Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I needed a break from Ring Runner after hitting a mission that is sheer bullshit, so

Complete: The Swapper

This game is short - I did it in four hours, using a guide for the secret log locations but doing everything else legit - but really, really good. I got it in the HIB but would not have regretted paying full price for it. Highly recommended. If asked to sum it up I would describe it as "Dead Space, but as a pure puzzle game and better in every respect."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Another week - another load a junk. I've been attacking my backlog by scanning through my list of games I've never installed and purposefully picking ones that look like they'll bore the crap out of me. So far, I'm pretty good at it. Combine this with a vow to stop buying poo poo bundles, and someday I may actually get the backlog back under 100 titles. Maybe.

Dream Pinball 3D
Garbage on it's own. When compared to Zen's FX2 or The Pinball Arcade it's almost a war crime. Pure unadulterated pinabll poo poo. Another proud member of the exclusive "Never playing this poo poo" category.

Gnomoria
Not my thing. Not my thing at all. Steam says I played for 6 minutes. It was like a blind date that just went horribly wrong. HWP my rear end.

Grotesque Tactics : Evil Heroes / GT2 : Dungeons and Doughnuts

I don't know how these got on my account. They look dumb. They seem dumb. I'd bet they are dumb. It's not like I gave them much of a chance. Seemed to be some low rent RPG type thing, but one character was a wise cracking rear end in a top hat with shades. Like you run into Duke Nukem in the Diable universe or something. Get the gently caress out of here. A rare case where I tired one and nulled the sequel without even running it. Oh. And the store pages even mention that they're turn based. Not my thing at all.

Legends of Dawn
Holy poo poo. Holy holy poo poo. Metascore of 29. I defy you to find a game with a score that low that doesn't suck balls. It's not this one. I've never encountered a Diablo clone that made me want to quit as fast as this. The opening scene involved you being on a dock talking to a guy next to a ship. He says you need to get your equipment from a crate on the ship. There's a big gently caress off wide ramp leading onto the fucker, and it somehow took me a couple minutes to navigate onto the boat. In the end, I wasn't even able to walk up the ramp. I had to click 1000 times, got my guy half way up the ramp, and then glitch walked along the railing of the ship until the game decided to finally push me off the railing onto the deck of the boat. Then I got my sword. Then the NPC told me to go to town and buy him a beer. Then I uninstalled.

Neighbors From Hell / NFH2
Another case of something just not being my cup of tea. I can kinda understand how someone would like these. Would probably help to be 13 though. 10 years old and showing it's age. Frankly, the graphics reminded me of Bad Rats. Never a compliment. Another case of nulling one and saying no to the sequel without trying it. Don't think I've missed much.

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
Side scrolling retro graphics Oregon Trail shooting game? Just didn't click for me. Not going to call it a bad game or anything. I'm sure a lot of people like it. Plenty of good reviews and all.

Wasteland Angel
Balls. I really enjoyed Renegade Ops. This looked similar in a way. Top down twin stick shooter with cars. Unfortunately they forgot the parts that are fun. And somehow made the controls suck. Played through the tutorial and up to the first boss. Just not that fun at all. Oh. And after the first boss, for some reason things went first person for a bit. But the graphics were terrible. Just a mess of a game.

Worms Revolution / Worms Ultimate Mayhem
Two more Worms games. Two more Worms games nulled. I guess I really don't get this franchise. One of these was 3D this time. It still sucked. All I have left is Armageddon. Goons seem to say it's the one that doesn't suck. I have my doubts, but I did save it for last.

Cook, Serve, Delicious!
I don't know what to think. I know goons like it. And it's not like it wasn't fun, but it just wasn't fun enough to make me want to play that much. Odd in that "Papers, Please!" way. Is this a game, or a work simulator? I've never been a line cook, but if I had been I would never want to play this thing. May mess with it at some point, but away it goes for now.

Gas Guzzler Extreme
Car racing with weapons. I'm a sucker for it. New enough that the graphics are nice. Like Flatout Ultimate Carnage with guns. Played through the single player campaign and finished it. No real interest in online play. Didn't even look to see if there's a community for it.

InFlux
Installed assuming I would null within minutes. Ended up playing for 4 hours total and beating the game. Simple enough 3D puzzle thing. You control a sphere of sorts, rolling around some decent looking areas, eventually ending up in some puzzles. None of the puzzles are that hard, but just interesting enough to keep you going. Kinda annoying floaty controls, and a few parts are frustrating because of it, but a nice little indie game.

Musaic Box
See above. Expected insta-null turned into 2 hours of enjoyable gameplay. Little hidden object game meets music based spacial puzzles. Total bundle fodder, but pretty enjoyable time waster.

Currently working my way through Aliens Vs. Predator, Face Noir, and Rochard. I'm actually running lowish on games that I'll clearly despise. Operation "Get that poo poo out of here" is working. It's boring and tedious, but it's working. "Uninstalled - Not Played" category down to 176 titles.

Edit - I'm on a crap roll.

Just consider the following nulled in the last two hours for being various degrees of lovely and or games that don't appeal to me at all.

Iron Brigade
King's Bounty: Legions
King's Bounty: Warriors of the North
Mortal Kombat Kollection
UFO: Afterlight

Make the number above 171 instead.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 23, 2014

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

I have finally made some progress after months of just playing a f2p game. I beat Gundemonium Recollection. It's not revolutionary by any stretch but it's a fun bullet hell game. The final boss is a pretty intense fight and I liked the music. There are a limited number of lives and no mid-stage continues but it's not a particularly hard game, at least not at the levels I was playing. I didn't bother trying the hardest difficulty level because I'm not that good at these games and I don't have the patience to work my way through it. For the record I could never beat Jamestown's final boss and I made it through this game without too much difficulty outside of a couple boss fights, so if you're looking for a kinda casual shooter with good music this one would be alright.

I've also been working on getting all the trophies and doing all tendency quests and then finishing all eight new game+ modes for Demon's Souls. Because I am insane I am (probably) not going to dupe anything, if only because in the course of finishing the game eight times I will probably get all the stones I need without even trying. The only exception might be pure bladestone because I also don't plan on farming that one skeleton so if I make it to ng+8 and still don't have it I'll just say gently caress it. That's a long way off though as I'm only just nearing the end of regular new game.

I also had some real hosed up poo poo go down IRL late last year and so, as I always do when life sucks, I dove head first into a competitive game and put all of my available time towards becoming good at it. 400 hours later I feel I'm pretty good at War Thunder but I've been scaling back on playing it lately. It's still a lot of fun and the tanks beta seems cool from what I've played of it but spending 30 hours a week playing one game is probably a bad idea, especially when I have 1500 games I should probably play at some point. In addition to helping keep my mind off real life poo poo it also kept me from buying anymore games during the Steam winter sale so it hasn't been all bad.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I beat Deadlight a while back and don't think I posted here. I actually liked it, minus the disappointing ending. Controls handled well, I didn't mind having to use a gun in the last level, and I got my money's worth out of it. The game looked good and I liked the style of it.

I also completed Far Cry 3. 100% done, found all the relics, and it took me 42 hours. It was fun, but holy poo poo, what a terrible story. The missions were fun, but the writing was just not good. It was fun as an open world dick around simulator, but do not play this game for the story.

I also picked up Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning after it finally went on sale. I've been wanting to play this for a while but refused to pay full price. I know I'm also going to pick up the expansion for Diablo 3 when it comes out. I'll be playing Mirror's Edge in the mean time.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Finally finished XCOM: Enemy Unknown. In my first game, I lost of a couple of important council countries early on, and I never really recovered, so by the time I discovered the cloaked UFO I was horribly unprepared. The second time around went much better, the occasional moment of impotent rage against the loving piece of poo poo RNG notwithstanding. The basic gameplay is pretty solid, and the random battles were actually fun (the few non-random levels, not so much), but this has got to be the buggiest game I played in... poo poo, the last five years maybe? The first time I attempted the final mission, one of my soldiers got stuck in the single-tile wide corridor leading up to the final room because of some weird bug, and I couldn't bring the rest of my squad up. The second time around, the game decided to make up for it with another bug, where the final boss wouldn't spawn its henchmen, making the final fight a piece of cake. Might give the expansion a try when there's a good deal.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Nulled:
Takedown: Red Sabre - Godawful game, even just idling for cards was too much time to spend on this game.

Completed:
Finished my marathon of Batman: Arkham Asylum. Spectacular game and great fun. I'll try to beat the challenges to 100% it.

Still playing:
Guacamelee
Trine (for 100%)

Will start up (I believe both of these are short games, and will contribute to shrink my backlog by 2 quick points):
Finding Teddy
Costume Quest
Oniken (with a borrowed DS3 controller, instead of the awful 360 controller D-pad, yay!)

EDIT: Added Will start up: Oniken and Nulled: Takedown: Red Sabre

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 25, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

From Earth posted:

Finally finished XCOM: Enemy Unknown. In my first game, I lost of a couple of important council countries early on, and I never really recovered, so by the time I discovered the cloaked UFO I was horribly unprepared. The second time around went much better, the occasional moment of impotent rage against the loving piece of poo poo RNG notwithstanding. The basic gameplay is pretty solid, and the random battles were actually fun (the few non-random levels, not so much), but this has got to be the buggiest game I played in... poo poo, the last five years maybe? The first time I attempted the final mission, one of my soldiers got stuck in the single-tile wide corridor leading up to the final room because of some weird bug, and I couldn't bring the rest of my squad up. The second time around, the game decided to make up for it with another bug, where the final boss wouldn't spawn its henchmen, making the final fight a piece of cake. Might give the expansion a try when there's a good deal.

I managed to get my sniper stuck in the ceiling of the room leading up to the final boss, which made that fight aggravatingly difficult.

Also, if you think the RNG is a total rear end in a top hat in XCOM:EU, you should play the original. :devil:

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, if you think the RNG is a total rear end in a top hat in XCOM:EU, you should play the original. :devil:

I've tried on more than one occasion, but I just cannot deal with that UI.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The original game has actual ballistics so if you're next to an alien you're practically guaranteed to hit. You can technically miss but still hit an enemy so your actual to-hit percentage is much higher than perceived. I hope they make a sequel with a more advanced ballistics system. Last strategy game I played where the impact of weapons feels right was Silent Storm where stray bullets rip apart the terrain.

But your team starts out garbage which is why they give you so many guys to work with. If Enemy Unknown's rookies are SWAT recruits then UFO Defense's rookies are mall guards.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 25, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

al-azad posted:

The original game has actual ballistics so if you're next to an alien you're practically guaranteed to hit. You can technically miss but still hit an enemy so your actual to-hit percentage is much higher than perceived. I hope they make a sequel with a more advanced ballistics system. Last strategy game I played where the impact of weapons feels right was Silent Storm where stray bullets rip apart the terrain.

But your team starts out garbage which is why they give you so many guys to work with. If Enemy Unknown's rookies are SWAT recruits then UFO Defense's rookies are mall guards.
You could also bring anywhere from 10 to 28 of them depending on your ship, though. (I think my "wave of rookies with laser rifles" playstyle was why I never managed to beat the original.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages

Picked this up from GOG for a toonie and easily got my money's worth; it's a fun top-down space shooter with a great deal of customization and variety in ship hulls and missions. My biggest complaint about it is that the ending falls extremely flat; in the last chapter, all your efforts to track down Solipso and all of the clues you've put together about his activities are rendered completely irrelevant, and you spend the last missions of the game tracking down and killing a villain whose existence was barely hinted at throughout the game and whose motivations are completely unexplained. It kind of feels like they were going somewhere completely different with the storyline and then didn't have time to finish it properly, so they just killed off everyone but the player character and then threw in a boss to wrap things up.

The game leading up to that was pretty fun, though!

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Oh god I'm terrible at not expanding my backlog. All of these games were bought since my last update. :ohdear:

Completed: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Original AC2 isn't bad per se, but Brotherhood feels tighter somehow. You're stuck in Rome for most of the game, get access to the entire map not terribly far in, and there aren't hundreds of feathers that aren't marked on the map (there are Borgia flags hidden in the dungeons instead). And the endgame contains actual gameplay instead of fist-fighting the Pope.

The series fatigue everyone talks about regarding Revelations actually set in for me halfway through Brotherhood. I've had a long break from murder simulating now, maybe I'll tackle Revelations soon.

Completed: Hotline Miami

Okay, not that long of a break. This was a blast. I died lots but that's okay because it throws you back into the game quickly enough. I got the secret ending and everything too.

Completed: Saints' Row the Fourth

Played the free weekend, got completely hooked, bought the game to keep playing. Sadly the minigames in this one are kind of mediocre - at least Saint's Row 3 had Professor Genki's gameshow. Everything else is great though.

Completed: Binary Domain

IT HAS A FRENCH COWBOY ROBOT EVERYBODY GO BUY THIS NOW NOW NOW! Controls are a bit weird - clearly adapted from a console game and non-standard on the default keyboard setup. Have fun reloading with the middle mouse button. :wtc: Also everybody recommends turning off voice recognition because it hardly works - I didn't even attempt it, it'd require setting up a mic in the first place.

That said, the shooting is drat fun. I might go back to do this at higher difficulties and try for the best ending.

Nulled: Grand Theft Auto 1, 2 and 3

Sorry games, you're just too old and terrible. And Saints' Row 3/4 spoiled me.

Now playing: Too many drat games favorited to list.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Nulled:
Avencast: Rise of the Magician: Got it for free through GMG. Clunky, unpolished and bad. Not fun at all, feels like a chore to play. Not recommended.

Completed:
Ultionus: Very short, but surprisingly fun. It seems the developer will add to it later, although not in the foreseeable future, will definitely play it more then. I still have to get the "good" ending, so I'll continue playing to get that, and maybe to 100% it. Recommended on a sale, because it's so short. With more content it would be worth the full price.

Still playing:
Guacamelee
Finding Teddy
Costume Quest
Oniken
Trine (for 100%)
Batman (for 100%)
Ultionus (for 100%)

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
COMPLETED: The Swapper, on recommendation from ToxicFrog and a few others. I really liked the SF aspects and the way the gimmick works into the plot. I had a little trouble buying that the results would be as controversial in the way the characters who argue in the backstory apparently treated it. Come on, Dennett, husk-copies vanish on contact with the original and you can change which copy is an 'original' on the fly. There's something being transferred. That said, it's also pretty clear that the other side's model of how things work is, at best, incomplete, though also clearly workable under certain sets of constraints.

gently caress the secret rooms, though. And I say this as someone who got every achievement in Knytt Underground, and only used spoilers to find two of them.

I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS: Starseed Pilgrim, Beatbuddy, Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall. By policy, games that I acquire without explicitly purchasing them are not part of my backlog until I decide to start playing them and conclude that I wouldn't be nulling them. I don't expect to neglect these forever, and Starseed Pilgrim in particular has been on my radar for awhile. The release of Dragonfall also coincides with a major patch to Shadowrun Returns proper. I've been holding off on playing it until that patch hit, so it's going up in my priority list.

It came just a little too late, though, because my RPG bug bit a little early:

NOW PLAYING: Might & Magic 7: For Blood and Honor. Some people call this the best in the series. So far it's Might & Magic 6 with a more carefully managed earlygame structure - which is to say, it's a promising start. I'll probably have some shorter B-games on the side while I work through this.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I'm about to null the original Bioshock. I'm at the 4th chapter of 16 according to a walkthrough (I just obtained the grenade launcher) and I find it too clunky to continue. The shooting doesn't feel good and you can't use too much plasmids, the story didn't pull me in and although the atmosphere is cool enough, it got samey fast. Strange thing is that I loved Infinite and completed it in 3-4 days. Does it get better, or is it gonna be freeze-and-wrench for 5-6 more hours?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cable posted:

I'm about to null the original Bioshock. I'm at the 4th chapter of 16 according to a walkthrough (I just obtained the grenade launcher) and I find it too clunky to continue. The shooting doesn't feel good and you can't use too much plasmids, the story didn't pull me in and although the atmosphere is cool enough, it got samey fast. Strange thing is that I loved Infinite and completed it in 3-4 days. Does it get better, or is it gonna be freeze-and-wrench for 5-6 more hours?
I'll have to double check, but I think you are very, very close to getting the bee plasmid. Everything else about the game pales in comparison that very soon, you will be able to deal with whatever you want my shooting bees out of your hands. (Except Big Daddies, they give the expected lack of fucks.)

Edit Turn the difficulty down to Easy, or turn off Vita-Chambers. With a high difficulty, but Vita-Chambers, there's no challenge, just dying pointlessly over and over again.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 28, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Cable posted:

Too bad, but understandable. I loved both the original Bioshock and Bioshock 2 (haven't tried Infinite yet), and had a blast fighting my way through with every gun/toy/plasmid I could get my hands. I would guess The Leper Colon V is right on the money with the bee plasmid, but it's been too long since I played it, so I can't remember. But just writing about it makes me want to play Bioshock 1/2 again.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Stuff I played in February:

-Beaten-

Ravensword: Shadowlands - port of a phone game, got it in the January IndieGala bundle. Nothing spectacular, expected to null it, but it kept me playing to the end, short though. Not worth the full asking price.

Driftmoon - This was a neat little indie RPG that you can tell was a labor of love. Simplistic combat but the exploration and dialogue was good.

Trine 2 - I enjoyed the original but barely remember it. I had also forgotten that I had this in my backlog. It's a gorgeous game, controls really well, and I like that there are multiple ways to get past a puzzle/obstacle, but there were a few I was hung up on for longer than I would have liked.

-Nulled-

Droid Assault - I actually played an hour of this last summer and thought it was decent. Opened it up this month and it looks like the game was updated and my save file was gone. Don't really feel like going through it again.

Jolly Rover - Old bundle game. Meh. Not my thing.

The Baconing - I like a good action-RPG. This isn't one. Tries too hard to be funny and everything about the game just seems convoluted.

Superbrothers: Swords and Sworcery EP - Not really doing it for me (most of the "adventure" games I have were part of bundles and not things I would be buying on their own).

Gridrunner Revolution - Typically insane Jeff Minter shoot-em-up. Enjoyable for about 45 minutes, didn't feel like there was much to it to continue playing.

Puzzle Chronicles - Clones of popular games (Puzzle Quest, in this instance) can be interesting or good sometimes, but if I'm playing yours for 15 minutes and all it's making me think is "I want to go back and play the one this is ripped off from," you hosed up.

Sol Survivor and Anomaly: Warzone Earth - Think I got these in some bundles - I didn't think they were bad games, but after slogging my way through Defense Grid a few years ago, I decided tower defense is not really my favorite genre.

Terraria - It's funny, I bought this the day it originally came out on Steam, and in the ensuing three years or so played it for like 30 minutes at a time before thinking "I don't really like this." Gave it another go, and this time I actually put about eight hours into it. Now I'm definitely sure I don't like it.

Kung Fu Strike - I liked the art style and fighting against multiple opponents is fun...and then they pit you against bosses that demand nearly 100 precision to beat. Even knocking the difficulty down to easy didn't help in that regard. Got tired of that.

-Played-

Starbound - Oddly enough, whereas I eventually put Terraria down, I really like this one better. Played for a while, going to pick it up again eventually once more work is done on it.

Mount & Blade: Warband - Really thought this was fun, but felt like I was just scratching the surface and I wanted to keep moving. Definitely coming back to it later.

UnEpic - Not entirely sure how I feel about this one. It was okay for the first few hours and then started to feel really repetitive. Didn't dislike it enough to null it but wanted to move on, will probably come back to it at some point.

Drox Operative - Welp, so much for the backlog - got this in the latter half of the month when it came out on Steam and it's all I've played since, I can't put it down. A really neat combination of action-RPG and 4X.

Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - The first one was cheesy but enjoyable, this is exactly more of the same (different maps, some new zombie types). It actually manages to be decently creepy, just as the first was, through some great sound design.

DarkStar One - I bought this way back and couldn't play it on my old computer with Vista, the game apparently has issues running on some more recent Windows setups. Running just fine on my laptop. It's a nice-looking game, but the story is boring, the voice acting is atrocious, and the combat is meh. Just seems kind of dull, going to probably give it another hour or so to see if it grows on me or if there's something I'm not getting about it.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed - Thomas Was Alone: This was a simple, fun platformer with a good storyline. I like the minimalist design, and the narration was fantastic. Super easy to 100%.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Small World 2 has completely derailed playing anything else for now.

:smith:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Now playing:
:darksouls: Yup.. I can forget about my backlog for a while.
I'm easily scared but the game has non random enemy placement for the most part so once I get scared a bit once I can handle it, it's actually making me less scared of jump scares.

[u]Everyday Genuis: Squarelogic[u]: I used to own this game, and thanks to Fart of Presto I own it again, it's like digital puzzle crack.

I'm also slowly grinding out achievements in Beat Hazard, found some cool music for it again.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
In the end I kept up playing Bioshock and you were right guys, it suddenly gets better bc you start getting plasmids and weapons at a faster rate past the 4th-5th chapter. I've just beaten it with the good ending.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Cable posted:

In the end I kept up playing Bioshock and you were right guys, it suddenly gets better bc you start getting plasmids and weapons at a faster rate past the 4th-5th chapter. I've just beaten it with the good ending.

Happy to hear it. I started playing 1 and 2 again because of your post and because I've never tried the Minerva's Den DLC.

EDIT: In other news, just 100% Ultionus. A very short but entertaining game, and reminiscent of Amiga classics (I think it's a remake of Phantis which was only released in Spain in its time).

EDIT 2: Finally 100%ed Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 5, 2014

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Beat: Batman: Arkham Origins.

I beat the story and all of the criminals, including unlocking Enigma's secret room by collecting every extortion pack. Didn't resort to a guide or Google once, something I hope to keep up in the future.

I don't understand the relatively poor reception this game got, seemed to be a 7/10 reception so I was expecting something a lot poorer than City. What I got was very similar, sure, but it told a good tale and did pretty much everything right. It didn't quite hit City's highs and when it tried to ape previous games it fell a bit flat. Venom Bane wasn't as fun to fight as Mr Freeze and Deathstroke wasn't as fun as Ra's al Ghul.

My biggest disappointment was with Enigma. The guy is insufferable and finally getting your hands on him in City was one of the highlights of the whole thing. I found every last one of his datapacks only to find that he wasn't hiding behind his secret door, but instead keeping a Riddler Trophy. Nice call forward but still, I wanted a bit more for my considerable effort.

Also, when you're rounding up some of the Blackgate escapees, one of the exchanges when Batman is hanging one over a drop is outstanding.
Criminal: Jingle bells...haha...Batman smells
Batman: NO
Batman promptly drops him.

It took me about 26 hours/3 weeks and I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't try the practice/predator maps, you need to be perfect and I'm not great at brawlers. It looked great at 1440p and my 7950 Boost easily handles full settings, PhysX apart.

Onto Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance after this which is ludicrous and I love it, lack of 1440p support aside.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 5, 2014

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I enjoyed Origins far more than Arkham City, a lot of it had to do with the fast travel system and tighter side quests. It's harsh feedback was down to all the bugs that plagued it early on.

I think the best advice is if there is a game you want to play that has gotten a poor score, wait a few months before playing it, it often gets better over time.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Thats a major thing with gaming nowadays in general, While first impressions can indeed be bad and a majority of games never fix their bugs there are also a lot of games that patch out the most severe issues.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy is a weird example of this, at the start there was a tonne of game breaking bugs that would make it a chore to play. The devs really went with their fans comments and issues and ironed out the problems. It's not perfect, but at least it's trying.

X-Rebirth however needs to be patched badly. It's pretty much unpayable at the moment. :smith:

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Just to get it out of the way:

Completed and 100%'d:
Ultionus: It was hell getting the Pink Wizard achievement - or so I thought. Turns out that "not letting an enemy slip away before the Level 3 boss, didn't mean "if you let one slip away at level 0, 1, 2, or 3; start over". It meant JUST for level 3. The developer even rewrote the text for the achievement after I asked about it in a thread :)

Batman: Arkham Asylum: God drat, those last challenges were hell on earth. I struggled for two days to get the last combat achievement, which requires getting 50,000 points. I just had to get it, you know, because OCD. Otherwise it's the best game I've played in ages.

Still playing:
Guacamelee
Finding Teddy
Costume Quest
Oniken
Trine (for 100%)
Bioshock
Bioshock 2

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I've bought only one new game since November, and I finished it right after I got it so that's good.

COMPLETED: CastleStorm + all DLC. A fun little game; best described as a cross between Angry Birds and the flash game Age of War. It is very repetitive though.

COMPLETED: Mass Effect III + all DLC. After playing it, I agree with the people who call it 30 hours of awesome finished off by 10 minutes of drooling stupidity. I was really enjoying myself until the Catalyst appeared. As for the DLC: From Ashes was excellent because it gave us Javik, Leviathan was probably the best (I'm a huge lore sperg), Omega was strangely insubstantial given how long it is, and Citadel really didn't match the rest of the game, in my opinion.

COMPLETED: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning: Teeth of Naros. I'm unsure how to describe this DLC; I don't feel like I got overcharged or ripped-off, and yet it still feels like there was something major missing from it.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty IV: Modern Warfare. It's the best Call of Duty I've played so far. The plot strayed a little further into Hollywood action movie territory than I'd like, though.

BEATEN: Game Dev Tycoon. Far too frustrating to enjoy, as it goes out of its way to hide the mechanics from you. The result is a game that comes across as one where failure and success are completely up to random chance. I didn't like it.

BEATEN: Teleglitch: Die More Edition. Yet another roguelike, mostly generic. Maybe I didn't play enough of it to really get what it's about, but I wasn't having fun with it.

COMPLETED: Codename Gordon. A boring 2D sidescroller, the only interesting thing about it is its status as a sort of Steam easter egg.

Up next is a playthrough of Disciples I and II.

One last thing: Who else in this thread actually bothers to give their games reviews and star ratings on Backloggery? I'm wondering if I'm the only one.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat: Borderlands 2 - The main game, at least. Much like the first game, this one is much better when playing in a group. Doing all of the sidequests definitely helps you level appropriately for the main story quests. We started the Tiny Tina DLC as well, which is pretty amazing so far.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

EightDeer posted:

COMPLETED: Call of Duty IV: Modern Warfare. It's the best Call of Duty I've played so far. The plot strayed a little further into Hollywood action movie territory than I'd like, though.

I'd say if you enjoyed this, I think it would be worth following up with Modern Warfare 2. Its a direct sequel plotwise. That's about it as Call of Duty is concerned.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

EightDeer posted:

Up next is a playthrough of Disciples I and II.
There's no reason to play the first; the gameplay is similar I guess, but the second one looks much better, and has like half a dozen expansions worth of content.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'd say if you enjoyed this, I think it would be worth following up with Modern Warfare 2. Its a direct sequel plotwise. That's about it as Call of Duty is concerned.

I've been playing them in release order, so World at War is up next for me. I'll be looking forward to MW2 after that, though.

pigdog posted:

There's no reason to play the first; the gameplay is similar I guess, but the second one looks much better, and has like half a dozen expansions worth of content.

I've already played the first, I'm just replaying it now. It seems to me like DI has far smoother animation than DII; that could just be because DII doesn't like Win8.1.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

EightDeer posted:

One last thing: Who else in this thread actually bothers to give their games reviews and star ratings on Backloggery? I'm wondering if I'm the only one.

I occasionally add one or two lines on how long it took me to beat and what I thought of it, but nothing in depth. I don't use the star ratings.

I beat Mirror's Edge. I liked the running stuff, did not like the parts where I was getting shot at. Overall not a deal breaker, but I had to drop the difficulty from normal to easy on the last two levels so I could survive long enough. The colors/style were pretty cool and it was nice to look at while playing. Made it through the whole thing without firing a shot except when I used the sniper rifle to shoot the caravan and it was really challenging. I would not play through this again, but if you have it in your backlog, it took me 6-7 hours to beat after restarting certain points 10+ times.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

EightDeer posted:

I will rate the games and sometimes write a review - more for my own recollection than anything else.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I rate most of them, and also adjust personal ratings when I find ones I don't like much anymore.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I got around to giving my games ratings the other week, about 200 with something said about them. But no way am I going to give full reviews, feels likes a waste of time.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
A new batch of games marked as either beaten or nulled.
Just because I null them, doesn't mean they are bad, even though that's most often the case.

Nulled: Angvik
Fun looking platformer that reminds me a bit of Ghost & Goblins. Didn't get very far before I quit, as it just wasn't something that could hold my interest.

Nulled: Avencast
This was probably cool 5-10 years ago, but drat it felt clunky. Looks like a big fantasy action RPG but I couldn't stand more than 20 minutes.

Nulled: Card City Nights
A really fun card game with some great graphics and writing.
I hit a point where I kept losing and honestly couldn't be bothered to try and make a better deck, as card games are just not my thing.

Nulled: Dead Pixels
A zombie brawler.

Nulled: Mars: War Logs
I really, really wanted to like this, as it's one of only two recent scifi RPGs, that are not post apocalyptic (Mass Effect being the other)
But it never really dragged me in and I realized I hadn't played it since mid-September and felt no inclination to start up again.

Nulled: Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge
Even though it's apparently a short game, I got tired of playing this Amiga-look-alike platformer after 15 minutes.

Beat: Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD
AssLib was originally released on some handheld and the PC version got a code and graphics update to bring it up to acceptable levels.
There are *a lot* of flat surfaces, but when you ignore that, the city of New Orleans and its surroundings becomes very much alive.
As usual with the AC series, there is a lot of grinding if you want all the collectables, and this time, you can't just buy a map upgrade. So you need to do a lot of exploring and then do it again and again, as things unlock.
Which is my main critique of AssLib: After the success of and general praise of AssFlag, it really feels like a step back to something between AC3 and AC2. It takes time before side missions and other areas open up and switching between the 3 personas (assassin, slave and lady) is definitely a fun element, but you have no idea how far you've progressed in each personas side missions.
A 22 hour play through got me 86% sync, and unless the next AC iteration is on par with AssFlag, I'll wait until the game goes on sale before getting it, as I'm close to being filled up with AC.

Beat: Shadow Warrior
Wow, this was a really pleasant surprise. I had initially only played this for an hour or so, probably to get cards and do a quick look of the game, and basically forgot all about it.
Going back in, I had a blast playing it (though gently caress that gas mask level), and can definitely recommend it to people who enjoy old school shooters where you are both being led through corridors but also rewarded for exploring.
I would also guess 95% of all my kills were done using the sword - even the beserkers and other minor demons were actually easier to put down as soon as you had a few sword upgrades added compared to using guns and other weapons that unlock during the game.

"Beat": The Yawhg
Just like Monster Loves You, this is a Choose You Own Adventure type of game. The graphics are good, the writing great and the music is superb.
The only problem is when you have done a few run-throughs, you start to recognize some of the actions and pretty soon, it's almost a repeat of a previous game, even though you have up to 4 characters to control.
I still haven't managed to get the poitive ending, and god drat are the "bad" endings depressing. But it's a great game, you should definitely check out during a sale.

I ran through a some of the prototypes from this and last Double Fine Amnesia Fortnight. You can't really beat or null them as most are barely in a playable state and often don't have a real ending anyway. I also went in cold, having not read anything about them.
Autonomous prototype: It looks like a shaky-cam version of a Tron landscape. You also have to assemble robots but I'm not really sure what goes on.
Black Lake prototype: Again, I had no idea what was going on here. 5 minutes later it was uninstalled.
Costume Quest prototype: I loved the finished game and finished both it and its DLC. The prototype had the exact same look, but I accidentally walked out of the world (don't push the boundaries of prototypes) and it crashed.
Dear Leader prototype: This was pretty fun as it was basically you being an East block dictator, issuing orders and being paranoid. Not sure it's Double Fine material but I had fun until I realized there was no more content.
Hack n Slash prototype: I could not get this to work, even though I could start the launcher containing options.
Mnemonic prototype: I honestly can't remember what this was about.
Steed prototype: This was the only prototype I Yes voted, and that was only in the second vote. None of my original preferred ideas got selected for a second round. I am pretty drat sure this ends up as a game from Double Fine. It has the charm, the style, the humor (even the juvenile stuff), the prospect of a great story, and already a pretty awesome fight scene.
The White Birch prototype: Just like Mnemonic, I really can't remember what this was about of if it even worked. I guess it's a good way for DF to test if a game has potential: How long have people been playing the prototypes. This? 2 minutes according to Steam.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Beaten: The Swapper - Beautiful game, and the puzzles were just the right difficulty. Some of the ones later in the game seemed impossible to solve, but then it would suddenly click into place. I did have to look up how to solve two of the puzzles, though. I was on the right track on both of them, but was missing a step. The cloning/swapping mechanic was great, and it was refreshing/frustrating how they left it up to the player to discover all of the uses it has (such as using it to get to really high places). Not sure I fully understand the story (probably because I played large chunks of it while high), but overall, I very much recommend this game.

Nulled: Nox - In my quest to find a decent Diablo-like action game to power through, I tried this one out. Not bad, just really boring (though that may just be because I was playing a fighter character). There's no skill tree, you just unlock a new skill every so often. Monsters are the usual stuff, humanoids and spiders and such. Loot is forgettable. The maps aren't randomly created like in Diablo, but I couldn't even tell, most of them were pretty dull. I dunno, I may come back to this eventually, but I have so many other games I need to play or at least try out.

I've also been working on a stealth no-kill run of the first Dishonored DLC. I've beaten it before, but I wanted to play it again before going on to the second DLC for the first time. I made it through the first level, only to discover somebody along the way spotted me, so I just sped through it again, hardly picking up any items or anything. Then on the second level, I screwed up the non-lethal option and I don't have any saves before the screw-up, so I'm going to have to start it over again as well. Good thing I love this game.

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fart of Presto posted:

I'm working hard on my backlog and showing no mercy when I encounter middle-of-the-road, wishy-washy games with semi lovely graphics, bad stories or just games that might be good, but where I don't really enjoy the genre in general.
:hfive:

I was in NZ for work for the past 3 months so my backlog grew outside some games that would run on a bad laptop and I've finally been playing catch-up with my library.

For all these bundled indie games or otherwise, I used to have the mentality of "well maybe I'll finish these crappy indie games once I clear off the main courses" but nah, not going to happen when I barely have time anymore. I have the money to buy games but now not the time to play them so I pretty much do the same with a 15 minute playtest: Did the game grab me and can I see myself playing it outside the gimmick? Nope--trash it.

It does seem a little unfair and I feel guilty because some of these were at least well made but gently caress it, life is too short to play some mediocre 50 cent bundle game. I've nulled about ~40+ games in the span of 2 weeks so far and it feels good just to toss them in a Trash catagory. A lot of is that I realized though, I really don't like ~indie platformers~, gimmicks or not and I have absolutely zero tolerance for 8bit pixel-art stuff. Also zombie games, gently caress that.

I'll try to do a brief write-up of why later.

On the other hand, games I did beat:
Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance - Bit late to the party but I enjoyed this well enough. VR missions were crap and I think I'm too olde and slow to play this on anything other than normal. Still, it was relatively amusing and didn't take itself seriously and combat was satisfying. Worth the $15 or $20 I spent.

Dishonored: Brigmore Witches - It was kinda weird and a little offputting coming back to this since I played part 1 awhile ago and had an even longer break between the main game and the DLC. But still, really solid DLC and I enjoyed all the new stealth stuff that they added. It'd be interesting to see how the main game would have played out with all the new stuff but I guess we'll just have to wait for Dishonored 2.

Guacamelee - I have a love/hate relationship with this game. On the one hand, art and music are great and I found a lot of the dialog and stuff fairly amusing. But the platforming can suck it and some of the Goat Fly stuff is just absolute bullshit. Combat was mostly samey throughout the whole game too. I didn't find the final boss that hard but god drat gently caress that platforming.

Broken Age Ep 1 - Everything has pretty much been said about this recently. I liked it and the twist was a bit unexpected. Spaceship was more interesting for me puzzle-wise but the girl felt more lively in terms of people-interaction and more amusing. Puzzles really didn't add anything to the game though and I felt like I would probably have enjoyed it just as much to watch someone else play this but :shrug:. Can't wait for the second act.

Marlow Briggs - Pretty cool cheesy 80's cliche b-action movie with God of War gameplay. Enjoyed a lot of the dialog which reminded me of Hoji in Shadow Warrior. Only real complaint is Camera angles got frustrating at times. It was a plesant surprise and definitely recommended for $5 or so when it's on sale.

Wolf Among Us Ep 2 - So loving good :stare:. If you haven't played this game and like Telltale games like The Walking Dead, you owe yourself to play this ASAP.

How to Survive - In retrospect, I wish I hadn't finished this game. It wasn't bad and had a kinda interesting crafting system, but it's pretty much just a boring Diablo-like with Zombies with a lot of fetch quests that are mostly running back and forth between the same islands. It was fairly short at least.

Up on my plate is Remember Me, DmC, Drunken Robot, Outlast, Ethan Meteor Hunter. Also really looking forward to playing AC 4 but I'm going to wait until I play through a bunch of crappy indie games to treat this as a dessert.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 10, 2014