Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I'm gonna keep pulling gas out the ground till the shoreline's at Revelstoke.

Why do I have to re-jet for Rogers Pass? It's near the shoreline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Argh! I dropped my bloody helmet in the changing room at work this morning and all the loving vents and one of the visor mounts snapped off.

I've never even so much as bumped the loving thing in the three years before this :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What sort of helmet is it so I know to never buy one?

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

OSU_Matthew posted:

At this point I'm very seriously contemplating moving... California, Mexico, Texas, Brazil, Vietnam, I don't care anymore! Anywhere I can find a job with beaches and year long riding weather, I'm packing my bags.

You and me both, kid. I've managed to sneak out 3 times since the first of the year. It takes the edge off a little, but it's scary wondering if there's black ice in the shade entering a left-hander, or hitting sand in the apex. I had to do a shitload of icebreaking just to get the driveway less-than-lethal.

I am so very done.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Argh! I dropped my bloody helmet in the changing room at work this morning and all the loving vents and one of the visor mounts snapped off.

I've never even so much as bumped the loving thing in the three years before this :(

I'm assuming you're 8' tall and the floor was made of hammers, right?

That's ridiculous.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Slavvy posted:

What sort of helmet is it so I know to never buy one?

It was a Shark S700. In fairness the floor is concrete and I somehow managed to launch it downwards from head height as I took it off.

To an outside observer it probably looked like I just decided to go ULTIMATE JAZZ HANDS! halfway through taking it off.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
TBH I get a new helmet every 3 years or so anyway so it's that time! Motorcyclegear.com has had some decent deals with the new models coming out but I haven't checked recently.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/

Some cheaper Shoeis and Scorpions. Also the HJC Cl-16 is at bargain prices but I consider it a starter helmet, I don't think I'd get another, even at 70 bucks, tho that's a steal. They're good enough but heavy, the venting isn't great and I had trouble with the visor mounts on one of mine. Tho this one http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/hjc/cl_16_razz_helmet.html looks pretty good....

Oh man I'd totally get this one if it wasn't still priced as a rider's helmet...Cmon Shoei he's been retired like 4 years and wasn't that stunning when he was active tbh. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/shoei/x_twelve_vermeulen_5_helmet.html

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 6, 2014

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Yeah I was planning an upgrade at three end of the year to an Arai, I tried one on at the bike show last year and it was like having my head cuddled by pillows.

Unfortunately I can't justify laying out that kind of cash at the moment so I'm looking at either a Shark Speed-R or an AGV Veloce. I've borrowed a mates helmet for the next couple of days as her bike is in winter hibernation. Who knew that having fairweather friends can occasionally come in useful?!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Motorcyclegear is a great site. I love that they try products on and give (what I assume are relatively) unbiased opinions with photos of themselves wearing the stuff. I've skipped on buying a couple pairs of gloves and "riding" boots because they mentioned the small amount of protection that the things provided.

Also, their prices are great. It's one of the only marketing emails that I click on every time.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Get a Shoei Qwest

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What brands share the same head shape as hjc? HJC's fit me like a glove for my head, but I'd like to step up my build quality game if at all possible.

I am actually a really big hjc fan, but I want to see what else is out there

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What brands share the same head shape as hjc? HJC's fit me like a glove for my head, but I'd like to step up my build quality game if at all possible.

HJC and Shoei are about the same shape but you might need to step up one size in the Shoei. I wear a medium HJC and couldn't even get my head into a medium Shoei. (I was wearing the X12 model)

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've moved to Caberg from HJC, it's worked out quite nicely. Caberg is a much snugger fit though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Overheard yesterday on the streetcar: "Yeah, my (bicycle) frame is cool. I like to keep it totally minimal, no fenders, no extra parts. It's totally lightweight. But I can't carry anything on it at all! Or wear a skirt, because it's a man's frame. It sucks!"

loving hipsters.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

n8r posted:

Get a Shoei Qwest

I probably would do but their patterns are boring as poo poo.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

I've almost acquiesced to the idea of just getting a white helmet and having it painted

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

nsaP posted:

TBH I get a new helmet every 3 years or so anyway so it's that time! Motorcyclegear.com has had some decent deals with the new models coming out but I haven't checked recently.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/

Some cheaper Shoeis and Scorpions. Also the HJC Cl-16 is at bargain prices but I consider it a starter helmet, I don't think I'd get another, even at 70 bucks, tho that's a steal. They're good enough but heavy, the venting isn't great and I had trouble with the visor mounts on one of mine. Tho this one http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/hjc/cl_16_razz_helmet.html looks pretty good....

Oh man I'd totally get this one if it wasn't still priced as a rider's helmet...Cmon Shoei he's been retired like 4 years and wasn't that stunning when he was active tbh. http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/shoei/x_twelve_vermeulen_5_helmet.html

Good reminder, I have an 8 year old HJC which needs to be replaced.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-qwest-prestige-helmet

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how well that sells. Someone who loves freedom that much probably doesn't want a full face helmet.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

hot sauce posted:

I wonder how well that sells. Someone who loves freedom that much probably doesn't want a full face helmet.

I wanted to buy it because I figured that by riding a Buell I'm squarely in the target audience, but they don't sell it here (Europe). I got an even more gaudy USA-themed Suomy instead.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

"Yeah, my (bicycle) frame is cool. I like to keep it totally minimal, no fenders, no extra parts. It's totally lightweight."

I used to (several years ago) have this attitude about my bicycle. Then I realized that I don't give a poo poo about the weight because I'm not riding cyclocross and I weigh 5x as much as the bike anyway. And, amazingly enough, when I have fenders installed I don't get sprayed with mud and poo poo when the roads are wet.

I have been run into from behind TWICE, at two different stoplights on different days, by the same idiot hipster with some lovely old yellow 10-speed with no brakes and a full road chainset that's stuck in a single gear because he took off the derailleurs. Yes, he has a freewheel hub but no friction brakes. I don't loving know.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Why have friction brakes to slow down when he's got the retarding power of irony?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I used to (several years ago) have this attitude about my bicycle. Then I realized that I don't give a poo poo about the weight because I'm not riding cyclocross and I weigh 5x as much as the bike anyway. And, amazingly enough, when I have fenders installed I don't get sprayed with mud and poo poo when the roads are wet.

I have been run into from behind TWICE, at two different stoplights on different days, by the same idiot hipster with some lovely old yellow 10-speed with no brakes and a full road chainset that's stuck in a single gear because he took off the derailleurs. Yes, he has a freewheel hub but no friction brakes. I don't loving know.

I always wondered what the deal was with this weight obsession with cyclists, especially the Tour de Commute ones. Since one of the excuses these people use for not having a motor on their bike is "it's for fitness", surely pushing more weight = more fitness, no?

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Linedance posted:

I always wondered what the deal was with this weight obsession with cyclists, especially the Tour de Commute ones. Since one of the excuses these people use for not having a motor on their bike is "it's for fitness", surely pushing more weight = more fitness, no?
Removing grams from a bicycle is like adding cc's to a motorcycle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Removing grams from a bicycle is like adding cc's to a motorcycle.

It's probably more like removing kilos from a motorcycle, adding cc's is like adding muscle fiber to your legs. I just don't get the argument that it's for speed, because you know what would add a hell of a lot more speed to a bicycle than a few shaved grams and a protein shake for breakfast? A loving motor.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I had a coworker who spent a stupid amount of money on replacing all the steel fasteners on his bicycle with high-grade aluminium or titanium or whatever to shave something like 50 grams total. I reminded him that he'd save more weight just by taking a poo poo every morning.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 7, 2014

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Like every hobby/activity there are a good number of people more interested in what it meant for their ego than getting better. A copper pot doesn't make you any better of a chef but it sure feels like you're definitely made a huge step in the right direction. The bigger the investment the bigger the step.

Just be glad, without people willingly throwing money away at things that don't matter the economy wouldn't exist.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I mean you guys raise good points, heavier bike does equal more fitness, etc. etc. But when you're out of gas huffing up a hill and the spandex is starting to chafe you'll want a bicycle as light as possible.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I really want a bicycle but they seem way too dangerous. :stare:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I really want a bicycle but they seem way too dangerous. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncQsBzI-JHc

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I love my bicycle but I ride it in 'safe' situations, to me. I have friends that brave the city traffic on a bike and I think they're nuts, because I think it's risky enough when I have some horsepower on my right hand. Pedal power? nuts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Making your bicycle lighter helps in the sole situation of "climbing a hill when you yourself are already at the apex of fitness." On flat or slightly hilly ground, or anywhere that you're traveling more than about 8 miles an hour, the air on your body is the #1 source of drag. If you are going really slowly so air resistance isn't a factor, and you're wearing the tightest spandex and have shaved off all your hair, then the next most important factor is your own weight. Take a poo poo before you ride or lose the love handles. Once you're in peak shape and can't lose weight without losing strength, you may start to think about reducing the weight of the vehicle.

And, as with all sports, the rule of thumb is "if you were a good enough athlete that $ridiculously_expensive_sports_equipment would actually make a difference to your performance, your sponsors would already have bought it for you."

*I can forgive cyclocrossers for being weight weenies because part of the race is getting stuck in the mud and having to literally carry the bike out of the obstacle.

e: also, having tires that are underinflated by even like 10 psi or a chain that's improperly lubricated can double the energy you need to expend over a given trip so you'd better be drat sure your bike is also in perfect condition

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFFrsvgu1Y&sns=em

All I can think of.

TheCoconutman fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 7, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I knew what that was before I clicked it, yep.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Things worth spending money on: Seat, tyres, decent pump, basic maintenance.

There are a lot of steps in our town center so having a bike that's light is nice when you're climbing them with it on your shoulder. That said, even a reasonably good chromoly road frame is not that heavy, I even had mud guards and a pannier/luggage rack. I always sprung for good tyres and kept them topped up constantly. It made far more difference to speed and energy used.

Unfortunately my bike got stolen last autumn so now I'm looking to build a period 20s/30s tourer so I can join in some vintage cycle rides.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Z3n posted:

I could go riding today but it's like only 55 degrees and I'd have to put on my heated vest or be a bit cold and that just sounds like a lot of work.

Also my aerostitch is still a bit wet from riding home from gokarting int he rain last night so uh yeah.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

It's 70 and sunny. I'm not going riding because there was a draft in the shade in my backyard and decided instead to stay inside and make barbecue baked chicken breasts.

I'll probably leave at some point if I continue to witness sun and no wisps of clouds but with this SoCal weather you just never know, you know??

Yeah well.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

nsaP posted:

I love my bicycle but I ride it in 'safe' situations, to me. I have friends that brave the city traffic on a bike and I think they're nuts, because I think it's risky enough when I have some horsepower on my right hand. Pedal power? nuts.

I got a bicycle because my commute is short and I thought, hey, I'll pedalbike it and get some exercise

It turns out bicycling in commute traffic is terrifying

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I thought the same thing, then realized I work in what is basically Wisconsin's version of San Francisco and that showing up to work all sweaty sucks.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Snowdens Secret posted:

I got a bicycle because my commute is short and I thought, hey, I'll pedalbike it and get some exercise

It turns out bicycling in commute traffic is terrifying

I had similar visions a couple of years back, but chickened out due to traffic and not wanting to show up all sweaty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

ReelBigLizard posted:

Unfortunately my bike got stolen last autumn so now I'm looking to build a period 20s/30s tourer so I can join in some vintage cycle rides.

Was going to say that's pretty weird you haven't seen it around yet, but I guess they would freight those off real quick.