Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Rarity posted:

RIP Snog, Marry, Avoid :(
That show died when Jenny Frost left it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
BBC2 is so desperate for something to replace the Bake Off they might go for a Great British FMK competition.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Mr. Squishy posted:

BBC2 is so desperate for something to replace the Bake Off they might go for a Great British FMK competition.

I'm quite enjoying the great British Hair off, the basic styles aren't that interesting but when they make hideous monstrosities with badly put together edifices of nasty synthetic hair, florist foam, wire and corrugated cardboard it's great.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was about to be sad that BBC3 is going, but then again the few good shows it did commission can replace the complete poo poo they're currently putting out on BBC 2.

Or you know, drop the idea of schedules entirely and just have the one on-demand channel that shows whatever you want, whenever you want. I wish conventional TV would move towards this model.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That will only become the default when 1) all the grans in the world die and 2) the government wants to sell off the wavelength.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'll miss BBC 3 for its trash. Nothing is better than being hungover on a Saturday morning and watching Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents followed up by repeats of Don't Tell The Bridge. They'll keep BBC 4 as they want to increase the audience for music and arts, which is more my cup of tea, but nevertheless, boo hoo. Though I imagine most of the audience for BBC 3 watches its programming on iplayer anyway so hopefully they'll still air Young Butcher of the Year on BBC Digi or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkWGdyns2aA

The ident of being at someone elses house. Aloha!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Don't tell the Bridge sounds like an amazing programme.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

goatface posted:

Don't tell the Bridge sounds like an amazing programme.

Just don't watch the UK remake, Don't tell the tunnel

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
RIP Mongrels, Snog Marry Avoid and Hotter Than My Daughter. Three modern masterpieces.

(only slightly sarcastic about the latter two)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As a self-confessed fan of terrible television, this was the reaction I had when I heard.

Goodnight sweet prince, the world was too good for you.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Goodnight sweet prince, may images of blokes flashing their awkward ball sacks before Watershed and the sound of the endless nasal laugh Peter Griffin nurse you to your deep sleep.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

Just don't watch the UK remake, Don't tell the tunnel
Or it's Viva clone, bridgezillas

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
BBC3 peaked too early with "Can Fat Teens Hunt?" and could never match the same brilliance again

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I really enjoyed this weeks inside number 9. I think the episodes are best when Reece Shearsmith is so prominent

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
This looks good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOTtlHYdocI

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I thought it was the weakest Inside No. 9 so far, but since it's an anthology show I'm not miffed about it. Not every show is going to be to my tastes.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I don't like Stewart Lees Comedy Vehicle or Stewart Lee.

This concludes my post

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Or you know, drop the idea of schedules entirely and just have the one on-demand channel that shows whatever you want, whenever you want. I wish conventional TV would move towards this model.
I don't think you quite grasp just how any orders of magnitude more bandwidth the country's infrastructure would need added for this.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Haggis Heed posted:

I don't like Stewart Lees Comedy Vehicle or Stewart Lee.

This concludes my post

This is a bad opinion.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cerv posted:

I don't think you quite grasp just how any orders of magnitude more bandwidth the country's infrastructure would need added for this.
It is a bit idealistic, I just hate schedules and how arbitrary keeping a certain time once a week is. Since having access to on demand and catch up services I basically don't browse anymore.

Watching something 'just because it's on' is incredibly frustrating when I could be reading, or on the Xbox, or watching a BluRay or meeting friends or whatever.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

If I think about it I hardly ever watch 'stuff thats on now'. I watch the things I like on iPlayer etc, practically everything else is something my girlfriend has recorded on her sky box thing when we are hanging out. I watched last nights 2 episodes of family guy on bbc3 last night live last night because I couldnt sleep but im struggling to think of anything previous.

Its a change in culture I think, when I lived with my parents many moons ago the tv was always on. Personally I just dont want that anymore as ive realised most of it poo poo.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think I realised the generational difference when my mam called the other night to record Jonathan Creek or I'd miss it :psyduck:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

On VHS or Betamax?

I never got around to watching it, but was A Field In England any good?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

justcola posted:

On VHS or Betamax?
Ugh, wax cylinder. You kids and your fancy technology.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

justcola posted:

Yes, it's very good.

However, it is a film you will either absolutely love or hate with a passion. Watch it while stoned to appreciate the full paranoid horrific and anxiety inducing effect.

Edit: It's a bit like Witchfinder General crossed with something by Jodorowsky.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 6, 2014

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

justcola posted:

keep punching joe posted:

Yes, it's very good.

However, it is a film you will either absolutely love or hate with a passion. Watch it while stoned to appreciate the full paranoid horrific and anxiety inducing effect.

Very true, haven't met anybody that thought it was just "alright", you either get a glare of incomprehension and disgust at the end of showing it to someone, or they steal your DVD of it because they liked it that much.

I liked it. And the bit where Reese Shearsmith leaves the tent is one of the most uncomfortable, creepy things I've ever seen.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It also has Ryan Pope in it, he plays sniveling mean bastards quite well for a nice bloke.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm kind of sad to see BBC3 go, but it's so lost sight of the original purpose (if it ever had one) that it's just a mercy killing at this point. I did like it fairly early on when it did take a punt with a few shows that probably wouldn't have made it elsewhere (stuff like Snuff Box and to a lesser extent Mighty Boosh) but I think 3 pints of lager finally killed it off. Probably.

Anyway, have some Snuff Box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN74mnaqno4

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the original idea of a more youth orientated BBC channel isn't a bad one, it's just that the shows they ended up making for it were, in fact, bad.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

marktheando posted:

Yeah the original idea of a more youth orientated BBC channel isn't a bad one, it's just that the shows they ended up making for it were, in fact, bad.

The trouble is that its incredibly hard to make decent cheap yoof tv, snog marry avoid is unironically one of the most amazing pieces of telly put out by bbc3 due to how much entertainment you can get out of it for it being so (relatively) cheap to make.

As much as we'd like to think we have great taste in this thread, bear in mind bbc3's target audience probably love family guy and jack whitehall. That said there was a lot of genuine dross and over-reliance on "poo poo out another documentary with sex in the title", it nearly reached channel 4 levels.

Its criminal we never got another series of the fades though.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Is family guy considered poo poo by the hivemind? I find it very entertaining but then i did only watch my first one a couple of months ago, i dare say the novelty will ware off soon. Sorry i do just giggle at the evil baby :(

I suspect I might just be catching up on a 5 year old fad or something.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Seaside Loafer posted:

Is family guy considered poo poo by the hivemind? I find it very entertaining but then i did only watch my first one a couple of months ago, i dare say the novelty will ware off soon. Sorry i do just giggle at the evil baby :(

I suspect I might just be catching up on a 5 year old fad or something.
It feels more like a 7 year fad, but ultimately Family Guy's problem is that it started off as a Simpson's knock-off, ran out of ideas, tried to keep going anyway, got cancelled and then came back as an ironic self-parody of itself.

If you tried to sit and watch them all you'd probably end up hating it, but if you just tune in and happen to get one of the good episodes it can be funny; there's just a high poo poo:quality ratio, and a lot of goons remember how bad it was pre-cancellation.

American Dad is a much sharper social commentary, but only if you're politically left leaning.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 7, 2014

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Ponce de Le0n posted:

As much as we'd like to think we have great taste in this thread, bear in mind bbc3's target audience probably love family guy and jack whitehall.

BBC3's audience was 18-35 year olds. I suspect that the majority of people who post in this thread fall into that range (or have done during its' run) - and it was hitting a stunningly low percentage of the target audience. I'd be willing to gamble they were actually getting more viewers from CBBC's target audience, even.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Family Guy can be entertaining if you happen to catch an odd episode, as previously stated, but the more you watch, the more you realize how bad/formulaic it actually is.

That said, we did get some genuinely good stuff out of BBC3. Being Human, a few neat comedies (I happen to think Snuff Box is one of those shows that probably won't be recognized for how brilliant it is until much later - if ever) and such.

It's a shame it was drowned in a torrent of dross.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

As long as they make and air Uncle series 2 before it closes, I won't lose any sleep.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Haggis Heed posted:

As long as they make and air Uncle series 2 before it closes, I won't lose any sleep.

Oh gently caress I hadn't considered Uncle. Hope it isn't a casualty

Southy
Nov 18, 2012
I hope they can find a home for In the Flesh, one of the few shows I would miss.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
8 out of 10 does countdown is one of my favourite shows right now

Just booked tickets to see Jon richardson. Is his standup any good?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I enjoyed his last comedy DVD. He concentrates a little too much on his OCD/awkwardness. I think he'd make a great political comic but I think he doesn't trust himself enough to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I liked Inside No 9. Not hilarious, but I like that kind of pacing. I thought it'd have been interesting to have a series in which the cast remains the same but they do a different play each week. The 'extra' episode is good too; http://www.insideno9extra.co.uk/inside/index.html