Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Fwiw one of those Polygon posts said they started it on PC and then ported it to 360/PS3/XB1/PS4 rather than the opposite, which they usually do.

Yeah but thats irrelevant. They just delay it to delay it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

This article really helps to hype it, what with the stalking the random guy due to his behaviour and the stuff about profiles indicating grenade survival when hacked.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

First half of the gif is what the game currently looks like on the PS4. Second half (the better-looking one) is the same section when it was demoed all the way back at E3, allegedly also on PS4.

Ubisoft's MO must be "imitate gaming as it was in 2008".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Honestly aside from the more obvious light cone from the chopper those look pretty close to me. The weird way the bridge flashes looks like it's part of the UI identifying it as hackable.

AwkwardKnob posted:

...now I'm left idling wondering how this is going to fare on Xbox One.

Same as every other cross-platform game- worse than the PS4, better than the last-gen consoles.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Looks fine in the gameplay from http://www.everyeye.it/ps4/articoli/watch-dogs_hands-on_21862 where that badly done gif was taken from the worst looking moments of.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Chalets the Baka posted:

First half of the gif is what the game currently looks like on the PS4. Second half (the better-looking one) is the same section when it was demoed all the way back at E3, allegedly also on PS4.

Wasn't the E4 showing being done on a PC?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Chalets the Baka posted:

Hahaha, oh jesus thats bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It looks like they turned shadows off.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Two huge differences from that Italian gameplay:

1) The world is partly cloudy and sunny, which makes the game look a lot brighter. I doubt that's a stylistic change overall, just a different weather setting. Chicago actually does have sun.

2) They are highlighting many more of the objects in the game world, and the bridge flashing is obviously affected by that, as it is hackable. Hopefully they tweak that, because it does look ugly in that situation. Perhaps you can tweak this in general.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

-Dethstryk- posted:

Two huge differences from that Italian gameplay:

1) The world is partly cloudy and sunny, which makes the game look a lot brighter. I doubt that's a stylistic change overall, just a different weather setting. Chicago actually does have sun.

Or the time of day for the mission isn't locked, I suppose.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

MrLonghair posted:

Looks fine in the gameplay from http://www.everyeye.it/ps4/articoli/watch-dogs_hands-on_21862 where that badly done gif was taken from the worst looking moments of.

Thanks for posting this. It clearly looks much better than that gif clip makes it out to.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

It looks more like GTA IV and less like GTA:SA, so that's an improvement I guess?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Judging from the video I quite like the look to be honest, though I agree on the flashing bridge thing being pretty dumb.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Chalets the Baka posted:

Well, no, the second half of that statement is wrong. According to Eurogamer and others, it was demoed on a 680, which, old as the card is, is still considerably more powerful than a PS4.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I played a PS4 build of this in September that looked like the better footage in that gif. What happened. :(

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I played a PS4 build of this in September that looked like the better footage in that gif. What happened. :(

Someone cherry picked the worst part of a video. Someone posted a link with the video that the gif was taken from and it looks much better in the video.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

KoB posted:

Yeah but thats irrelevant. They just delay it to delay it.
This article says the PC version is releasing the same day as 360/Bone/PS3/PS4. Of course, Ubi could change their minds.

Edit: And this one.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So wait, this entire time the game's been a GTA clone? Jesus how loving boring

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Man, that's a lot of shooting... I'm starting to get worried that a Person of Interest "All kneecaps, all the time!" run might not be possible after all :ohdear:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

A big flaming stink posted:

I mean it's always been a near future open world game so I don't know what you expected.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean it's always been a near future open world game so I don't know what you expected.

I was hoping for something like Assassin's creed with good combat but I guess that's kind of a dumb hope to have when it comes to Ubisoft.

edit: specifically hoping for a more freeform movement than "Go here, drive car there, shoot people, drive car back, occasionally avoid police"

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 6, 2014

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

To be fair, they've always bigged up the driving, gun play and open city nature of the game, with the September videos, etc. It's not like they've been trying to hide this stuff.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Man, that's a lot of shooting... I'm starting to get worried that a Person of Interest "All kneecaps, all the time!" run might not be possible after all :ohdear:

I'm fairly certain that's just because a quick shot of shooting somebody looks more dynamic in a trailer than "slowly make your way through a facility distracting enemies and shutting down security systems". The really cool stuff just doesn't play well in a two minute advertising video.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm fairly certain that's just because a quick shot of shooting somebody looks more dynamic in a trailer than "slowly make your way through a facility distracting enemies and shutting down security systems". The really cool stuff just doesn't play well in a two minute advertising video.

I'd be incredibly surprised if you could run through this game completely non-lethally. I feel like they would have been touting it as a major feature if it were possible.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I'd be incredibly surprised if you could run through this game completely non-lethally. I feel like they would have been touting it as a major feature if it were possible.

There are definitely missions where you can be stealthy but you're still knocking people out and killing a small number at the end.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Rather than being able to complete the game without killing, I'm hoping that there are ways to complete every mission where you can kill everyone with hacked devices. :black101:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Have they released the official requirements yet? At the moment I am running a R9 290X card, with a Core2Duo 3.5ghz .. I know its old and I will probably go to new CPU sometime by the summer, but in the meantime I wonder if it will run well on my PC with 8Gbs of RAM. The "released" requirements from October was like 4 cores and up only .. but someone at Ubi said that's not right - but now with a PC release date has that been updated/changed at all?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

JohnSherman posted:

Rather than being able to complete the game without killing, I'm hoping that there are ways to complete every mission where you can kill everyone with hacked devices. :black101:

I wish. You ever see Ghost in the Machine (1993)? Don't bother unless you like watching terrible movies like me BUT there's a part where somehow the internet dude inhabits a hot air dryer in a public bathroom. So that when someone pressed the button to dry their hands THE ENTIRE THING EXPLODES IN A HUGE BALL OF FIRE.

THE INTERNET!

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Neo Rasa posted:

There are definitely missions where you can be stealthy but you're still knocking people out and killing a small number at the end.

From the videos so far this seems to be the case. I'm fine with the game not facilitating a complete non-lethal approach, playing one guy vs everyone makes me think that yeah you don't want to kill everyone who gets in your way but sometimes it's just unavoidable of you're going to achieve your goal. I'll probably play it by only killing if I have to but avoiding it where possible.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JohnSherman posted:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

I really miss the Weekly World News. I wonder if Bat Boy ever escaped the CIA and lived happily ever after.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'm leaning toward making this my next purchase after TitanFall after doing some research on it, mainly because I have a $20 Best Buy certificate to use by May, the final release date is good timing, and there's nothing else I really want in the near future (I'm sure the XBO versions of NFS: Rivals and Tomb Raider will go on sale sooner rather than later). The gameplay I've seen so far does make it look like how much Ubisoft wants its own version of GTA though, and the fact that it's going to have six different versions is a bit of a turn-off too. How does the Special Edition of the game NOT have a map of Chicago, but the Standard version does? What?

I just hope the pre-order content gets patched in later or is available for download later on like it's been done for a few games.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The majority of those aren't available in the US. The reason they have so many is so they can promise each European retailer their own special edition, and they always have their own Ubishop version.

Only the Standard and Limited are available here.

Ubisoft always releases their preorder content later.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Aphrodite posted:

The majority of those aren't available in the US. The reason they have so many is so they can promise each European retailer their own special edition, and they always have their own Ubishop version.

Only the Standard and Limited are available here.

Ubisoft always releases their preorder content later.

Oh, OK. Thanks for clearing that up since that chart wasn't clear. How much later do they typically release their pre-order content or does it vary?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

AwkwardKnob posted:

Agreed, because repetition is basically what killed the immersive atmosphere they were going for back then. It was cool the first dozen times until you noticed you were repeating the same 3 scenarios over and over. That kind of thing isn't always obvious when games journalists are doing preview articles. I'm really heartened by this news.

...now I'm left idling wondering how this is going to fare on Xbox One. I don't know why I'm still holding out hope that console will eventually be worth purchasing. This will really be best on the PC, won't it?

Or PS4 since you'll get extra content.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Or PS4 since you'll get extra content.

Console-exclusive content is never worth it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hakkesshu posted:

Console-exclusive content is never worth it.

Arkham Asylum disagrees with you.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fuzz posted:

Arkham Asylum disagrees with you.

You mean that one Joker skin/map? gently caress no.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Chalets the Baka posted:

Oh look. It looks like Sleeping Dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Hakkesshu posted:

You mean that one Joker skin/map? gently caress no.

It was a few maps and not a skin, he had his own gadgets and such. That said Ubisoft's track record is pretty bad, the Avellone DLC for AC4 was garbage.

• Locked thread