Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

What was the story behind that, out of curiosity? Was it pretty much the dev got tons more money than expected, realized they would have to spend even more than that to satisfy all of the stretch goals, and bailed out?

As far as I know, they keep tacking on stretch goals and delaying things (the ship fighting thing is supposed to be beta tested next month, but it'll just get delayed). Chris Roberts also promised things like exploring planets, boarding enemy ships, and PlanetSide 2-caliber ground combat, but that'll never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

As far as I know, they keep tacking on stretch goals and delaying things (the ship fighting thing is supposed to be beta tested next month, but it'll just get delayed). Chris Roberts also promised things like exploring planets, boarding enemy ships, and PlanetSide 2-caliber ground combat, but that'll never happen.

Speaking of things Tropers like that will never come to be, what do they think of the Mars One project?

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

So basically like a more professional and scammy version of Civilian Tom's Mindless Conflict, no?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Has he published any more chapters? That was the best story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if he published any chapters, just loads of in media res excerpts.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Djeser posted:

but from what I can see the page is just a list of relationships where people are different heights.

Subverted: my girlfriend is as tall as me
Averted: my girlfriend has no physical dimensions
Deconstructed: my girlfriend is in pieces in a bag in my trunk
Reconstructed: my girlfriend lives, she liiiives

Here is a list of examples you'd never see on TVTropes.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Nah, you'd see the averted example a lot on TVTropes. Pretty sure waifus would fall under that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

quote:

Actually, regardless of how you do it, furries will eat it up because they're starved for decent media. And being on the outside will probably mean you won't alientate readers who are not of the fandom.

Some notes, though: Furries tend to be very visually-oriented. The preferred style for anthros is Petting Zoo People—that means full fuzzy muzzle face, full fuzzy body, tails if you got'em. I tend to think this is because furries see the human face as too neutral, while animal faces are lively and distinct (yes—despite real animal faces having little expression. The style arose out of cartoon tradition for a reason)

However, if you're aiming for the female side of the fandom (sparse as it may be) then it's probably not quite as necessary, and would lean toward Little Bit Beastly. (Though I doubt they'd begrudge PZP if you're up for that anyway) I've noted that female artists are more often the ones to try for flat-faced or human-faced anthros, but it's by no means exclusive to them.

In terms of things that are NOT visual, furries would like the fuzzy character to be prominent and at least a minimum of attention drawn to his animal qualities. Preferably, he is one of the more active characters (For characterization reasons—nobody likes picking up a book for a specific kind of character only to find out they don't really do much).

If you want fanservice, beware, because that's what usually pulls non-furry readers out of the story. It's certainly possible to have your cake and eat it in this case—only take little bites and have a little bit of tact for goodness sake. Furries writing their own fanservice will tend to outright glorify the anthro body and describe them as invariably attractive with few physical flaws and less physical logic; you needn't be so blatant. But in terms of what furries do like, again, it's the visual—the exotic and weird details are often appreciated, and a ripped sculpted body that somehow shows through two layers of fur doesn't hurt either.*

You might be thinking, "Wait a minute, there's a lot of writers who do that with all their human characters (but without the allergens!)!" Well, you're right. Furry fans are people too. It's just a slightly different set of standards.

Beyond that, do whatever you like. The genre was always meant to be open-ended, so despite what furries do create and consume, there's (hopefully) room for variation.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Djeser posted:

Subverted: my girlfriend is as tall as me
Averted: my girlfriend has no physical dimensions
Deconstructed: my girlfriend is in pieces in a bag in my trunk
Reconstructed: my girlfriend lives, she liiiives

This made me laugh. :D

Creating a humanoid dragon species
Also, just to point out the OP's relationship status: Relationship Status: Above such petty unnecessities
We may have a troper here.

Creating Humanoid dragon race posted:

Okay, so I'm creating a series about a Humanoid Dragon species. So far, they live in clans named after their locations, have territories in the form of hunting grounds, another clan has taken over one clan's hunting grounds and one of the clans is trying to take out the others.
The main characters of the series will be five young members of the species, three males and two females. I already have that they age very slowly, four of the protagonists were asleep (That's how its referred to in-universe, more accurately they were in a coma) for a thousand years and came out only around ten years older in appearance. I can't however, work out anymore about what their biology is like.
He averted token female atleast. :v:
What their biology is like? :confused: Does he want to know how they poop or something?

first helpful response posted:

What does their biology needs to do? That helps.
What do you want them to look like?
Google "half-dragon" for possibilities, or "Dark sun dragon kings" for some variation.
What does biology do?
Be original, just use Google.

OP posted:

Okay, they don't breathe fire or any other substance and they need to be able to navigate different terrains easily. They also need to be able to conserve energy well and be omnivorous while surviving on mostly fish and medium sized mammals. They will need to recover from injuries and sickness quickly.
I envisioned them looking like the characters of Gargoyles at first but as I've been sketching them, they look a little more like elves. I have worked out that they are digitigrade.
Gargoyles! It's like a boomerang, everytime someone throws out the word Gargoyles it always comes back up.

quote:

So, you want lizard people?

OP posted:

More like Elf/Dragon hybrids.

quote:

Well, what input do you desire?
Which dragon tropes are you applying?
I can help, but first what tropes are you applying?

OP posted:

Well.
They are of course Draconic and Winged Humanoids, they have Dragon Hoards, they become stronger as they age to a certain point and have very expressive ears.
Wait a minute, so he wants biology and they have expressive ears? Is this going to end in sex?

smart people posted:

If this is what you want do you really need biological justification for them ?

You have pretty much left the world of normal biology, so I guess I don't really understand what you're asking.It seems you just want anthropomorphic dragons. From a biological standpoint, you'd need absolutely, comically huge chest muscles to get any flight capabilities, at least a ten foot wingspan on them, underdeveloped legs, etc etc etc

Science guy posted:

With regard to the wings and the musculature for them, in all fairness most larger dragons should probably not get off the ground anyway; I've seen their ability to fly explained as a magical (or partly-magical) effect, I believe, which should work here too.

The rest is talk about gliding, like Gargoyles.

edit: Stupid thing was posted before I was done.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 6, 2014

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

news posted:

Massachusetts' highest court ruled Wednesday that it is not illegal to secretly photograph underneath a person's clothing -- a practice known as "upskirting".

Sane person posted:

Yep, sounds like a pretty clear case of a badly written — or just out of date — law.

Raven Wilder posted:

Why should that be illegal? If you're in a public space, you should be able to photograph anything you can see; I don't see why what angle you photograph someone from should be regulated.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Link?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Beep boop I am a person who stands right up against the bathroom stall so I can peer through the opening at the person making GBS threads

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13103447000A18674100&page=3014#75349

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I am genuinely surprised at the tone of that politics thread.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I guarantee that this guy is a libertarian with Asperger's syndrome.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
I think around the time of the first tvtropes thread Raven had a several page argument to the effect that not only was a white person using the word "friend of the family" not racist, but people who got mad at him for it were in fact the real racists. The guy is pretty much "Libertarian with Aspergers" personified.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Clochette posted:

I guarantee that this guy is a libertarian with Asperger's syndrome.

Aren't those synonymous? :rimshot:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SirPhoebos posted:

Hey, now, it's not nice to pick on people who are mentally damaged. Or on the autistic. :v:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

But if someone crouched down real low and looked up someone's skirt, that'd be legal?

:tvtropes:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SirPhoebos posted:

All squares are rectangles, etc.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Someone on TV Tropes is very concerned about how the all-female race in Ocarina of Time reproduce.

Ocarina of Time/Fridge posted:

Fridge Horror: Or is it Fridge Squick? The Gerudo race is comprised solely of females, save a single male born every hundred years. This means that male Gerudo have minimal dating competition, but unless or even if female Gerudo can produce offspring with outsiders, those females are, more often than not, that "lucky" male's sisters.
*The Gossip Stones outright say that the Gerudo go into towns to find "boyfriends," i.e., mates.
*Although there is Fridge Horror to be found there too - Namely, what exactly were they planning to do to those captured carpenters?
*Rape then to death, I supose, but given how the Gerudo look like, those guys would end up thinking they were very, very lucky...

Ocarina of Time/WildMassGuessing posted:

The Gerudo only have one male child every 100 years. In fitting with their overall Amazon theme, they would naturally kidnap men in order to procreate. Makes you have second thoughts about Link's "rescue" mission...although admittedly, the Gerudo would probably would kill them afterwards, just like the original Amazons.
*Well, I think one of the Gossip stones says that the Gerudo go into Hyrule to "get boyfriends"... So this is pretty darn plausible of a WMG...

Ocarina of Time/JustBugsMe posted:

This is being way overthought. The Gossip Stone clearly states that the Gerudo come into town to look for "boyfriends". We have seen the Gerudo abduct and imprison Hylian males. We have been explicitly told that a male birth is exceedingly rare among the Gerudo, but never has it been suggested that any of the Gerudo have extended lifespans, female or Special Male. The simplest answer is that the Gerudo abduct and rape men, give birth to Gerudo daughters, and that is how their society propagates.
Yes. Rape is indeed the simplest explanation for how this race of video game women propogates. Well done.

Also:

Ocarina of Time trope list posted:

Lolicon: An indirect example. There's a couple dancing in Castle Town, and each comments that the other is "handsome like the King of Hyrule" or "prettier than Princess Zelda". You know, the princess who's less than ten years old at that point.

Shotacon: If you knew about Nabooru's "promise".
Because of course that would be in there.

Shwoo fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 10, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
How do Gorons reproduce? Are they like dwarves in that they all have, to us at least, a masculine appearance? Is Darunia a lady? Quick let's write some fanfic about this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shwoo posted:

Someone on TV Tropes is very concerned about how the all-female race in Ocarina of Time reproduce.
There's literally lines in the loving games that say that they go to Hyrule-proper to find boyfriends. This isn't even filling in the blanks with rape. This is erasing, drawing a blank, and then filling it with rape.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Leper Colon V posted:

There's literally lines in the loving games that say that they go to Hyrule-proper to find boyfriends. This isn't even filling in the blanks with rape. This is erasing, drawing a blank, and then filling it with rape.

Add 'actually play the games' to things that Tropers don't do before they start trope pages.

Things Tropers don't do before writing trope pages:
Read the books
Watch the films
Play the games
Stop masturbating

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

They did acknowledge that line, but they treated it like a euphemism because

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shwoo posted:

They did acknowledge that line, but they treated it like a euphemism because

It was obviously Getting Crap Past The Radar, for the adults the game was meant for. :smug:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Leper Colon V posted:

And that the carpenters admit they tried to join the Gerudos because they thought they'd get a life of thievery and hot women fawning over them and the Gerudos were in fact disgusted and pissed off. IT'S ACTUALLY A loving JOKE ABOUT HOW TROPER TYPES REGARD WOMEN-ONLY RACES! But god forbid tropers get jokes....

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Runcible Cat posted:

And that the carpenters admit they tried to join the Gerudos because they thought they'd get a life of thievery and hot women fawning over them and the Gerudos were in fact disgusted and pissed off. IT'S ACTUALLY A loving JOKE ABOUT HOW TROPER TYPES REGARD WOMEN-ONLY RACES! But god forbid tropers get jokes....

B-b-but they have a Crowning Moment of Funny page for it!

(Does anyone else associate 'crowning' with birth in this case? E: those 'Crowning Moment of' pages, I mean.)

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 10, 2014

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

(Does anyone else associate 'crowning' with birth in this case? E: those 'Crowning Moment of' pages, I mean.)

Not in this case, but definitely in the case of the "Awesome Moment of Crowning" trope.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Somfin posted:

Add 'actually play the games' to things that Tropers don't do before they start trope pages.

Things Tropers don't do before writing trope pages:
Read the books
Watch the films
Play the games
Stop masturbating

Never has :tvtropes: been more accurate. Is it me or are tropers really loving preoccupied with non-consensual sex?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Clochette posted:

Never has :tvtropes: been more accurate. Is it me or are tropers really loving preoccupied with non-consensual sex?

The act of sex itself is really far-out to tropers. Some can't fathom how anyone could possibly desire it, some are obsessed with the basic "simplicity" of part touching part = feel good. The idea of sex being wanted or unwanted is just absolutely mindblowing, and with the need to categorize and sort things, they try to break it down and "analyze" it so that they can get it to make sense.

The problem is that like with everything else they "analyze," they don't ever actually get to the step of understanding how or why things work, just isolating the parts. It'd be like taking a clock apart to see how it works, but instead of keeping track of how the pieces fit together in the clock, they just pull it apart all willy nilly and look at all the discrete pieces without bothering to see how they come together to make something that works.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I prefer the metaphor of them stapling a bunch of body parts together, and wondering why their "person" won't move and smells like the Chicago River.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Clochette posted:

Rape is about power and anger, as the old saying goes. I suspect a lot of tropers feel powerless and have a lot of rage seething in their little peanut brains. Plus, they're utterly obsessed with the shallowest forms of fiction, and with being seen as mature, so their brains jump to the concept of rape as a demonstration of what evil is and what evil characters do. It's easier than forming a, you know, character with depth and all.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Regalingualius posted:

Nope, just you.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shwoo posted:

Also:

Lolicon: An indirect example. There's a couple dancing in Castle Town, and each comments that the other is "handsome like the King of Hyrule" or "prettier than Princess Zelda". You know, the princess who's less than ten years old at that point.

hm, yes, of course, telling my wife she's "prettier than this 8 year old royal figure" certainly means that i want to have sex with underaged women and not with my wife!

glad tropers figured that oone out

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

hm, yes, of course, telling my wife she's "prettier than this 8 year old royal figure" certainly means that i want to have sex with underaged women and not with my wife!

glad tropers figured that oone out

What's really telling about this is that someone who edits the Ocarina of Time page on TV Tropes is probably interested in the lore of the games, right? In the second game it was established that every princess of Hyrule was named Zelda, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they're referring to a previous princess, or to Zelda as a symbol of wisdom and beauty rather than an individual.

When I was in 4th grade I was in a program where on Saturdays I took classes at a university, intended for children roughly in my age group. A male professor praised my beauty multiple times in front of the class and at the graduation ceremony. I'm pretty sure that guy wasn't up to anything sketchy, he was just telling a little girl that she was cute. You can consider another person attractive in a completely non-sexual way.

I think tropers have a hierarchy of explaining things. If a needlessly complicated and spergy explanation is available, use that instead of the simple explanation, and if rape or pedophilia is even remotely possible, go with that instead of anything else that would make infinitely more sense.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Clochette posted:

When I was in 4th grade I was in a program where on Saturdays I took classes at a university, intended for children roughly in my age group. A male professor praised my beauty multiple times in front of the class and at the graduation ceremony. I'm pretty sure that guy wasn't up to anything sketchy, he was just telling a little girl that she was cute. You can consider another person attractive in a completely non-sexual way.

TBH while I'm sure he meant well and while it's not like you're bothered, that seems like a pretty lousy thing to do. Not in the 'the guy's a creep' sense, but in the 'a boy would be praised for being smart' sense.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Clochette posted:

I think tropers have a hierarchy of explaining things. If a needlessly complicated and spergy explanation is available, use that instead of the simple explanation, and if rape or pedophilia is even remotely possible, go with that instead of anything else that would make infinitely more sense.
I like a certain media object. It's good because you can't like a bad thing.

I have built a portion of my identity around liking this media object. Because the thing I like is good and not bad, it must be deep and meaningful because I've heard good things are deep and meaningful. Because the thing I like (which is good) is deep and meaningful, there must be a deep and meaningful reason for every element of the media object, regardless of how inane, convoluted, or insane the explanation.

In fact, the more insane the explanation, the better because it means the media object, and by extension, the fragment of my identity that I've built around the media object is deeper and more meaningful. Other people can't understand the level of depth and meaning behind each element of the media object, which is deep and meaningful and good, because they aren't as capable of appreciating good things, which are all deep and meaningful, as I am. This means that I am more good than they are because they are not deep and meaningful, but I am.

I only like good things, thus the thing I like is The Best. Other media objects cannot be as good as The Best.

I am The Best.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 11, 2014

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What's this about "portions" and "fragments" of their identity revolving around a work? A TRUE fan would have it define every aspect of their waking life! (Warning: that link is a potentially :nms: dive into batshit insanity that I happened to see while going through the Bad Webcomics thread in GBS)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Did someone mention Zelda?

Majora's Mask posted:

Shotacon: Anju to Kafei. Tatl even says: "Even though they're lovers, they look just like a mother and child."

Majora's Mask posted:

Moe: Romani, mostly because of her cheerful personality despite her concerns regarding the ghosts that attempt to take away the cows. Her model being based on that of young-age Malon in Ocarina of Time helps as well.

Twilight Princess posted:

Les Yay: Midna and Zelda exchange plenty of meaningful dialogue and looks and are very motivated in helping one another, to the point of Heroic Sacrifice. Midna often gives Zelda a grin. Also a little questionable is that Midna call Zelda 'Twilight Princess' when that's her title. How do you think she could also be called that?

They're in the same scene together like once in the entire game, and they're working together because, you know, the world is being destroyed.

Wind Waker posted:

If you watch PBG's G Files episode on Zelda, near the end, he'll talk about Tingle. In his Majora's Mask incarnation, he's just a kind hearted boy who just so happens to be obessed with fairies and has the mind of a child... But in Wind Waker... Things get scarier... Let me ask you a question... Where do you find the Pictobox? In Tingle's cell. Right! But if Tingle was the one who stole the box, that means he had to have carved that area out... So, what are all of those SKULLS doing there?!? And what about if you visit his island and how Ankle and David Jr. claim that whenever you use the Tingle Tuner, he's nice to them... "So nice!" Have you connected the dots yet? That's right. Not only is the WW incarnation of Tingle a slave driver and abuser, he's also a MASS MURDERER!!! As if Tingle wasn't weird and/or creepy enough!!!

:tinfoil:

Majora's Mask posted:

What Do You Mean, It's for Kids?: Let's see... druggy and nightmarish visuals and cinematography; death and hopelessness permeates every quest and every second of gameplay; has some of the most legitimately frightening moments in Zelda history... and that's just the first hour. If the game were released today it'd be an E10+ at least.

IT'S NOT A KIDS GAME MOM ITS OBVIOUSLY ONLY FOR MATURE TEN YEAR OLDS OKAY

• Locked thread