Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

IUG posted:

What is he standing on, and why is it there? As in, what function does it serve? I've never seen that part on a boat before. It looks like it's in some other pictures of the boat, but not discolored.

Joke answer: boat penis.

Its's a Bulbous bow, it modifies the waterline shape of the ship in order to reduce drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Itīs part of the bow and itīs supposed to reduce drag by creating a wave which cancels out the wave created by the "normal" bow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulbous_bow

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

IUG posted:

What is he standing on, and why is it there? As in, what function does it serve? I've never seen that part on a boat before. It looks like it's in some other pictures of the boat, but not discolored.

He's standing on the bulbous bow of the Queen Mary 2. Long answer short is it helps water flow around the bow/hull for reduced drag and increased stability. Why he's there? Cool picture opportunity, I suppose.

efb

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I figured it had to do with the wake of the boat, I just haven't seen one of those before. (Is wake the right term? I'm a land lubber.)

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

IUG posted:

I figured it had to do with the wake of the boat, I just haven't seen one of those before. (Is wake the right term? I'm a land lubber.)

The ship creates wake by moving through the water. That part of the bow makes it more hydrodynamic. You normally wont see it because it's below the water line. It's probably docked for some type of servicing and that's why its high out of the water.

Illithid
Aug 23, 2007

IUG posted:

The bulb breaks up the waves to lessen the water resistance, thereby lowering fuel costs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulbous_bow

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

IUG posted:

"Often in Naval slang it is referred to as 'ship-dick.'"

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

IUG posted:

You need something to dangle your ship nuts from.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

You need something to dangle your ship nuts from.

They're called tugboats.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Dear Prudence posted:

Eh yo I know a lot of you guys here are history buffs so I suggest you listen to this guys podcast if you haven't already - Hardcore History. Dan Carlin talks about a lot of truly badass and awesome periods, points, and places in history. I suggest you start with The Wrath of the Khans (all about Genghis Khan and his rise and fall) and then listen to everything else.

http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php?page=hharchive

You want to start at Ghosts of the Ostfront four-part series. They are in archives but worth the four dollars if you like Dan Carlin. 'Holy poo poo' is my review.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

IUG posted:

e: Never mind.

Another angle:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Herv posted:

You want to start at Ghosts of the Ostfront four-part series. They are in archives but worth the four dollars if you like Dan Carlin. 'Holy poo poo' is my review.

His Death Throes of the Republic led me to binge the entire History of Rome podcast. He tells great stories that also happen to be factually true.

Minster
Mar 4, 2014

Right, right.

Thease are really intense, reminds me of bioshock.

Minster
Mar 4, 2014

Right, right.

Maytag posted:

Some people are afraid of heights, nothing to be ashamed of. Do we need multiple people posting OMG HEIGHTS SO SCARY though? Goons.

I'd do the job for...60k a year with benefits.

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/JkuCp.jpg:nws:

Edit:

Well now I thought I was in an entirely different thread. Sorry about that.

Santa! Nooo! Whyy!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Those posts are from 4 and 3 years ago. You probably shouldn't do that (especially with such nothing comments to add to them).

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

I've never seen so many people answer the same post.

it's a bulbous bow, apparently

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
That dude should call his penis "The Bulbous Bow".

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Jellymouth posted:

That dude should call his penis "The Bulbous Bow".

The name was already taken by those old dudes who wear leather and huge codpieces.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress you, brain cells!

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

World headdesk championships

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW
:stonklol: ...is that really somebody walking on rope there?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Ungoal posted:

:stonklol: ...is that really somebody walking on rope there?

I present to you The Great Blondin:

First person to cross Niagara on a tightrope.

He once carried his manager (a full-grown loving man) across:

Some days, he'd take a loving stove, and stop in the middle of the rope to cook (then eat) a snack:

He even once took a lion across in a wheelbarrow (but I couldn't find a picture of that).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cyclone Lusi hits New Zealand.

New Zealand: gently caress you Lusi, time for fun!

'Aucklanders enjoy Cyclone Lusi'
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/national/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503075&gal_cid=1503075&gallery_id=141725

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The most adorable child soldier.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
MGS V is looking very realistic.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You've got to have the right accessories for your weapon of death.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

This one is very bad rear end as well :3::hf::black101:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

moosepoop posted:

Why is it that I'm scared for my 6-yo son to be old enough to take to the range, but I can't wait for my daughter to be old enough?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My only slight problem with the first picture is she's not wearing eye protection and i don't think those earmuffs are proper ear protection either. Adults I don't really care about, but it's a child so maybe protect their senses until they're 16.

Nitpick over and still adorable.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Say Nothing posted:

You've got to have the right accessories for your weapon of death.

The Heavy and Sasha, first day of school.

Octavion
Apr 5, 2009
I'm concerned about those kids' hearing but in no way concerned that they have access to machine guns. :911:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well yeah. Guns are loud and kids ears are sensitive. Why do you hate children?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Say Nothing posted:

I saw one of these demonstrations in Korea back in 2010 and one of the hardest things to do is set it up without the slabs breaking on you since they use low quality slabs that have been pre-scored on the bottom to aid in cracking. They were doing one that was about 10 slabs high and when they laid the top one on, it cracked in half and the force of its middle dropping one inch cracked and broke the next one, which in turn cracked and broke the next one all the way to the bottom. It really took the enthusiasm out of the audience when they saw a 10 slab high setup break itself with absolutely no help from the students.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Octavion posted:

I'm concerned about those kids' hearing but in no way concerned that they have access to machine guns. :911:

I think it is a safe bet they have plugs in.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

JEEVES420 posted:

I think it is a safe bet they have plugs in.

Agreed, having shot a gun with ear pro loose, you feel it pretty strongly. Unless those girls have an insane pain tolerance or their hearing is already shot there is no way they would have those faces, especially from that MG42/MG3, rifle rounds are insanely loud.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

moosepoop posted:

You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button? What's that supposed to be, some kind of a sick joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

moosepoop posted:

I would mostly be concerned for the recoil getting away from a child when firing a full auto weapon, because there are some hosed-up stories out there of people handing subguns to kids and ending up in tragedy. This kid seems to have it cinched in nice and tight though.

• Locked thread