Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

ZetsurinPower posted:

short story, an expired certificate, although it manifested itself in a way that made tracking it down a bit more involved.

edit: additional info, the guy has been on helpdesk 11 years, and used to be the manager. all-star talent over here.

He went from Manager to Helpdesk. Says it all, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Stagnation is death.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

SEKCobra posted:

He went from Manager to Helpdesk. Says it all, doesn't it?

He was Helpdesk manager, and forfeited the responsibility because he didn't want it. He openly admits he is more than happy to do the same thing hes doing forever, and hes not the only one like that on helpdesk.

I would shitcan or push out half of our helpdesk if I had any power or ability to affect change

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't mind coworkers in IT who stagnate, it beats training new people all the time and it allows me to take better positions.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
poor performance is tolerated here, it puts a stink on the whole department. I can't wait to YOTJ out of this place.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

GreenNight posted:

I don't mind coworkers in IT who stagnate, it beats training new people all the time and it allows me to take better positions.

Of course, co-workers who literally just go all drone and not apply an outside thought to what they're doing annoy me. I have co-workers who are completely fine applying a "fix" for an issue that breaks something else, but they'll never connect the fix and the resulting issue that emerges after. This means we get twice the tickets, because a simple "apply fix, adjust x" ends up making another issue, which will be taking longer because the guy investigating the issue after won't know what's caused the change, so narrowing down what to do to fix it becomes harder.

Methodical, logical thinkers are brilliant and are a million times better than the people who go "this works for this issue, so this is what i'll do despite x".

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
the problem is the mentality has created a self fulfilling prophecy where everyone assumes the helpdesk are useless drones, so they perform like useless drones. its a black hole, most of those people have been there 5+ years, and quite a few of them are washouts from other areas of the company (secretaries, etc). and they're all paid $20/hr+ so why what incentive do they have to grow/learn? they just chase their performance metrics.

anyone who thinks they hit the jackpot and are willing to retire on a level 1 helpdesk position is not somebody I want working in IT

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 6, 2014

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Four tickets come in in under thirty seconds. All are variants on a theme from each address, but each includes the line "We are not able to access your software on $server, $ip. Do the needful." $server and $ip were the same for each ticket.

I run nmap, because I'm the boss and got blanket permission from legal to portscan anything I loving wanna portscan. Not questioning it.

[estrategy@login ~]$ nmap -v -P0 $ip

Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2014-03-06 11:35 EST
DNS resolution of 1 IPs took 7.28s.
Initiating Connect() Scan against $server ($ip) [1680 ports] at 11:35
Connect() Scan Timing: About 8.93% done; ETC: 11:40 (0:05:06 remaining)
The Connect() Scan took 347.15s to scan 1680 total ports.
Host $server ($ip) appears to be up ... good.
All 1680 scanned ports on $server ($ip) are filtered

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 354.442 seconds
[estrategy@login ~]$

Never seen that one before. Responded to each with that information and the fact that there appears to be some sort of network connectivity or external firewalling issue. Out of scope. W h o o p s.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
If you have a SonicWall on site check your license status :suicide:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Exit Strategy posted:

Four tickets come in in under thirty seconds. All are variants on a theme from each address, but each includes the line "We are not able to access your software on $server, $ip. Do the needful." $server and $ip were the same for each ticket.

I run nmap, because I'm the boss and got blanket permission from legal to portscan anything I loving wanna portscan. Not questioning it.

[estrategy@login ~]$ nmap -v -P0 $ip

Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2014-03-06 11:35 EST
DNS resolution of 1 IPs took 7.28s.
Initiating Connect() Scan against $server ($ip) [1680 ports] at 11:35
Connect() Scan Timing: About 8.93% done; ETC: 11:40 (0:05:06 remaining)
The Connect() Scan took 347.15s to scan 1680 total ports.
Host $server ($ip) appears to be up ... good.
All 1680 scanned ports on $server ($ip) are filtered

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 354.442 seconds
[estrategy@login ~]$

Never seen that one before. Responded to each with that information and the fact that there appears to be some sort of network connectivity or external firewalling issue. Out of scope. W h o o p s.

Why would a portscan to do network diagnostics be illegal?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

dogstile posted:

Of course, co-workers who literally just go all drone and not apply an outside thought to what they're doing annoy me. I have co-workers who are completely fine applying a "fix" for an issue that breaks something else, but they'll never connect the fix and the resulting issue that emerges after. This means we get twice the tickets, because a simple "apply fix, adjust x" ends up making another issue, which will be taking longer because the guy investigating the issue after won't know what's caused the change, so narrowing down what to do to fix it becomes harder.

Methodical, logical thinkers are brilliant and are a million times better than the people who go "this works for this issue, so this is what i'll do despite x".

I really hate this attitude. I can't tell you how many issues I know of where the standard fix is "Make them local admin."
It probably takes the same amount of time to give them read/write privileges to the one folder where they need access.

I'm just glad that no one with that attitude is in a supervisory position over me, I'd probably start openly working on my resume at work if I got written up for wasting time troubleshooting when there's a known "solution."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm doing an Easy Transfer between a pair of computers and it says the ETA for moving 25GB is ~8 hours. That seems like a lot, so I just poked my head under the desk and see that the computer I'm coming off of is plugged into a hub and the collision light is pretty much solid red.

:11tea:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ZetsurinPower posted:

the problem is the mentality has created a self fulfilling prophecy where everyone assumes the helpdesk are useless drones, so they perform like useless drones. its a black hole, most of those people have been there 5+ years, and quite a few of them are washouts from other areas of the company (secretaries, etc). and they're all paid $20/hr+ so why what incentive do they have to grow/learn? they just chase their performance metrics.

anyone who thinks they hit the jackpot and are willing to retire on a level 1 helpdesk position is not somebody I want working in IT

I doubt that any one of them thinks they hit the jackpot, some people are just satisfied where they are (or they've given up). Though I do wonder how much of that attitude comes about because of the prevailing management culture of rewarding your best and brightest people with extra work and expectations but no extra money or paths of advancement. To manipulate the narrative by, for example, telling them they're doing a great job but then giving them bare minimum numbers on a performance review so they can avoid giving them a raise.

That realization is just about the biggest motivation killer I can think of. I wonder how many of the people who are just coasting have been repeatedly been burned by those managerial tactics, and I wonder how much of a contribution that had to them deciding that what they had was good enough.

I'm speaking in generalities here, by the way, not anything specific to your company.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SEKCobra posted:

It's not that it's illegal, it's that portmapping and vulnerability scanning can be seen as a precursor to corporate espionage, especially since many companies run older, unpatched, or otherwise problematic software behind the firewall. Why you wouldn't just log in and take it is another question, but IS and legal don't generally like it.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

jim truds posted:

I just did a GIS for that, it's like a company of Carmen Sandiegos.

What search term did you use? I'm not finding what you apparently found.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I'd say having zero technical aptitude and no ambition while making $50k a year on a helpdesk and having the ability to work from home is hitting the jackpot for certain people here.

There are a couple people who have more potential but there is no path for promotion and the engineering staff doesn't take them seriously because of their peers. They have a strong goon-in-a-well mentality that keeps them on helpdesk for 7 years straight, it doesn't help that they are over-compensated and never pushed to improve (and the low performers are not disciplined in any meaningful way). All around bad environment for success.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This is the reason I'm studying virtualization like my life depends on it. Right now, you occasionally need a lot of manpower to handle things like replacing hundreds of computers. If you replace those computers with thin clients, it'll be harder to justify some of those jobs.

I think a lot of people won't even see it coming.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

the littlest prince posted:

What search term did you use? I'm not finding what you apparently found.

This picture is representative. Again, people don't actually wear them, but you do get one along with your laptop that people keep around their desk or whatever.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

evol262 posted:

This picture is representative. Again, people don't actually wear them, but you do get one along with your laptop that people keep around their desk or whatever.

How disappointed was the tuxedo guy front row just to the right of center when he saw the other tuxedo guy show up with his tuxedo as well as red laces in his shoes?

Was there tuxedo envy? Laces envy?

edit: three tuxedos. wow.

double edit: I am spending far too long looking at this picture.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is the reason I'm studying virtualization like my life depends on it. Right now, you occasionally need a lot of manpower to handle things like replacing hundreds of computers. If you replace those computers with thin clients, it'll be harder to justify some of those jobs.

Doesn't getting the licenses for all those thinclients cost about as much as a server and a load of PC's? I overheard some of the sales people mentioning that the cost isn't worth it for some people.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

dogstile posted:

Doesn't getting the licenses for all those thinclients cost about as much as a server and a load of PC's? I overheard some of the sales people mentioning that the cost isn't worth it for some people.

Well, yeah, but if you had the PCs you'd need licenses for them anyway.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
An old lady came in...

EDIT: I work for a school district, this lady just lives by the district office I work in.

She has a pacemaker and a thing the pacemaker reports to. It's a small box with a modem in it and she couldn't get it to phone home to report to her doctor about the status of the pacemaker. Of course she decided to come in to the office to ask for help rather than going to the doctor. She brings this box in and it's pretty straight-forward with a phone and a line jack on the side. I explain that we have a phone system that wont work with this thing, but that you should be able to plug the phone cord from the wall to the line port (I think that's the problem) but that if it still doesn't work she should a) call the 1-800 number on the back of the thing, and/or b) go to the loving doctor.

She explains that she called the 800-number, they couldn't help her, so they connected her to a doctor, who simply said he wasn't familiar with the device. At no point in time did anyone say, "Go to the doctor!" What the loving poo poo people, this lady is in her 80's and probably needs to get this figured out.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

Ask your legal department, or feel free to visit nmap's own site.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

anthonypants posted:

I had a coworker written up for nmap-ing a customers box, and they complained of "attacks" coming from our support network. Plenty of people are really retarded about this, so it's worth CYA-ing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

dogstile posted:

It's definitely not one of those "No-Brainer" cost decisions, but I think things are moving in that direction and at many companies it'll make sense to replace some portion of their workstations with thins.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

anthonypants posted:

If there's a documented issue, I can do any sort of diagnostics. You can even sniff and stuff. It's only illegal when you do it to random people without their knowledge or authorization. Unless you wanna argue that pinging is hacking. Also the nmap site seems to only talk about port scanning over the internet, not locally.

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

At my old job I have been chewed out for requesting access for a software download site to download the latest version of greenshot, which had since been placed on the draconian block list. I was told that I didn't need it and my team lead asked "how is this necessary <to fix latest bug handed to me>" when our standard procedure for documenting bugs and their fixes involved covering our asses with screenshots. This one situation alone is indicative of the environment I worked in. (Spoilers: It involved medical.)

canis minor
May 4, 2011

SopWATh posted:

An old lady came in...

EDIT: I work for a school district, this lady just lives by the district office I work in.

She has a pacemaker and a thing the pacemaker reports to. It's a small box with a modem in it and she couldn't get it to phone home to report to her doctor about the status of the pacemaker. Of course she decided to come in to the office to ask for help rather than going to the doctor. She brings this box in and it's pretty straight-forward with a phone and a line jack on the side. I explain that we have a phone system that wont work with this thing, but that you should be able to plug the phone cord from the wall to the line port (I think that's the problem) but that if it still doesn't work she should a) call the 1-800 number on the back of the thing, and/or b) go to the loving doctor.

She explains that she called the 800-number, they couldn't help her, so they connected her to a doctor, who simply said he wasn't familiar with the device. At no point in time did anyone say, "Go to the doctor!" What the loving poo poo people, this lady is in her 80's and probably needs to get this figured out.

Serious Hardware / Software Crap > RE: A pacemaker came in...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

Also the nmap site seems to only talk about port scanning over the internet, not locally.
Yes, that's correct.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

dogstile posted:

My company runs several call centers with roughly about 1000 seats in a 24/7/365 operation. I've priced out thin clients every 18 months for the last 4 years and they are more expensive than just putting a Optiplex 3xxx and a basic monitor on a desk every single time. The back end SAN and licensing just kill it when you compare apples to apples on initial cash outlay.

Thin clients can in the long run save you money if you care about ROI over 3 years or so. Just power alone would save us about 1,000 dollars a month in electricity bills, but I never got call center management to see past the initial larger capex outlay.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

skipdogg posted:

Thin clients can in the long run save you money if you care about ROI over 3 years or so. Just power alone would save us about 1,000 dollars a month in electricity bills, but I never got call center management to see past the initial larger capex outlay.

The big thing I'm looking at is the upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 (or 9 or whatever) in 2020. With thin clients, everything would be done behind the scenes and then one day you turn on your computer and it's the new version.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ZetsurinPower posted:

I'd say having zero technical aptitude and no ambition while making $50k a year on a helpdesk and having the ability to work from home is hitting the jackpot for certain people here.

There are a couple people who have more potential but there is no path for promotion and the engineering staff doesn't take them seriously because of their peers. They have a strong goon-in-a-well mentality that keeps them on helpdesk for 7 years straight, it doesn't help that they are over-compensated and never pushed to improve (and the low performers are not disciplined in any meaningful way). All around bad environment for success.

Honestly if someone wanted to pay me good money (50k is not good money) to say "No I can't help you" and open tickets I'd probably do it. When I was in my 20's I was in IT because I "Loved it". Now I just want a paycheck good enough to last me to retirement. I'm either getting really pragmatic about all this poo poo, or I've dealt with HP printer drivers one too many loving times.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

skipdogg posted:

My company runs several call centers with roughly about 1000 seats in a 24/7/365 operation. I've priced out thin clients every 18 months for the last 4 years and they are more expensive than just putting a Optiplex 3xxx and a basic monitor on a desk every single time. The back end SAN and licensing just kill it when you compare apples to apples on initial cash outlay.

They save even more money once management realizes that with a good VPN and phone solution they don't even have to bother with offices anymore. With everything being tracked by metrics I can't for the life of me understand why centralized call centers still exist.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because there is value in having everyone under one roof?

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

good call. self improvement is often the only way to get ahead if you can't secure on-the-job training or get your company to pay for classes.

Important note for people who are interviewing with a new potential employer: always find out what the promotion path has been for the position you're applying for, find out where previous employees ended up and how long it took them to get there. If they scratch their heads trying to think of a success story, its probably a sign that its a dead end position.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Honestly if someone wanted to pay me good money (50k is not good money) to say "No I can't help you" and open tickets I'd probably do it. When I was in my 20's I was in IT because I "Loved it". Now I just want a paycheck good enough to last me to retirement. I'm either getting really pragmatic about all this poo poo, or I've dealt with HP printer drivers one too many loving times.

50k is good money for level 1 helpdesk that is a glorified call center in a dirt cheap COL area. I think average lvl 1 helpdesk pays like $36k a year. You don't have to love IT to want to get out of the helldesk

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 6, 2014

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

SEKCobra posted:

Also the nmap site seems to only talk about port scanning over the internet, not locally.

I *am* portscanning people over the Internet. Pretty much exclusively. Box in question is in India, I'm in Pittsburgh.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rhymenoserous posted:

They save even more money once management realizes that with a good VPN and phone solution they don't even have to bother with offices anymore. With everything being tracked by metrics I can't for the life of me understand why centralized call centers still exist.

Having worked in a few call centers, management knows that if they let everyone work from home, all work would be done naked and highly intoxicated. By making everyone come in, they can enforce a dress code("Look professional, sound professional" is a mantra) and weed out the people who can't hide their intoxication before they get on the phone.

One of those is actually a good thing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ZetsurinPower posted:

The lack of an established path for career improvement is a really big part of it, I think. In most other professional fields there's either no such thing as promotion (say, veterinarians -- you have the degree and the licensure or you don't) or there's professional development and a promotion pathway. For someone in a helpdesk role none of that poo poo is true and anything you get you usually do on your own time on your own dime. No one wants helpdesk people out for training because it means they aren't there to do the support work.

I was just looking at taking a week-long training course. My boss doesn't mind paying for it, but he has no training budget whatsoever. We do tuition reimbursement, but it would cover about a third of the cost and I'd have to pay the rest myself. Meanwhile, other people in other fields in the same organization go to conferences and whatnot.

There's no culture of internal promotion where I am, so to advance I pretty much need to change employers. I'm in a much better and more varied role than your average helpdesk, but I'm looking to move on and it's just not easy to do.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The big thing I'm looking at is the upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 (or 9 or whatever) in 2020. With thin clients, everything would be done behind the scenes and then one day you turn on your computer and it's the new version.
We're kinda in the middle of doing this now at my place, my division's not particiapting but the department as a whole is phasing out about 2000 PCs for zero-clients. Because of government purchasing quirks it's apparently turned out to be more expensive to buy new zero-clients and VMWare/virtualzed Win7 licenses than it would have been to just buy new PCs and use our existing Win7 licenses, but no one did the math right ahead of time. Oops.

Also they forgot to buy VMWare licenses beyond the ones for the pilot, so as soon as they started rolling out wide they immediately hit the license limit, so now everything's ground to a halt a month before the XP deadline. I'm so glad our division stayed out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Apparently my company is considering doing the whole thin client thing for us developers. Which would rather suck in the first place, but given the fact that we don't do much of any server stuff in house and our internet is poo poo, having to deal with latency while programming would get very infuriating very fast.

• Locked thread