Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Maarek posted:

Dust2 is so popular because of all the decent maps that are played competitively it requires the least communication and teamwork. Most people don't CS play in organized groups and dust2 is by far the easiest map to play with 5 random shooters on a team.
Yes, but not because it's not a tactical map, it's because it's so commonly played that everyone knows the tactics. It might seem like I'm splitting hairs, but it's a very big difference. Dust2 is, in many opinions, the perfect competitive FPS map, and it's certainly not because "you don't need teamwork".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Coleman posted:

Dust2 is, in many opinions, the perfect competitive FPS map

Oh god no. :ohdear:

Aztec is entirely under-rated for no good reason.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Coleman posted:

Dust2 is, in many opinions, the perfect competitive FPS map.

Much like Team Fortress 2's "2fort."

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Ernie. posted:

Everyone point and laugh at this post

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Ernie. posted:

Oh god no. :ohdear:

Hahahaha

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Dvsilverwing posted:

It was defensive, it was a decent spot to play as a CT because you could occasionally get a kill or two through it, especially if you're using the M4A1-S. Lets see if they can make a T sided map even more T sided.

They HAVE to be loving poo poo up on purpose at this point, I think they continually gently caress poo poo up in CS:GO so that people that don't own CS:S will buy it to play when they get fed up with CS:GO and it being ruined. That's why CS:GO is only $14.99 but CS:S is still $19.99. It's a god damned conspiracy, and we're getting the shaft.

No, you aren't. If a single box adjustment has ruined your gameplay experience then you have other issues outside of the minutia of dust2.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Round 23 Eco Ace

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Sylink posted:

No, you aren't. If a single box adjustment has ruined your gameplay experience then you have other issues outside of the minutia of dust2.

Plus if you're relying on that spot to hold catwalk you're not holding catwalk.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Ernie. posted:

gently caress the haters, aztec has been my favorite map since forever. Still is.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Coleman posted:

Yes, but not because it's not a tactical map, it's because it's so commonly played that everyone knows the tactics. It might seem like I'm splitting hairs, but it's a very big difference. Dust2 is, in many opinions, the perfect competitive FPS map, and it's certainly not because "you don't need teamwork".

I have not played CS for 10 year, and I just take your honor that you are correct on some deeper level of understanding.

I apologize for my english is bad so here is point:

5 man "team" of players who play regularly with each other, practice strategy, gotten big advantage on map like Nuke or Train.

This advantage may be there in dust2 but it is less many.

That mean = more teamwork and strategy game of map with "Train" or "Nuke." You are making weird philosophy point that don't make sense.

In professional game that new teams, teams where everyone speak different language prefer dust2 over Nuke or Train when against established team. Because doesn't matter.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
What did I just read?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dust2 is for League of Nations style pugs whereas Nuke (the map where the radiation gives you daredevil super hearing) or Train (I personally loving love train) are for Sacred Band sweat lodge types of teams.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

40 OZ posted:

I have not played CS for 10 year, and I just take your honor that you are correct on some deeper level of understanding.

5 man "team" of players who play regularly with each other, practice strategy, gotten big advantage on map like Nuke or Train.

That mean = more teamwork and strategy game of map with "Train" or "Nuke." You are making weird philosophy point that don't make sense.

In professional game that new teams, teams where everyone speak different language prefer dust2 over Nuke or Train when against established team. Because doesn't matter.
I think I understand what you're saying.

What I believe you're saying is coordinated teams have more of an advantage on train or nuke than they do on dust2 in comparison to pugs, mixes or gathers.

In a sense, you're correct. A coordinated team will be better on nuke than a pub team will because the terrorist side of nuke requires a lot of coordination to execute correctly.

You are wrong, however, in assuming that a coordinated team is EQUAL to a pug team on a map such as dust2. A coordinated team will still perform better on dust2 than a pug team will, because the tactics that good unified teams have is still going to be useful on dust2. Yes, maps scale in difficulty, of course they do. And YES, because dust2 is played so often, dust2 is at the bottom of that difficulty scale. Everyone that plays dust2 knows where to go, knows how to go there, and some very rudimentary tactics and strats. That does not however mean that it's not a tactical or strategic map, because it is.

In many ways, the standard CT layout of dust2 boils down to 4 areas that have only one defender. One B player, one mid player, one guy on short, one guy at long, and a "swing man" on A site. This means that on an uncoordinated team, "lone wolf" players, players that don't speak the same language as the rest of the team or whatever else can go wherever they want on the map and (generally speaking) only have to deal with a 1 on 1 situation.

On other maps, however, most spots are defended by at least two players. On nuke there will be two ramp room, there will be one designated rafter player, and one designated outside, and the remaining guy plays a swing spot on the floor at main allowing him to (very quickly) backup a player outside or upper. Train is played largely the same, with CT positions that have a lot of overlap, this is also why those maps are CT sided, because the T side requires more coordination to execute.

The problem with this conversation is people are assuming an ease of execution equates to a lack of tactics, and this is an incorrect assumption. dust2, more than any other map, can be played without good coordination, but it will always be played BETTER with coordination, the tactics are still there, they are just not quite as mandatory.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

This thread is so filled with aspergers right now.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Coleman posted:

You are wrong, however, in assuming that a coordinated team is EQUAL to a pug team on a map such as dust2. A coordinated team will still perform better on dust2 than a pug team will, because the tactics that good unified teams have is still going to be useful on dust2. Yes, maps scale in difficulty, of course they do. And YES, because dust2 is played so often, dust2 is at the bottom of that difficulty scale. Everyone that plays dust2 knows where to go, knows how to go there, and some very rudimentary tactics and strats. That does not however mean that it's not a tactical or strategic map, because it is.

No one said this, including the ESL guy. In fact he explicitly said a coordinated team still had the advantage, it's just "less many" on a map like dust2. Consider how long it takes for either team to rotate from upper to lower on Nuke and compare it to rotating from A to B on dust2. Dust2 also has a bunch of long hallways or open areas without much cover or places for people to ambush you from.

Your claim is that dust2 is lower on the autism teamwork spectrum because people play it so much, but I don't buy it. I say it's more popular because it is easier to play without good team coordination or communication. It is the 2fort of CS:GO.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Someone earlier made a statement that dust2 is an "strategically awful" map. I think that is what cole is trying to take issue with, and I'd kind of agree with him in that.

I mean, sure, I think dust2 is less punishing to those who want to run around and shoot people mindlessly when you are MMing. But when two competent teams play dust2, there is still a lot of strategy involved(though I'd agree it's not as strategically involved as say, train or inferno).

I think there is a bit of truth to both sides of the argument here. Dust2 IS easier to pug/pub on than other maps. People DO know Dust2 more than other maps. Both of those things contribute to making dust2 the single most popular map. I also think it's an all around good map, that is fairly well balanced(9-6 is the average half score) and that also contributes to it's popularity.

VoiceOfIntuition
Apr 11, 2009
So IEM Katowice is next week. Y'all want to do another fantasy bracket like we did with DreamHack 2013? If we get enough interest and I set it up over the weekend we should be able to do more this time around and not just preds the final four.

In other news: http://tindeck.com/listen/jmjw

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Fat Lou posted:

This thread is so filled with aspergers right now.

Here, I'll help.

40 OZ posted:

It seems this way because everyone plays so much Dust2 that when you draw a random team of decent rank they'll perform at like a 5 (of 10).

So a coordinated team practiced to a 9 ends up like 9 vs 5, an advantage, but not huge.

On nuke where pubbies hate playing it's like a 2 for a random draw. A practiced team is now 9 vs 2 and it looks like the strats are more important but the reality is just that the other team is bad.

Because of its openness dust2 does require a little less finesse with smokes and flashes, but it's not that big.

Faking not knowing english is definitely a way to get people to be nicer to you than they otherwise would be. I'm not quite sure what's happening here.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Question: I like to play this game from time to time. Lately I've been selling things that drop in the game. The question is who are these people who pay actual money for video game weapons, and boxes that hypothetically contain video game weapons. Thanks for your help.

Addendum: The weapons don't even do anything different, they're just colors. This adds to the confusion. Please advise.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Question: I like to play this game from time to time. Lately I've been selling things that drop in the game. The question is who are these people who pay actual money for video game weapons, and boxes that hypothetically contain video game weapons. Thanks for your help.

Addendum: The weapons don't even do anything different, they're just colors. This adds to the confusion. Please advise.

People, especially men, are built to want to increase their status and climb the hierarchy. By controlling and monetizing this in TF2/DOTA2/CSGO, Valve gets wheelbarrows of money. They increase the number of people playing the game by making it cheap or free, and of course fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QEOBgLBQU&t=2230s

RedQueen fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 7, 2014

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
I buy guns that I think look cool or funny. They generally cost me less than a dollar, and the money isn't even money I put into the account consciously, it just happens to be in my account from selling other guns or doing other steam stuff.

I have no idea what's up with the people who pay $250 for a stat-trak AK or something. Silliness. I think the market just kind of creates those people out of necessity because you'd be foolish to price something as rare as a knife at like $1.

PelvicThrust
Oct 22, 2009

And one for the doctor

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

To be fair, a lot of it is just money that people earn from selling other stuff. However, if you want to be sick to yourself, check market history on knives. people spend hundreds of dollars on this poo poo. :smith:

Goonmans should host a 3v3 soccer tourney, the last time we played we were developing a ~*Meta*~ and poo poo

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
This thread made me redownload CS:GO from stream.

Yeah, CS:GO is dead in Australia. Like 4 servers have people in them at peak playing time.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

PelvicThrust posted:

To be fair, a lot of it is just money that people earn from selling other stuff. However, if you want to be sick to yourself, check market history on knives. people spend hundreds of dollars on this poo poo. :smith:

Goonmans should host a 3v3 soccer tourney, the last time we played we were developing a ~*Meta*~ and poo poo
That's entirely the confusing thing though. Like okay a penny here or there, who cares. But people spend 300 dollars on a knife in this game. Why. Why do they do that. It's a hypothetical question since I will never understand, ever.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
If valve wants to make some real money they should make a knife that's rainbow colors and does 15 extra damage and costs 2000 dollars, I guess. More than one person would buy it

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

That's entirely the confusing thing though. Like okay a penny here or there, who cares. But people spend 300 dollars on a knife in this game. Why. Why do they do that. It's a hypothetical question since I will never understand, ever.

Probably for the same reason people spend thousands of dollars on collectibles.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This is a good post.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Please put this in the OP please.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

VoiceOfIntuition posted:

So IEM Katowice is next week. Y'all want to do another fantasy bracket like we did with DreamHack 2013? If we get enough interest and I set it up over the weekend we should be able to do more this time around and not just preds the final four.

In other news: [url][/url]

Can someone light the Daeno flare and get him to put this to a movie scene. It'll be gold jerry, gold.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Holy poo poo, this is amazing.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I don't believe that there is a single 'legit' silver 1 out there. I've tried. Even I can't throw that hard.

I know one. He's Silver 2 now!

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 7, 2014

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Anyone heard about some sort of kicking exploit?

I just played a game where 3 of the players were queued together, and right away 2 of them left, then a vote flashed really quickly on the screen, and the other solo queued player was kicked. Then the other 2 rejoined and kicked me as well. I don't know how they would have kicked the 1st player without me voting though.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

EvilElmo posted:

This thread made me redownload CS:GO from stream.

Yeah, CS:GO is dead in Australia. Like 4 servers have people in them at peak playing time.

I'm not sure what the deal with CS:GO in Australia is. Like you said there is often only 4 servers with people in them. Matchmaking (competitive or casual/DM etc) is mostly reliable but non competitive can often put you in servers full of bots.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

This thread has generated many beautiful things

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I've got somewhere north of a $1000 CS inventory, and have bought $250+ dollar guns on the market, but it was with steam cash I got from selling Dota stuff. Some of the stuff I dropped 10 bucks unboxing or whatever when the game was new is worth like 180 now. I also went to the big International tournament last year (I live nearby) and basically every dollar spent at the merch booth there translated to 5-10x that in steam cash with the virtual items everything came with. Plus the in game autograph items which only cost the time of waiting in a line (a couple of those sold for $2-300). I'm sure there's a sizable group of people who just drop 300 bucks or whatever into the market like idiots, but I'm pretty sure that most of the big sales on the market are people like me or crime organizations laundering money.

I can officially confirm that expensive items don't make you any less poo poo at the game, though.

e: If people end up doing a fantasy bracket as mentioned earlier, please post about it here and not just in the group chat or inner circle. I know dick all about the competitive meta as a new player, but games are really fun to watch and I want to get hype while throwing expensive skins away gambling, basically.

DareToSlack fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 7, 2014

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I don't believe that there is a single 'legit' silver 1 out there. I've tried. Even I can't throw that hard.

Wouldn't a Silver 1 be as rare as a Global Elite or am I confusing Elo with grading on a curve?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wouldn't a Silver 1 be as rare as a Global Elite or am I confusing Elo with grading on a curve?

If the ELO basis for ranks is dynamic in relation to player levels, theoretically yes, unless the distribution is purposely weighted one way or the other. If it is static, you would expect there to actually be more Global Elite than Silver 1 just by simple fact that over time players improve.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

This is loving brilliant.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005