Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Terrible Robot posted:

Based on how much their most recent ads have missed the mark I'm betting it will have a bunch of fedora wearing bronies or something.

They'll just show some dude in a jean jacket jerking off in front of an American flag for 57 seconds and then cut to the car for 3 seconds as the money shot.

...wait that might go accidentally viral, never mind. Just license george straight and a shuttle launch clip or something where's my check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Throatwarbler posted:

Oh the BMW Rondo has been officially released.

I like it. Then again, I also really like the Mercedes B250.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

I guess I'm just not the target market because the ELR does nothing different than the Volt, which is a hybrid Cruze. It's literally Cimarron 2.0. Luckily they do have a few other things that are more interesting, like the new S-class competitor and maybe a CTS-V.

Building Yet Another Luxury Sport Coupe/Sedan and Yet Another Luxury Land Barge is anything but interesting. Mercedes's product lineup borders on self-parody because they've covered all the bases three times over and are looking for any hypothetical gaps to cover with half a dozen engine options for good measure. You know, just in case someone likes the S class but wants passengers to look less dignified getting in and out of the back seat. Like whoever drives Paris Hilton around.

The ELR carries over its platform and drivetrain from the Volt. That's not badge engineering any more than the Audi TT is a badge engineered Volkswagen Touran. It's got completely different sheetmetal and a completely different interior with the similarities in the overall shape coming from aerodynamic necessity. The reviews seem to dance around the fact that the drivetrain's total power output has been increased from about 150 to 210 horsepower by mentioning that the motor alone went up only a couple. That compares favorably to a diesel A3 or CLA and hybrid torque curves are very much like diesels. But the automotive press wants to write about the usual suspects while fawning over every single pro forma lap done around the Nurburgring for the marketing department so they call it Cimarron.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Volt is already considerably more expensive than a diesel A3 or CLA. The ELR will be noticeably higher. Those are also Audi/Merc's entry cars, while the ELR is supposed to be much higher end. That is not at all a flattering comparison.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Xguard86 posted:

They'll just show some dude in a jean jacket jerking off in front of an American flag for 57 seconds and then cut to the car for 3 seconds as the money shot.

...wait that might go accidentally viral, never mind. Just license george straight and a shuttle launch clip or something where's my check?

The past few years haven't been good for America.

("Stars and Stripes" plays in the background, scratchy, dissonant, as if on an ancient record player)
(The camera pans over a black-and-white Cash for Clunkers junkyard, its flanks swollen with Chevrolet SUVs)

There've been recessions, unrest, unpleasantness. You might've lost your jobs. Your neighbors and you are poorer than ever before.

Some say we reaped what we had sown; that wage deflation and market worship are the logical conclusions of a poisonous worldview that has crippled us in the face of the strongest foreign competition in history.

(music swells, changes smoothly into a dubstep remix of Born In The USA)
(smash cut to the Z/28 sitting in shadow in front of a teen pregnancy clinic, its sharp Australian lines illuminated by the harsh glow of the throbbing neon signs from the liquor store across the block)

But here at Chevy, we say different. The Camaro Z/28. It's $65k now, or you can visit a trailer park in four weeks and get it for $38k.

(remaining 20 seconds of commercial are a burnout until the tires explode)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 5, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

("Stars and Stripes" plays in the background, scratchy, dissonant, as if on an ancient record player)
(The camera pans over a black-and-white Cash for Clunkers junkyard, its flanks swollen with Chevrolet SUVs)

There've been recessions, unrest, unpleasantness. You might've lost your jobs. Your neighbors and you are poorer than ever before.

Some say we reaped what we had sown; that wage deflation and market worship are the logical conclusions of a poisonous worldview that has crippled us in the face of the strongest foreign competition in history.

(smash cut to the Z/28 sitting in shadow in front of a teen pregnancy clinic, its sharp Australian lines illuminated by the harsh glow of the throbbing neon signs from the liquor store across the block)

But here at Chevy, we say different. The Camaro Z/28. It's $65k now, or you can visit a trailer park in four weeks and get it for $38k.

Commercial of the year.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

...a burnout until the tires explode)

The all new Camaro. Look for it on the next season of Operation Repo!

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 5, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

In other news, the Flowtie(tm). One of the reasons why the new Z/28 costs $75k.

Regardless of effectivity or cost or whatever, making the bowtie outline-only makes it look about 400% less trashy. The gold bowtie is gaudy as hell.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

and they could resell the first half as the intro Movie to the next FallOut game. alternate revenue streams!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

and they could resell the first half as the intro Movie to the next FallOut game. alternate revenue streams!

Torque

Torque never changes

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I'm not putting my lips on that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Snowdens Secret posted:

Torque

Torque never changes

Speaking of which, a couple weeks ago I was at the gym and the movie Torque was on one of the TVs. How the gently caress did that movie get made? It was so bad, so unbelievably terrible that I don't understand why/how it was released.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Midniter posted:

Speaking of which, a couple weeks ago I was at the gym and the movie Torque was on one of the TVs. How the gently caress did that movie get made? It was so bad, so unbelievably terrible that I don't understand why/how it was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPWoz7WTmjU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ill watch Torque whenever I see it on, unfortunately I never see it on.

Its bad, but its an entertaining bad.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo. Watching that tells me that the movie I saw part of was not actually Torque, it was Biker Boyz (with a Z!). Looks like they came out a year apart and I conflated the two in my mind. They both hold sterling 23% ratings on Rotten Tomatoes, so I guess I'm not missing much.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You should absolutely watch Torque for the legendary Pepsi vs Mountain Dew showdown.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Torque was intended as a Airplane / Naked Gun style obvious parody but it apparently got toned down by the marketers

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Torque and Biker Boyz just run together in my head. At least you didn't have to worry about parking lot carnage after them like Fast and Furious movies, that was the only redeeming thing about them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Torque is basically a Bollywood action movie made by squids.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's been in several news outlets already, but VW is finally being sensible and considering bringing a half-ton truck to the US market.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/05/vw-amarok-pickup-may-come-to-us/

quote:

"It's a question mark, but it starts to be discussed. Let's put it this way: we start to discuss it again and whether it's attractive for us." But those talks may not be about the current truck – "The Amarok is too small for the US," says Horn. Dr. Heinz-Jakob Neußer, head of VW Group powertrain development, echoed his colleague's sentiment at the same Geneva Motor Show roundtable, saying "We are just reworking our truck strategy, and this is part of thinking about it. But the Amarok fits not very well to the efforts of the market."

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Is Biker Boyz the one with Lawrence Fishburne where they race 0-200 on a dirt road at the end?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

It's been in several news outlets already, but VW is finally being sensible and considering bringing a half-ton truck to the US market.

Considering VW USA's amazing management, The base model is going to be 45 grand, and have leather seats.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Powershift posted:

Considering VW USA's amazing management, The base model is going to be 45 grand, and have leather seats.

Yeah, the big knock on VWGoA's management has been that they are making too much premium stuff - wait, what?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Homer: "Think about the real victims: Calvin Kline, Gloria Vanderbilt, and Antoine Bugleboy -- people who saw an overcrowded market and said, 'Me, too!'"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I thought it was interesting that the current Amarok already uses the ZF 8HP, and that VW thinks it's good enough that it doesn't need a low range transfer case.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-reviews-road-tests/vw_amarok_8_speed_auto_first_drive_review

quote:

The big news is it now has an eight-speed automatic - borrowed from the Audi A8 flagship saloon - to further cut running costs, improve on and off-road ability, and keep the vehicle’s weight down.
Volkswagen engineer Kristian Wohler says the ZF gearbox has a low first gear for off-road work and a spread of ratios through to a tall eighth gear for highway cruising.
“We don’t need a low-range gearbox in this model," he says. “Most owners rarely use the low-range gearbox. So we save weight. But the vehicle is just as capable because of the wide gear spread and the lockable differential."
The automatic Amarok 4Motion gets to Australia in July, along with a single-cab version of the ute. Volkswagen Australia spokesman Karl Gehling says the automatic will come only on the top-range version of the Amarok dual-cab. But it may be extended into other models later.
“From a competitive point of view, we see the automatic Amarok as unique," he says. “It doesn’t need a low-range transmission so is lighter and more fuel efficient and cheaper that one with that equipment. The engine is also more powerful with 420Nm, up from 400Nm in the current model."
The automatic Amarok doesn’t share the Touareg’s Aisin eight-speed automatic gearbox. Mr Wohler says the ZF was a more modern transmission than the Aisin, so was chosen first. Asked if the ZF would replace the Aisin in the Touareg, he says he couldn’t comment.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

Not really sure what's sensible about trying to break into the half ton market. The big 3 dominate it and that's not going to change with some crazy expensive offering from vw.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, the big knock on VWGoA's management has been that they are making too much premium stuff - wait, what?

The big knock is their complete inability to read the market. The $21k gap between the tiguan and touareg is an example.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powershift posted:

The big knock is their complete inability to read the market. The $21k gap between the tiguan and touareg is an example.

They also have a platform to fill that gap (Audi Q5) but havent made a VW version. The Toureg is a legit luxury SUV though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

fknlo posted:

Not really sure what's sensible about trying to break into the half ton market. The big 3 dominate it and that's not going to change with some crazy expensive offering from vw.

I thought they were talking about going up against the new Colorado, not the full-size 'half-ton' trucks.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Whatever happened to that promised Alfa Romeo revival? Weren't Alfas supposed to come stateside around 2013-2014 with the introduction of the 4C and a sedan that would compete with the 3-Series/A4/C-class?

Actually, why haven't we been able to get Alfas in North America anyway? A friend of mine in Europe told me the brand was all but dead. What went wrong? I got interested in Alfas around early 2000 when I saw the Brera and thought it looked incredible. Supposedly the Brera isn't even the *good* Alfa and they had an even bigger heydey before that. Which models were those?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Kraftwerk posted:

Whatever happened to that promised Alfa Romeo revival? Weren't Alfas supposed to come stateside around 2013-2014 with the introduction of the 4C and a sedan that would compete with the 3-Series/A4/C-class?

Actually, why haven't we been able to get Alfas in North America anyway? A friend of mine in Europe told me the brand was all but dead. What went wrong? I got interested in Alfas around early 2000 when I saw the Brera and thought it looked incredible. Supposedly the Brera isn't even the *good* Alfa and they had an even bigger heydey before that. Which models were those?

Alfa has been threatening the US with bringing it's famous Italian reliability back since probably 2000, it just hasn't materialized into anything significant with the actual brand (one or two platforms have made it over, but obviously not as Alfas). Kinda in the same manner that half of us were expecting to be driving Puntos and Pandas by now, but instead Fiat is playing the niche car brand ala BMW's Mini. Then again, even on their international site there is like 5 or 6 different 500s...

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Snowdens Secret posted:

I thought they were talking about going up against the new Colorado, not the full-size 'half-ton' trucks.

The guys said the Amarok was too small, and the Amarok is the same size as the Colorado, so.

I am desperately hoping for an Audi truck. Judging by the way they've segmented their sedans (4 door A4, 2 door A5, 4 door A5, 4 door A6, 4 door A7) I am expecting at least 8 different bed lengths, 5 different cab configurations and 16 different rear axle ratios.

Kraftwerk posted:

The European economy and all car development that wasn't specifically for the Chinese market stopped cold 2 years ago.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

The guys said the Amarok was too small, and the Amarok is the same size as the Colorado, so.

I am desperately hoping for an Audi truck. Judging by the way they've segmented their sedans (4 door A4, 2 door A5, 4 door A5, 4 door A6, 4 door A7) I am expecting at least 8 different bed lengths, 5 different cab configurations and 16 different rear axle ratios.

The European economy and all car development that wasn't specifically for the Chinese market stopped cold 2 years ago.

Well, they said the Amarok was too small to compete in the half-ton market and thats why they're not bringing them over, but now its implied that they're watching the sales of the Colorado and similar smaller trucks since if people buy a Tacoma that costs almost as much as a F150 they might buy an Amarok too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

And being a german luxury brand, i would expect the crew cab to be $40k, and the regular cab to be $55k.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cream_Filling posted:

Well, they said the Amarok was too small to compete in the half-ton market and thats why they're not bringing them over, but now its implied that they're watching the sales of the Colorado and similar smaller trucks since if people buy a Tacoma that costs almost as much as a F150 they might buy an Amarok too.

Yeah but the Tacoma literally has a cult following from the days of the Hilux. VW doesn't have that kind of brand loyalty in the truck world.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fucknag posted:

Yeah but the Tacoma literally has a cult following from the days of the Hilux. VW doesn't have that kind of brand loyalty in the truck world.

I think they might be banking on their own weird brand loyalists who kept buyign Jettas even during their one coil pack a week days. The same reason they make a rebadged dodge caravan. Which is kind of nuts but, well, they're obsessed with sales volume I guess.

Either that or they want more stuff to build in US plants.

also from like 3 years ago:

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 7, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Fucknag posted:

Cult following?

That is a compact truck. The Colorado (and whatever potential Amarok development) are already bigger than a 'half-ton' of that vintage.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Is 2015 the year of the ute in NA?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Cream_Filling posted:

Is 2015 the year of the ute in NA?

If it is, it's also gonna be the year of Linux on the Desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cream_Filling posted:

If they are aiming for the mid size market they might have a little success. Probably offering a diesel would have been a good way to enter the market a few years ago. Now it won't be a big deal since the Colorado is getting one and you can also get one in the ram 1500. I think that's the one thing that would have made the amarok stand out but they pissed away that opportunity.