Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

revmoo posted:

This effect is magnified quite a bit when you own a BMW. Blower motor is somewhere around 1500 at the dealer, I replaced it for like a hundred bucks.

Yeah, same with the F150 heater core. $50 bucks and about an hour.

One thing that Ford engineers got right (until 1997).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, same with the F150 heater core. $50 bucks and about an hour.

One thing that Ford engineers got right (until 1997).

Now it requires draining the air conditioning.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

From one of the Facebook groups I joined:

"Thanks to all the people trying to help me with my Holley carby I got a chance to work on it again, I pulled off the bowl and this is what I found."

:stare: How the gently caress?

E: Fixed the image.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've never understood carbs. Less so, now.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

H1KE posted:

"Thanks to all the people trying to help me with my Holley carby I got a chance to work on it again, I pulled off the bowl and this is what I found."

Previous owner had issues with a leaky/sinky carb float, so they loving shimmed it with a few pieces of wood.

...I just...bu...:psyboom:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Larrymer posted:

I've never understood carbs. Less so, now.

I'm pretty sure that's not a carb but a busted toaster.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

H1KE posted:

When Jim-Bob heard about how dem boys down the hollar were a'runnin their trucks on wood, he figured he could make his run on wood, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boat posted:

Previous owner had issues with a leaky/sinky carb float, so they loving shimmed it with a few pieces of wood.

...I just...bu...:psyboom:

Pretty genius if you ask me. Wood floats!

I wonder how long it took to get the perfect size piece of wood in there.

Last time I had a leaky float and was consigned to roadside repairs I extracted the float, let it drain, and sealed the seam with some duct tape. It got me home!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I thought that was some sort of sedimentary rock formed by unfiltered tank rust.

Wood to float the float?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I actually saw this article last night on Popular Mechanics about 20 ways you can do homebrew lovely repairs. #1 is replacing a carburetor float with a ballpoint pen.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/4337825

#2 is clearing sulfates in a car battery with a DC stick welder.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
That carb fix was loving genius. What an awesome way to save $8 in parts by spending the entire day messing with a stick of wood and getting covered in gas.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

I've learned something today. Carbs are just like toilets. If it runs all the time and leaks a bit, throw something in there to make it stop. Also, fiddle with that screw-thing a few times, and if you completely screw things up, you can always throw :10bux: at some plastic replacement that won't work very well or last forever, but who cares - let the next guy deal with it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Is that a piece of driftwood? lmao.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
One of the eleven huge dams on the Columbia River was discovered to have a 2 inch wide, 65 foot long crack in one of the twelve spillway monoliths. So how was this crack found?
An engineer noticed that the road surface on top of the dam was bowing. :stare:

Have some pictures! The dam itself:

The monolith in question:

Top of the dam: (Note not just the circled bit, also look at the curb stones on the other side of the road)

Another view:

An immediate measure taken was to lower the reservoir level 21-26 feet. With the reduced water pressure, the crack has gone from 2 inches wide to 1 inch wide. :stonk:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, gently caress. There goes the duct tape budget for the year.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Oh I forgot to mention: The dam is not owned by a federal entity. It wholly owned by Grant County P.U.D. I can't wait to see how they are going to pay for this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Oh I forgot to mention: The dam is not owned by a federal entity. It wholly owned by Grant County P.U.D. I can't wait to see how they are going to pay for this.

Dump a bunch of logs in the reservoir, seed it with beavers.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

TotalLossBrain posted:

One of the eleven huge dams on the Columbia River was discovered to have a 2 inch wide, 65 foot long crack in one of the twelve spillway monoliths.

Is it a God Dam? :thumbsup:

In other news, i have a project manager that refuses to fill out forms.

:eng101: This provisioning request requires you to fill out this form for the SAN guys.
:ironicat: I've never had to fill out a form before.
:eng101: you do now, because you guys never provide all the information to them on the first pass. Just fill out the form.
:ironicat: I don't know how to fill out this form, you need to do it.
:eng101: The form is just all the information you used to email the SAN guys. How many fiber ports you need, which rack it goes to, and the name of the server.
:ironicat: You need to do it because I don't know how.

:sotw:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Let me guess, he's an enormous prick when it comes to following his rules too, right?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

One of the eleven huge dams on the Columbia River was discovered to have a 2 inch wide, 65 foot long crack in one of the twelve spillway monoliths. So how was this crack found?
An engineer noticed that the road surface on top of the dam was bowing. :stare:

Have some pictures! The dam itself:

The monolith in question:

Top of the dam: (Note not just the circled bit, also look at the curb stones on the other side of the road)

Another view:

An immediate measure taken was to lower the reservoir level 21-26 feet. With the reduced water pressure, the crack has gone from 2 inches wide to 1 inch wide. :stonk:

Sorry I peed in Columbia Lake this summer this is all my fault

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

TotalLossBrain posted:

I live in this area. I can tell you that the PUDs around here that own/operate dams are really really really rich.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I wish the people that owned dams on the San Marcos River maintained them instead of letting them collapse and create drowning traps.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Citycop posted:

That carb fix was loving genius. What an awesome way to save $8 in parts by spending the entire day messing with a stick of wood and getting covered in gas.
Well when you live in Alabama and there's no retail outlets or infrastructure to transport retail items around nor communications system to support mail order parts supply, it makes sense? I guess?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Well when you live in Alabama and there's no retail outlets or infrastructure to transport retail items around nor communications system to support mail order parts supply, it makes sense? I guess?

How far away from the nearest town can you really be? The entire state is under 200 miles from east to west. Obviously most of the towns will be super tiny but 'ol Bert down at the garage will certainly have something in the back yard that could be used to fix 'er up.

I'd guess that whenever the float failed it was the closest thing to a functioning vehicle Mr. Redneck owned, which meant driving to town for parts was out of the question. And once he fixed it and it seemed to run okay, saw no reason to ever revisit the issue.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So how do you fix a crack in a dam like that? I can't imagine that just squirting it full of concrete will fix anything. Is it even possible to repair? Wouldn't you have to drain the entire reservoir and inspect the whole thing somehow?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

So how do you fix a crack in a dam like that? I can't imagine that just squirting it full of concrete will fix anything. Is it even possible to repair? Wouldn't you have to drain the entire reservoir and inspect the whole thing somehow?

Well, this is what they can afford:

I would assume they build another mini-dam around it and then somehow pump out the water that was trapped by the mini-dam, then fix it in relative dryness though. At least that's what they do for sewers, they have little inflatable walls that take care of it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Underwater welding. With concrete.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I think they actually use an engineering thing called a Caisson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caisson_(engineering)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

TotalLossBrain posted:

Obviously wait for it to let go, and then declare state of disaster, and get funding from the sweet ample bosom of the federal gubnmint

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As someone searching for parts for a Holley 3367, I've learned that Alabama is actually the Mecca for old Holleys.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Obviously wait for it to let go, and then declare state of disaster, and get funding from the sweet ample bosom of the federal gubnmint

All for the low low price of some random inspection official's job who gets shitcanned as a scapegoat.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Well, there is an additional complication - a bit of an incentive to get this worked out at a federal level ASAP. The Hanford Nuclear Reservation is about 70 river miles downstream, luckily with one more dam in between. That site was responsible for all plutonium production in the Cold War with fourteen reactors since 1944. Only one of those reactors ever produced power. The rest just heated up river water in single pass cooling (during the heyday of production, over 14,000 curies of activity was released into the river daily) to get uranium converted to Pu just as quickly as possible. It wasn't unusual for the cladding on the fuel rods to have problems. As a consequence, there are tons of deposits of heavy metals and radioactive fission byproducts buried in the river bed. This isn't typically a problem, as the river bed is stable as long as nothing disturbs it. Something like, say, suddenly increased flows.
The site also contains over 150 underground tanks with 55 million gallons of highly radioactive waste from fuel processing, some of which are known to have leaked. Some of those underground plumes have gotten very close to the river.

I guess what I am saying with all that is there are plenty of good reasons to fix this ASAP. Irrigation and flood control are probably low on the list.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well, there is an additional complication - a bit of an incentive to get this worked out at a federal level ASAP. The Hanford Nuclear Reservation is about 70 river miles downstream, luckily with one more dam in between. That site was responsible for all plutonium production in the Cold War with fourteen reactors since 1944. Only one of those reactors ever produced power. The rest just heated up river water in single pass cooling (during the heyday of production, over 14,000 curies of activity was released into the river daily) to get uranium converted to Pu just as quickly as possible. It wasn't unusual for the cladding on the fuel rods to have problems. As a consequence, there are tons of deposits of heavy metals and radioactive fission byproducts buried in the river bed. This isn't typically a problem, as the river bed is stable as long as nothing disturbs it. Something like, say, suddenly increased flows.
The site also contains over 150 underground tanks with 55 million gallons of highly radioactive waste from fuel processing, some of which are known to have leaked. Some of those underground plumes have gotten very close to the river.

I guess what I am saying with all that is there are plenty of good reasons to fix this ASAP. Irrigation and flood control are probably low on the list.

I live near here, and I still think Edward Abbey has the right idea concerning dams.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm in Richland, myself. I worked at Hanford Tank Farms for a few years, then on the Vitrification Plant for another few (what a clusterfuck of messed up engineering and spending of federal dollars), now at the National Lab.

For an area that was built and continues to live on federal spending, the people sure like their Tea Party.

Sorry for the derail. Another interesting horrible (chemical?) failure is one of the underground nuclear waste tanks. In the 80's, it was found to be boiling. The waste sludge was so radioactive that it self-heated to the point of boiling. It was pumped out a few years ago and filled with grout.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Spotted at the yards.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Saw this on the side of the highway this morning. It didn't appear as though there was an impact of any kind.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The truck impacted the ground...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cursedshitbox posted:

Spotted at the yards.

Don't a lot of yards punch holes like that to drain fluids rather than go through the hassle of removing a drain plug or cover?

E:\/You're right, I didn't look at it all that closely.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 7, 2014

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Don't a lot of yards punch holes like that to drain fluids rather than go through the hassle of removing a drain plug or cover?

That hole was made from the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

lazer_chicken posted:

Saw this on the side of the highway this morning. It didn't appear as though there was an impact of any kind.

Some poo poo definitely impacted some cotton.

What the gently caress happened there :stare:

e: the logo kind of fits. :haw: