Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Stronghold and Crusader are fun, Crusader is basically the same game with a middle eastern theme and some different buildings, units and campaigns. Both are p cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I remember getting like three levels into Stronghold and my king kept standing on a tower and being hit by cows or something and I couldn't work out how to make him stop. In my defense, I was ten

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

my king kept standing on a tower and being hit by cows

Sold :allears:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

Gearbox put up an official site for Homeworld 1 & 2: Remastered Edition, and since they claim it'll be for "leading PC digital platforms", I'm assuming it won't be Steam only.

They're also gauging interest in physical special editions, if for some reason you want a scale model mothership on your desk.

:hellyeah: Homeworld is one of my favourite games and one of the few RTSes I perennially return to.

quote:

EDIT: Cataclysm won't be included because apparently the source data is MIA. :(

gently caress

Well, maybe the remake will be moddable enough to recreate Cataclysm in?

Hogburto posted:

:argh: This should just never happen.

I have long been of the opinion that all software developers should be legally mandated to either release the sources, or place them in some kind of reliable escrow so that they can still be recovered when the original developer inevitably fucks off forever and it turns out that their idea of "version control" was "a stack of now-unreadable floppies in some dude's attic".

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Oh wow Empire Earth is on sale, I was just thinking about digging out my disc for that game to play it again. Anyone know if the second and third games are any good?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Empire Earth II is good, it's like the first, the third one is really bad, one of the worst games I've ever bought, and coming from someone who has games like X-com enforcer and Star wars: Battle for Naboo, is quite something :downs:

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
This is anecdotal at best but I've heard the sequels are nowhere near as meticulously balanced as the first.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Angry Lobster posted:

Empire Earth II is good, it's like the first, the third one is really bad, one of the worst games I've ever bought, and coming from someone who has games like X-com enforcer and Star wars: Battle for Naboo, is quite something :downs:

Haha wow, that's quite the recomendation. I think I'll pass on the third one than :)

Clever Spambot posted:

This is anecdotal at best but I've heard the sequels are nowhere near as meticulously balanced as the first.

Interesting, not sure if I'd be able to drag my RTS friends into playing an "old game" but that's good to know thank you.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Finally managed to get the HD strongholds on sale. Also semi blind-bought Space Colony HD, because what the hell. I hope it's good.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I'm tempted to get Moonbase Commander despite owning two physical copies of it. But giving into all this 2 dollar temptation gets me into trouble.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
Do these guys have a functional copy of Wing Commander Privateer? Anyone have experience with their version?

I tried to play it not so long ago but the version I had didn't understand modern input devices...

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Eddy-Baby posted:

Do these guys have a functional copy of Wing Commander Privateer? Anyone have experience with their version?

I tried to play it not so long ago but the version I had didn't understand modern input devices...

Download and install DOSBox, see if you can get it to work with your modern input device. If so, you're probably golden, seeing as how Privateer runs in DOSBox.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
That was what I tried last time, my game had some major issues trying to understand joystick input correctly.

I mean, hell, that was a whole different computer, operating system, the works. I guess I'm just curious if these games have been properly updated, or if they are more provided "as is".

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.

Megadyptes posted:

Sword of the Samurai rules

Now, I love the poo poo out of Covert Action and forgave its weak action elements (the driving especially).

Is Sword of the Samurai similar with all its disparate elements coming together to make a good and interesting game?

I know Sid Meier himself was unhappy with this period, since it made 3 or 4 games with 5 mini game elements and he thought they distracted from the point of a game.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
What's everyone's favourite Settlers game? (and why)

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Rabhadh posted:

What's everyone's favourite Settlers game? (and why)

I really like the Settlers II: 10th Anniversary Edition. It's got the mechanics of the second game, and more modern graphics. It's a chill game for building up production chains and watching dudes run around and do stuff. The combat is weak, but I feel that combat in city builders is generally not the focal point and if it can be disabled it should be.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Obeast posted:

Also, for those who are interested, here's an early teaser trailer for the game from 1994 (I assumed it was packed in with some other game). The original game looked vastly different from the final game released a couple years later while retaining the same storyline and some dialogue, but it looked like they were still trying to go for the shock factor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cknG6YHkqdM
(Slightly :nws:, but not as much as the actual final game)

Something interesting to note about Harvester is that it was delayed for a couple of years.

From an old GameSpot feature:

Vaporware Hall of Shame posted:

Original Release Date: August 1994
Actual Release Date: September 1996

[...]

When Harvester was first shown in January 1994 at the Winter CES in Las Vegas, its bloody graphics caught the eye of gaming journalists accustomed to much milder fare - and Merit didn't miss a beat in playing up the game's blood and gore. The story, too, had a lot of potential: you awake with amnesia in the outwardly normal town of Harvest, which you're told is your home town. But as you try to piece together your past, you suspect that the "baseball, hot dogs, and apple pie" appearance of Harvest is hiding some very weird and maladjusted characters - a suspicion that's confirmed when you discover a bloody skull and spinal cord draped across your fiancee's bed. Merit said the game's interface would be similar to Doom, with the player moving around a virtual 3-D town rendered in Super VGA graphics. It all sounded wonderful, and everyone began looking forward to the game's arrival.

But after the August release date rolled around and the game didn't ship, the gaming media began to lose interest. To show that headway was being made in the game's development, Merit decided to move from screen shots and press releases and actually feature a gameplay sequence at the last CES held in January 1995 - and it didn't bode too well for the game's future. Journalists who gave the game a hands-on test were amazed to find themselves fighting a comical, chainsaw-wielding clown who bounced all around the screen; the graphics already looked a year old and bore little resemblance to the blood-drenched screenshots that had been distributed over the previous 12 months.

[...]

Looking at that trailer from '94, it looks like they were going for a more serious tone. I did a quick search, and found a Facebook fanpage for Harvester that has some magazine scans and interviews with the actors and the development team. One of the interviews is with the writer, and he states that the delay was the fault of the programmers. Still, I have to wonder if some of story elements were reworked due to the delay.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Oh the days when 2 years made the list of Vaporware hall of shame lists. Now we have games like Duke Nukem Forever, Beyond Good & Evil 2, and Last Guardian to show gamers how long a game can really be in development hell.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

macnbc posted:

Oh the days when 2 years made the list of Vaporware hall of shame lists. Now we have games like Duke Nukem Forever, Beyond Good & Evil 2, and Last Guardian to show gamers how long a game can really be in development hell.

Now they just sell the "exclusive closed alpha"'s and continue development when they feel like it.

The harvester story was probably changed from serious to dark humor after recording a few lines and realizing no one would take it seriously.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GOG posted a mea culpa about the recent regional pricing stuff.

Long story short: For games that can't have flat worldwide pricing (and they'll try and fight for it even if it means a GOG version comes out later than everywhere else), they'll make up the difference in store credit (currently in $5.99/$9.99 coupons, but they're working on a "proper" credit system). In addition, they're working on a system to let you choose between paying in your local currency or in US dollars.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

This is why I love GOG. They've realized that a lot of their customers didn't like the pricing changes and are fixing it at personal cost. EA could learn a few things.

AkaiNami
Sep 2, 2011
That's really cool from GOG. If I recall correctly they did something similar during the release of Witcher 2. Glad to see that they listen to their customers.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

This is why I love Gog so much, they actually give a poo poo about their customers. :allears:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Or about retaining their client goodwill, if you want to be a cynical spoilsport about it. Good news and good on them, nevertheless.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I too am excited that GOG moved a little bit closer to failing because people are crybabies about a completely normal industry practice (that they explained pretty well why they had to implement).

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Bobo the Red posted:

I too am excited that GOG moved a little bit closer to failing because people are crybabies about a completely normal industry practice (that they explained pretty well why they had to implement).

yeah they should also introduce some bullshit always online client and DRM too while they're at it right?

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
I think it's legitimate to be concerned about any competitor to Steam regardless of the specifics of each particular service. Not that this particular move spells the end on it's own but this changed regional pricing is costing them money which does hurt them. Also in their position I'd feel it was a little unfair that Steam get to do regional pricing without the same publicity hit because of their critical mass.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bobo the Red posted:

Much like their earlier choice, this is also a business decision that would be foolish to get all worked up about. (Yes, they were huge crybabies.)

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Bobo the Red posted:

Source your quotes.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Delusibeta posted:

Source your quotes.

Having to reimburse customers money increases overhead costs. Source: math

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Good on them for listening to the community. Not sure how this "moves them one step closer to failing", even if they made the best business decision in the world, that won't help them one bit if they burn the community by doing so.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Mortimer posted:

Having to reimburse customers money increases overhead costs. Source: math

It's not likely to tank the site's economics though. To put it simply, if a game is costing GOG more money to sell than they make off of it, they'll stop selling it. Source: math

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Whoever in history came up with the concept of store credit is the most brilliant economist in the universe. It's a risk free maneuver that encourages people to buy more with fake money while still getting more from them. "If I buy this game then I'll get $10 in store credit! Imagine how much store credit I can build up by purchasing other new games at inflated prices!"

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Also in their position I'd feel it was a little unfair that Steam get to do regional pricing without the same publicity hit because of their critical mass.

Valve made the switch to regional prices as well at some point, and it got plenty of complaints back then as well. They survived, I'm sure GOG would have as well if they had stuck to what they mentioned last week.

As it is this is a very nice move from GOG. Creates a lot of good will. I still wouldn't consider it 'fair pricing' if I have to commit $69 to get a game someone in the US can get for $50, despite the extra game codes (which can only be applied to 100% priced games), but it's a marked improvement over not getting anything extra at all. Sadly still a downgrade from what we used to have.

The credit thing in combination with the compensation was the most interesting news in there imo. That sounds a lot better than the codes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

scamtank posted:

Or about retaining their client goodwill, if you want to be a cynical spoilsport about it. Good news and good on them, nevertheless.

People always act like this is cynical but companies doing good things because they get good PR out of it is kinda the optimal scenario as far as benefiting both parties. I wish more of them would do it.

al-azad posted:

Whoever in history came up with the concept of store credit is the most brilliant economist in the universe. It's a risk free maneuver that encourages people to buy more with fake money while still getting more from them. "If I buy this game then I'll get $10 in store credit! Imagine how much store credit I can build up by purchasing other new games at inflated prices!"

When GOG first started doing store credit refunds for regional price differences I thought people wouldn't buy into it for that reason but it turns out they loved it.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I think it's legitimate to be concerned about any competitor to Steam regardless of the specifics of each particular service. Not that this particular move spells the end on it's own but this changed regional pricing is costing them money which does hurt them. Also in their position I'd feel it was a little unfair that Steam get to do regional pricing without the same publicity hit because of their critical mass.
I think you underestimate how pissed off people were about Steam's regional pricing/localised currency.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Gotta love that note from the mods. "This guy was banned, he posted something against the rules but we're not going to tell you what it was." Best I can figure was mentioning proxy browsing or encouraging people to get their US steam friends to gift them stuff but it looks bad regardless.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is anyone here experienced with modding or creating missions for Startopia? I have a few ideas about making the basic adversarial game more challenging. To start with, I'd like to drastically reduce the income the human player gets from converting peeps to penitents, while keeping it normal for the AI. Is that possible? I just want to know before I blow a bunch of hours crawling through CSV files.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Two big sales, one of them bizarre! First, the normal weekend sale: 75% of of "BIG" games.

Secondly is the week-long Luck of the Irish promo: Build a five-game bundle from a list of selected games to get up to 90% off the lot of them! The weird part is the $2 "Pot of Gold" option, which'll give you a random game that's not on the list...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Someone not me will have to tell us which games they score from the mystery $2 purchase. I already have most of the games on the list.