Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

ABSAG

Always Be Scanning All Gaskets.

Seriously, I scanned the gasket kit for my RV90 in, and now all I have to do is print any gasket I want at the right DPI, cut it out and use it as a template to cut a real gasket out of gasket paper with.

Good idea! I bet you could place the part on the scanner if you didn't have the gasket too. My machinist friend does this when making new CNC clutch covers and the like with complex layouts. Just scan the part in, trace a vector image over the scan and import the vector into CAD as the base drawing. I wonder if you could feed gasket paper through an inkjet printer, anyone want to try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
How well to the gasket making gels work for these types of situations?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

ReelBigLizard posted:

I wonder if you could feed gasket paper through an inkjet printer, anyone want to try?

I did this with the engine casing on my old bandit 250, worked pretty well but it was on a big laser printer that could print on heavy card stock. blueing the mating surface and pressing it onto the paper works just as well though and is faster.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

echomadman posted:

I did this with the engine casing on my old bandit 250, worked pretty well but it was on a big laser printer that could print on heavy card stock. blueing the mating surface and pressing it onto the paper works just as well though and is faster.

Until you're dealing with parts that have alignment dowels and whatnot that don't allow you to press it fully down

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Wait, how did you get motorcycle insurance through USAA? When I tried to add one to my other policies I was redirected to Progressive under the auspices of they don't offer it.

I think they only offer it in CA and a handful of other states, and only if you've had a cycle license for over three years. I got bumped over to Progressive when I had my bike in WI, but after moving to CA, selling that bike, and buying another bike I was able to jump onto USAA's cycle insurance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Until you're dealing with parts that have alignment dowels and whatnot that don't allow you to press it fully down

I would absolutely not trust any CNC'd part that the guy made by tracing over a scan, either. Gaskets, sure, but not an actual mechanical part.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Hey everyone, we finally launched that Kickstarter I was talking about a couple weeks ago.

It's called Sit, Stay, Ride.

Thanks to those of you who helped me out!

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 6, 2014

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Interesting idea - I actually work in the dog field, but with a group that probably wouldn't approve of dogs being in sidecars. Can I ask where you came up with $6k for DVD manufacturing?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I kinda wondered what the reaction in a pet community might be to the whole dog/sidecar concept, but I guess I figured somebody would end up not being happy about it ... probably why I posted here and not in PI :v:

I actually just started working with these two (literally my first assignment was to research blogs that might be interested in promoting this Kickstarter), so I can't say for sure where they drew up much of anything in the budget outline. Last we talked, they were having some problems with the place they've been going through for their previous film* and they were looking into alternate solutions. I can ask next time I talk to them.

*Best Bar in America--also a motorcycle movie, but not a documentary

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 6, 2014

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
gently caress 'em, I can't think of a single dog that wouldn't piss itself in joy at the thought of riding in a sidecar next to their best buddy. If they'll put up with having to wear doggles to do something, they fuckin' love that thing.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CaptainViolence posted:

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I guess I just don't know what kind of audience would be there for a motorcycle/pet documentary... seems like a very small and wierdly specific intersection. :shrug:

Now a documentary about riding a bike across America looking for the seediest roadhouses on a bike? I'd que that sucker up in a heartbeat! :pervert:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
You would be shocked at the seedy depths the dog book and video business goes to.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I want to try one of those motorcycle race school deals; I know there is a SuperMoto school near San Diego. But are there any superbike schools near the bay area?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I guess I just don't know what kind of audience would be there for a motorcycle/pet documentary... seems like a very small and wierdly specific intersection. :shrug:

I must be part of that weird intersection. Bikes and dogs rule :smugdog:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ElMaligno posted:

I want to try one of those motorcycle race school deals; I know there is a SuperMoto school near San Diego. But are there any superbike schools near the bay area?

Keigwins and zoom zoom both offer schools...I'd recommend keigwins for your first novice/intermediate school.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

I would absolutely not trust any CNC'd part that the guy made by tracing over a scan, either. Gaskets, sure, but not an actual mechanical part.

Why not? It's about the easiest way of getting a dimensionally correct profile of a flat mating surface, especially when replicating old parts with compound curves that were probably made by someone hand shaping the original casting pattern. It's not like you can't verify the CNC'd part against the original afterwards either.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
I wouldn't trust a scanner for something internal to the powertrain that requires precise tolerances, but for everything else it sounds like a pretty great idea to me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If they're fluid channels like we're talking about, then a scanner is just fine. It's not like you're scanning a piston and machining a new one.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
No, he uses this method for replicating old engine covers and making reinforced ones. He makes cases for some of the local guys with vintage race bikes, where the replacement covers have become unobtainium or they need a cover with more clearance for a bigger stator or something. It's loving genius.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

OSU_Matthew posted:

Now a documentary about riding a bike across America looking for the seediest roadhouses on a bike? I'd que that sucker up in a heartbeat! :pervert:

I don't think it's supposed to be specific to that one small intersection, it's also meant to get at people who either like dogs and like seeing dogs have fun or like motorcycles and taking road trips with their loved ones.

Best Bar is worth checking out for the seedy roadhouse aspect even if it's not a doc. I enjoyed it--but I was also drunk when I watched it so I don't really remember the ending. If anybody does track it down and has trouble getting it, let me know. Sometimes the DVD pressing place doesn't ship out orders right so we have to do it manually, but we don't get any notification for it other than angry emails.

Thanks to everyone for taking a look at this stuff either way, though! I'm pretty sure I'll be back with actual motorcycle questions at some point. I'm gonna end up re-learning to ride for the first time since I was a kid in order to work on this (assuming we reach funding) so I'm sure I will have some dumb thing or another to ask. :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

Why not? It's about the easiest way of getting a dimensionally correct profile of a flat mating surface, especially when replicating old parts with compound curves that were probably made by someone hand shaping the original casting pattern. It's not like you can't verify the CNC'd part against the original afterwards either.

Oh, well, if he's just using it to model the general shape of the casing, and is still measuring out the actual correct dimensions for things like bolt-holes and oil passages and whatnot, it's probably fine. I worry because I've literally seen people make a cardboard mockup of something, scan the cardboard pieces, trace over the outlines in a vector-drawing program, and cut copies on a laser cutter or waterjet, then wonder why the pieces didn't fit together the same way. I wouldn't want the guy modeling the part to take the scan, put a quarter inch circle over the image of a quarter inch hole and go "that's probably where it is, yeah."

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

if you have dowels and pins then you're not going to be able to use a scanner either.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

CaptainViolence posted:

I kinda wondered what the reaction in a pet community might be to the whole dog/sidecar concept, but I guess I figured somebody would end up not being happy about it ... probably why I posted here and not in PI :v:

I actually just started working with these two (literally my first assignment was to research blogs that might be interested in promoting this Kickstarter), so I can't say for sure where they drew up much of anything in the budget outline. Last we talked, they were having some problems with the place they've been going through for their previous film* and they were looking into alternate solutions. I can ask next time I talk to them.

My quick market analysis is that it's not doggy enough to appeal to dog owners and not motorcycle'y enough to appeal to riders. Best of luck to them, make sure you cash their checks quickly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

echomadman posted:

if you have dowels and pins then you're not going to be able to use a scanner either.

Dowels and pins can be removed :ssh:

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Top case recommendations? I have a 2008 versys I want to at least put a top case big enough to fit a helmet without looking too goofy.

The only thing I've found that looks like it actually mounts decently is a gigi setup which would be like $200 for the mounting hardware alone.

Are there any other options? Ideally it would be something I could also add on side hard cases to down the line, which the gigi mono* stuff seems to do.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Kappa uses the same mounting system as givi but are generally cheaper. I got a kappa top box mount plate and givi side racks but use all givi boxes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gillingham posted:

Are there any other options?

Not cheaper, if you want hard luggage. Go used, look at eBay, fleamarket on advrider.com, Craiglist, etc. I think you can also get top box only racks for cheap, then add side racks later. If you get one used case here and one there, you can buy a set of lock cylinders later to make them all work with the same key.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, well, if he's just using it to model the general shape of the casing, and is still measuring out the actual correct dimensions for things like bolt-holes and oil passages and whatnot, it's probably fine. I worry because I've literally seen people make a cardboard mockup of something, scan the cardboard pieces, trace over the outlines in a vector-drawing program, and cut copies on a laser cutter or waterjet, then wonder why the pieces didn't fit together the same way. I wouldn't want the guy modeling the part to take the scan, put a quarter inch circle over the image of a quarter inch hole and go "that's probably where it is, yeah."

Yeah the guy who does this just uses it to get those "organic" curves endemic to vintage, hand cast engine casings. He's probably the most talented machinist I've ever met, does everything from adapting a flywheel for my grandads out-of-production chainsaw all the way to prototype work for aerospace R&D. He's even really reasonable on his rates. The only problem is that he's in such demand that you can never get anything done.

He also has the only waterjet cutter for 200 miles, and it is just an astounding piece of machinery. I got him to cut out life size silhouette targets of safari animals from shutter ply for a stag party I organised, it took minutes.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Dowels and pins can be removed :ssh:

So we're back to being able to use ink again like i originally said.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Ola posted:

Not cheaper, if you want hard luggage. Go used, look at eBay, fleamarket on advrider.com, Craiglist, etc. I think you can also get top box only racks for cheap, then add side racks later. If you get one used case here and one there, you can buy a set of lock cylinders later to make them all work with the same key.

If you do this make sure either A) the racks you buy are both still available, or B) the first rack is comparable with another rack from a different manufacturer who's is available.
I bought the Givi tail rack for my Sv650 with plans to buy the Givi side racks later. They are not (or were not) available for sale and didn't work with any other side racks. I was able to fab up some Klr racks but it wasn't any cheaper and I wouldn't want that again.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gillingham posted:

Top case recommendations? I have a 2008 versys I want to at least put a top case big enough to fit a helmet without looking too goofy.

The only thing I've found that looks like it actually mounts decently is a gigi setup which would be like $200 for the mounting hardware alone.

Are there any other options? Ideally it would be something I could also add on side hard cases to down the line, which the gigi mono* stuff seems to do.

Happy Trail has a Versys Givi topcase mount for $160. http://www.happy-trail.com/Kawasaki-Versys-06-09/GIVI-FZ447-Top-Case-Mount-Hardware-Versys.aspx - HT also makes a "SU" (structurally unique) pannier rack, which enhances structural strength of your subframe and supports whatever you want to mount to it.

Ventura makes a rack that you could put just about anything on with the right combination of accessories and creativity. http://www.ventura-mca.com/fitments/Kawasaki/1105-versys_kle650_caf.aspx maybe pair a Ventura rack with a Pelican case or something.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 7, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
What size o2 sensor socket do I need to pull the sensor out of a Street Triple?

I got the loving torque specs, but this manual seems to assume I already have the correct tools.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

PadreScout posted:

What size o2 sensor socket do I need to pull the sensor out of a Street Triple?

I got the loving torque specs, but this manual seems to assume I already have the correct tools.

Can't you just use an open ended wrench? That's what I used, iirc.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Z3n posted:

Can't you just use an open ended wrench? That's what I used, iirc.

Nah, I only have some bullshit metric wrench kit and it only goes to 11, pretty sure its too small.

I also want to torque it proper since its just one socket and I have the torque wrench and all, no reason not to at least try to do it all by the numbers.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Good excuse to run to Sears for a shiny new tool!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Jesus christ.

Even the triumph dealership is like " gently caress if we know. We couldn't tell you without looking at it. Just stick sockets on it until you find one that fits"

The point of the exercise being I don't have anything that fits and that's why I'm trying to ask someone.

This makes me want to have the other dealership perform my valve adjustments when that comes up.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

PadreScout posted:

Nah, I only have some bullshit metric wrench kit and it only goes to 11

That's one louder

PadreScout posted:

Jesus christ.

Even the triumph dealership is like " gently caress if we know. We couldn't tell you without looking at it. Just stick sockets on it until you find one that fits"

This makes me want to have the other dealership perform my valve adjustments when that comes up.

Welcome to the joyous world of European bike ownership.

Your best bet is TriumphRAT or finding a YouTube vid of someone doing the exact same thing. TriumphRAT would probably have the answer for you within 24 hours.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Even the most basic of vernier calipers are good enough to pay for themselves saving you a single mistake with a weird bolt.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Even the most basic of vernier calipers are good enough to pay for themselves saving you a single mistake with a weird bolt.

With one weird bolt...

Anyways, you'd need a special socket anyways cause of the pigtail on the bolt, so why not just get a set of those adjustable wrench vicegrips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Yeah, I'm going to go get a good crescent wrench, be careful with it. It'll be fine. It wont be torqued right, but I'm fairly positive "25 fig newton meters" is roughly: "snug, but don't shower down on it"

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 7, 2014