Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Vinyl Thread Crew,
Is there a good place on the internet to purchase a turntable and recommended makes/models? I'd consult the OP but it's a couple years old now and there could be newer better things out there! I have checked on a couple of the antique/reseller shops in the area and they either have wood boxes or nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

kirkjames posted:

my war was off of discogs, harvey milk off ebay, 7" stuff was from distros/labels online, the rest at record stores.

still waiting on my katorga works order... :/

anyway here's a snap of the coolest stuff I got over the last month or so

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Defleshed posted:

I'm too lazy to post pictures but I bought hella Warren Zevon records from a yard sale so yay me!

I got Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School, The Envoy, Excitable Boy, and The Wind (loving SCORE) for 50 bucks together.

poo poo, I didn't know The Wind got a pressing, I figured it was just a CD thing.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

nadabolt posted:

NICE Illusions, where did you score that?

ordered that katorga works stuff back in early january, homie takes FOREVER to ship stuff, but it's always a nice surprise that I forgot about.

just got the possessed boxset with two LP's for free from a friend, came with posters and a slipmat as well.

kirkjames fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 6, 2014

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

kirkjames posted:

NICE Illusions, where did you score that?

ebay. kinda weird, id been seeing multiple copies a week popping up on there and kind of feel there might have been some deadstock find or something... but couldn't find anything to support that so I went ahead and paid like 40 for it.

that possessed box is choice, but im content with my beat copy of seven churches. does it have the demos?

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

nadabolt posted:

ebay. kinda weird, id been seeing multiple copies a week popping up on there and kind of feel there might have been some deadstock find or something... but couldn't find anything to support that so I went ahead and paid like 40 for it.

that possessed box is choice, but im content with my beat copy of seven churches. does it have the demos?

i would for sure prefer an og seven churches, but this will do for now. No demos, just the eyes of horror ep and the first two lp's (seven churches and beyond the gates.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Allen Wren posted:

poo poo, I didn't know The Wind got a pressing, I figured it was just a CD thing.

I didn't either... definitely going to have to keep an eye out for that one. The only Zevon I ever see at my local store is Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School :(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Human Cow posted:

I didn't either... definitely going to have to keep an eye out for that one. The only Zevon I ever see at my local store is Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School :(

I really like BLSDS, but it is hilariously common used.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

nadabolt posted:

my libertine reissue also just came in the mail and i'm a happy guy

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

nadabolt posted:

holy poo poo I forgot to even say anything about that sun city girls, that is ILL. For a while there I was gonna spend all my time and money trying to track down every release but gently caress being broke for the next year

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Human Cow posted:

That's a great album!

AAB posted:

Vinyl Thread Crew,
Is there a good place on the internet to purchase a turntable and recommended makes/models? I'd consult the OP but it's a couple years old now and there could be newer better things out there! I have checked on a couple of the antique/reseller shops in the area and they either have wood boxes or nothing at all.

What do you mean by wood boxes? Lots of really nice tables have wooden plinths. Some garbage does too, though, I guess.

I doubt this op is that out of date, and the vintage/2 channel thread in IYG is good.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The OP is talking about poo poo that has existed for years, so it's not going out of date anytime soon.

And wood is good, actually it's mostly great. Really the best test to figure out if a receiver is good or not is to see how heavy it is.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

a false posted:

my libertine reissue also just came in the mail and i'm a happy guy

that's an og, jack. comes in a flimsy paper fold over cover.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Personperson14 posted:

The OP is talking about poo poo that has existed for years, so it's not going out of date anytime soon.

And wood is good, actually it's mostly great. Really the best test to figure out if a receiver is good or not is to see how heavy it is.

It's the wood that makes it good.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
here's my stupid dork stuff from last week

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

kirkjames posted:

my war was off of discogs, harvey milk off ebay, 7" stuff was from distros/labels online, the rest at record stores.

where did you find the lumpy 7"? i been looking

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I actually had a nightmare about my stylus getting hosed up. This is what addiction is.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

I had my TT for like 5 days and I hosed up the stylus with my pinky taking out a record. I kept getting more and more records but couldn't do anything with it and finally when it arrives I have to leave for family stuff for a few days.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I got an original press of Neanderthal's Fighting Music 7", something I had been wanting for years, and upon first taking it out of the sleeve somehow it slipped in my hand. I tried to hold on to it, and in the process dragged my fingernail across the grooves. After I recovered from the heart attack I found that it played fine, just had an ugly surface scrape.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What's the most reliable website for ordering turntable parts? I recently came in to possession of a Pioneer PL590 (for free), I'm looking to dust it off and restore it.

Everything looks to be in decent shape, but I want to replace the needle because it's very old and hasn't been used in awhile. I shouldn't really need to replace the entire cartridge right?

I figure I just need

- New needle
- Preamp

and I should be good to go. I haven't fired it up yet, but belt seems to be in good shape as does the arm.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I would just replace the cartridge to be sure, styli are expensive enough that it's smart to just get the whole shebang. MX97e sounds great.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

What's the most reliable website for ordering turntable parts? I recently came in to possession of a Pioneer PL590 (for free), I'm looking to dust it off and restore it.

Everything looks to be in decent shape, but I want to replace the needle because it's very old and hasn't been used in awhile. I shouldn't really need to replace the entire cartridge right?

I figure I just need

- New needle
- Preamp

and I should be good to go. I haven't fired it up yet, but belt seems to be in good shape as does the arm.

What kind of cartridge does it have?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

kirkjames posted:

More interested in what record stores you found this stuff at.

nadabolt posted:

Ras Het posted:

here's my stupid dork stuff from last week

Good poo poo, also.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
From AV Club:
Later this year, ABCKO Records will release a box set of every single Wes Anderson movie soundtrack, making for a perfect fusion of record and film nerdery. The 10-album collection features songs from Anderson and music supervisor Randall Poster’s 22-year, eight-movie collaboration. Hard details aren’t really available yet about when, what, or how, but IndieWire estimates that the set could include around 150 songs, plus whatever tracks Anderson might have used in his movies but didn’t include on past soundtrack releases. There’s also no real information on how the set will be packaged. Let’s just assume it’ll be pressed onto some obscure vinyl made only in India, wrapped in tweed, then placed into a suitcase hand-carved out of birch.

From Rolling Stone:
Later this year, to celebrate their 22-year partnership, ABKCO Records will release a box set of the duo's 10 soundtracks, including Seu Jorge's underground favorite The Life Aquatic Studio Sessions. (The company also just released the soundtrack to Anderson's eighth film, The Grand Budapest Hotel, on March 3rd.) "It's really been quite an adventure," says Poster of his work alongside Anderson. "Both of us really relish that." Now, with Anderson's latest feature opening on March 7th, Poster shares his seven favorite pairings from his friend's filmography.

Everyone have $300+ saved up for this box set? Start budgeting...

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I've got that 10" from RSD a couple of years ago and was surprised when I couldn't find anything else Wes Anderson not on vinyl.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Yeah the Moonrise Kingdom release is awesome. I'm not usually much for soundtracks, but I'll probably buy this.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Hopefully since it's ABCKO there will be plenty to go around.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I will buy them but only if they're not in a huge box set at one point. I'd get a select few of the soundtracks. Life Aquatic, Darjeeling Limited, Moonrise Kingdom. Are these the soundtracks or just the scores?

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
The only reason why I even bother with RSD is because some of the stuff they're releasing is usually expensive and hasn't been repressed in a while / ever.
The unreleased stuff is nice, too.

This RSD just seems to be filled with a ton of crap, though (surprise, surprise). Seriously? A 1D single? Yikes. Anything to make some quick bucks, I guess.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
This RSD has 2 new Xiu Xiu albums and the Paranorman soundtrack.

Good enough for me.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Yeah, I wasn't planning on going out for it until I saw the Xiu Xiu discs on the list. Curious what they'll include on the best of. They don't strike me as a band to have a best of compilation, but I'm a bit of a collector with them.

I was excited to see three Psychic TV releases, but they are just live LPs. Might get one later, but no longer a priority.

I'm jealous as hell that these two bands are playing together in Europe. Would love to see that show.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I'm looking forward to the Full of Hell/Psywarfare 7", but other than that...

e: A389 has it listed as a 12" on their bandcamp, even better.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
YMMV on this, but the Urban Outfitters by me had a shitload of copies of Ghostface Killah's Twelve Reasons to Die and MCII by Mikal Cronin marked down to $10 on clearance.

Woodfield Mall if anyone else is in my part of the world.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

nadabolt posted:

that's an og, jack. comes in a flimsy paper fold over cover.

poo poo

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Does anyone have Amarok by Mike Oldfield on vinyl? I kind of want it but I can't imagine it sounding very good with 30 mins on each side. pls advise

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sometimes going to Half-Price Books pays off. (Also, how did I not have a copy of Waiting For Columbus before now? Don't they basically issue that to you at the door when you start collecting records?)

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

a small package arrived today

crass - yes sir, i will (sleeve kinda beat)
crow - bloody tear (fuckin MINT) also easily a top 5 japanese hardcore record, a stone cold classic.

Chill Callahan posted:

More interested in what record stores you found this stuff at.

aquarius in SF for new releases although I did score that Jesus Lizard and Sunburned Hand of the Man there. amoeba can be good if one is willing to sift through for a long time. a few other smaller ones depending on what i'm looking for but those are the big ones.

kirkjames fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 10, 2014

SupahDren
Jul 19, 2002
My girlfriend, Ana, loves me.
Grimey Drawer
Has anybody seen clear rubber mats available that would fit a Technics 1200? Like, the stock rubber mat but just made of clear rubber (and not acrylic)? Thanks so much

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I really don't think Sears plans on shipping my Beck preorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

smackfu posted:

I really don't think Sears plans on shipping my Beck preorder.

I didn't order that through them, but I did order two in-stock records (which arrived quickly and perfectly) + a pre-order not due until May (didn't realize it was so far off). Has anyone who preordered anything got theirs, or should I try to cancel and just get from a regular source?