Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Well, when needs must. Pretty clever. Nice handling of the bucket; may be a little hard on the tarmac...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Well, when needs must. Pretty clever. Nice handling of the bucket; may be a little hard on the tarmac...

Just think of it as two-player QWOP. While driving. With heavy equipment.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

At some point, me and a couple people in here were talking about the old-school AMC jeep logos, and how they wanted them.

Well, guess what just surfaced on ebay?
Xposting from Jeep thread because I don't remember where it was.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

:patriot:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

"Hehe. That's not a sybian. THAT's a sybian..."

Only in Texas Maryland?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
AI's version of

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

HAIL AMERICA :clint: :911:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Blooot posted:

A new play on Boso?

Awesome: In a way.
Automotive Insanity: Yes.

Credit High Top Fade http://high-top-fade.blogspot.com/2014/03/blog-post_1261.html

The driveshaft pointing that way without a slip joint is remarkable.
One sweaty foot-slip away from severe injury.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

rscott posted:

I swear I had a Hot Wheels or Micro Machines car that did the same thing and had about the same level of rake
Yeah, I had this pair of micro machines cars with interchangable wheels (road, slick, monster truck) and the axle rake could be heavily adjusted.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Falken posted:

Yeah, I had this pair of micro machines cars with interchangable wheels (road, slick, monster truck) and the axle rake could be heavily adjusted.

Same here. These ones in the toolbox?

The one on the left still has all the silly huge engines and spoilers. I'm pretty sure mine is still at my parent's place with virtually all the bits which is pretty amazing considering how small the tyres and such were.

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

Blooot posted:

A new play on Boso?

Awesome: In a way.
Automotive Insanity: Yes.

Boso 4 Lyfe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwjg-ooqji4

I wonder if they use those seats that are in roller coasters?
The one with the nut-crusher-protrusion-thingy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

The one on the left still has all the silly huge engines and spoilers. I'm pretty sure mine is still at my parent's place with virtually all the bits which is pretty amazing considering how small the tyres and such were.

Man, I had that. I think the only one of the Micro Machines I kept was the little Miata, but maybe my parents held onto the rest. Be neat to see if those little 'picture inside' cars are still there.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Is that two superchargers stacked on each other? Would that even work?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
You assume the car gets driven and not just trailered from show to show.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The driveshaft pointing that way without a slip joint is remarkable.

No slip joint needed - there's no axle movement.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Is that two superchargers stacked on each other? Would that even work?

Yes, and yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkrgyfjJg3s

The Guy That Owns The GTO posted:

My 1970 GTO with two blowers. It's 474ci Pontiac engine with a 8-71 blower on top of a 6-71 blower. This is from the last day of being double blown. I'm going to one single 8-71 blower and going racing. The front clip was removed to make it easier to work on. The reason for the double blowers was not as a power enhancement like many ASSume. I stacked the blowers to have a car that stood out in the crowd. Most Pro Street cars were starting to blend together. If you seen one, you had seen them all. That wasn't the case with this GTO. Al someone had to say was "The double blower GTO" and people knew which car. I was told it couldn't be done, so I attempted it and it worked. It stayed that way for almost 2 years. I knew a twin turbo setup would make more HP. I knew I could have run a 14-71 blower and made more power. That wasn't the point. I wanted to be different than the other cars in the parking lot, I did that now it's time to ove on. For all those people who don't understand why, I'm not going to try and explain it to you anymore. Get over it. I didn't expect EVERYONE to love it. But you won't forget it.

Note that the video is from 6 years ago.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Darchangel posted:

Yes, and yes.

Christ on the cross, the idle lope is 2000 RPM. That's AI as poo poo.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

88h88 posted:

Yup, that exact one. What was the name of the product so I can look it up on ebay?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Falken posted:

Yup, that exact one. What was the name of the product so I can look it up on ebay?

I found those pictures with the term 'micro machines mini toolbox' as there were apparently a few different sets released inside a toolbox but this seems to be the only small one. Ebay has them under micro machines toolbox though.

This one has the exact cars I had. http://www.ebay.com/itm/micro-machines-yellow-tool-box-100-rare-/331141640118

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Helmet cam on a Honda Indy Car going around Sonoma :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmTOvnRfAJU&t=211s

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Friar Zucchini posted:

Y'all do understand what this means, right? The latest and greatest example of bleeding-edge advancement in automotive design is a drat Volvo station wagon.

A station wagon is being presented as new, innovative and stylish.

:magical: This can only end well. Seriously, this is loving awesome. Now I wanna see what a brand I can afford can come up with.

Goddamn, you and me both. I drive trucks these days because I like being able to haul things occasionally, but I'd swap back to a wagon in a minute if someone made one that was reasonably affordable, a decent driver, and didn't get gallons per mile.

I miss the poo poo out of my '84 Buick Estate Wagon. It sucked gas like nobody's business, but had power to spare and was as comfortable as driving a couch.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQ9InhEKu0

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

GramCracker posted:

Helmet cam on a Honda Indy Car going around Sonoma :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmTOvnRfAJU&t=211s

Dumb question, but what's the knob he keeps changing on the wheel? I also like the map layout stuck to the right, with how fast you're going, how could he possibly reference that at any point? :)

My biggest fear when racing is knowing where to turn sometimes, and that kinda scares me at those speeds.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Binge posted:

Dumb question, but what's the knob he keeps changing on the wheel? I also like the map layout stuck to the right, with how fast you're going, how could he possibly reference that at any point? :)

My biggest fear when racing is knowing where to turn sometimes, and that kinda scares me at those speeds.

The map is probably just for a quick reminder of what corner's coming up next; I imagine once you're racing at that level you've got a pretty good grasp of braking and turn-in points.

As for the knobs, on Formula 1 cars those control various subsystems like brake bias, traction control, limited slip, etc.; I imagine it's something similar.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Stolen from YOSPOS from back when Apple was good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Das Volk posted:

Stolen from YOSPOS from back when Apple was good

So is that from an alternate reality or something?

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

Ken Block (or someone else) needs to make this happen a la Danny MacAskill.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LTBS posted:

Ken Block (or someone else) needs to make this happen a la Danny MacAskill.

But Ken Block drives Ford now!
:goonsay:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Stolen from YOSPOS from back when Apple was really expensive

FTFY (I'm an Apple guy, but man, back then, price was definitely a barrier to entry, way more than now.)

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Darchangel posted:

Yes, and yes.

As cool as that is, that guys license plate is loving fantastic.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hooooly crap that was the coolest YouTube video I have seen in a while!!!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

subx posted:

As cool as that is, that guys license plate is loving fantastic.

I've watched that video loads but this is the first time I've noticed that. That's superb.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
So Wal-Mart has teamed up with Peterbilt to make a turbine-powered semi.

The trailers walls are made of single sheets of 53' long carbon fiber.
Kind of neat I suppose.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1090639_is-walmarts-wave-concept-truck-the-fuel-efficient-future-of-semis

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
I'm surprised were not hearing about more things like this. I feel like saving as much weight as possible from the cab+trailer would improve greatly on fuel economy, saving trucking companies money, etc.

Wal-Mart is definitely investing in this for that reason. They're the penny pinching masters.

Edit: I'm also not familiar at all with how new rigs are built and what advancements have been made, if any, in saving weight.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

SierraEchoBravo posted:

I'm surprised were not hearing about more things like this. I feel like saving as much weight as possible from the cab+trailer would improve greatly on fuel economy, saving trucking companies money, etc.

Wal-Mart is definitely investing in this for that reason. They're the penny pinching masters.

Edit: I'm also not familiar at all with how new rigs are built and what advancements have been made, if any, in saving weight.

Not worth the cost of patching carbon fiber. Trailers get holes popped into them on a regular basis.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
I guess I didn't mean carbon fiber specifically, just weight savings in general.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SierraEchoBravo posted:

Most of the advancements, AFAIK, are in the engine (common rail, VGT engines built with more exotic materials), transmission (fully automatic transmissions with dynamic braking) and chassis (disc brakes, stability control etc). I think it would be difficult (not impossible, just expensive) to develop a truck that is lighter while maintaining the same million-kilometer durability and strength.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Literally was just about to post this :argh:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wait.....I get the obvious thing.....but is that a suicide crew cab door on that brotruck (in primer also)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

PromethiumX posted:

So Wal-Mart has teamed up with Peterbilt to make a turbine-powered semi.

The trailers walls are made of single sheets of 53' long carbon fiber.
Kind of neat I suppose.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1090639_is-walmarts-wave-concept-truck-the-fuel-efficient-future-of-semis

Would those flat wheel covers be of any value on a regular truck? Every little bit of aero helps, I'd think, but would it save enough fuel to offset the cost of purchase/labor for the 30 seconds to pop 'em off and on every time you changed a tire?