Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Lumpy (possibly defective), as well as all season or cold weather tires (especially a mismatched set) can greatly affect steering feel and drivability. Perhaps start there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

Lumpy (possibly defective), as well as all season or cold weather tires (especially a mismatched set) can greatly affect steering feel and drivability. Perhaps start there?

I was on the 4x matching winters, swapped a khumo onto the most suspect wheel before driving home today and the problem got worse! I've got a decent Dunlop winter tire, and two more kuumos so I may swap the front left, or possibly both sides out again tomorrow if I have time.

Oh, and the TC light doesn't come on alongside the vibration, and giving it a bit of welly and getting the back to break traction (getting TC to kick in) doesn't cause any vibration.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

stump posted:

2. After driving over bumps at speed, the vibration continues, fading away like a bouncing ball. Ditto on feeling it from the left wheel, feeling it through the steering.
All other suspension bits original, or at least 66,000 miles old. Misting on front left shock.

Shocks. Do all 4.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

Shocks. Do all 4.

Not the worst outcome, if it's likely to fix my issues. I've been meaning to do it for 50,000 miles. Is it worth doing springs while I'm at it? And are any of the cheaper (I.e. Not £800 worth of bilstein) aftermarket options worth it?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
IIRC Bilstein doesn't do springs unless you're referring to their coilover setups. Price out H&R springs, that's going to be your best value.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
After a ATF and filter change the transmission feels brand new, its virtually seamless shifts now.

Changed at 65 K miles, old liquid looked black and nasty, so much for that bogus "lifetime ATF".

Next new battery and just keep general
Maintenance.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I'm not sure how brit pricing works, but in NA it's about 1k USD to get springs + decent shocks if you go aftermarket, unless you wait for a deal. OE shocks are generally a lot cheaper. OE Springs are generally way more expensive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Buy some used springs if you can find them--they don't really wear at all.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I've done a bit of reading and I'm going to go for Sachs (I think they are OEM?) shocks and leave the springs for now. Euro car parts has four for £190.

Eibach springs look like a decent bet but I'm a bit skint so they can wait. Not convinced I want to lower it anyway, as I end up battering down rough tracks now and then.

The Bilsteins I was referring to were the B12 kit, with Eibach springs. I've actually seen them for ~£650, but like I said, skint!

Edit: Ps. Cheers Guys! Was considering trying to get the front shocks done tomorrow afternoon but ECP only have the right hand side so I'll take it easy till the weekend and do it then.

stump fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 5, 2014

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BraveUlysses posted:

Oh man, I probably shouldn't be looking at E9x M3 sedans but prices are really looking better every day for the 08-09 models, mid-30's range. Any problems with the earlier models?

Welcome to mein kampf ( :v: ). They seem to be pretty well sorted out platforms and as the new generation M3/4 come to market it will drive prices down further.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Have the E90 fuel pumps stopped exploding at this point?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

8ender posted:

Have the E90 fuel pumps stopped exploding at this point?

That's an issue in the turbo models (335s), it has nothing to do with the naturally aspirated V8 in the M3.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Does anybody have experience or advice with a replaced/repaired ECU from https://www.ecudoctors.com ? My M3 has abad case of Kentucky Fried Computer, and spending nearly $2000 on a new one is.. uhh... really not preferable.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
What car?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
He's got an E36 IIRC

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Oof, ya. 99

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
I just had a fun repair on my e90. My dashboard and hvac controls were turning off while driving, then coming back on with all kinds of error lights and a tpms warning. Turns out the tpms receiver poo poo the bed and was flooding the canbus with garbage, leading to component resets. They replaced it under warranty and everything is fine, but drat was I worried that would be a pricey instrument-panel related fix.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

juche mane posted:

Oof, ya. 99

Do you care about EWS? You could grab a used DME with ews deleted for easily half their repair price.

Or get a used DME with ews and anyone with a GT1 or even a laptop with INPA can align the new DME with existing EWS. If that site can't fix yours you'll need to have it done anyway.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This evening I had a chance to test the pressure of my cylinders, hoping my 1996 328is *doesn't* need a headgasket replacement.
Result:
  • Cylinder 1 (counting from closest to the radiator): 169 psi
  • C2: 195
  • C3: 199
  • C4: 183
  • C5: 211
  • C6: 180
There seems to be an oil leak, C2 had a fair bit of oil coating the bottom of the boot that goes over the top of the spark plug, and C5 was nearly full of oil in that space.

Pictures of spark plugs (click through to my Flickr for bigger)

Cylinder Test 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Cylinder Test 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

Cylinder Test 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

Cylinder Test 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

Cylinder Test 5 by Execudork, on Flickr

Cylinder Test 6 by Execudork, on Flickr

That big difference from C1 to C2 combined with the white crusties on the spark plugs seems consistent with "bad headgasket". I'd love a second opinion, though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Pressurize the cylinders one at a time while measuring the pressure in the cooling system...

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Throw away those ridiculous multi-electrode plugs while you're at it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Das Volk posted:

Throw away those ridiculous multi-electrode plugs while you're at it.

Those are OEM...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

E46 2l diesel touring: moderate or higher acceleration starts a shudder in the drivetrain. Backing of a little and reapplying throttle makes it go away, but I can pretty much do it on demand, what should I be looking at replacing?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cakefool posted:

E46 2l diesel touring: moderate or higher acceleration starts a shudder in the drivetrain. Backing of a little and reapplying throttle makes it go away, but I can pretty much do it on demand, what should I be looking at replacing?

Same thing in every gear?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cakefool posted:

does it get worse with higher and higher revs? could be a guibo

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I'm ready to push this car off a cliff.

The car is a 1995 530i with a strange issue. I drive 30 miles to and from work. Each morning, I start the car up and it runs fine. Then at the same place every day, about 5 minutes from my house, it suddenly starts running like crap. No power, stumbling. The dash lights start fading in and out, and it accelerates like a diesel Chevette. So I pull over in the same spot every day, use my code scanner to clear the codes, and restart the car. It runs perfectly the rest of the way to work. Couldn't be happier. But then the same thing happens on the way home. At the same spot, 5 minutes from the office. It's very frustrating.

I usually check the codes before I clear them, and it pulls a DWA/EWS input code at that time (along with an #1 o2 sensor and Lambda #1). When I got to work today, I rechecked and that code was gone, but still had the other 2.

Could the computer be the problem here?

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds like it's turning to a non cold-temp fuel mapping when it starts to run improperly (because it's happening 5 min from your house and because it would reset/relearn possibly when you reset the codes, thus causing it to relearn when it's about 5 min from your work). It could be a problem with the O2 sensor like the car is trying to tell you - have you had it looked at? Next time it starts to run like poo poo pop the hood and unplug the MAF and see if that does anything - it could be a MAF problem too in which case unplugging it wouldn't affect anything. The dash lights are probably fading in and out because it's idling very low at times when it's not running correctly.

gently caress this loving piece of poo poo. I finally got around to replacing the other o2 sensor, but I'm still getting the Lambda #1 and Oxygen Sensor #1 codes. I have the M60 V8. Passenger side is #1, right? I swapped the o2 sensor heater relay in the E-box with the other 4 pin relay, but the code still pops up. Fuel economy is actually worse somehow. The DWA/EWS code keeps coming up, but that's a security code and is unrelated, right?

The difference is that the light is only on sporadically. It seems pretty random. It'll pop on for a split second, then go out. Then at a stoplight, it'll stay on for a bit. It doesn't seem to happen at a consistent event, like acceleration or deceleration.

I have a fuel filter on order. I don't know what else to do. I have a spare IAC valve and a spare MAF I can try. I might go ahead and get a new relay.

EDIT: I swapped both the MAF and the IAC and it runs a little better. The CEL was still coming on, but fuel economy was better. I should be more systematic and only swap one at a time.

Asshole Bicycle fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 7, 2014

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm starting to think I'm going to have to replace my battery this year, since I've drained it flat twice now trying to start it in cold weather. So far, hooking it up to a charger has done the job, but I'm worried it's just going to stop working altogether one of these days.
Since I've got an E90, I was under the impression I couldn't just pop in a new battery and call it a day right? I have to go get the computer reset or something like that? is that something I can do myself with the right tool, or am I going to have to take it to a dealer so they can hook up Cerebro to do something. I have to assume an aftermarket battery+tool is still going to be cheaper then whatever a dealer is going to charge me to replace a battery.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Have the swirl flaps been done? I have heard of them causing quite serious vibrations prior to failure. Not saying it def. is that, but worth checking as if they do go it's v. bad news. Mine is at 166k and they haven't popped yet.... I really should do the delete :gonk:

Swirl flap vibrations: http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=114469

Despite an utterly hosed front shock my e46 made it all they way Uist with gusto. So it's a shame the ferry is hosed and I won't be going home till sunday... that's the plan for fixing it scuppered!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Funzo posted:

I'm starting to think I'm going to have to replace my battery this year, since I've drained it flat twice now trying to start it in cold weather. So far, hooking it up to a charger has done the job, but I'm worried it's just going to stop working altogether one of these days.
Since I've got an E90, I was under the impression I couldn't just pop in a new battery and call it a day right? I have to go get the computer reset or something like that? is that something I can do myself with the right tool, or am I going to have to take it to a dealer so they can hook up Cerebro to do something. I have to assume an aftermarket battery+tool is still going to be cheaper then whatever a dealer is going to charge me to replace a battery.

An online coder can do it via Teamviewer and some BMWtech tools. I used a well regarded one who is on Bimmerfest/Bimmerworld to code some E90 features.

You might want to search those forums for "E90 Battery Coding"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but,

I have a BMW. It's my only car. I put about 2500 miles a year on it. I don't use it to commute to work.

It's only worth about $3200-4000, which means I pay about 25% of it's value in insurance each year.

Can I get my insurance cheaper if I list it as a collector's car or ______ special insurance so long as I keep it under X miles? Because right now it costs me about $0.34/mile to insure the drat thing. It's actually cheaper to not insure it, and pay any "uninsured driver" tickets I might get* @ $450 ea

*I don't recommend breaking the law

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If it's your only car, most insurance companies won't give you classic car insurance.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You should probably ask in the insurance thread. I know my company, State Farm, gives a discount for low mileage. They don't even ask for proof, they just mail me a thing each year and I have to write in the mileage.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

ColdPie posted:

You should probably ask in the insurance thread. I know my company, State Farm, gives a discount for low mileage. They don't even ask for proof, they just mail me a thing each year and I have to write in the mileage.
I guess in lieu of proof, if you have an accident and your car has 95,000 miles, but your paperwork says you should have 72,000, that would be all they would need to deny you coverage.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Hadlock posted:

I have a BMW. It's my only car. I put about 2500 miles a year on it. I don't use it to commute to work.

It's only worth about $3200-4000, which means I pay about 25% of it's value in insurance each year.

Can I get my insurance cheaper if I list it as a collector's car or ______ special insurance so long as I keep it under X miles? Because right now it costs me about $0.34/mile to insure the drat thing. It's actually cheaper to not insure it, and pay any "uninsured driver" tickets I might get* @ $450 ea

What year is your car? What state are you in?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ziploc posted:

Same thing in every gear?

Yes.

BraveUlysses posted:

does it get worse with higher and higher revs? could be a guibo

It does.

stump posted:

Have the swirl flaps been done? I have heard of them causing quite serious vibrations prior to failure. Not saying it def. is that, but worth checking as if they do go it's v. bad news. Mine is at 166k and they haven't popped yet.... I really should do the delete :gonk:

Swirl flap vibrations: http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=114469

Oh crap I remember reading about these :suicide:

I'll check the guibo and read up on swirl flaps again, I've never pulled an intake, I don't want to do out twice if I forget something.

Thanks guys, very helpful.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Wait, are you talking about not having 3rd party injury/property insurance? If so, that's a terrible loving idea. Hit a Ferrari or worse, a person, and you're ruined forever. I don't know how the insurance system works where you are, but where I am you only get in trouble for driving without insurance that covers injury to other people (but you'd be a loving idiot to not have 3rd party property or personal injury). Don't do this.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 8, 2014

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Cakefool posted:

I'll check the guibo and read up on swirl flaps again, I've never pulled an intake, I don't want to do out twice if I forget something.
If you are pulling the intake to check them you might as well buy the blanking plates and fit them anyway, they aren't expensive. There is, however, two different sizes and the switchover date isn't definite, but I think there is a serial number you can check.

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004
Halfway through downpipe install on the 335i..poo poo reminds me of the frustration working on 300Z and 3000GT. No room for hands, elbows, arms, tools, loving AIR...

A dozen bolts and 4 hours later I'm one v-band clamp away from reassembly, but FML the clearance to have the band snap properly on the front turbo and downpipe simultaneously is killing me.

edit: finally got everything back together and switched the JB4 to map 2. Quit a respectable difference, the car easily breaks 2nd gear loose from a roll (in an auto).

Overall the apprehension I felt from owning a 335i has disappeared. I've gotten familiar with servicing it, code read/clearing, and maintenance. If anyone is considering it...just do it.

S.W.G. fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 9, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Coolant? On my floor pan? Goddamned thread title strikes again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Anyone have any luck doing foamectomies on E36 seats?