Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Khisanth Magus posted:

Apparently my company is considering doing the whole thin client thing for us developers. Which would rather suck in the first place, but given the fact that we don't do much of any server stuff in house and our internet is poo poo, having to deal with latency while programming would get very infuriating very fast.

Unless your VDI is complete poo poo, you won't even notice. It's not like development is limited by how fast you can type, and VDI is fast enough that you very likely won't be able to tell the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A ticket didn't come in!

We're doing dev work on a Change Management project for The Most Annoying Client™. I finished writing the last automation piece by 11:30 this morning, and come noon, told the internal tester at the client to go nuts.

We had a status update meeting at 3:30. Not only are my boss and VP on the line (it's a big client), but their CTO and VP of their helpdesk. The internal tester immediately throws me under the bus. This isn't working! That isn't working! How can he get anything done with all of these issues??!?

Except he didn't let us know about any of these issues. He just logged them on their internal Project site, which I don't have access to.

After the call was over, we scheduled a remote session. Turns out the automation service was turned off. My bad, I hadn't switched it on after I was done my work this morning. But it's the easiest thing in the world to check and turn it on or off. It's step one in troubleshooting any automation issues with this product!

If he'd actually called or emailed us, he could have been up and running for testing right away. Instead, he buries the issue in their issue log and waits for us to check it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

SopWATh posted:

An old lady came in...

EDIT: I work for a school district, this lady just lives by the district office I work in.

She has a pacemaker and a thing the pacemaker reports to. It's a small box with a modem in it and she couldn't get it to phone home to report to her doctor about the status of the pacemaker. Of course she decided to come in to the office to ask for help rather than going to the doctor. She brings this box in and it's pretty straight-forward with a phone and a line jack on the side. I explain that we have a phone system that wont work with this thing, but that you should be able to plug the phone cord from the wall to the line port (I think that's the problem) but that if it still doesn't work she should a) call the 1-800 number on the back of the thing, and/or b) go to the loving doctor.

She explains that she called the 800-number, they couldn't help her, so they connected her to a doctor, who simply said he wasn't familiar with the device. At no point in time did anyone say, "Go to the doctor!" What the loving poo poo people, this lady is in her 80's and probably needs to get this figured out.

Buddy of mine used to work helpdesk for those boxes and I can almost guarentee the reason helpdesk couldn't help her is because she wouldn't plug the loving phone line in when they asked her to. It's either that or the batteries.

The job is almost entirely A: convincing people to plug the box into a phone jack, and B: politely getting lonely old folks who just called to chat off the line. Probably the worst helpdesk position out there.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
A ticket came in from :eng101: : We need to move 10TB of data to the cloud ASAP.
:allears: And how do you plan to do that? We have a 100Mb/10Mb Comcast line and that would take... 2563 hours, and make the office internet un-usable.
:eng101: Let's rent a 1Gbp's internet connection!
:allears: Ok, well we can check with a local Colo or two.
:eng101: We need to start on Monday to meet the project deadline we set with the customer months ago.
:colbert: You have to be loving me?

Has anyone short term rented from a colo? More applicable: Has anyone maxed out their colo connection for, let's say up to two weeks (worst case pulling from a USB drive)? I can't image this is going to work out how they want.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 7, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Put it on EC2, courier them the hard drives.

http://aws.amazon.com/importexport/details/

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

the spyder posted:

A ticket came in from :eng101: : We need to move 10TB of data to the cloud ASAP.
:allears: And how do you plan to do that? We have a 100Mb/10Mb Comcast line and that would take... 2563 hours, and make the office internet un-usable.
:eng101: Let's rent a 1Gbp's internet connection!
:allears: Ok, well we can check with a local Colo or two.
:eng101: We need to start on Monday
:colbert: You have to loving me?

Has anyone short term rented from a colo? More applicable: Has anyone maxed out their colo connection for, let's say up to two weeks (worst case pulling from a USB drive)? I can't image this is going to work out how they want.

I get this poo poo all the time. "What do you mean it will take 38 days to upload my data? I HAVE BROADBAND!"

(It's a 1.5/768k DSL line)

Be sure to check if there will be any ongoing or regular large transfers of data after the initial seeding. You don't want to end up in a situation where there's an ongoing bandwidth deficit. Seeding don't mean a thing if they generate more data than they can upload.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Caged posted:

Andrew S. Tanenbaum posted:

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Caged posted:

We have contacted Amazon and Google about this- Amazon has a two week backlog + transfer speeds (over usb, ugggg) and Google won't return our inquiries. :(

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, I just flushed a favor down the shitter. A friend/netadmin for a local company is loaning me their backup-backup fall over 1Gb link. Never cash in personal favors for work. God drat it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

the spyder posted:

Well, I just flushed a favor down the shitter. A friend/netadmin for a local company is loaning me their backup-backup fall over 1Gb link. Never cash in personal favors for work. God drat it.

Why would you do this and not make your work pay for it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can load hard drives onto Windows Azure for like $40.

And yeah, why did you cash in a personal favour for your employer that hung you out to dry in the first place? They asked if they could rent a line, get your friend to draw up an invoice.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
'Student broke off VPN port on ipad.'

Called to make sure they didn't mis-type. Nope. VPN ports are used to charge iPad 2's now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Why would you do this and not make your work pay for it?

Seriously, unless the alternative is "you're fired" and you have major surgery coming up, why are you paying your employer?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

evol262 posted:

FYI - Red hat employees are issued bright red fedoras with a black band at orientation. Only the spergiest people wear them (and generally only at conferences), but they look like the red hat logo, and we all technically have them.

Ixia's booth at Cisco Live in Florida last year was giving away fedoras to anyone dumb enough to wear one.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Seriously, unless the alternative is "you're fired" and you have major surgery coming up, why are you paying your employer?

It's a long story. The short version is I like the PM and will help him out and I'm getting some face time with possible employers for when I leave here. Plus I'm an idiot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

the spyder posted:

It's a long story. The short version is I like the PM and will help him out and I'm getting some face time with possible employers for when I leave here. Plus I'm an idiot.

"Hey boss, my buddy's boss says he has to charge us."

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

ZetsurinPower posted:

good call. self improvement is often the only way to get ahead if you can't secure on-the-job training or get your company to pay for classes.

Important note for people who are interviewing with a new potential employer: always find out what the promotion path has been for the position you're applying for, find out where previous employees ended up and how long it took them to get there. If they scratch their heads trying to think of a success story, its probably a sign that its a dead end position.

Very true, as long as you don't go overboard with this line of inquiry. I just interviewed a dude earlier this week who started the interview asking how fast he might be promoted to management. And derailed an interview question to ask a second time.

Guess what the first thing out of his mouth was when we got to the "so do you have any questions for us" part of the wrap-up?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
XP is coming up on the EOL and we're forcing our clients to get rid of their XP machines :toot:

Of course, since we can't have nice things, two of these jobs have been scheduled for when the account manager is on vacation to some place that doesn't even have electricity, and both clients use a bunch of specialized software, none of which has been documented. Managed to get through both pretty gracefully, thankfully.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Inspector_666 posted:

XP is coming up on the EOL and we're forcing our clients to get rid of their XP machines :toot:

Of course, since we can't have nice things, two of these jobs have been scheduled for when the account manager is on vacation to some place that doesn't even have electricity, and both clients use a bunch of specialized software, none of which has been documented. Managed to get through both pretty gracefully, thankfully.

We're doing the same thing, the only downside being that we just brought on a fairly large client and at least 85% of machines are XP. Our network/server teams have been getting them transitioned from their old MSP over to us, and it hasn't been easy to say the least. The latest news I heard is that they're being put on the back burner for XP EOL upgrade because (a) their main server is making GBS threads the bed, (b) they're getting new broadband service put in and (c) their old Sonicwall firewall is getting pulled and replaced with something else.

Other than that, most of my other clients have been good about it, save for the ones that don't want to buy new PCs despite the ones they have being anywhere from 3 months to 2 YEARS past their warranty expiration. I've tried explaining how it's going to be more beneficial time and cost wise to get the new machines, but they're like little kids that plug their ears and go "LALALALA I CAN'T HEEAARR YOUU".

Oh well, they were warned and when we set these old poo poo boxes up with Win7 and they eventually break, causing us to re-do our work all over again (whether it's on another spare poo poo PC or a brand new one) and add additional time and expense, and they get a gigantic bill for the time, they'll realize they shot themselves in the foot. It's the most backwards thinking, idiotic decision making I've seen, but I'm not the guy making the decisions. v:shobob:v

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

You can have multiple people using PDQ inventory on terminal services server. Each user needs a license. It's not designed to work this way but it does work. The newest beta of PDQ deploy supports sharing packages over a central repository.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

the spyder posted:

Yes, you can colo a box for a month. Any non-lovely facility will not charge you any sort of premium for this, but who knows.

Yes, you should be able to max out your connection, but I would mention it to the people first. It should be a decent 1Gb link and they SHOULD be able to handle the traffic, but if they balk at it, ask them if they can rate limit the port down a bit if it's going to cause issues. More importantly, moving that much data might just make them a bit anxious, so if you give them a little bit of a heads up about what's going on, they are less likely to hassle you or pull the plug when they see your graph pegged 24/7.

Also double check transfer limits. Last place I worked gave out 20TB/month as a base amount, but ymmv.

I'd be surprised of the whole affair cost you $100 assuming your machine is 4U or less.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 7, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ghana rheya posted:

Called to make sure they didn't mis-type. Nope. VPN ports are used to charge iPad 2's now.

Remote power over wifi. A VPN so amazing it can tunnel PoE over other networks too, all the way to the wireless access point, where it is then transmitted to the iPad. All the way from your datacentre.

I don't even know why I thought to make up an imaginary scheme, but it sounds like some bullshit you could almost convince someone is true.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Khisanth Magus posted:

Apparently my company is considering doing the whole thin client thing for us developers. Which would rather suck in the first place, but given the fact that we don't do much of any server stuff in house and our internet is poo poo, having to deal with latency while programming would get very infuriating very fast.

Last page, but my group does what amounts to thin client programming for our stuff, and it's fantastic. We have a bank of hosts and a solid build system that lets you wipe any one of them and dump a fully-functioning development environment for any given host onto it. Need to mess with subsite X? Pick a host, point the most recent subsite X production image at it, blow it away, and get to work.

Most of us also have other claimed hosts that we use as a "home base" that we run IRC clients, network tools, mercurial repositories, etc. off of. Need to do work on a dev machine and don't want to arse around with push/pulling every time you want to update the code? Run a script to rsync your home machine's dotfiles and get all of your .vimrc, .hgrc, .zshrc and errata and it's like you never left your host.

Not going to lie, it's pretty loving sweet, and the only time I've ever had latency even be noticeable is when I'm sitting at a restaurant with a Macbook Air, which is a sacrifice some of us just have to make. :colbert:

I will also note that it would be really easy to gently caress this up and have it be horrible for everybody all the time, so I hope your company isn't poo poo :v:

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

HalloKitty posted:

Remote power over wifi. A VPN so amazing it can tunnel PoE over other networks too, all the way to the wireless access point, where it is then transmitted to the iPad. All the way from your datacentre.

I don't even know why I thought to make up an imaginary scheme, but it sounds like some bullshit you could almost convince someone is true.

At the end of that chain, you'll find the gigabot, powered in part by the relatively new innovation, the turboencabulator!

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I've just received a 7 emails conversation ticket where nobody was bothered enough to even indicate what is the issue.

:fuckoff:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

eithedog posted:

I've just received a 7 emails conversation ticket where nobody was bothered enough to even indicate what is the issue.

:fuckoff:

At least you aren't CCed after 3 weeks after the issue started, when a single email/phone call/carrier pigeon would have solved the issue immediately. :v:

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Doing the same here and one of the people involved in explaining the process to the user base is trying to convince everyone that "XP is more secure because it has had more patches than Windows 7"...

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

ratbert90 posted:

At least you aren't CCed after 3 weeks after the issue started, when a single email/phone call/carrier pigeon would have solved the issue immediately. :v:

I get these too. I used to try to help them but I've stopped now when I realised how much of my own time they were wasting. The final straw was when I got an email chain which had started 6 weeks prior, with an attachment containing a second email chain, and the sum total of the email addressed to me was "Please advise".

My response to that (and all future emails like that now) was "I'd be happy to offer assistance if you can summarise the issue for me. Thanks!"

I never got a response.

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Accounting just got hit with cryptorbit. A great friday to be tier 2.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ghana rheya posted:

Everyone knows that VPN stands for V-something Power N-something and is the "cord that runs from your laptop to the wall".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

rock2much posted:

Doing the same here and one of the people involved in explaining the process to the user base is trying to convince everyone that "XP is more secure because it has had more patches than Windows 7"...

Today I had a guy who just got a virus on his XP laptop that may have led directly to his wife's e-mail getting hacked tell me he didn't want to replace either this laptop or his other one because "I don't have a car less than 10 years old!" and I was so close to asking how he managed to spend upwards of $15k on a laptop.

:iiaca:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Inspector_666 posted:

I was so close to asking how he managed to spend upwards of $15k on a laptop.

"Oh yeah, well that was pretty great, the sales guy gave me a great deal! He told me the laptop was actually $20k but I got friendly with him and he totally knocked off 25% for me - he also seemed really happy about it, so I think we both had a good day. Hey, you want I should ask him if he can do the same for you? He's a really nice guy and I'm sure he'd help you out!"

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
So we just finished gathering up the rest of the workstations at my satellite office for the Win7 deployment this weekend. I already delayed Mr 665 Hours Uptime from his pickup last week to give him time to backup all his poo poo and figure out how to handle his 50/50/400GB partitioned hard drive. I'd just pull the fucker and have them image him fresh, but I don't want to have to deal with Pointsec when it's time to copy stuff back over to the fresh image.

He hasn't been in his office since last Thursday (working from home), hasn't responded to any of my delivery/read receipted emails, and doesn't have his phone forwarded.

Come to today, he finally calls me back at 11:45, when the contractors are going to be here at noon to start kidnapping workstations, to let me know that he hasn't completely backing up all of his stuff.

Which is kindof ok, because we can't take his workstation without a signed copy of a work release for the machine, which he of course hasn't signed because he hasn't been onsite in over a week.

However, we have workstations on a schedule. This site is scheduled to be 100% completed on Monday. Anyone who hasn't been done by Friday next week gets both their computer and user object disabled in AD.

I guarantee that he thinks that if he waits past the deadline, that I'll just come over and image his workstation at his desk. Jokes on him, the MDT server is downtown at the main office, and the network connection here blows with a capital B, so if we image here it slows everything to a crawl. So his PC is getting kidnapped for a couple days either way.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Inspector_666 posted:

Today I had a guy who just got a virus on his XP laptop that may have led directly to his wife's e-mail getting hacked tell me he didn't want to replace either this laptop or his other one because "I don't have a car less than 10 years old!" and I was so close to asking how he managed to spend upwards of $15k on a laptop.

:iiaca:

And just like your car, you can either fix it yourself or give me hundreds of dollars and I'll be happy to take care of it for you.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Che Delilas posted:

I

That realization is just about the biggest motivation killer I can think of. I wonder how many of the people who are just coasting have been repeatedly been burned by those managerial tactics, and I wonder how much of a contribution that had to them deciding that what they had was good enough.

I'm speaking in generalities here, by the way, not anything specific to your company.

It certainly made me less likely to put in extra effort and not cut corners. The mother company made bonuses based on a company wide performance record, not individual or even account wide. So I'm beholden to how teams I've never met and never will who's managers are also playing games with the reviews to not issue raises.

So gently caress it. I'll duck out early like others get away with. Park and ride. I'm not in this for love. Pony up or stop acting like performance reviews and bonuses are real.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 7, 2014

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
It wasn't the VPN/USB charging port at all. Some enterprising little poo poo shaped one of those large pink erasers into a makeshift headphone jack. You can see where this is going. 25 mins and some temporarily liberated items from maintenance and the VPN port is fixed!

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

ghana rheya posted:

It wasn't the VPN/USB charging port at all. Some enterprising little poo poo shaped one of those large pink erasers into a makeshift headphone jack. You can see where this is going. 25 mins and some temporarily liberated items from maintenance and the VPN port is fixed!

You have a weird way of describing stuff. The headphone jack is the 3.5mm audio port, do you mean somebody filled that with eraser? Also what the hell is a VPN port

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Something that an ipad doesn't have.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
I guess it's too much to expect everybody to call the male end of a 3.5mm analog connection a Modular Plug but jesus christ this terminology is terrible
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#Other_connectors.2C_other_terms

The male and female ends can be called by each other's names, english is awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

rolleyes posted:

I get these too. I used to try to help them but I've stopped now when I realised how much of my own time they were wasting. The final straw was when I got an email chain which had started 6 weeks prior, with an attachment containing a second email chain, and the sum total of the email addressed to me was "Please advise".

My response to that (and all future emails like that now) was "I'd be happy to offer assistance if you can summarise the issue for me. Thanks!"

I never got a response.

My standard response is:

"I'm sorry, but I am not authorized to discuss such matters off the clock. ${BOSS} can print t you up a contract for support hours, but working off the clock isn't authorized."

I also CC my boss because he is never included in the email chain to begin with when they are trying to get free support hours out of me. :v:

• Locked thread