Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Dragonrah posted:

I'm not sure if you're trolling me or if I'm being unclear. I own an iPad. None of my friends own any iOS devices. I even own most of the games in the OP, but have no one to play with. Anyway, that wasn't my question. This being a board game thread, I was hoping some posters would know of some comparable games on android on par with these iOS games. I've been Googling and haven't found anything so my hopes are not very high.

No trolling. I didn't realized you had one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Dragonrah posted:

I even own most of the games in the OP, but have no one to play with.

Join the Groupme channel!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Quickpull posted:

Join the Groupme channel!

https://groupme.com/join_group/3767847/Sofhaw

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Tigris and Euphrates, Neuroshema Hex, Ticket to Ride, and Catan are all on Android. They all have their pros and cons, but ultimately they are solid.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Rusty Kettle posted:

Tigris and Euphrates, Neuroshema Hex, Ticket to Ride, and Catan are all on Android. They all have their pros and cons, but ultimately they are solid.

Unless Big Daddy improved their server infrastructure with the android port of Neuroshima Hex, I would strongly suggest that you steer clear of that. It's a fun game, I really like it, but I have never completed a game online. Either your friend will never receive the invitation, the game will never be created after they receive and accept, the game will flat out disappear from your games list after a few turns, or a gremlin will find some other way to ruin your game.

Their servers are still broke as gently caress, as of ~3 months ago when I last tried.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Bummey posted:

Unless Big Daddy improved their server infrastructure with the android port of Neuroshima Hex, I would strongly suggest that you steer clear of that. It's a fun game, I really like it, but I have never completed a game online. Either your friend will never receive the invitation, the game will never be created after they receive and accept, the game will flat out disappear from your games list after a few turns, or a gremlin will find some other way to ruin your game.

Their servers are still broke as gently caress, as of ~3 months ago when I last tried.

I was able to play a game with a friend about a month ago, but it was only one game we completed it over one sitting. It wasn't a days long game like many iOS board games turn into.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Rusty Kettle posted:

I was able to play a game with a friend about a month ago, but it was only one game we completed it over one sitting. It wasn't a days long game like many iOS board games turn into.

If you play it in one go, without closing the app, you may be okay. If you can even get a game started, that is. If you plan on playing an online game over more than one session, beware.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Dragonrah posted:

I'm not sure if you're trolling me or if I'm being unclear. I own an iPad. None of my friends own any iOS devices. I even own most of the games in the OP, but have no one to play with. Anyway, that wasn't my question. This being a board game thread, I was hoping some posters would know of some comparable games on android on par with these iOS games. I've been Googling and haven't found anything so my hopes are not very high.
So, hey, I would play some games with you - Carc, Ascension, Lords of Waterdeep - even Agricola. My gt is porktree. You can be happy even if you're friends are lame.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Lords of Waterdeep has become my go to iPad board game. I love Carc, but I think I have played it too much. Waterdeep is such a great, no-nonsense implementation.

I'm starting to get itchy for another seriously polished IOS board game, though. So far, Lords of Waterdeep, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride are the only ones really fluid enough for me. Agricola's implementation is too fluffy, and everything else isn't quite at the level that these four are. I guess I've been spoilt in some ways by these games.

Still, I am at a place where I need another game to come out. poo poo, I'd even consider a really polished loving Munchkin at this point or Arkham Horror (Oh god, who am I kidding, even IOS couldn't make Arkham Horror playable). I'm hoping that the 7 Wonders implementation due in the next month or so fills this gap for me.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Have you tried Lost Cities? Same folks who made Carc.

Grocer Goodwill
Jul 17, 2003

Not just one kind of bread, but a whole variety.

Funso Banjo posted:

Still, I am at a place where I need another game to come out. poo poo, I'd even consider a really polished loving Munchkin at this point or Arkham Horror (Oh god, who am I kidding, even IOS couldn't make Arkham Horror playable).

Don't hold your breath. People have been trying to coax Steve Jackson into letting them adapt Munchkin for iOS since at least 2009, and he apparently just hates video games and/or free money.

Fantasy Flight thinks that Arkham Horror is too big of an IP to waste on some puny app, so they're waiting for a big name company to come along make a AAA game out of it.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I think the Small World app is really good now.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

adapt netrunner. adapt the duke.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'd be down for some games if anyone wants to. Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Agricola (still learning, so fair warning), Neuroshima Hex lol, Ascension, and I can pickup anything else that comes along and I'll have people to play.

GC: Walkedairplane

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ZerodotJander posted:

I think the Small World app is really good now.

Yeah, the update to Small World took a really lackluster implementation and made it phenomenal. It's easily on par with or better than what Playdek puts out.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Funso Banjo posted:

(Oh god, who am I kidding, even IOS couldn't make Arkham Horror playable).

I cut you. :ese:

I would pay many cheeseburgers for a good AH port. He'll, even the original AH version would be awesome.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

You know what would make a loving great ios game? Betrayal at House on the Hill. Someone should get on that.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bummey posted:

You know what would make a loving great ios game? Betrayal at House on the Hill. Someone should get on that.

It would have to be Multi-Device.

Grocer Goodwill
Jul 17, 2003

Not just one kind of bread, but a whole variety.

Bummey posted:

Also not likely to happen. WotC doesn't care about anything they own that's not called Magic or Dungeons and Dragons.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Grocer Goodwill posted:

Also not likely to happen. WotC doesn't care about anything they own that's not called Magic or Dungeons and Dragons.

I've been waiting a long, long time for them to print more copies of it. :( Those fuckers.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mage Knight would be utterly fantastic, imo. That's my number one most wanted. I occasionally set it all up and run a solitaire game over the course of a week, so automating the setup and everything would be heaven.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I'd kill for Dominion, especially if it came with asynchronous multiplayer. And an option to ban Chapel.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
More people need to play New World Colony. Fantastic game.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I wish someone would make a good Omega Virus port. :shobon:

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Bottom Liner posted:

More people need to play New World Colony. Fantastic game.

I tried really hard to get the hang of that when it first came out on iOS, but it ended up making me feel completely retarded. There is something about that design that I just can't wrap my head around.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

If you could only have one game which is better:

Stone Age, eclipse, new age, suburbia, San Juan or lords of the waterdeep?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Ropes4u posted:

If you're speaking specifically of the iOS implementations then I'd say it's pretty clearly Lords of Waterdeep.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I really like San Juan but I can never find anyone else to play it with. Doesn't seem to be extremely popular.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Notorious QIG posted:

I'd kill for Dominion, especially if it came with asynchronous multiplayer. And an option to ban Chapel.

What happened with Dominion? I still have the free knockoff app that was supposed to go away when the non-free version came out, but I don't remember what came of that. Was that the HTML 5 site that launched, was crap, and shut down within a week or something?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Ropes4u posted:

Yeah, as actual board games, there could be a debate.

As far as IOS goes, implementation quality, polish, AI and multiplayer . . . Lords of Waterdeep is far ahead of the others you've listed.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I was hoping suburbia would get good reviews as it looks like a good solo game.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, the update to Small World took a really lackluster implementation and made it phenomenal. It's easily on par with or better than what Playdek puts out.

Whoa whoa, seriously. Was this for Small World 1 or 2?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Lt_Tofu posted:

Whoa whoa, seriously. Was this for Small World 1 or 2?

Small World "2" is just a free update to the original app from iPad launch day. It's stupid and confusing that they changed the name. It's not an all new game, but it is an app now on par with Playdek stuff, as was mentioned.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

Small World "2" is just a free update to the original app from iPad launch day. It's stupid and confusing that they changed the name. It's not an all new game, but it is an app now on par with Playdek stuff, as was mentioned.

Aye, it is a good implimentation. That said, the multiplayer is not great. It's handled fine, just there seems to be a small player-base, and games like Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride spoil you with such easy to find multiplayer games.

Ropes4u posted:

I was hoping suburbia would get good reviews as it looks like a good solo game.

Suburbia is a great game that I love. But the IOS implementation is just lacking. There are bugs, but I can let those go because they aren't game breaking. But the interface is pretty bad. Not what I would call user-friendly, and for a while I couldn't work out how to enter and exit different multiplayer games.

You mentioned Waterdeep, though, and as a few others have pointed out, it's in a different league. There are 3-4 games which stand out on IOS, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Ascension (though I don't like the game myself, presentation and implementation is flawless) and Agricola, they are in a different league to all the others. Waterdeep is in that kind of league. If any IOS board game newbie was just starting out, these would be the essentials you HAVE to download. These games alone make the iPad a worthy purchase if you ask me.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Funso Banjo posted:

Aye, it is a good implimentation. That said, the multiplayer is not great. It's handled fine, just there seems to be a small player-base, and games like Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride spoil you with such easy to find multiplayer games.

Suburbia is a great game that I love. But the IOS implementation is just lacking. There are bugs, but I can let those go because they aren't game breaking. But the interface is pretty bad. Not what I would call user-friendly, and for a while I couldn't work out how to enter and exit different multiplayer games.

You mentioned Waterdeep, though, and as a few others have pointed out, it's in a different league. There are 3-4 games which stand out on IOS, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Ascension (though I don't like the game myself, presentation and implementation is flawless) and Agricola, they are in a different league to all the others. Waterdeep is in that kind of league. If any IOS board game newbie was just starting out, these would be the essentials you HAVE to download. These games alone make the iPad a worthy purchase if you ask me.

It looks like I will score lord of the waterdeep and wait for Suburbia to be fixed.

Thanks to everyone for the advice

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Funso Banjo posted:

Oh, is that so? Bummer. I only really play it with friends. Don't know if I've really tried to get a random game since the beta test. (Internet Brag: scroll to the beta testers section of the credits; I am Brandon Debes :smug:)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Can anyone chime in as to what games have good local play (ala same network virtually instantaneous like ticket to ride)?

Looking for more games with hidden information that can be played on two ipads in bed; so two-player games area ideal.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Walked posted:

Can anyone chime in as to what games have good local play (ala same network virtually instantaneous like ticket to ride)?

Looking for more games with hidden information that can be played on two ipads in bed; so two-player games area ideal.

Small World 2 fits this description perfectly. It's by the same company as TtR so the local play works the same way even.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Beelzebozo posted:

Awesome, this is the first I have heard that the game wasn't poo poo. Smallworld is one of the few physical board games I held on to since it is so easy to teach to new players. Plus, I really like playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
So I've got a flight coming up and ascension going free is pretty nice. However reading poo poo on the iphone screen is kind of a pain.

What boardgames on the ios are the best for one device pass and play?

• Locked thread