Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I made it to my morning meeting on time and am v proud of myself. Now I'm ready and available to punch the people making yr lives hard.

Narwhal cum horns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Having a little sister means having terrible top 40 radio pop stuck in your head.

why you gotta be so ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

bathroom sounds posted:

Having a little sister means having terrible top 40 radio pop stuck in your head.

That's why everyone should have at least one Magnetic Fields album at their disposal. Their songs are so catchy they automatically banish everything else from your head

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

bathroom sounds posted:

didn't read this post

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Putty posted:

didn't read this post

dude's covered in balls

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Portals posted:

dude's covered in balls

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Dongicus posted:

give me your job

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Shithouse Dave posted:

Narwhal cum horns

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Shannonmcn posted:

sweet baby cum gently caress, hole me in the beluga

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
move sig

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Woah. I thought Patrick Nagel died in the 80s!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I look forward to seeing what the Beluga thing has morphed into after another 400 pages or so and what non-regulars make of it.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Sabel posted:

move sig

IT CHANGES WHENEVER I REFRESH

ARE U MAGIC??????

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
breaking news, ariel is a were-owl

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 4, 2014

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Enfys posted:

I look forward to seeing what the Beluga thing has morphed into after another 400 pages or so and what non-regulars make of it.

Are there any non regulars? Pretty sure it's just like 12 of us generating 400 posts a day.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Avshalom posted:

breaking news, ariel is a were-owl
same

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
he was one of a race of arctic owls that rose up against humanity and were cursed to either turn into rain or live life in the bodies of men, the rest of the flock chose rain but ariel chose turning into a human and now he deeply regrets it because he can't change back and is dead. also something about taking my dog out hunting for deers and losing him in bushland and my stepfather trying to kill me in retaliation (but it's okay, vanya was later delivered to our house alive and well in a cardboard box marked "fragile" along with a bunch of marsupial mice that were his friends or his harem or something, it was a bit unclear what the relationship was)

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

any knitters in ladythread? if so you may wish to make a shirt for a poor oily penguin

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
ladies please go preorder dark souls 2

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

amarantinesky posted:

I think a lot of people have a skewed view of teenagers because 1) you always have a ton of adults complaining about teens and 2) it's the first time in most people's lives that they have a lot of freedom to make mistakes but usually face reduced consequences, which does make some teens seem like assholes.

Anyway, I like teenagers and young adults because it's a really exciting time of life. There are so many transitions and choices you get to make. It's the first time a lot of people actually think about who they are and who they want to be. Sure, a lot of people make stupid decisions but that's a necessary part of it. I'm also obviously interested in mental health and teenagers obviously have a ton of issues like depression, plus serious mental illnesses tend to emerge in late teens/early 20s.

Most of the work I have done with teens is on an individual or small group level, though, so I'm not sure I'd want to deal with 30 at once. I think kids of all ages are great though.

Ok, well this makes sense. Thanks for the insight!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Dongicus posted:

my parents got me the collector edition pre-order for christmas, but the PC version doesn't come out til after my birthday. But I didn't know that at the time!

You have no idea how much I love Dark Souls. I sleep with a Solaire body pillow.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I can't really tolerate even the most awesome of children for more than half an hour. Teachers are a special breed of saintly, wonderful masochists.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Dongicus posted:

already done

i just wish i could have justified the special edition :qq:

are we going to praise the sun, sempai

Meis posted:

my parents got me the collector edition pre-order for christmas, but the PC version doesn't come out til after my birthday. But I didn't know that at the time!

You have no idea how much I love Dark Souls. I sleep with a Solaire body pillow.

I NEED

seriously where did you find a solaire body pillow

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

grossly uguu

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
solaire is def gay he was totally hitting on my huge black man in that game

----------------

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

bonewitch posted:

already done

i just wish i could have justified the special edition :qq:

are we going to praise the sun, sempai

I NEED

seriously where did you find a solaire body pillow

I hate to break it to you but I was joking about the body pillow :(

I wish I wasn't.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i'm up to the bell gargoyles at SL 1 and poo poo is hard

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vuvxZGiJ00&list=UUxzKZXBg7bDzqW2tGljUHog&feature=c4-overview

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

solaire is def gay he was totally hitting on my huge black man in that game

He hit on my buff tuff lady so I think he's OBBIOUSLY bisexual.

oh I'll be your sun, Solaire~

I'll summon your gold phantom all night long!

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Meis posted:

I hate to break it to you but I was joking about the body pillow :(

I wish I wasn't.

oh...

YOU CRIED

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Dongicus posted:

i did and i am psyched to whomp some losers with my tumor mace

gonna make a totally butch mace whomper lady who shows off her guns at every opportunity

----------------

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
luigis mansion was a good game

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Enfys posted:

there seems to be this idea of rich awesome doctors with great lives, and I'm sure they are out there, but yes, life sucks giant hairy donkey testicles.

I don't really know what the US medical system is like, so possibly it's more functional. If I were smart, I would probably move to Australia or New Zealand because everyone who has gone there has said what a massive difference it has made and how they are sort of happy, functional human beings again.

The absolute BEST part is how hospitals and clinics and everything else is massively overcrowded and understaffed, and they put hiring freezes in place and cut salaries to save money while increasing working hours, and then, my favourite part, around September, they run out of money budgeted for paying overtime because instead of hiring more people, they just make the staff they have work shitloads of overtime. However, they don't have enough money to pay for all of this overtime, so one day you come into work and find out that you will no longer be getting paid for the overtime you do...but you can't just stop working overtime. It might seem like a simple thing to do if you aren't familiar with healthcare, just don't work overtime then, but that's just not feasible. For one thing, you can't really refuse to work or just say you are done for the day without getting into massive trouble and losing your job. Even aside from that aspect, there are people who are coming in and someone needs to be dealing with them and if you don't because you've left and something happens or something slips through the cracks or you didn't order everything you needed to or follow up on everything you should have, then you're completely hosed (of course if you make a mistake because you are so exhausted you can't see straight or so overwhelmed/overworked/ill/etc then you're also hosed) and if there's no one else to do these things, then it's your job whether your job was scheduled to have ended hours ago or not. You can't just walk out because the clock says your shift is over. You do your job until it is done, and there are ALWAYS things that need to be done and things are always backlogged and that's not even getting into paperwork and charts and constantly having more people than you have beds for and on and on. So you might have a 24 hour shift, but you know it is going to be at least 36 hours, and you also know that suddenly you're not even getting paid for those extra 12+ hours and well 'administration is working things out' but who knows what that means or when anything might happen, but in the meanwhile there are people to see. It might not sound like much, but in four months, it adds up to hundreds of hours of unpaid work. Oh and then they also cut your living stipend because...I dunno, gently caress contracts. So sometimes you don't even get paid for the work you do, and when you do get paid, you don't actually have time to spend your money on anything.

And of course, somewhere through the haze of exhaustion, you do actually give a poo poo about people and the reason you got into the job in the first place and all of that and do care about helping people get better and doing your job well, but sometimes you're just trying to survive another hour and are worse off than a lot of patients.

But yeah, when people are like "omg doctors are rich and have it so good" then I just sort of blink at them.

Ah yes! sorry, I think I've missed a bunch of the thread this week due to busy/exhaustion/insanity. They aren't even the worst though. I have another fun weekend coming up of going to work Friday, working straight through Sunday night followed by a local clinic on Monday. Technically they're kinda a breach of contract, but they get around them here by having Monday in a different clinic. So you know, working 70-80 hours solid is totally a cool and normal thing for humans to do because sometimes you get to lie down for 10 minutes. You can either try to make them stick to what your contract actually says or you can keep your job, so...

And they wonder why so few stick it out and there is an increasing healthcare crisis :iiam:

Oh jesus, that sounds like hell. I'd be so frustrated all of the time. -more hug-

I also don't understand yelling at healthcare workers about wait times. It's not like they were bowling while someone waited. If they were sitting down/eating/other things humans need to do, they weren't doing it specifically to make someone wait longer, they were doing it because they needed to do it.. The vast majority of healthcare workers I've encountered were much nicer than they needed to be, even when they were obviously exhausted. BE NICE BACK DAMNIT

Edit: are there any healthcare/EMT story threads left? I remember there was one in GBS, but it got buried under all the coolpostin' last year.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

i did and i am psyched to whomp some losers with my tumor mace

gonna make a totally butch mace whomper lady who shows off her guns at every opportunity

PRAISE THE GUNS

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I have never played Dark Souls. It looks hard, I don't wanna.

Maybe I'll play some Pokémon Mystery Island instead.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
hey boyssssss ;)

----------------

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Shannonmcn posted:

Maybe I'll play some Pokémon Mystery Island instead.

I'm bad at video games and I beat dark souls. It's not too hard, it's just very challenging. It rewards you for playing carefully and smartly. It's a good game! Obviously not for everyone, though. But I absolutely adore it. The only downside is the bad UI and certain specific mechanics not getting explained well / at all (LOOKIN AT YOU, POISE! :mad:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Shannonmcn posted:

yeah I'm not keen on hard games either, I don't deal well with frustration
don't care if this makes me the cancer that is killing gaming

• Locked thread