Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tempo 119 posted:

You can't have a problem, you solved all the problems in the entire world.

Counterpoint: Noel's fashion sense still exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Do you get better rewards or something if you beat main quest bosses after day 7 in hard mode? I'm not very good at the game, and some of them gave me enough of a hard time in normal mode that I'm not sure I can be bothered to fight version who have 9 times as many hitpoints or whatever it its.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

Do you get better rewards or something if you beat main quest bosses after day 7 in hard mode? I'm not very good at the game, and some of them gave me enough of a hard time in normal mode that I'm not sure I can be bothered to fight version who have 9 times as many hitpoints or whatever it its.

Luxerion's main boss gives a better weapon if you beat him later, and if you unlock Day 14, the final boss becomes his plus form, with a higher drop rate on his weapon otherwise its just more gil. Bosses don't actually get stronger on Day 7/12/13 like regular enemies do. They have a specific pattern, depending on the boss. For example, Luxerion's boss goes from base 230k HP to 800k hp on Day 7 (then times three for hard mode), but doesn't get stronger on day 12 or 13. The Wildlands boss never gets stronger as time passes, etc.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yusnaan's boss gets stronger after Day 7 and Day 10.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I'm still entitled to be butthurt about it. :colbert:

I still can't find Helter Skelter. I've talked to a bunch of @LRXIII chars or whatever and it hasn't appeared in Outerworld services yet. Anyone know if there's a hidden trigger or specific @LR char to talk to?

Have you checked the Outerworld Rewards section of the rewards barter shop in the menu? I never talked to the LRXIII people specifically about it, but the helter skelter garb was there when I looked.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

abaddonis posted:

Have you checked the Outerworld Rewards section of the rewards barter shop in the menu? I never talked to the LRXIII people specifically about it, but the helter skelter garb was there when I looked.

Yep, I think it's the issue noted above re having not talked to the specific @lrxii char. Looks like I'll have to make up that dummy Facebook account after all (also to grab my own photos).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I love a lot of the little series nods in here. After convincing Biggs and Wedge to stop their little game, they set up a two-man band in Yusnaan and play the FFVI World of Balance theme. :3:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PunkBoy posted:

Yusnaan's boss gets stronger after Day 7 and Day 10.

As does Luxerion's and the Dead Dunes (marginally) on Day 7. Only Yusnaan's has two ++ forms however.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the info guys! Considering the hassle and frustration I got from non-suped up bosses I think I'll just do it when I get to it rather than leaving it til later.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Do 'em on NG+ Hard Mode. They're probably easier than usual because you'll be a murder machine by then.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I am on NG+ hard mode, I'm just scared of getting my rear end kicked and throwing my controller out the window :ohdear:

I cleared both super bosses in normal mode, but only after 3 attempts, reading a guide, and burning through just about every restoration item and ether I owned. I'm just not good at this game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On day 7 onwards you can get level 5 abilities for huge damage boosts over new game's abilities. Extinct the Cactuars for fat stacks of Gil to upgrade your weapons, and don't be afraid to redo the cycle to do it again and again by speaking to the hour glass. Once you have good abilities and good weapons, Aeronite Hard or anything else are just a matter of tweaking strategies, rather than difficult.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Herm, maybe you're right. I have to say on day 2 of NG+2 Hard and the difficulty isn't noticeable. I got to that Zomok that spawns for the quest Luxerion and I took it down in about 20s.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Schwartzcough posted:

I love a lot of the little series nods in here. After convincing Biggs and Wedge to stop their little game, they set up a two-man band in Yusnaan and play the FFVI World of Balance theme. :3:

Where do I find them? Don't think I've seen them anywhere.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Where do I find them? Don't think I've seen them anywhere.

They set up just West of that fireworks launching station between Central Avenue and the path to the industrial area. I found them in the evening sometime.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks! I've already beaten that area's boss but I'll go there if I can find the time.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So I'm taking it that this game isn't all that terrible? Did... someone in Square attempt to put the train back on the rails to limp it home after the wreck?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RadicalR posted:

So I'm taking it that this game isn't all that terrible? Did... someone in Square attempt to put the train back on the rails to limp it home after the wreck?

FFXIII has always had the core of a good combat system there and they basically game it the emphasis this time while doing some weird experimental stuff because they could. The story is still stupid-as-gently caress and the game itself is still fairly janky, but they pulled off a better game than the last two attempts.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
This game give you much more freedom than in the other games of the trilogy. I also got to the part in the Wild Lands where you get a chocobo as both a party member and as a mount that doesn't run away. That's pretty drat great.

The story is stupid as poo poo but there are some so bad-it's-good scenes and Lightning' s deadpan delivery actually sort of works at times.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's weird, because Hills CAN emote, she does it a lot in the Mass Effect games, and I get that Lightning is supposed to be kinda stoic, but god, there's a way to do that without being monotone.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Blame that on the ADR Director, Square games have a history of hiring great VAs that will have awkward delivery, accents, and emoting despite them knowing how to do all of these things. Probably the only FF game that doesn't have awkward voice acting is FFXII and it's loving baffling how that game had a genuinely decent localization yet XIII did not.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's pretty funny how Lightning gives long encouraging speeches to random NPCs but when she meets her old friends she pretty much goes "suck it up". Seriously though, the speeches feel really out of character especially when so far a big pot point is that Lightning is feeling unnaturally detached and distant. She sounds like a different person at several points during the [spoiler] chocobo quest{/spoiler], less monotone, and lighter in tone. It's an improvement, even if the monotone delivery can be pretty funny sometimes. One of her outfists makes her laugh during some attacks which is pretty disturbing. Hearing her laugh, that is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

It's weird, because Hills CAN emote, she does it a lot in the Mass Effect games, and I get that Lightning is supposed to be kinda stoic, but god, there's a way to do that without being monotone.

Sorry, but Liara is not a good example of literally anything. She's just as monotonous and dull in all three Mass Effect games. Jennifer Hale is equally bad as Ali Hillis in Mass Effect, and she's a voice actor who is better than her ME performance suggests. BioWare are just not good.

Except Wrex, naturally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

It's pretty funny how Lightning gives long encouraging speeches to random NPCs but when she meets her old friends she pretty much goes "suck it up". Seriously though, the speeches feel really out of character especially when so far a big pot point is that Lightning is feeling unnaturally detached and distant. She sounds like a different person at several points during the [spoiler] chocobo quest{/spoiler], less monotone, and lighter in tone. It's an improvement, even if the monotone delivery can be pretty funny sometimes. One of her outfists makes her laugh during some attacks which is pretty disturbing. Hearing her laugh, that is.

I have absolutely no idea if it is intentional or not but the feeling I got is that for most people she's acting The Savior and doing what they want to hear and with her friends she's actually try to act like herself. The more likely answer is "bad writing" though.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

As someone mentioned previously in the thread, Lightning's delivery works well in this game as long as you're not taking it seriously. She's the straight-man in a completely ridiculous world.

Aurain posted:

Except Wrex, naturally.

Mordin, Garrus, Javik...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Finished the Chocobo/Poltae/Caius quest line last night. Man that last fight was rough. The strategy guide was just like 'yeah if you can kill the reaver and the protoflorian on the way to the boss you're probably fine', and I had already extincted both of those so I thought I was hot poo poo.

I burned through every single one of my healing items and used two arises. Still got four stars somehow. There's just so much animation to his attacks I had no idea what/when the hell I was supposed to be blocking.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aurain posted:

Sorry, but Liara is not a good example of literally anything. She's just as monotonous and dull in all three Mass Effect games. Jennifer Hale is equally bad as Ali Hillis in Mass Effect, and she's a voice actor who is better than her ME performance suggests. BioWare are just not good.

Except Wrex, naturally.

Agree to disagree, because I do disagree. Quite a bit.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's cool. As long as you agree that Wrex is the best, because he quite clearly is the best.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I have absolutely no idea if it is intentional or not but the feeling I got is that for most people she's acting The Savior and doing what they want to hear and with her friends she's actually try to act like herself. The more likely answer is "bad writing" though.

Making strangers feel better about themselves is literally her life's purpose. There's at least one quest where she goes through a whole speech, takes the soul, then turns around to Hope and says "wow what a load of poo poo". Her friends deserve nothing but scorn anyway, look at them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tempo 119 posted:

Making strangers feel better about themselves is literally her life's purpose. There's at least one quest where she goes through a whole speech, takes the soul, then turns around to Hope and says "wow what a load of poo poo". Her friends deserve nothing but scorn anyway, look at them.

Yeah, lines that really are why I get that feeling, but sometimes it can be hard to tell what the game is going for.

Refused
Sep 6, 2005
Lightning's definitely at her best when she lets the utter contempt for everyone around her shine through

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
That Luka questline was wildly awkward.

Unrelated, I haven't played this since I beat it, did the next costume for using the online bits get unlocked?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I have heard yes, but I haven't gone and hunted it down yet.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Duelist was unlocked earlier today.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Refused posted:

Lightning's definitely at her best when she lets the utter contempt for everyone around her shine through

Fang had it best when she said to Light, "If you had shouted, 'FANG!' and run up and hug me, I would have thought something was seriously wrong!" (paraphrased)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have to say, I sure love fighting Desert Sahagins. I prefer my framerate under ten so it works out great

But seriously, what the gently caress?? Some sand particle effects slow the game to a crawl???

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
I'm pissed. I played through my NG+, finished all of the main quests, did all but two sidequests (I still had 2 quests to go on my original run) and all of the Canvas quests, but I didn't get the extra day and didn't unlock the ultimate lair.

God damnit.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
If you really did do all but two side quests then you would have unlocked it. How many quests did you do?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I have to say, I sure love fighting Desert Sahagins. I prefer my framerate under ten so it works out great

But seriously, what the gently caress?? Some sand particle effects slow the game to a crawl???

I've heard a bunch of people say this, but I never had the framerate completely tank while fighting them. Are you on Xbox or PS3?

abaddonis posted:

I'm pissed. I played through my NG+, finished all of the main quests, did all but two sidequests (I still had 2 quests to go on my original run) and all of the Canvas quests, but I didn't get the extra day and didn't unlock the ultimate lair.

God damnit.

And when are you? The extra day doesn't unlock until the end of the 12th day, I think, even if you finish everything long before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Schwartzcough posted:

I've heard a bunch of people say this, but I never had the framerate completely tank while fighting them. Are you on Xbox or PS3?

Xbox. I played the first two games on it and wanted the extra bonuses, even though I now own a ps3.

I know the framerate and resolution of FFXIII was poo poo on Xbox compared to ps3, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing is happening here.

• Locked thread