Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I'm pretty sure that's to prevent you from killing important quest characters so you actually can't complete the game. I'm sure there is a mod that removes it.
And yet New Vegas lets people kill literally everybody and still complete the game with a meaningful ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

And yet New Vegas lets people kill literally everybody and still complete the game with a meaningful ending.

Having the classic option C (or option D, for NV) of "gently caress yours, imma do this myself." helps that. It's clear that no one at Bethesda has ever played a pen and paper RPG because that's a very popular option with players. If given a choice between two equally diverse, interesting and workable factions, most players will elect to say "gently caress this, I wanna do it myself.", steal everything that isn't nailed down, co-opt both sides into waging war, and then curb stomping the survivor with their own forces.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Everyone should do a "kill everyone in the Mojave run" at least once. Not only is it loads of fun, but you can learn about tons of quests you never knew about when the quest failed message pops up after you kill someone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LividLiquid posted:

That's only because they don't let you kill Yes Man. You can permanently lock yourself out of every path by killing the wrong people and/or bringing your faction rank low enough except for Mr. House, who is willing to work with you no matter what your reputation. If you kill him the game makes Yes Man essential and the Wild Card quests non-fail-able so you can still get an ending.

But in fact, Yes Man ISN'T so much essential as he is infinitely respawning. If he's your only ending option and you find him in Benny's hideout at the Tops, you can just kill him over and over and the second you look away he'll have respawned in the same place. You can harvest lots of scrap electronics this way, and it's also good stress relief!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 5, 2014

Caufman
May 7, 2007

CJacobs posted:

That's only because they don't let you kill Yes Man. You can permanently lock yourself out of every path by killing the wrong people and/or bringing your faction rank low enough except for Mr. House, who is willing to work with you no matter what your reputation. If you kill him the game makes Yes Man essential and the Wild Card quests non-fail-able so you can still get an ending.

But in fact, Yes Man ISN'T so much essential as he is infinitely respawning. If he's your only ending option and you find him in Benny's hideout at the Tops, you can just kill him over and over and the second you look away he'll have respawned in the same place. You can harvest lots of scrap electronics this way, and it's also good stress relief!

You say only like it was a cheap cop-out. Vendortron being the merchant of last resort because it's behind an infinitely restocking, impenetrable sheet metal kiosk, that's a bit of a cop-out. But Yes-Man being a virus that leaps from host to host, I thought that was a pretty clever way of granting a character immortality.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, it's very clever to see the securitron personalities jump from one case to another. Like, the Victor you meet later on in the game is not the same one at the start. If you go back to Goodsprings you can see his deactivated body.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CJacobs posted:

If you kill him the game makes Yes Man essential and the Wild Card quests non-fail-able so you can still get an ending.

You can't fail the Wild Card quests anyway, and it's hilarious when you do :allears:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Any character that is involved in any quest is marked essential, not just the ones on the main path.

Some of them are marked unessential after the end of their quests (or possibly when you're supposed to murder them in a quest, I forget) but most are not.

I want to say that this is more an effort to prevent dragons from killing every quest giver. It's still not good though.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can't fail the Wild Card quests anyway, and it's hilarious when you do :allears:

This is so true. I love how the dev group thought of all the ways you could decide to handle those situations. Especially when you blow the securitrons before you even get to meet Yes Man.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I haven't played this game for about 2 years, really fancied a run so I booted it up and had a blast for a few hours. Then it crashed, my save file was corrupted, and my back-up save file dumps me in Goodsprings at level 1 with no items/quests/anything. :ughh:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Frankston posted:

I haven't played this game for about 2 years, really fancied a run so I booted it up and had a blast for a few hours. Then it crashed, my save file was corrupted, and my back-up save file dumps me in Goodsprings at level 1 with no items/quests/anything. :ughh:

Read the modding thread and get your game prettied up for a new Courier.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Darn it I'm stuck in Honest Hearts. My speech isn't high enough to get Joshua to spare Salt-Upon-Wounds so I tell him to kill him and then I'm stuck in place staring Joshua down for eternity. If I reload the save and have Salt-Upon-Wounds defend himself, Joshua returns to using his normal dialogue. At the point Woundy-Salty-Face dies, the ending cinematic is meant to play.

There's probably just a console command I need to tap in but I can't figure out what it should be and this doesn't seem to be the usual bug. The Fallout Wiki says to give him back his companion ammo but that's only in case he's standing in place prior to killing Salt.

Edit: Nevermind. Turns out it was related to the Honest Hearts Extensions mod. For whatever reason, disabling that let me carry on.

Nobody Interesting fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 5, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Finished Lonesome Road, then went to finish the game.

I miss 2 loving warheads somewhere in the Divide, and they must have been obvious ones because I got all the really hidden ones, including the one inside Rawrs cave and the Couriers Mile ones.

When I went to the drat, I took Bozar, anti-material rifle, 45 smg, all american, gattling laser, q-35, pew pew and that gun, and only had ammo for the Q-35 and the pistols by the end. Which was nice, because when I killed Lanius with the Q-35 it melted him so he screamed like a bitch as he died.

Going to add some mods for my next game, specifically going to try out the JESawyer mod, just wanted to make sure that the stuff it does that effects hardcore mode stuff only effects your game if you're playing in hardcore. I tried hardcore out once, and it was one of the most unfun things I ever played.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CJacobs posted:

That's only because they don't let you kill Yes Man.
So? They found an in-universe way of having an infinitely respawnable character. It's really brilliant.

I'm working on probably my tenth playthrough right now, and just... wow. This game is still awesome, this thread is still here, and we're still finding things to talk about without feeling like we're going in a circle.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
Personally, I kind of wish that there were actually a limited supply of Securitrons that Yes Man could leap to (since House presumably only has a limited number in the New Vegas local area), and if you managed to exhaust the supply and lock out every other ending path, the game would cut to credits: "And the Mojave never reached a conclusion, since everyone was dead, since the Courier is kind of a genocidal jerk".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

twistedmentat posted:

When I went to the drat, I took Bozar, anti-material rifle, 45 smg, all american, gattling laser, q-35, pew pew and that gun, and only had ammo for the Q-35 and the pistols by the end. Which was nice, because when I killed Lanius with the Q-35 it melted him so he screamed like a bitch as he died.

I assume that's an ironic misspelling :hfive:

Also, at least half of the Legionaries carry anti-Materiel, so it's odd you ran out of ammo there.

twistedmentat posted:

Going to add some mods for my next game, specifically going to try out the JESawyer mod, just wanted to make sure that the stuff it does that effects hardcore mode stuff only effects your game if you're playing in hardcore. I tried hardcore out once, and it was one of the most unfun things I ever played.

IMHO, the only major effect of Hardcore is that stimpacks and food heal over time. Personally I can't imagine playing without it, otherwise you're basically unkillable unless you run out of stims and Fancy Lad Snack Cakes.

Jsawyer, on the other hand... look out. poo poo's got real.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Gynovore posted:

Also, at least half of the Legionaries carry anti-Materiel, so it's odd you ran out of ammo there.

People say this, but it must depend on what ending you're going for, because when I've gone NCR, which is every time, the Legion has always been geared up with marksman carbines and thermic lances in the outdoor cells, and a mixture of marksman carbines, various grades of shotgun, and power fists in the indoor areas.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Renditious posted:

Personally, I kind of wish that there were actually a limited supply of Securitrons that Yes Man could leap to (since House presumably only has a limited number in the New Vegas local area), and if you managed to exhaust the supply and lock out every other ending path, the game would cut to credits: "And the Mojave never reached a conclusion, since everyone was dead, since the Courier is kind of a genocidal jerk".

Kind of like Morrowind? "The world is doomed... because you're an rear end in a top hat."

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

And gently caress the Couriers mile. Oh hey, DEATHCLAWS appearing out of nowhere constantly, but you can't see them because you're constantly on fire from the marked men. I know its supposed to be a challenge, but thats just stupidly unfairly hard.
Doesn't the game warn you "you gonna die bitch" before you even get there? Or was it just that I went :stonk: and ran away the first time and then came back later with the sort of weapons that make death claws flop over before they know I'm around?

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 6, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gynovore posted:

IMHO, the only major effect of Hardcore is that stimpacks and food heal over time. Personally I can't imagine playing without it, otherwise you're basically unkillable unless you run out of stims and Fancy Lad Snack Cakes.

Jsawyer, on the other hand... look out. poo poo's got real.

It was needing to eat and drink and sleep constantly. I don't want to worry about that stuff, I want to explore and shoot stuff. But JESawyer doesn't add Hardcore elements into non-hardcore game.

StandardVC10 posted:

People say this, but it must depend on what ending you're going for, because when I've gone NCR, which is every time, the Legion has always been geared up with marksman carbines and thermic lances in the outdoor cells, and a mixture of marksman carbines, various grades of shotgun, and power fists in the indoor areas.

Yea, I didn't see a single AMR during the battle. Tons of shotguns, powerfists, lances and carbines, but they didn't seem to drop ammo. I ran dry with All American and was wondering why I had no ammo left because so many carbines were dropped.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Doesn't the game warn you "you gonna die bitch" before you even get there? Or was it just that I went :stonk: and ran away the first time and then came back later with the sort of weapons that make death claws flop over before they know I'm around?

Yes, but theres a difference between it being full of hard enemies, than killing everything on screen, opening a crate and suddenly have 4 deathclaws spawn behind you.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I didn't find the Mile so bad, though of course I'd heard about it ahead of time and went in at level 45 with all my highest-end equipment. What did suck was when I went back in later to find the last nuke for the achievement, and it hadn't occurred to me that the enemies might respawn :shepicide:

It is pretty neat that you complete a challenge just by daring to set foot in the place.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Apparently the Deathclaws in Courier's Mile have no DT. It'd be great if there was any indication at all that that was the case, as it is you'd only know if you took the Living Anatomy perk, which I typically don't.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

StandardVC10 posted:

Apparently the Deathclaws in Courier's Mile have no DT. It'd be great if there was any indication at all that that was the case, as it is you'd only know if you took the Living Anatomy perk, which I typically don't.

Project Nevada lets you "scan" targets using the right gear, giving you an HP/DT analysis, idea of their disposition and sight range, and a damage indicator for each body part. Mods are fun!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

twistedmentat posted:

It was needing to eat and drink and sleep constantly.

Well, once every few minutes unless you bounce back and forth between opposite ends of the map with fast travel.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Dammit I'm becoming god again. :negative: DLCs have you levelling up too fast.

I can now effectively sneak kill everyone with no repercussions and Deathclaws are now the only things in the wasteland I actually now fear, but that won't last long - I'm only level 24. I really don't think this game scales well at all.

I'm about to do Dead Money but I'm again worried about walking out of that at level 30 or something. That leaves OWB and Lonesome Road which will surely push me up to 40 if not 50. I think I need a mod that increases the level cap or at least the XP requirements, would be nice to just rebalance enemies as well without anything too extensive (I'm a bit spergy about adding new poo poo). At the same time it'd be really awful to have to start again at this point (more or less ruling out JSawyer).

Sneak is really overpowered. Sneak got me bored of Skyrim, too. I was then able to sneak around in plain sight and steal people's clothes off their backs. I left entire villages nude. I was the phantom trouser snatcher for maybe a few days then I quit the game. Bethesda just can't scale sneak properly. It's just so dumb that I can crouch down and take out just about anyone I want with a silent .22.

It'll get to a point where it doesn't matter what side I choose (edging towards Yes Man anyway, killed Vulpes so those guys hate me) because I can just crouch down and kill them all with my spud gun. Hell in my last playthrough I emptied out Vault 3 backwards like that.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's a bit of an involved install process, but I'd really recommend FOOK-PN-Convergence

It's revitalized my interest in New Vegas again, and turns it into a radically different game. I'm using the full setup with the JSawyer compatability patch and it's an entirely new experience. Firefights now hurt. Jsawyer drastically reduces your health, and certain changes in Project Nevada eliminate health gains when levelling up, so unless you find other ways to boost your health (through perks, world events or what have you) then you'll pretty much be stuck at your default health pool for the entire game. The only way to get stronger is through better equipment, perks and the like.

FOOK also makes some pretty radical changes to the gameplay, and adds in some extra/cut content which also scales very well. Even at level 30+ certain firefights can go very badly for me if I'm underprepared, caught by surprise or just plain unlucky.

The mod is basically every major overhaul rolled into one and tweaked to play nice together. It's almost like playing a Stalker game in how deadly the world can be.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nobody Interesting posted:

Dammit I'm becoming god again. :negative: DLCs have you levelling up too fast.
Always take the Skilled trait; the "downside" is actually an upside. If you have Project Nevada, you can adjust XP gain.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Do you think it'd be okay to install that given how far I am into the game now? As for the cut content restoration, how does it fare with New Vegas Uncut?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
If you want more of a challenge, go "purist cowboy" - none of them fancy autoloaders and such; plain clothing, too, y'all ain't a Knight of the Round Table all armored up, son. :clint: Dynamite's the only explosive a *real* man needs, y'know.

It really sucks right at the beginning, with shite reloading skills to make your .357 Mag. You may wish to stick with a Caravan Shotgun for a while - if you happen to have the pre-order bonus stuff, that one is pretty good. Machete will work until you can get Chance's Knife (good) or Blood-Nap (excellent :ese:).

I wasn't *entirely* purist this last run - Right To Bear Arms, some neat-looking Gunslinger outfits, a perk-every-level mod (because I wanted to be disgustingly overpowered) and both Signature Weapon and Armor (perk-every-level wasn't disgusting enough :v:). Weapon was Lucky, from the Bison Steve, "Armor" was a Guns+/Crit+ Gunslinger outfit (pretty much clothing, no real defense other than Signature perks). Oh, and a high-settings Increased Wasteland Spawns. :unsmigghh: (Plus minor other stuff like Gtab's Ammo Mod and a greenery mod and Nevada Skies...)

Stealth levels just let you get in closer to the Deathclaw hordes before you start blazing away, and without actual *armor*, you really want to be accurate and hard-hitting because you're taking one or two swipes to kill off.

I'm not sure if my next gimmick run will be a disgusting Energy Weapons one, or a disgusting Melee/Unarmed/Thrown one. Or even better, low-INT "HULK SMASH" Melee/Unarmed.

ME NO BRAIN GOOD. ME HAVE POINTY STICK! :downs:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Nobody Interesting posted:

Do you think it'd be okay to install that given how far I am into the game now? As for the cut content restoration, how does it fare with New Vegas Uncut?

I'd probably wait for a new game. I'm actually making a sort of informal compilation of mods I use that I'm eventually going to release like other goons have done for other Bethesda games (like Oblivion etc) which is built on FOOK-PN-Convergence. It will also include stuff like New Vegas Uncut etc

As for the compatability, new vegas uncut is totally compatible.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
One minor note about NV Uncut: Outside Bets; if you're using VFO at the same time, the restored scene with Victor/Yes Man observing the powering up of the Lucky 38 after you take the chip to the substation can't complete while VFO is active because there's a large tree right in their path.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I hope this thread isn't too far back, but I just finished my first-ever playthrough of NV and I'm caught up on the thread..

Background: Played the hell out of the first two games, but 3 was the one that really crystallized the experience I wanted out of Fallout. So much so that I was actively discouraged to play NV, because "The Original Dudes Are Making It!" was the antithesis of a selling point.

I feel like I'm the only person who was not engaged by NV's core plot. Having an open-ended backstory instead of a defined origin was a minus (that works in TES, not here), but the Initial Core Task is solid and personal enough. But all four games have a Plot Shift once the ICT is complete, but NV's is dry and has no emotional resonance.

F1: Fixed the Vault, but I'm down with trying to find and eliminate the source of those Mutants, because my home is at risk.
F2: Found the GECK, and I'm down with finding and eliminating the people who stole my tribals, because they are my home.
F3: Found my Dad, but know the Enclave is buzzing about and want to find Vaulters, of which my home is one of them.

NV: Got my revenge, retrieved the item I was supposed to deliver... and what's keeping me here to deal with these groups for control over the Mojave? Where's the motivation to deal/support any of these groups? The NCR, the Good Guys that a lot of NPCs use a lot of :words: to flesh out a deep, greying downside for, boils down to -1 to Efficiency in both practical and thematic weight. The Legion? Bad guys, whose half-hearted attempt to be greyed-up is belied by the whole raping-enslaving-everyone thing. House assumes you'll want to work with him because you delivered something to him. Yes Man's route would have been more interesting if it wasn't me taking over things, but literally giving the setting independence. This feeling is exasperated by Lonesome Road flat-out telling you that you deliver poo poo to a lot of places, and none of it matters to you personally.

The core conflict in New Vegas is political, Six-foot-tall-dude-fighting-at-another-six-foot-tall-dude conflict. After playing three games facing hulking mutant warbands and highly-equipped remnants of the US military, such a step down to something as mundane and low-level as NV's was a serious letdown. I felt like I was playing the Civil War questline from Skyrim, waiting for the actual world-threatening thing to come around.

Beyond the story, I was also unimpressed wih the way the player was funneled through a single ideal route. It's hard for me to muster up any motivation to do another play-through because unless I pull up the console to kill all the Cazadors on the straight path, I'm generally going to have to go through the same route that I did last time*. Open-world gaming 101: If I see a landmark in the far-off distance and say "I want to go there", and something gets in my way of getting there, something is dangerously wrong**.

Design-wise, NV felt too 'stable'; surviving the Great War too well. FO3's setting worked*** thematically and mechanically because it was a place that logically would be horribly hosed up even 200 years after the War. Avellone said that he'd have nuked the NCR to return the setting to its roots, but he's missing the point: If you've set up a location in two games enough that they are getting post-post-apocalyptic, don't make a game in that area anymore! I get that they wanted to return to the area for nostalgia's sake, but was it really the best place to set a side-quel? This thread has had its cycles of "X would be a good place to set the new Fallout game" for a reason: there's plenty of locales that even 200 years after the war, things can be still hosed up and decrepit. Maybe they survived better than the Capitol, but they inevitably will be worse off than the West. (Another shout-out to Lonesome Road: it was the only DLC where I genuinely felt like I was playing Fallout; climbing through ruin and wreckage.)

I've said a lot of negative things, but at the core I think New Vegas was a passable game. What it does outstandingly is putting a cap (no pun intended) on the Old Fallout Stuff. Going forward, it can do no harm to later Fallouts, and no harm can come to it. The NCR area is free to improve silently in the background of the series, without letting its progress harm the after-the-end setting. The intolerant/rear end in a top hat BoS chapters are dead or dying out, leaving the only BoS chapters as the good ones from the Midwest/Capitol region. And it wouldn't take much tweaking to claim that there's more Enclave / Bad Guys With Too Much Power out there to keep the series going on.

Oh, and quick DLC talk: Didn't play Dead Money because the explosive neckband mechanic wasn't fun (seriously, make the radio light up when you're triggering it so that players know where it is!); will prolly do it again with this mod to eliminate the mechanic. Honest Hearts was fun but short. OWB was quite awesome, and LR was a great capstone for the game. I found it somewhat funny that the theme of Letting Go Of The Past conflicted with how much the developers referenced the old Fallout games over the modern incarnation.

Oh, and here's a horror:

* I'm moderately annoyed at the Underground House mod, since it puts it on the North Path, so I have to console-kill the Cazadors anyway...
** Yes, I've read rope kid's assertion that you can totally go the North Path, you just have to 'earn it'. Has that justification ever been more than "we want you to take another path so you can see our stuff"?
*** Even the subway system, which this thread taught me people had issues with. :wtc:

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 14, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The Trail Carbine is an amazing gun. With the exception of DLC's, this thing has carried me from level 10 or 11 all the way to 30. It's a shame because I installed a huge weapons pack mod with all sorts of modern and tacticlol guns, but this thing works so much better.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Oh, and here's a horror:

That's it. I'm done.

No. No. Nononono.

There's bullshit, and then there's this. There are things Man should not meddle with. Dark creatures from the void of Space who would crush us if they became aware of us. This is worse.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

You basically have really bad opinions

Open world games are bad because you can just go anywhere, sorry to say. FO3's worst thing was that at level 1 I was safer to go do the main quest than I would be at level 30 with awesome items, because everything scaled in extremely broken ways. Yeah, get to rivet city withotu seeing a single super mutant because they don't spawn yet, then get through the simulation and through project purity with the Enclave only holding literally the weakest guns in the game because ~scaling~.

F3 is dumb and your dad is dumb and the enclave being around is dumb. And all of the dialogue is badly written.

Also, Nuclear bomb stuff would be cleaned up within like 40 years IRL

And you wouldn't be eating food that's been sitting around for that long

The reason FO3 is designed to be so much more 'apocalytpic' than NV is that FO3 was originally going to take place at the same time or even before FO1, according to interviews. IT was going to be like, one generation after the bombings.

FO3 had a terrible sense of humor (yes put in a vault full of clones that only say their own name because FALLOUTS IF FUNY!!!!1111!!!), had DLC that actively was loving retarded (Yes, swamp men who are tougher than super mutants because they are inbred! Also alien abductions! RANDUM!~ OH man the aliens caused the nukes in the first place! HAHahahaha funny!)

Seriously though, 'open ended backstory' being a minus tells me you're a Bad Person anyways. The story isn't meant to be Fallout's 'jee here's the right thing to do every step of the way because dear ol' dad who you love (even though you only met him like twice in game) wants it. Wait no, poison everyone to kill them instead'

FO3's setting was bad and that you liked the subway tunnels is crazy. That's like liking Dragon Age 2's dungeons.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
dumb bad opinions about fallout and console killing stuff, F3 is definitely the game for you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KittyEmpress posted:

You basically have really bad opinions

Hot drat you got super mad about a guy not liking NV. :chillpill:

But I don't know what you're going on about when it comes to the 'lol so random' humor, NV has that in spades. The game doesn't ever pretend for a second to be stone-cold serious, and the whole reason why Wild Wasteland exists in NV is because people did want that brand of humor to be in it. That still doesn't mean it's quarantined from the actual intricate game world though because there's all kinds of wacky poo poo that happens. You're telling me the Bright followers packing into a couple legitimate rockets and blasting off to god knows where because of their religious beliefs isn't silly and random? You're telling me a literal school of people that want to be like Elvis headed by a man who knows the most about Elvis isn't silly and random?

I guess my point is that you can't really dump "the humor was bad!" on FO3 because every game in the series has had the same kind of poo poo.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 14, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

CJacobs posted:

Hot drat you got super mad about a guy not liking NV. :chillpill:

But I don't know what you're going on about when it comes to the 'lol so random' humor, NV has that in spades. The game doesn't ever pretend for a second to be stone-cold serious, and the whole reason why Wild Wasteland exists in NV is because people did want that brand of humor to be in it. That still doesn't mean it's quarantined from the actual intricate game world though because there's all kinds of wacky poo poo that happens. You're telling me the Bright followers packing into a couple legitimate rockets and blasting off to god knows where because of their religious beliefs isn't silly and random? You're telling me a literal school of people that want to be like Elvis headed by a man who knows the most about Elvis isn't silly and random?

I guess my point is that you can't really dump "the humor was bad!" on FO3 because every game in the series has had the same kind of poo poo.

No, I honestly don't think that those two things are as silly as 'vault full of clones' or aliens causing everything. I mean they are silly, but the Kings are at least around for more than to giggle at. The issue with FO3 is that the humor is completely seperate from the serious - you have serious moments, and funny moments, and serious quests and funny quests. The Kings are a silly idea that have an actually serious plot line attached, so you get beyond the surface 'lol look at how silly this is'.

And it's not really getting mad when you're going down a list and pointing out the bad parts of FO3 or his criticisms of NV. Thanks for assuming that I can't talk about someone's bad opinions without being mad though???

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KittyEmpress posted:

And it's not really getting mad when you're going down a list and pointing out the bad parts of FO3 or his criticisms of NV. Thanks for assuming that I can't talk about someone's bad opinions without being mad though???

You said he had lovely opinions and called him a bad person for what he thinks about factions and backstory in a video game. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MisterBibs posted:

Beyond the story, I was also unimpressed wih the way the player was funneled through a single ideal route. It's hard for me to muster up any motivation to do another play-through because unless I pull up the console to kill all the Cazadors on the straight path, I'm generally going to have to go through the same route that I did last time*. Open-world gaming 101: If I see a landmark in the far-off distance and say "I want to go there", and something gets in my way of getting there, something is dangerously wrong**.
The funneling is extremely soft if you know what you're doing; out of around a dozen playthroughs of NV the vast majority of them I've waltzed right through that area you're claiming you have to cheat to cross. And the notion that there being any friction in travel anywhere is somehow a mortal sin against game design is just ridiculous. I can see Blighttown from Firelink Shrine, doesn't mean I should be able to just float right down there without using the Master Key and having to run past some fat ghouls wielding poop bats.

The j-shaped route is handy for new players to be eased into the game and the difficulty of enemies, and is much better than Skyrim's "empty... empty... wolves... empty... BEAR!!!" with no guidance on where they should be going, while still allowing experienced players to have free reign of the map.