Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I want gunnerkrigg to be over because I'm an impatient child who wants more more more because it's good stuff. I don't mean to say I want no more pages than Tom needs to finish it, just that I want all of them right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I hope it builds up toward a tragic war related death only for him to be killed by a falling piano.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
Clearly he suffocated on his sheets. Not the brightest bulb in the box.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Seriously hoping Mort died on Halloween dressed up as a ghost.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Tollymain posted:

If you read a thing in one go you have less of an opportunity to appreciate the details. There are a ton of things in the story I wouldn't have noted but for the long road and other serial readers.

I can agree with this as well. Recently, I took a look back through the comic from the point I started reading forward. Turns out that there's a ton of little details that I missed when I read those chapters back when they were new.

For example, the first thing that I noticed was the clever use of perspective on the fourth panel of this strip, where Kat is looking down on the Sky-Watcher through her magnifying glass, with only her left eye visible. I hadn't noticed it at the time, but that panel, and the ones that follow it, really makes her seem like some sort of God. All it took from her was a simple rasp of the Sky-Watcher's antennae and a momentary glance for her to completely comprehend what he was and what he had been designed for. Seeing that single page again was, essentially, enough to remind me of exactly why the Court's robots see her as an angelic figure.

Mind you, her importance to them was clear to me as I was going through the comic update by update after I'd read the first 24 chapters back when I started, but I forgotten the early hints of that significance. If I had just blitzed through the comic in one go, I would very likely still be ignorant to little details like the ones in that example there. For that reason, I've got to agree that reading the comic as it's ongoing is definitely a big benefit to getting the most out of it.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Well i started reading from a page someone linked (again) and I noticed:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=654
Who is that guy in the first panel? Anyone we know? Or is he just some random dude that's there to let the reader know this is a bad plan made by bad people?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Well i started reading from a page someone linked (again) and I noticed:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=654
Who is that guy in the first panel? Anyone we know? Or is he just some random dude that's there to let the reader know this is a bad plan made by bad people?

He's the mysterious Artilleryman after whom Gunner's Crag is named, I think.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It hasn't been confirmed who that is yet, but the Artilleryman is probably the most popular guess.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.
It's clearly Andrew Ryan in a bizarre moment of morality! Just look at the brown suit, it's a dead give away!

... yeah, I've got nothing.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Has this comic really been going on for nine years? I thought it was a three-or-four-year-old comic at least.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Casull posted:

Has this comic really been going on for nine years? I thought it was a three-or-four-year-old comic at least.

April 2005. So nine years.

Time flies when you're having fun, I guess.

Man, it's criminal this comic isn't more recognised. And profitable.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Pretty atmospheric image there, Tom. I bet you could do a whole series like that. The life and death of a character told in images, no words, just your skills as a visual artist. Wouldn't that be great? People would remember it always, they'd say "Hey, remember that chapter where the characters life was displayed in pictures? Man, that was a great chapter."

Do it. Live the dream.

Be the creator you were meant to be

Words are for the weak :unsmigghh: Embrace the new flesh

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Yeah, Tom's comment is probably going to set the tone for this whole chapter. :smith:

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

TurninTrix posted:

Yeah, Tom's comment is probably going to set the tone for this whole chapter. :smith:

Goddamn, that comment :smith:

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

Now I'm going to need an entire chapter on Betty. The comment leaves out a lot of detail.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

BattleCake posted:

Goddamn, that comment :smith:

Funniest thing on the site in months.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

aegof posted:

Well yeah it's definitely funny as well. But drat haha that's brutal.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Is it just me or does Betty look a lot like a very young Elizabeth from Bioshock: Infinite?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Morty/Betty shipping sunk while still in drydock. :argh:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Wyld Karde posted:

Morty/Betty shipping sunk while still in drydock. :argh:

I don't think you get shipping.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This entire chapter is going to have mostly depressing backstory tidbits on the various ancillary characters in the comment sections (much like The Stone had "To learn more, see The X era"), isn't it.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Daaawww lookit all these cute little dead kids!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Jesus Christ Tom. I thought I only had to worry about soul-crushing alt text when I read Whomp.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Or perhaps we only get a couple pages of Mort backstory, some big reveal, and then off in a new direction entirely...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's been a ghost for 60 years. :smith:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Mort looks like he shares the hair with the Badger guy in Red's class.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I love how Mort's face is instantly recognizable, even though his features were previously (or eventually) limited to his sheet.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

aegof posted:

Oh man yeah.

And geez Mort "jerry" is a ethnically charged slur. Be more open minded dead kid from the 40s. :goonsay:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This is going to be really sad, isn't it.

:smith:

I guess the question is - did Mort die in London, or in the country (or en-route)? The country would make more sense given the Court's location, but we don't know if ghosts are tied to specific locations in the GC world.

EDIT: Assuming that he is in London, he could be in Birmingham, or any number of provincial cities.

EDIT 2: I'm an idiot, Mort seems to be obscuring the word "London" on the poster.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 7, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I guess the question is - did Mort die in London, or in the country (or en-route)? The country would make more sense given the Court's location, but we don't know if ghosts are tied to specific locations in the GC world.

His life and death are unrelated the Court, he haunts it because that's where the ROTD stationed him.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Compositionally, I wanted Mort to be standing "in" London. The word, the city, and the area of the poster showing London for good measure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume because has has a fun adventure in London and then goes on to live the rest of his life and becomes a ghost after he dies in 2004 an old man, right?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

I assume because has has a fun adventure in London and then goes on to live the rest of his life and becomes a ghost after he dies in 2004 an old man, right?

And then Betty marries somebody else and has a daughter at the tender young age of 75.

mjau
Aug 8, 2008
Mort never actually died. He accidentally opened a door to the ROTD while trick-or-treating, and they just assumed he was a real ghost. Later, some of the staff at the ROTD brought that belief with them into the ether, and Mort slowly turned into what he is today.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
This is going to end with Mort Sad Times isn't it. :smith:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Maybe the bonus page will have these other kids on it.

Honestly, Betty's life doesn't sound too bad. She found someone else to love and had children and grandchildren. Everyone has to die sometime; living long enough to do those things is worth something.

These outfits are pretty good, too, although after the Jones chapter I would have expected that.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Tea-san posted:

Compositionally, I wanted Mort to be standing "in" London. The word, the city, and the area of the poster showing London for good measure.
Mort is a god damned yob: confirmed.

(the recent pages have been pretty and I hope you are feeling better :shobon:)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

This comic has more clever clues to guess the time period this chapter's based on. We just have to make a list of wars and conflicts where the flippin' Jerrys were involved!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's obviously the 30 Years War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
No it's that war in 2040 where the UK goes to war with thousands of clones of some guy named Jerry.