific military rules of engagement.
Firearm safety rules are there to make sure a random moron carrying a gun doesn't accidentally shoot himself or the people around him. Warning shots protocol are there for the exact same reason. If you have an orderly list of ways to react to a situation that you fear may turn violent, you're not going to start blasting right away. It greatly cuts down on friendly fire and mistaken identity casualties.

As to warning shots fired into the air actually hitting someone - the danger is entirely theoretical / anecdotal. Our cousins have been celebrating every wedding / funeral / bus explosion with a protracted display of improvised fireworks from their AK's for quite a while, yet no such incidents were reported.

Crigit posted:

My intuition is that warning shots create a prisoner's dilemma situation.
If any of your economics / poli-sci professors told you that people consciously apply prisoner-dilemma like reasoning to such situations, they should never teach again.

Warnings shots are a really good way to create some distance between "we're talking" and "I'm shooting you", which gives both sides an opportunity to back off. I've never heard of a warning shot actually escalating an otherwise avoidable confrontation, but there have been plenty of cases where such a shot would have saved lives.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Xander77 posted:

As to warning shots fired into the air actually hitting someone - the danger is entirely theoretical / anecdotal.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm just going to add to this that in Minneapolis a young boy in his own home was killed when a stray bullet passed through the wall. Twice.

Xander77 posted:

Our cousins have been celebrating every wedding / funeral / bus explosion with a protracted display of improvised fireworks from their AK's for quite a while, yet no such incidents were reported.

Wikipedia posted:

Bullets fired into the air usually fall back at terminal velocity, speeds much lower than those at which they leave the barrel of a firearm. Nevertheless, people can be injured, sometimes fatally, when bullets discharged into the air fall back down. Bullets fired other than exactly vertical are more dangerous, as the bullet maintains its angular ballistic trajectory, is far less likely to engage in tumbling motion, and so travels at a speed much higher than its terminal velocity.

A study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that 80% of celebratory gunfire-related injuries are to the head, feet, and shoulders. In Puerto Rico, about two people die and about 25 more are injured each year from celebratory gunfire on New Year's Eve, the CDC says. Between the years 1985 and 1992, doctors at the King/Drew Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, treated some 118 people for random falling-bullet injuries. Thirty-eight of them died. Kuwaitis celebrating in 1991 at the end of the Gulf War by firing weapons into the air caused 20 deaths from falling bullets.

Firearms expert Julian Hatcher studied falling bullets in the 1920s and calculated that .30 caliber rounds reach terminal velocities of 300 feet per second (90 m/s). A bullet traveling at only 200 feet per second (61 m/s) to 330 feet per second (100 m/s) can penetrate human skin.

In 2005, the International Action Network on Small Arms (IANSA) ran education campaigns on the dangers of celebratory gunfire in Serbia and Montenegro. In Serbia, the campaign slogan was "every bullet that is fired up, must come down."

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Rhjamiz posted:

If you're close enough to shoot, you're close enough to also talk. Or shout, if you will. Information can be exchanged.

Exactly. I think that saying 'stop or I'll shoot' is less likely to start a firefight than actually shooting.

Xander77 posted:

If any of your economics / poli-sci professors told you that people consciously apply prisoner-dilemma like reasoning to such situations, they should never teach again.

Since framing it as a prisoner's dilemma seems to get your hackles up, let me rephrase. It seems to me that a warning shot can only be effective if BOTH parties have an obviously safe means of escape.

Edit:VVVV Low light vision obviously. Sunglasses at all times forever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ5VzlRvIw4

Crigit fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 6, 2014

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
What nano augs would you get in real life? I'd be happy with a rebreather/aqualung and some auto-triage.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Considering we've reached the point where people are talking in circles around each other and other folks are getting sick of reading it, I'd like to suggest we drop the gun debate at this point.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated, but it seems like it's run its course.

Pvt.Scott posted:

What nano augs would you get in real life? I'd be happy with a rebreather/aqualung and some auto-triage.

Super speed would be pretty sweet.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Given how screwed up my eyes are already, definitely augmented vision if only so I no longer would have to deal with being blind the second my contacts/glasses are removed.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
edit: dropping the debate. Sorry Bobbin, I hadn't refreshed the page in a bit and didn't see your post.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 6, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
How's this game on the cut content side of things? The interrogation scene, which it seemed like you weren't supposed to see, just made me wonder if there was some sort of alternative route planned you could do while in the headquarters that would centre on you being part of it.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 6, 2014

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Regeneration for sure. I'm tempted to say Cloak, too, just because it's nice not to be noticed sometimes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Get ballistic protection, become super-hero.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Pvt.Scott posted:

Infolink! Internet access at all times in your head? Awesome!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speed Enhancement.

Superspeed, super jumping, and complete immunity to injury from falls would make for some fun afternoons.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

DatonKallandor posted:

That would also mean that the internet has access to your head at all times.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Regeneration. I'd like to say Superspeed, but I think the vertigo would just be overwhelming in a real scenario.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Targeting definitely a bunch of situational info on people and telescopic eyes hey why not? Also clearly the light, IFF, and info link are included in the package because they come standard on JC :v:.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Ometeotl posted:

Regeneration. I'd like to say Superspeed, but I think the vertigo would just be overwhelming in a real scenario.
I think we can assume that in a "real scenario" in which it was possible to gain superpowers through nanoaugmentation, it would also be possible to prevent vertigo.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

DatonKallandor posted:

That could go both ways. gently caress that poo poo.

I'd probably get Microfibral Muscle, and Vision Enhancement. I mean, how useful would it be to have superhuman strength and the ability to see in darkness? I'd be using both of those all the time!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Considering how heavily Deus Ex relies on Alex Jones, I don't recall them ever mentioning his prize discovery of the Bohemian Grove ever being used in a Deus Ex game or mentioned at all, unless I'm remembering wrong. Has it? That's the only government conspiracy that isn't directly mentioned or alluded to.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Aqualung. Yes, seriously. I like the idea of being able to spend hours underwater without worrying about my air supply.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Cloak, super speed, and that aug that scrambles your sperm DNA.

Cum ghost 2014

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

How's this game on the cut content side of things? The interrogation scene, which it seemed like you weren't supposed to see, just made me wonder if there was some sort of alternative route planned you could do while in the headquarters that would centre on you being part of it.

Yeah, initially there was an option to join the NSF and fight against UNATCO early on or something. Lots of cut and mashed together content in the latter part of the game (after Hong Kong). The Deus Ex Bible contains a lot of info on this, but I'm sure Bobbin will talk about it when he gets there, in about half a year or so at this pace ;)

Great LP Bobbin.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There was also meant to be an option for you to stay loyal to UNATCO.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Add me to the list of folks with crap uncorrected eyesight who'd love to have five minutes free of my glasses, so definitely augmented vision. Preferably with Molly Millions-style mirrored implants, if that's not asking too much.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I'd go super speed just for the ability to jump down from places without getting hurt, and microfibral muscle for all those times my friends ask me to help them move. :v:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

my dad posted:

That would also mean that the internet has access to your head at all times.

Twitch plays: YOU

Only good can come of this.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I'd probably get the aqualung because I'm terrified of drowning, but then never use it because I'm terrified of drowning.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can't believe I'm the only one to pick SPY DRONE :pcgaming:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Mzbundifund posted:

I always wondered how that actually works. The description mentions nanofactories assembling them on demand. So does JC just...poo poo out a drone?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

paragon1 posted:

There was also meant to be an option for you to stay loyal to UNATCO.

I always get why they had to cut this stuff; the game is absolutely packed with grade A content as it is. At the same time, I really wish the options to straight up join other factions were in.

As for superpowers, regen to cure my arthritis forever and obviously microfiberal muscle. After two years of having hands that hurt every time I pick up something heavy, being able to lift a car and heal myself of almost all medical problems would be loving sweet.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Wiseblood posted:

I always wondered how that actually works. The description mentions nanofactories assembling them on demand. So does JC just...poo poo out a drone?

One sunglass lens retracts, and his eyeball rolls out, sprouting a tiny propeller that spins up and begins to hover as it falls. It gradually stabilizes itself, then hovers back up to eye height as JC's enemies look on in shock and disgust. It flies closer and closer to a horrified NSF militiaman, paralyzed with fear and confusion. Closer and closer it flies, and just before he turns to run, it explodes, wiping out his credit cards.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Wiseblood posted:

I think it oozes out of his ear since that's where those glowing blue implants are. That or he coughs it out like he's got fly eggs in his lungs.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Microfibral Muscle, picking up really heavy stuff seems like it'd be the mose useful and potentially fun thing to have.

EDIT: I'm getting my games power names mixed up here.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 6, 2014

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Mzbundifund posted:

I've never actually picked this aug in any of my playthroughs; is it any use at all?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Junior G-man posted:

I've never actually picked this aug in any of my playthroughs; is it any use at all?

The EMP blast can actually take out large robots. It uses a lot of biolectric energy though.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
The Spy Drone is pretty cool, but it's so situational and energy-intensive that there are difficulties in using it effectively.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

This might be more of a HR aug, but I'd go for the feather fall drop complete with the Kuvosa "SSHHHOOoooooooop" sound effect. Must have that sound effect or the aug is totally worthless.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Agent Interrobang posted:

The Spy Drone is pretty cool, but it's so situational and energy-intensive that there are difficulties in using it effectively.

But think in IRL terms, if you've got the cranial slot you might as well use it, not like you'll have much cause of prematurely detonating incoming explosions, unless you wanna be an rear end at firework parties and set off everything early.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Automatic Slim posted:

This might be more of a HR aug, but I'd go for the feather fall drop complete with the Kuvosa "SSHHHOOoooooooop" sound effect. Must have that sound effect or the aug is totally worthless.

Yeah, that one is from HR. It was a really cool touch though, to justify getting zero falling distance as "your legs have vernier thrusters that slow you down to a safe velocity!"

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
If I had to choose just one, it'd probably be Regeneration. Probably the most useful overall, and without it you might hurt yourself with the other augs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Mzbundifund posted:

One sunglass lens retracts, and his eyeball rolls out, sprouting a tiny propeller that spins up and begins to hover as it falls. It gradually stabilizes itself, then hovers back up to eye height as JC's enemies look on in shock and disgust. It flies closer and closer to a horrified NSF militiaman, paralyzed with fear and confusion. Closer and closer it flies, and just before he turns to run, it explodes, wiping out his credit cards.

J. Chthulu Denton

• Locked thread