Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Davros1 posted:

In '90s WCW there was a tag team comprised of Tex Slazenger and Shanghai Pierce. Shanghai Pierce just might be the greatest name in all of pro wrestling.

Shanghai Pierce also had one of the worst wrestling names as Henry O. Godwinn. His WCW partner became his kayfabe brother Phineas, who later became Mideon. And now you know the rest of the story.

Rusty Shackelford fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, and he was also the guy who played Bane in Batman and Robin.
So he's had the best acting career of any wrestler. Not many people can say they were in the only good Batman movie ever made.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Endorph posted:

So he's had the best acting career of any wrestler.

I caught a movie on Showtime yesterday that had Steve Austin as a racist prison guard saying the N word a bunch, does that count? I think I saw Kevin Nash and Goldberg too.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

emjayo posted:

Whatever happened to Luke Gallows?

He fought the Great Power Uti and was never the same again, RIP

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I heard from the dirt sheets that The Great Power Uti was going to come on a victory tour of the US and beat Bully Ray and John Cena in the same night, but unfortunately, those big meanies at the World Bank have frozen his accounts. If you could wire him just $3000...

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Phineas, who later became Mode on.

PSP's Adventures in Autocorrect

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of NJPW, where do I go if I want to check it out?

Real answer: Check out the NJPW thread here. They stream bigger shows on Ustream for $20-$25 or so, but most of them end up on Daily Motion or vimeo soon after. If you like what you see (you will), consider paying for a future show. The more support it gets outside of Japan, the better for non-Japanese fans. Maybe. Hopefully.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of NJPW, where do I go if I want to check it out?

Static Rook posted:

Real answer: Check out the NJPW thread here. They stream bigger shows on Ustream for $20-$25 or so, but most of them end up on Daily Motion or vimeo soon after. If you like what you see (you will), consider paying for a future show. The more support it gets outside of Japan, the better for non-Japanese fans. Maybe. Hopefully.

Yes, please pay for a show if you enjoy the product as they should be rewarded for consistently putting on great shows and instituting profit sharing among their workers.

Here's a helpful guide to their workers and angles written before this January's Tokyo Dome show which is their equivalent to WrestleMania.

Here's part 1 of the Dome show, and that guy has the rest uploaded as well.

Here's a a playlist for last months New Beginning in Osaka PPV which was an incredible show headlined by arguably the best two matches this year.

As Static Rook said, please ask any further questions in the NJPW thread. The next big cards are the New Japan Cup later this month, and all three days will be available as UStream iPPVs.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Ghostpilot posted:

WWF was in the midst of the steroid trial, so they did what they could to disguise the fact that their guys were getting smaller now that they were off the juice.

Is that why they started the Icopro thing? To say they were on supplements rather than steroids?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

JPrime posted:

Is that why they started the Icopro thing? To say they were on supplements rather than steroids?

Icopro started before the steroid bust around the time Vince started the WBF as part of his wanting to break into and take over the bodybuilding industry.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I always figured Gorilla was making a sideways steroid joke with his Icopro shilling. "Tatanka is clearly a firm proponent of Icopro!" Kind of like the Terry Garvin School of Self Defense.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

e: nm

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Did King Kong Bundy do anything at all of note in-between Wrestlemania 2 and 3? Even his Wiki page goes from one to the other. Did he just do the house show circuit with Hogan for a month or two and fall into obscurity?

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
So this just kind of popped up into my head yesterday, but I was wondering what kind of affect, if any at all, the writer's strike in 2007 had on the WWE. Were they still able to write? I know I was watching at the time, but for the life of me I can't remember anything ever being mentioned about it.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Officer Farva posted:

So this just kind of popped up into my head yesterday, but I was wondering what kind of affect, if any at all, the writer's strike in 2007 had on the WWE. Were they still able to write? I know I was watching at the time, but for the life of me I can't remember anything ever being mentioned about it.

I'd bet every penny I've ever owned, seen or thought about that WWE's creative staff either aren't WGA members or knew that if they walked out they weren't going to have jobs to come back to.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Officer Farva posted:

There's no unions anywhere in wrestling.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

What are considered some of the best debuts in WWE? It seems like Jericho had a pretty cool one, but what about others?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bard Maddox posted:

There's no unions anywhere in wrestling.

LIAR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Ugj2fPpcw

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Funktastic posted:

What are considered some of the best debuts in WWE? It seems like Jericho had a pretty cool one, but what about others?

Kane's was pretty drat memorable.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Vince fired Jessie The Body Ventura for trying to make a Union.

This is also one of the worst thing Hulk Hogan has ever done. Jesse was about to form a union for wrestlers, Hogan ratted him out to Vince, Vince fired Jesse.

So the fact that wrestlers don't have a union is almost entirely on Hogan's head.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 7, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Vince fired Jessie The Body Ventura for trying to make a Union.

Vince would literally buy union busters to break his workers legs before ever allowing a Union to form.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Funktastic posted:

Undertaker.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Funktastic posted:

Fandango is top 10.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Does ECW's debut in WWE with Sabu diving off of the Raw logo count?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Cena for sure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Nexus had a cool debut if that counts.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

They definitely got their money's worth out of the guys that said "Nation of Domination" in their theme.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
The debut of the Wyatt Family and the Shield were pretty cool.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Lesnar's debut was pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nETm-odrpWk

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Tazz at the (Rumble?) was cool too. I think he gave Angle his first loss.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Supreme Allah posted:

Tazz at the (Rumble?) was cool too. I think he gave Angle his first loss.

Yeah that was pretty cool. The crowd pops huge for Tazz as the "mystery opponent"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Funktastic posted:

Mankind wasn't bad.

He had a few weeks of vignettes to hype him as a masked nutcase who lived in a basement with a pet rat. It seemed like a strange heel gimmick, but could be neat, right?

So Undertaker beats Diesel at WM12 in a hoss-off, and as you'd expect, taking a (kayfabe) beating, although getting a win.

The next night on Raw, an exhausted Undertaker fights another hoss, Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw. They have a decent power match, but it takes a lot for UT to put Bradshaw away. Then Mankind randomly appears, and beats UT into oblivion.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Does anyone have the original Mankind bio where it talks about him being a piano prodigy?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Raven's WWE debut where he DDT'd Jerry Lawler in Philly and got a huge pop was pretty cool.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

VogeGandire posted:

Kane's was pretty drat memorable.

This gets my vote also, a memorable end to the best match the company had in years.

I also liked Big Show's debut in WWE--coming out from under the ring during the Austin/McMahon cage match and throwing Austin through the cage for the win.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I liked Mickie James' whole debut angle, with her being Trish's stalker.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Red posted:

Mankind wasn't bad.

He had a few weeks of vignettes to hype him as a masked nutcase who lived in a basement with a pet rat. It seemed like a strange heel gimmick, but could be neat, right?

So Undertaker beats Diesel at WM12 in a hoss-off, and as you'd expect, taking a (kayfabe) beating, although getting a win.

The next night on Raw, an exhausted Undertaker fights another hoss, Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw. They have a decent power match, but it takes a lot for UT to put Bradshaw away. Then Mankind randomly appears, and beats UT into oblivion.

Mankind's intro was one of the things that brought wrestling to my attention. I only knew of certain wrestlers and didn't watch the product. I knew that the Undertaker was a tough guy though. So when I saw Mankind take him down, I thought holy poo poo this guy is a big deal. The announcers put Mick over really well in my 10-year-old mind.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

I also liked Big Show's debut in WWE--coming out from under the ring during the Austin/McMahon cage match and throwing Austin through the cage for the win.

Even better, his WCW debut was during the infamous, "IT'S NOT HOT!" Hogan segment where he appeared in the place of an exploding statue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

Even better, his WCW debut was during the infamous, "IT'S NOT HOT!" Hogan segment where he appeared in the place of an exploding statue.

He is just getting revenge on Hogan for killing his father.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I thought Big Show's debut in WWF made him look like a joke. He has one job, and that was to ensure that Austin does not win the match. He proceeds to screw up his first job. I know McMahon motions for Show to throw him into the cage, but they could have had a beat more of a beat down instead of Austin riding the cage wall to the outside.

I know it wasn't the intial debut of Undertaker, but I have always loved the Bikertaker debut at Judgment Day 2000. It was at the height of the McMahon/Helmsley faction, and all kinds of chaos is happening in the ring near the end of the Rock/HHH Ironman match. The way Taker completely clears the ring and destroys everyone with chokeslams and tombstones was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Gavok posted:

Wasn't his debut walking up to Hogan during an interview segment on a beach?