Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

why oh WHY posted:

I don't think that anyone really dislikes the Carpenters.

Well there is Nichodemus and his family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I don't dislike any characters but I could do without the college werewolves.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Hand Row posted:

I don't dislike any characters but I could do without the college werewolves.

They haven't been in college for a long time though, like, each book being a year means it's been 12 years since we first met them, so it's probably been 8 books since they were in college, and they don't show up that often.

Summer Knight, Turn Coat, Ghost Story and Cold Days I think, and a few short stories.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

Anias posted:

This reminds me - I'm half convinced the reason mccoy named that particular object in that fashion was to give him an easy out in the event someone asked him to do something about dresden.

Considering the reveal in Changes that Ebenezar is Harry's grandfather, I'm not sure he'd be willing to drop an asteroid on his own flesh and blood.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

Considering the reveal in Changes that Ebenezar is Harry's grandfather, I'm not sure he'd be willing to drop an asteroid on his own flesh and blood.

I think Anias meant more:
"McCoy, you have to do it. You have to bring down Dresden."
"Okay." *Destroys satellite*
"There. I did it. I blew up Dresden. Harry run get out of here"

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I guess it would result in fewer innocent deaths than leveling the capitol of Saxony, but it's pretty weak.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If the council told Eb to kill Harry and he didn't want to he'd just say no. What are they gonna do, make him?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

If the council told Eb to kill Harry and he didn't want to he'd just say no. What are they gonna do, make him?

Ebenezar's tough, but I don't think even he could stand up to the whole rest of the Senior Council on his own, if it came to that.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

docbeard posted:

Ebenezar's tough, but I don't think even he could stand up to the whole rest of the Senior Council on his own, if it came to that.

What's to stand up to? It's not like they're going to court marshal him for disobeying a direct order. It's pretty hard to punish a prominent public figure for insubordination when the office in question doesn't officially exist.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I don't buy it. Even if there was a way to strong-arm him into attacking "Dresden" without any warning, he could just as easily name the tree in his back yard "Harry Dresden" and bring it down.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

What's to stand up to? It's not like they're going to court marshal him for disobeying a direct order. It's pretty hard to punish a prominent public figure for insubordination when the office in question doesn't officially exist.

Well, for one thing, Harry was under the Doom of Damocles, which I think meant that Ebenezar was putting his own life on the line by taking responsibility for him, in exactly the same way that Harry was by taking responsibility for Molly later on.

For another thing, I'm pretty sure that openly defying the Senior Council is a bad, bad idea. Ebenezar is probably one of the few people who could hope to get away with it, but that's more because he's got some good friends among the higher-ups (remember that all of this was well before he joined the Senior Council himself) and is really good at politics in his own right.

Either way, he probably wouldn't have been ordered to execute theoretical warlock Harry. That's a Warden's job.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I thought the whole discussion where Ebenezer asks for satellite dresden was also part of Ebeneezer offering Harry to stay at his place, which was highly defensible. Harry had told him what was going on with Ortega. I thought it was foreshadowing what Ebeneezer was gong to do.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Exmond posted:

I thought the whole discussion where Ebenezer asks for satellite dresden was also part of Ebeneezer offering Harry to stay at his place, which was highly defensible. Harry had told him what was going on with Ortega. I thought it was foreshadowing what Ebeneezer was gong to do.

Yeah, Asteroid Dresden may as well have been called Chekhov's Satellite.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

Yeah, Asteroid Dresden may as well have been called Chekhov's Satellite.

And I still missed the reference the first time I read it, even though it's in the same book.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

docbeard posted:

Well, for one thing, Harry was under the Doom of Damocles, which I think meant that Ebenezar was putting his own life on the line by taking responsibility for him, in exactly the same way that Harry was by taking responsibility for Molly later on.

For another thing, I'm pretty sure that openly defying the Senior Council is a bad, bad idea. Ebenezar is probably one of the few people who could hope to get away with it, but that's more because he's got some good friends among the higher-ups (remember that all of this was well before he joined the Senior Council himself) and is really good at politics in his own right.

Either way, he probably wouldn't have been ordered to execute theoretical warlock Harry. That's a Warden's job.

Harry got the doom of d lifted at the end of the first book, so it's not really relevant to Eb disobeying an order to kill/capture Harry years later.

As for how un-whipped Eb is, look at the main set-piece from Turncoat. The council votes 2-1 to arrest Harry, and Eb tells them it's a dumb idea and refuses to help arrest Harry.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

Harry got the doom of d lifted at the end of the first book, so it's not really relevant to Eb disobeying an order to kill/capture Harry years later.

And he is back under it after PG, now for Molly. Though I'm not sure where that stands now. I mean it got invoked after he went AWOL but now that he is officially back and Molly is "safe" is he still on the block? Does his new position outweigh it?

And part of Eb's job is to defy the council, it's rulings and law. So aside from burning political bridges him telling them to piss off won't carry charges. Unless he burns enough political bridges that the council decides he has gone against them outside the mandate of his job, then it would be on

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

And he is back under it after PG, now for Molly. Though I'm not sure where that stands now. I mean it got invoked after he went AWOL but now that he is officially back and Molly is "safe" is he still on the block? Does his new position outweigh it?

I have a feeling that a lot of these questions are going to be answered in the next book or two, though the Gatekeeper said he'd square things with the Council for Harry. How his new position as the Winter Knight interacts with his association with the White Council is an open question, certainly.

I think it was mentioned in Ghost Story that Molly was officially back on the Council's bad list after Harry 'died', but that Ramirez and the other Wardens weren't trying very hard to bring her in.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Poopy Palpy posted:

I guess it would result in fewer innocent deaths than leveling the capitol of Saxony, but it's pretty weak.

He already did.

Blackstaff, remember? He's allowed to violate all the Laws of Magic, including the one about time travel.

Kind of a shame what happened to Billy Pilgrim in the process, but them's the breaks.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Part of what I loved about TC was that it did a lot of world building and explained what was going on with the politics of the council (the other part was a completely basses last 3rd action sequence and Morgan getting some character development)

While I don't see room for it in what we've heard of SG so far I would love to see more of it. Give me the backstabbing outwitting game of thrones stuff of council politics and Harry upsetting everyone's plans

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

While I don't see room for it in what we've heard of SG so far I would love to see more of it. Give me the backstabbing outwitting game of thrones stuff of council politics and Harry upsetting everyone's plans

Even if we don't get it in Skin Game, I'm pretty sure we'll get plenty more Council shenanigans before the series is over. I would be honestly surprised if we don't end up with a civil war within the White Council at some point.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

docbeard posted:

Even if we don't get it in Skin Game, I'm pretty sure we'll get plenty more Council shenanigans before the series is over. I would be honestly surprised if we don't end up with a civil war within the White Council at some point.

I agree, I just want it soon

I NEED MY DRESDEN FIX BUTCHER!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

I agree, I just want it soon

I NEED MY DRESDEN FIX BUTCHER!

He's got, what, another ten books or so planned out? I would like all of those ten books to come out this year. SOME OF US ARE NOT GETTING ANY YOUNGER.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

And part of Eb's job is to defy the council, it's rulings and law. So aside from burning political bridges him telling them to piss off won't carry charges. Unless he burns enough political bridges that the council decides he has gone against them outside the mandate of his job, then it would be on
I would think that with what happened at the end of Cold Days, Molly would no longer be under the Merlin's power in that respect. the Merlin is certainly too canny to start stepping on Mab's toes, especially when he'd probably get smacked down(or worse) by Mab

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

MasterFugu posted:

I would think that with what happened at the end of Cold Days, Molly would no longer be under the Merlin's power in that respect. the Merlin is certainly too canny to start stepping on Mab's toes, especially when he'd probably get smacked down(or worse) by Mab

Right, but there can still be consequences for Dresden for failing to rehabilitate Molly, either based on his going MIA or the end of CD

Has the skin game signing tour been announced yet?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MasterFugu posted:

Yeah, at this point, Molly is probably not a mortal wizard in any meaningful sense.

Someone on the Council taking a shot at Harry because of all this is almost a certainty. I don't think it'll be the Merlin, though. He doesn't like Harry, but I think he's at least accepted at this point that they're on, broadly, the same side. I do wonder if he, or anyone else on the Council aside from the Gatekeeper, knows the actual reason there's a Winter Court, though.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

docbeard posted:

Yeah, at this point, Molly is probably not a mortal wizard in any meaningful sense.

Someone on the Council taking a shot at Harry because of all this is almost a certainty. I don't think it'll be the Merlin, though. He doesn't like Harry, but I think he's at least accepted at this point that they're on, broadly, the same side. I do wonder if he, or anyone else on the Council aside from the Gatekeeper, knows the actual reason there's a Winter Court, though.

In TC Arthur is credited with negotiating the current balance of power, so I'd assume he knows.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fried Chicken posted:

Right, but there can still be consequences for Dresden for failing to rehabilitate Molly, either based on his going MIA or the end of CD

"Sorry Dresden, I know you were dead and all, but your ward kinda went nuts and now that you're alive, we'll just have to kill you again."

lol

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

"Sorry Dresden, I know you were dead and all, but your ward kinda went nuts and now that you're alive, we'll just have to kill you again."

lol

It's the white council. Keep in mind they revoked whatever "professional wizard" status Harry had earned for the excuse to kill him before

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

It's the white council. Keep in mind they revoked whatever "professional wizard" status Harry had earned for the excuse to kill him before

They tried to, anyway.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ghetto Prince posted:

Really? I'm glad he left the series ,it was already weird when he sent his unstable teenage daughter to live with his half crazy 40 something year old friend who's literally possessed by a demon , but then all his kids turn out to be magic , and oh, he's a direct descendant of King Arthur and oh, that magic sword is Excalibur and ect.

Not to put too fine a point on it but you seem awfully upset over a bunch of poo poo that you have completely wrong. And you seem to just be randomly spoilering things.

1. She was living at home, not with harry.
2. Only molly shows magical talent.
3. Not a descendent of King Arthur It's Charlemaign
4. On the swords origin. Well you got one out of four right.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

docbeard posted:

I have a feeling that a lot of these questions are going to be answered in the next book or two, though the Gatekeeper said he'd square things with the Council for Harry. How his new position as the Winter Knight interacts with his association with the White Council is an open question, certainly.

I think it was mentioned in Ghost Story that Molly was officially back on the Council's bad list after Harry 'died', but that Ramirez and the other Wardens weren't trying very hard to bring her in.

I have a feeling it's not going to be an issue. I highly doubt that Harry is the first white council member to be one of the "Knights". I wouldn't even be shocked to find out that a few Knights of the Cross have been council members in times past.

ConfusedUs posted:

lol

This would piss off not one, but two queens of winter. Possibly all three, and the new summer lady and current summer knight probably wouldn't be too thrilled at them either. Harry is building a pretty good loving web of allies that make any rash action by the White Council pretty much impossible and or suicide.

I mean up until this point if Harry got bumped off at most you'd have a few angry wizards, a few angry vampires, an angry dog and an angry cop (Who is less important thant he dog). Nothing earth shaking.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 7, 2014

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Rhymenoserous posted:

an angry dog and an angry cop (Who is less important thant he dog).

This made me laugh. Poor Murphy.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wittgen posted:

This made me laugh. Poor Murphy.
Let's be fair here, Mouse isn't a normal dog. He's a dog archangel or something.

Dogiel?

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

Let's be fair here, Mouse isn't a normal dog. He's a dog archangel or something.

Dogiel?

Such divine, very angel, many holy, wow.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Nihilarian posted:

Dogiel?

Butcher's been over this, he's the Dog Hulk.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I just started Small Favor and finished the first book of Codex Alera. I can't help but notice how often Butcher's characters "drawl" and "snarl". It's almost comical at this point.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

I just started Small Favor and finished the first book of Codex Alera. I can't help but notice how often Butcher's characters "drawl" and "snarl". It's almost comical at this point.

It is undoubtedly a problem he has. 'Wolfish grin' is another one that shows up way too often, by which I mean at all.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Wait until "chitinous" shows up. Chitinous. Chitinous. Chitinous good people.

Weirdly enough, this is something that I completely failed to notice while I was binging through the series the first time, but it's impossible to miss once it's been pointed out. Do a lot of other big authors keep falling back on the same words and phrases?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

blastron posted:

Weirdly enough, this is something that I completely failed to notice while I was binging through the series the first time, but it's impossible to miss once it's been pointed out. Do a lot of other big authors keep falling back on the same words and phrases?

It's pretty common, yeah.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

One of the thread's titles was "a chitinous susurrus of good people" for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

blastron posted:

I think it was China Mieville who bugged me with things constantly being concatenated.

And of course, good old Doc Smith with lambent coruscating beams.

• Locked thread