Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

spongeworthy posted:

Check the last 10-12 pages, there's a big list in there somewhere.

Cool... Didn't see anything in the first post and it's all struckthrough anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!
Is there a guide to tethering apps somewhere? Which ones are best for averting carrier detection, etc?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I think it is basically TetherMe and MiWi. TetherMe is about a fourth of the price of MiWi and works with the same basic functionality, so you'll have to decide if it is worth the extra ~$15 for whatever special features MiWi offers.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Or PDAnet, which is free.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rabite posted:

Always iPod Play - prevents music from stopping when switching to games.

Awesome, now if I had something to keep the games volume a bit lower than the music.

Which source is this from? Or is it IOS7 only?

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

~Coxy posted:

Which source is this from? Or is it IOS7 only?

It's on insanelyi

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Speaking of MyWi, I can't get it to work. (iPhone 5, 7.0.4) When I turn it on it is discoverable by other devices, such as an iPad, but when connected a message will pop up on the connecting device saying the device it's connecting to (my iPhone) is not connected to the Internet. I've tried multiple times and have always had a solid LTE connection, and the iPad can always connect to MyWi, but just doesn't connect to the Internet. Is there some kind of setting that I need to change in MyWi or is it just not working yet?

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I had various connection problems with MyWi where several of my devices were able to detect, connect but not access the Internet so I switched to TetherMe and have had no complaints.

Little fishes
Nov 12, 2010

All the little fishes
This doesn't quite fit in any thread but since tethering came up I thought I would ask. I love using an iPad 2 as a second screen for my Surface Pro through the Splashtop WiFi Display app. I could do with a way of doing this without a router for when I'm in the field. Setting up an ad-hoc networked from the Surface worked once but the pad has never been able to connect since, PdaNet doesn't seem to connect the devices in a way that allows this. TetherMe has the ‘recheck’ button, likely due to the pad being WiFi only. The expensive MyWi will allow me to purchase. I’d be happy to pay for this ability (tethered or over air) but I was wondering if anyone else did this and can confirm a way that it works on iOS7 before I spend money.

Also, has WeBe++ been replaced by anything? Being able to use the iPad as a keyboard would really minimise what I carry around with me.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

The OP hasn't been updated in forever (it's said "wait a few days" for over a month now). Are things still shady and hosed, or is it considered pretty safe to be jailbreaking again at this point?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
It's safe. Go for it.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
What's the agreed upon consensus on cleaning out "Other" on iDevices? I'm up to 2+ GB and it's killing me.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

pseudonordic posted:

What's the agreed upon consensus on cleaning out "Other" on iDevices? I'm up to 2+ GB and it's killing me.
It's generally fine. It certainly won't break your phone. What it can do is delete app-specific caches of data, which may or may not need to be redownloaded. For example, I used to play Simpsons: Tapped Out, which downloads extra content from time to time - new characters, episode-specific tie-ins, etc. Once, I deleted the Other space and launched the Simpsons. Every bit of extra content had to be downloaded again.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bob Socko posted:

It's generally fine. It certainly won't break your phone. What it can do is delete app-specific caches of data, which may or may not need to be redownloaded. For example, I used to play Simpsons: Tapped Out, which downloads extra content from time to time - new characters, episode-specific tie-ins, etc. Once, I deleted the Other space and launched the Simpsons. Every bit of extra content had to be downloaded again.

What's the suggested way of doing it? I just pulled CoreUtils from Cydia and I'm running du to see what's where.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 4, 2014

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

pseudonordic posted:

Search for "PhoneClean Thanksgiving edition"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Very first thing to do is to restart your phone (assuming you currently have a long uptime) because that can sometimes be all there is to it and if it was that then you'll be glad you tried it first!

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I'm considering jailbreaking my phone but I have a few questions before I do it:

1. Is there a tweak that will let me remove the stupid blurry background from the dock?
2. Is there a tweak that will let me change the way that folders look? I would prefer to have an icon as a folder, rather than a little grid of tiny icons.
3. Does jailbreaking still mess up Find my iPhone? What about Activation Lock?
4. I'm on iOS 7.0.6, will it Just Work(tm) or do I have to do anything to make it work?
5. I know it was impossible to brick an iPhone when jailbreaking in previous versions of iOS, is that still true?
6. I just want to customize my home screen and block ads. Will it hurt my battery life?

I've never done this before, sorry if my questions are stupid.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Anyone know of a tweak to be able to adjust ringer volume while on the lock screen? I hate having to unlock and enter my pass code just to make sure my ringer isn't too low.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm considering jailbreaking my phone but I have a few questions before I do it:

1. Is there a tweak that will let me remove the stupid blurry background from the dock?
2. Is there a tweak that will let me change the way that folders look? I would prefer to have an icon as a folder, rather than a little grid of tiny icons.
3. Does jailbreaking still mess up Find my iPhone? What about Activation Lock?
4. I'm on iOS 7.0.6, will it Just Work(tm) or do I have to do anything to make it work?
5. I know it was impossible to brick an iPhone when jailbreaking in previous versions of iOS, is that still true?
6. I just want to customize my home screen and block ads. Will it hurt my battery life?

I've never done this before, sorry if my questions are stupid.

1. Yes
2. Yes, I'm pretty sure I know what you mean.
3. First I've heard of this?
4. Yes
5. Yes, barring manually rooting around in the filesystem and loving something up (still highly unlikely). Even then a DFU restore puts it back to stock. Basically the worst that can happen is you have to start from scratch.
6. Blocking ads is easy with a custom hosts file or I think there is an adblock on Cydia. I always use the custom hosts file method personally. Customizing the home screen doesn't kill battery unless you're using stuff thats constantly checking the weather or something (In my experience at least).

None of these are stupid questions :)
Better you're actually learning about potential pitfalls than running in here screaming "Wah I hosed up my phone forever you guys suck :saddowns:"

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Can we talk about emulators in here? Not how to get them or where to get roms.. none of that nonsense, I just want to know if anyone has had any experience with one that I have been looking at.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I have a 6.X jailbroken iphone 5, and an ipad mini that I'd like to both get jailbroken on iOS 7.0.6

iPad is simple enough.

Whats the ideal procedure for getting the iphone 5 on iOS from a jailbroken state? Not too worried about losing much as I've got the important stuff backed up already.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Walked posted:

I have a 6.X jailbroken iphone 5, and an ipad mini that I'd like to both get jailbroken on iOS 7.0.6

iPad is simple enough.

Whats the ideal procedure for getting the iphone 5 on iOS from a jailbroken state? Not too worried about losing much as I've got the important stuff backed up already.

I think the going consensus is: put your phone is DFU mode, restore as a new phone with latests iOS, run Evasion. I think some people use their backups to restore all of their stuff, but I've always manually done it or used the cloud.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

3. First I've heard of this?

Regarding "Find my iPhone" not working - I'm guessing they mean Remote Wipe.

Find my iPhone works, but you can no longer reliably remote wipe, which can be a big deal depending on what you have on your device (or your employer).

Remote wipe is like hitting the "Erase All Content and Settings" button. Many people already know that doesn't work. It puts your device in a boot-loop. Nothing is actually deleted, and it can be possible to get out of a boot-loop - so anyone with your device can keep trying to get at your stuff.

With no way to reliably remote-wipe the device, with iOS 7 it can now compromise how Activation Lock itself works.

You don't hear the jailbreak developers talk about it (it's broken in iOS 7, iOS 6, iOS 5, etc), and much of the "community" seems more concerned with ugly themes and pirated apps than if their device is secure or works properly.

I've had a developer (saurik, even, I believe) tell me it's a "small price" people are willing to pay to gain other freedoms and such customization with their device.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Huh, that is a bad thing then. I'm comfortable with disabling shutdown and airplane mode on the lock screen though.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

I'm brand new to jailbreaking, and I feel a bit retarded... How'd I do?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

[snip]

None of these are stupid questions :)
Better you're actually learning about potential pitfalls than running in here screaming "Wah I hosed up my phone forever you guys suck :saddowns:"

Thanks for the info! I really wanna jailbreak, but...

Xenomorph posted:

Find my iPhone works, but you can no longer reliably remote wipe, which can be a big deal depending on what you have on your device (or your employer).

Remote wipe is like hitting the "Erase All Content and Settings" button. Many people already know that doesn't work. It puts your device in a boot-loop. Nothing is actually deleted, and it can be possible to get out of a boot-loop - so anyone with your device can keep trying to get at your stuff.

With no way to reliably remote-wipe the device, with iOS 7 it can now compromise how Activation Lock itself works.

... I can't do it, then. :( Not having remote wipe is not a huge problem, but not having Activation Lock is. Not being able to wipe the phone doesn't matter if I can just lock it to keep people from accessing my stuff, but if I can't do that then I guess I'm just going to have to deal with the ugly blurry dock and the awful icons.

I love absolutely everything about my iPhone, except the lack of customization. Coming from Android, it's just unbelievable that I can't even put my icons wherever I want without them snapping into a grid. It seems like such basic functionality. Like, I understand not having widgets and all that crap but Christ at least let me decide where I want my drat icons to go. Grrr.

Is jailbreaking simple/easy enough that I could do it just to play around for a bit and then put it back the way it was relatively painlessly? Are there free tweaks that I could play with for customization? Not sure I'd want to spend money on something I wouldn't actually be using.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

SunknLiner posted:

I'm brand new to jailbreaking, and I feel a bit retarded... How'd I do?

Looks great man. Which skin is this? Does the theme include the weather bar you got there?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

the kawaiiest posted:

Is jailbreaking simple/easy enough that I could do it just to play around for a bit and then put it back the way it was relatively painlessly? Are there free tweaks that I could play with for customization? Not sure I'd want to spend money on something I wouldn't actually be using.

All it takes to un-jailbreak is to do a fresh restore of the OS.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Frinkahedron posted:

All it takes to un-jailbreak is to do a fresh restore of the OS.

That easy huh? Sweet. I think I'll give a try later. I just go to http://evasi0n.com/ and follow the instructions, right?

Last dumb question of the day: there are a lot of tweaks for customization, which one allows me to put my icons wherever I want and install themes? If there's a free one I would prefer that since I'm just playing around but I'll spend a few bucks if I have to.

Thank you all for helping me out. Hopefully I won't gently caress things up like this guy. :ohdear:

e: what does this mean?

quote:

Warning! Over The Air updates of iOS 7 are known to create an issue and make the jailbreak fail. Some devices are then stuck on the Apple Boot Logo. Until we fix that, please restore your device to 7.0.x with iTunes first.
I have 7.0.6 and it was an OTA update. Do I have to do anything before jailbreaking or is this just a thing that says "don't update iOS after jailbreaking"?

(I guess that wasn't my last dumb question after all)

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 6, 2014

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

loudog999 posted:

Can we talk about emulators in here? Not how to get them or where to get roms.. none of that nonsense, I just want to know if anyone has had any experience with one that I have been looking at.

Yes and the right answer is Retroarch. Pretty much every other emulator is a lazy port, and often they're even charging money for them too. Add the http://themaister.net/cydia to your Cydia sources for the latest versions.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

the kawaiiest posted:

e: what does this mean?

I have 7.0.6 and it was an OTA update. Do I have to do anything before jailbreaking or is this just a thing that says "don't update iOS after jailbreaking"?

(I guess that wasn't my last dumb question after all)

When planning to jailbreak when you're on an OTA updated version of iOS, it's recommended to do an iCloud backup, then restore your phone through iTunes with the latest (jailbreakable) iOS which is still 7.0.4. Then restore your backup, and then jailbreak.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

yamdankee posted:

When jailbreaking, it's recommended to do an iCloud backup, then restore your phone through iTunes with the latest (jailbreakable) iOS which is still 7.0.4. Then restore your backup, and then jailbreak.

Ah gotcha. Thanks. I'm gonna give it a try. Hopefully it'll all work out and I won't come back here crying for help. Thanks again, guys!

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

decypher posted:

Looks great man. Which skin is this? Does the theme include the weather bar you got there?

The theme is i7Cons Pro, and the weather widget is from iWidgets PackS. I used FolderEnhancer to fiddle with my folders (duh), and HomescreenDesigner to get my icon positioning in place to make room for the weather widget.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

yamdankee posted:

then restore your phone through iTunes with the latest (jailbreakable) iOS which is still 7.0.4.

The Evasion jailbreak works for 7.0.6.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

loudog999 posted:

I was told long ago, (maybe I'm the ios games thread and not here, don't remember) that it was fine.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

BrainDance posted:

I was told long ago, (maybe I'm the ios games thread and not here, don't remember) that it was fine.

Ok great, I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience with this ds emulator called nds4ios. I can think of a few ds games that would run pretty great on a touch screen, and I think I read that this supports mfi controllers. Is it worth trying out?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

loudog999 posted:

Ok great, I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience with this ds emulator called nds4ios. I can think of a few ds games that would run pretty great on a touch screen, and I think I read that this supports mfi controllers. Is it worth trying out?

All the games I tried on my iphone 5 ran like poo poo, even older NDS games. Kinda disappointing.

I keep trying to find a GBA emulator that's decent, but havent had much luck (admittedly I gave up pretty quickly)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Walked posted:

All the games I tried on my iphone 5 ran like poo poo, even older NDS games. Kinda disappointing.

I keep trying to find a GBA emulator that's decent, but havent had much luck (admittedly I gave up pretty quickly)

gba.emu was pretty good when I had iOS6. I have RetroArch now but haven't actually gotten around to using it so I can't comment on quality firsthand.

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007
The one thing i really miss from android is Swype style keyboards. Is there a keyboard app that does this available for jailbroken ios7 phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I have friends and family with Androids and I can type faster with my two thumbs than they with their swipe. I'd recommend just sticking with it, you'll eventually get really really fast. I do have 7 years experience though.

But to actually give you what you asked for, I found this: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/01/31/bring-swype-to-ios-with-touchpal-ios-7-jailbreak-tweak/

I'm not sure if there's a better or more highly recommended option out there but this is a start anyway, eh?

There's also one called iSwipe.

• Locked thread