Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
A lot of the recipes I see for fried chicken sandwiches call for marinading the chicken in pickle juice for a few hours/a day before cooking. I don't really like pickles, and buying jars of them just for the juice is a bit uh, expensive. Is there anything else that might suffice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Capsaicin posted:

A lot of the recipes I see for fried chicken sandwiches call for marinading the chicken in pickle juice for a few hours/a day before cooking. I don't really like pickles, and buying jars of them just for the juice is a bit uh, expensive. Is there anything else that might suffice?

Just make a brine with water, vinegar, salt, a little sugar, and then whatever else you want...dill, garlic, etc.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Capsaicin posted:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just make a brine with water, vinegar, salt, a little sugar, and then whatever else you want...dill, garlic, etc.

Kenji Lopez, the guy who NEVER brines his meat, spent a good deal of time coming up with a brine for a Chik-Fil-A clone. Interesting article here with attached recipe you can use as a starting point.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I recall hearing some time ago that pretty much all the strip mall Chinese Food places get all their meats and sauces frozen and pre-packaged and all from one or two vendors. Is there any truth to this?

I admit that the stuff all looks about the same, (and all these places certainly get the pictures of the food from the same place) but there are some slight variances in terms of taste and texture.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever I make caramelized onions they break down into a mush in the process. I've tried cutting lengthwise instead of along the "equator" of the onion, but that only helps a little bit.

How do I get nicer, more intact onion pieces in the caramelization process?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I just put my first-ever turkey in the oven, an 18.5lb beast I bought for cheap after Christmas.

I'm hoping it turns out well! Following this recipe + comments, I pulled out the giblets and two necks (lol), rubbed butter on, sprinkled with salt, pepper, and other herbs. Cooking on a v-shaped roasting rack. Wrapped the wings with foil and covered the breast part with foil. Poured a can of chicken broth in the bottom if the roasting pan to help with basting. Bake at 350*, baste every half hour, remove foil at last hour.

I'm nervous because this is my first time cooking any sort of whole bird, but I figure that as long as I cook it to temperature it won't be a complete disaster. If you see any glaring errors with what I've posted, please let me know!

I'm also going to make green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, broccoli salad, roasted asparagus, dressing, and serve rolls. This meal is just for funsies. I got tired of having the turkey take up so much space in the freezer so I decided to go all out!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShadowCatboy posted:

Whenever I make caramelized onions they break down into a mush in the process. I've tried cutting lengthwise instead of along the "equator" of the onion, but that only helps a little bit.

I guess the question is how do you caramelize your onions? I've never had that problem.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CzarChasm posted:

I recall hearing some time ago that pretty much all the strip mall Chinese Food places get all their meats and sauces frozen and pre-packaged and all from one or two vendors. Is there any truth to this?

Sysco sells quite a lot of varying options, so probably.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2007/02/every_bite_you_take.html

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

ShadowCatboy posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/08/quick-caramelized-onions-recipe.html

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

fork bomb posted:

I just put my first-ever turkey in the oven, an 18.5lb beast I bought for cheap after Christmas.

I'm hoping it turns out well! Following this recipe + comments, I pulled out the giblets and two necks (lol), rubbed butter on, sprinkled with salt, pepper, and other herbs. Cooking on a v-shaped roasting rack. Wrapped the wings with foil and covered the breast part with foil. Poured a can of chicken broth in the bottom if the roasting pan to help with basting. Bake at 350*, baste every half hour, remove foil at last hour.

I'm nervous because this is my first time cooking any sort of whole bird, but I figure that as long as I cook it to temperature it won't be a complete disaster. If you see any glaring errors with what I've posted, please let me know!

I'm also going to make green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, broccoli salad, roasted asparagus, dressing, and serve rolls. This meal is just for funsies. I got tired of having the turkey take up so much space in the freezer so I decided to go all out!

As long as you have a thermometer and check the temperature starting at the 3.5 hour mark and every 20-30 minutes afterward, you'll probably be fine.

That being said, just by the nature of the recipe, your stuffing will probably be over cooked by the time the bird is done.

Also, you typed 350* but the recipe says 325*, may want to double check that.

But as you stated, as long as the meat gets to done temperature in a reasonable amount of time and is not over cooked, it will taste fine.

Good luck.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

As long as you have a thermometer and check the temperature starting at the 3.5 hour mark and every 20-30 minutes afterward, you'll probably be fine.

That being said, just by the nature of the recipe, your stuffing will probably be over cooked by the time the bird is done.

Also, you typed 350* but the recipe says 325*, may want to double check that.

But as you stated, as long as the meat gets to done temperature in a reasonable amount of time and is not over cooked, it will taste fine.

Good luck.

I didn't stuff the bird with anything, going to make dressing on the side. The bird is empty, but I've been making sure some liquid gets in there when I baste.

I also took the foil off completely at the first basting because it was on there kinda loose anyway. I'll put the foil back on for the last hour (that's what most people do anyway?).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

fork bomb posted:

I didn't stuff the bird with anything, going to make dressing on the side. The bird is empty, but I've been making sure some liquid gets in there when I baste.

I also took the foil off completely at the first basting because it was on there kinda loose anyway. I'll put the foil back on for the last hour (that's what most people do anyway?).

A good way to ensure the inside stays moist is to fill it with aromatics, such as lemons. The steam will keep it a steady, moist temperature and help even out temperature.

I respect you for not cooking stuffing in there. It's so much better cooking it separately.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

A good way to ensure the inside stays moist is to fill it with aromatics, such as lemons. The steam will keep it a steady, moist temperature and help even out temperature.

I respect you for not cooking stuffing in there. It's so much better cooking it separately.

I don't have any lemons. I have carrots, celery, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes on hand. Should I even bother now (if so, what)? Turkey has been cooking for a little over 2.5 hrs.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

fork bomb posted:

I don't have any lemons. I have carrots, celery, bell peppers, and cherry tomatoes on hand. Should I even bother now (if so, what)? Turkey has been cooking for a little over 2.5 hrs.

No. Just keep doing what you're doing. It sounds like it'll be fine. No one's going to die or anything, and you don't want to gently caress around with temperatures too much once you get past the initial starting point.

If you decide to do it again some time down the line try putting some citrus halves inside with some other aromatics, is all.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Is this 3.5 check just to be sure it doesn't get over done and dry? I'm at 3.75 hrs @ 325*, everything I've read says at least 5 hours for 18lbs.

Thanks thread. :)

fork bomb fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 7, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

fork bomb posted:

Is this 3.5 check just to be sure it doesn't get over done and dry? I'm at 3.75 hrs @ 325*, everything I've read says at least 5 hours for 18lbs.

Thanks thread. :)

I was always under the impression that you wanted to cover meat so it would cook hotter faster, at least for the first hour or two, because the uncovered, steady evaporation of water at heat would cause a plateau of the temperature for a long time, and would also kinda dry the meat out.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if your turkey/bird/thing was done closer to 4 hours than 5. What should the temperatures be, ~160+, I think?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 7, 2014

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

I was always under the impression that you wanted to cover meat so it would cook hotter faster, at least for the first hour or two, because the uncovered, steady evaporation of water at heat would cause a plateau of the temperature for a long time, and would also kinda dry the meat out.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if your turkey/bird/thing was done closer to 4 hours than 5. What should the temperatures be, ~160+, I think?

Well, shoot. I just did my ~4 hr baste and made a huge foil tent over the whole roasting pan.

Temps should be 160*+ for all poultry I think? I'll do a temp check in my turkey at the next basting time. :ohdear:

I discovered that my potato masher has disappeared when I went looking for it. :mad: Thankfully my neighbor had a pastry tool that got the job done.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - The ol' Amish Brass Knuckle.

The recipe says to pull it 180? I don't think meat should go that high, especially considering it'll get up to past 190 once you set it to rest. If you pull the bird once it's hit 155 (if it's been evenly cooked) it'll raise up to about 165-ish and that should be perfect.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Did my second temp check on my turkey, still not there. Almost though!

Question: I left the cavity empty. I've been adding basting into the cavity. Just now I emptied all the liquid from the cavity into the roasting pan and it definitely had a (blood) red color tinge. How freaked out should I be?

Edit: I didn't even baste this last time bc now I'm all worried. Shouldn't liquids inside cook clear? Why is it all bloody? :ohdear:

fork bomb fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 7, 2014

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

fork bomb posted:

Did my second temp check on my turkey, still not there. Almost though!

Question: I left the cavity empty. I've been adding basting into the cavity. Just now I emptied all the liquid from the cavity into the roasting pan and it definitely had a (blood) red color tinge. How freaked out should I be?

Edit: I didn't even baste this last time bc now I'm all worried. Shouldn't liquids inside cook clear? Why is it all bloody? :ohdear:

Was it completely defrosted when you put it in? Are you checking the temp in the right spot?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

FishBulb posted:

Was it completely defrosted when you put it in? Are you checking the temp in the right spot?

It was absolutely defrosted. I pulled it out of my freezer and stuck it in my fridge last Wednesday (8 days ago).

I've been checking both thigh and breast meat temp, neither has reached desired and next check is in a quarter hour.

My concern is that liquid has been pooling inside the cavity during this whole time, and last check I manually emptied the cavity. The liquid I poured out was reddish.

Why would it still be red? When I make chicken breasts, all the recipes specify cooking till juices are clear.

Edit: right spot temp checks- meatiest part of breast from the top, under thigh horizontal to cavity?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

fork bomb posted:

It was absolutely defrosted. I pulled it out of my freezer and stuck it in my fridge last Wednesday (8 days ago).

I've been checking both thigh and breast meat temp, neither has reached desired and next check is in a quarter hour.

My concern is that liquid has been pooling inside the cavity during this whole time, and last check I manually emptied the cavity. The liquid I poured out was reddish.

Why would it still be red? When I make chicken breasts, all the recipes specify cooking till juices are clear.

Edit: right spot temp checks- meatiest part of breast from the top, under thigh horizontal to cavity?
I wouldn't worry about it as long as the temperature checks out. Assuming it wasn't still frozen on the inside, the liquid is going to be just as hot as the rest of the turkey. I don't know enough about poultry physics to say why the juices in a chicken breast normally turn clear, but I think that's something different.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How hot is the bird? And more importantly, is your oven accurate?

I don't think the color of the myoglobin/water solution really matters that much; just get the temperature where it needs to be. I've never really heard of the cook 'til it's clear description, not even just for breasts.

Also, those sound like the right places to check.

edit: Also, I'm not big on cooking whole birds, but unless my parents and friends have been hiding something from me (possible, I suppose, but rude) I've never heard of someone draining their bird midway through cooking.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 7, 2014

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Funsgiving was a success! Thank you all for the help!

Ici was super interested.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That all looks amazing, and the turkey seems positively succulent :swoon:

You did a great job Forkbomb

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

That all looks amazing, and the turkey seems positively succulent :swoon:

You did a great job Forkbomb

Thanks duder. All credits go to the super awesome GWS posters who held my hand the whole time. :3:

Thanks Drifter, CzarChasm, FishBulb, and Cuddlebottom.

fork bomb fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 7, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CzarChasm posted:

I admit that the stuff all looks about the same, (and all these places certainly get the pictures of the food from the same place) but there are some slight variances in terms of taste and texture.

They have the same menus etc. look for the big white Mitsubishi box truck outside, it's probably the same one that goes to lots of other restaurants in town.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I'm doing a hotwing festival in 2 months and I've starting trying to make some hot sauces to go on the wings (we have a good recipe already, just trying to make more) and I'm looking for a good recipe.

I made a sauce last night (that will be cut with butter) that was pretty good, but I didn't take measurements.
It was basically some dried chilis (chile de arbol, guajillo, ancho) re-hydrated with hot water, blended with some onion, garlic, salt, and apple cider vinegar.

It tastes good, but just wondering if there is something else I can do in the time frame to have a good sauce. I'm going to start making a mash for next year's competition.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

LTBS posted:

I'm doing a hotwing festival in 2 months and I've starting trying to make some hot sauces to go on the wings (we have a good recipe already, just trying to make more) and I'm looking for a good recipe.

I made a sauce last night (that will be cut with butter) that was pretty good, but I didn't take measurements.
It was basically some dried chilis (chile de arbol, guajillo, ancho) re-hydrated with hot water, blended with some onion, garlic, salt, and apple cider vinegar.

It tastes good, but just wondering if there is something else I can do in the time frame to have a good sauce. I'm going to start making a mash for next year's competition.

I like to make a really sweet sauce to contrast with my salty and acidic sauces. Mango and habanero is a good combination. I'm making one with some clementines this weekend because I have a shitload of them.
You can cut it with carrot puree when it's done to keep it sweet but cut down on the heat. Garlic, obviously, is always a good addition.

Fresh peppers will work better than dried for a sweet sauce. You might want to reserve some of the raw components to tinker with the balance at the end. Some fruit juice is probably good to have on hand as well if you're cooking it down.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LTBS posted:

Sriracha wings? They're not insanely hot but carry a good amount of heat.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/sriracha-hot-wings-recipe.html

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

BraveUlysses posted:

Sriracha wings? They're not insanely hot but carry a good amount of heat.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/sriracha-hot-wings-recipe.html

Just use the search bar on seriouseats. They have about 20+ recipes and different guides how to cook them.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

goodness posted:

Just use the search bar on seriouseats. They have about 20+ recipes and different guides how to cook them.

I didn't even think about seriouseats. Thanks!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > The General Questions thread - let me seriouseats that for you

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 7, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I'm making a yorkshire pudding tonight and I just realized since I'm making it for two I made way too much batter. If I freeze the batter, will it keep? And for how long?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Modernist Cuisine has a recipe for a buffalo wing sauce. They basically make a chipotle flavored mayo so that the sauce has no water to ruin your crispy chicken skin.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm making a yorkshire pudding tonight and I just realized since I'm making it for two I made way too much batter. If I freeze the batter, will it keep? And for how long?

Freezing it should be fine (it's essentially a thin pancake batter). Put it in a freezer ziploc bag, get rid of excess air, freeze. Probably good for at least a month.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My pressure cooker gets in today and the first thing I wanna do is convert all my frozen chicken carcasses into stock.

Do I need to thaw them out first?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

My pressure cooker gets in today and the first thing I wanna do is convert all my frozen chicken carcasses into stock.

Do I need to thaw them out first?

No. thawing doesn't serve any purpose for this. What you may consider doing (if you don't do it already) in the future is cut apart the carcass before you freeze it to save even more space, if that's a thing you'd like to have.

But what I'd recommend if you have the hour or two is to take your frozen carcasses, feather them with oil, and then roast them at 450 F until they turn a bit goldeny. Roasting your stuff before you stock it really adds a nice flavor.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 7, 2014

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Okay, so. I have some dashi stock and some hon tsuyu sauce. While I'm udon'd out for a little bit, I am wondering if I can use these things (not necessarily TOGETHER) for soba or ramen.

I've googled it, but mostly the recipes look beyond what I can do in our overcrowded kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hon tsuyu is the dipping sauce for cold soba noodles.