Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

adnam posted:

Thanks for all the replies on penny stocks. While I'm slightly (read: not) glad for his success, he's a bit of an insufferable brat who managed to get into medical school somehow and mentions it every 5 minutes.
I asked what his investment strategy was, and advised him to sell all his stocks after I found out he made a 300% profit, but the prat is going to be holding on to his marijuana penny stocks long-term.

Captain Schaudenfreude will hopefully be knocking on his door in the near future and I'll be nearby with popcorn in hand.

At this point it's probably a lesson best learned on his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

I own HART because they were spun off of HBIO. I have no idea why they are up 107% over the last few days, or why they are up 40% today. I plan on keeping it as they were free shares, but I have no clue as to why the sudden and dramatic climb. What am I missing?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

YeahDavidLeeRoth posted:

I own HART because they were spun off of HBIO. I have no idea why they are up 107% over the last few days, or why they are up 40% today. I plan on keeping it as they were free shares, but I have no clue as to why the sudden and dramatic climb. What am I missing?

The newsletters from Sykes and his disciples are all over this one today I think. At least according to some of the stuff I am seeing on twitter. You may want to consider selling and buying back in once the hype is over.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

YeahDavidLeeRoth posted:

When it comes to stocks, nothing is ever free.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

YeahDavidLeeRoth posted:

The fact that you got them from being spun off probably shouldn't change how you think about the shares.

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes

YeahDavidLeeRoth posted:

It was announced toward the end of trading on Monday that they'll be releasing financial results for the fourth quarter and last year. Biotech gets people excited.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Still pissed I sold PLUG at 3.5, still realize I'd have been crazy not to

I've staid in since 0.14 and I'm so far past my target I can't decide when to exit. It's a nice dilemma to have, but it's still a dilemma.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I've staid in since 0.14 and I'm so far past my target I can't decide when to exit. It's a nice dilemma to have, but it's still a dilemma.

Love these stories. How much did you buy at 0.14?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Not much, I'm small-time and this is among my first trades.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Sell it all you dumb dumb. Don't trade known gains for potential gains. It's statistically unlikely and especially so because it's a penny stock.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

cowofwar posted:

Sell it all you dumb dumb. Don't trade known gains for potential gains. It's statistically unlikely and especially so because it's a penny stock.

Hadn't heard about it at all so I just looked the info up - the market cap is up to $800M. At what point does something cease to be a penny stock?

Edit: though I agree with the sell sentiment.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 6, 2014

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Hadn't heard about it at all so I just looked the info up - the market cap is up to $800M. At what point does something cease to be a penny stock?

Edit: though I agree with the sell sentiment.
Whoops, confused two active conversations. Yeah, not a penny stock but it's biotech so sell it and take your winnings because biotech is gambling. I wouldn't buy biotech stocks and I have a PhD in biochemistry.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Anyone else been enjoying AVAV? I bought back in July and it's been a nice ride. I'll probably be holding on to it in the long term. 30% market share for unmanned aircraft and a deal to work with Lockheed Martin bodes pretty well for the future when the national airspace opens up to drones in November 2015.

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Whoops, confused two active conversations. Yeah, not a penny stock but it's biotech so sell it and take your winnings because biotech is gambling. I wouldn't buy biotech stocks and I have a PhD in biochemistry.

Biotech as a field has done incredibly well over the last year. While I will agree with you that buying individual biotech stocks is gambling, I own a biotech ETF that is up over 50% in the last 12 months. With significant diversification even high-volatility fields are very investible.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

I'm in a similar spot with Fannie Mae. Not to your scale, but I bought in at 1.30 and it's around 5 now. I've pretty much decided I'm comfortable running it into the ground.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Bought some SINA calls yesterday, hoping for momentum towards a Weibo IPO

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

bathhouse posted:

Bought some SINA calls yesterday :smug: hoping for momentum towards a Weibo IPO

I bought some around 68 when it gapped down a little over a week ago. Trying to figure out whether to sell or not :ohdear:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Planeshifter2 posted:

Biotech as a field has done incredibly well over the last year. While I will agree with you that buying individual biotech stocks is gambling, I own a biotech ETF that is up over 50% in the last 12 months. With significant diversification even high-volatility fields are very investible.
Yes, although the bull market has in general lifted most fields up and the more speculative fields tend to be further enhanced in such a market. Which is why I would take profits now before a correction hits as corrections tend to hit more speculative markets harder as well.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

I don't have ability to PM so I thought I'd mention that the goon's guide to day trading (pineapplewatch.com) link in the OP is dead. :rip:

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
https://www.facebook.com/notes/divine-pharaoh/a-scenario-for-a-utopian-society/939453186184

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Edit: Whoops, replied to stupid thing.

On topic: I'm feeling unambitious (except Potash!), and feel like the market is headed for some sideways. Does it make sense to park in some Covered Call ETFs (was looking at QYLD for example)? Or do they suck in ways I'm not thinking of?

jmzero fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 7, 2014

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So what is the long-term expansion plan for PLUG? The CEO seemed absolutely jubilant in talking about the company today (even taking into account that the stock has skyrocketed).

Read a little about the range-extending addition to electric vehicles, but the information is pretty sparse. How does that work? Cost? How much weight does it add? Much of their literature really plays up the zero emissions bit without really playing up any cost savings, so I'm scratching my head a bit about why it would be so attractive.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
AMD hitting $4.02. Buy below $4 sell above!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

MrBigglesworth posted:

You have sufficient confidence in the company to make that swing trade in case the shares don't recover as expected? Why not swing trade a stock that has better long-term prospects?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

don't hshit on biotech all.... .LD

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

don't hshit on biotech all.... .LD
Go back to FYAD.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

cowofwar posted:

You have sufficient confidence in the company to make that swing trade in case the shares don't recover as expected? Why not swing trade a stock that has better long-term prospects?

If you want to make a bet that the new console generation will be big but don't want to bet on SNE or MSFT, where else should you throw your money?

Not that that's terribly related to a strategy of swing trading AMD between $3.50-$4.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

If you want to bet on consoles, putting money into Microsoft or Sony is a pretty bad idea either way. Both companies have WAY too many unrelated things that could make or kill the stock. The only "pure" console play is Nintendo, but nobody should bet on them right now since they completely hosed up with the Wii U.

If you want to go after gaming, better to buy the companies making games instead. (though they usually suck too)

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I'm not super keen on AMD's mid term prospects, thought that was a pretty common opinion... and I can't find any news or thoughts that would explain their jump up (I understand this isn't exactly historic highs for AMD, but still it seems odd). I usually rely on Google finance and a couple random blogs for this kind of news, but I'm not seeing anything.

I hate not being in on the secret. What good news sources do people use regularly?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Eldarion posted:

If you want to bet on consoles, putting money into Microsoft or Sony is a pretty bad idea either way. Both companies have WAY too many unrelated things that could make or kill the stock. The only "pure" console play is Nintendo, but nobody should bet on them right now since they completely hosed up with the Wii U.

If you want to go after gaming, better to buy the companies making games instead. (though they usually suck too)

Ubisoft has been on a TEAR since they dropped like 20% that one day when the delayed Watch Dogs, up over 50%.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

cowofwar posted:

I like lurking this thread, especially because I don't really have enough money to dick around too much in the market but I've seen this kind of sentiment posted repeatedly and I don't understand it. Why would you let past winnings change future bets? There seems to be a lot of advice to lock up gains when you get them. A stock's profitability should have nothing to do with how much you've made or lost previously. Why does this thread seem so far off in attitude from most other gambling activities, such as poker?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

A stock's profitability should have nothing to do with how much you've made or lost previously.

"Betting this stock is undervalued at $1" isn't the same as "betting this stock is undervalued at $2". The bet has changed, regardless of how an individual has done with it in the past.

VVV: Sorry, yes, I wrote a bunch of bullshit and then deleted it because it was stupid and I don't remember what point I was trying to make.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 8, 2014

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

jmzero posted:

"Betting this stock is undervalued at $1" isn't the same as "betting this stock is undervalued at $2". The bet has changed.

Weird I went to quote and your whole post changed!

I understand that, you reassess the profitability of the position. There's a lot of sell it, you've made your money and no one ever went broke locking up profits type posts made, rather than rationally looking at the current investment and determining if it is profitable itself.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
It's a fair point but at the end of the day seeing a 200% return or whatever over a short period is an extremely rare event. Unless you believe price action is a random walk made up of a series of independent events, the gambling fallacy doesn't really hold. It's not completely unreasonable for someone to advise you to lock in gains after a huge return like that. From an empirical perspective, if you assume low skew (ie constant volatility, constant risk) of the asset's price then if you see a 200% rise in price then there is a high probability you will see a large correction as well.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Bashez posted:

Weird I went to quote and your whole post changed!

I understand that, you reassess the profitability of the position. There's a lot of sell it, you've made your money and no one ever went broke locking up profits type posts made, rather than rationally looking at the current investment and determining if it is profitable itself.

There's no way to rationally determine if a price will go up, or down - only that the current price is either two high or two low for a given security. Even this is impossible with most companies these days because they trade at such inflated prices relative to their earnings and assets. With that in mind, by holding onto a position, you are simply rolling the dice again to see if it will become even more overvalued, with the risk that the market will come to it's senses (it usually does) and you'll end up losing both your gains and potentially your initial investment.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

skull wall posted:

I don't have ability to PM so I thought I'd mention that the goon's guide to day trading (pineapplewatch.com) link in the OP is dead. :rip:

You can still use the link with archive.org to get the guide.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes, I'm trying to get into options trading. Long calls only, at least for now. I'm having issues understanding orders.

Example close order from my broker's website:
code:
<FIXML xmlns="http://www.fixprotocol.org/FIXML-5-0-SP2">
  <Order TmInForce="0" Typ="2" Side="2" Px=".19" PosEfct="C" Acct="12345678">
    <Instrmt CFI="OC" SecTyp="OPT" MatDt="2011-02-11T00:00:00.000-05:00" StrkPx="16" Sym="F"/>
    <OrdQty Qty="1"/>
  </Order>
</FIXML>
Where "CFI" sets call or put, "Side" sets buy or sell, and "PosEfct" sets open or close.

So I could start a position at a specified strike price and expiration with Call, Buy and Open. Seems straightforward. To end it, I'd use Call, Sell and Close.

Questions
-What would closing a position I don't own do? (ie Call, Buy, Close) Spit out an error like trying to sell a stock long you don't own?

-Why do you need expiration and strike price for closing a position like this? Don't you specify it when you open? What will changing those values do? Do they need to match what you opened it with? Is it just to correlate with your original order if you opened multiple ones on the same symbol?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 8, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Dominoes posted:

Questions
-What would closing a position I don't own do? (ie Call, Buy, Close) Spit out an error like trying to sell a stock long you don't own?

-Why do you need expiration and strike price for closing a position like this? Don't you specify it when you open? What will changing those values do? Do they need to match what you opened it with? Is it just to correlate with your original order if you opened multiple ones on the same symbol?

If you sell a call contract that you do not already own, then you will have written and sold a new contract and will be short the position.

You need to specify the strike and expiry because how are they supposed to know if you're trying to sell a contract you are long or are trying to write a new contract?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

DNova posted:

If you sell a call contract that you do not already own, then you will have written and sold a new contract and will be short the position.

You need to specify the strike and expiry because how are they supposed to know if you're trying to sell a contract you are long or are trying to write a new contract?

Isn't shorting the position, or writing a new contract Call, Sell, Open? (not Call, Sell, Close)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Dominoes posted:

Isn't shorting the position, or writing a new contract Call, Sell, Open? (not Call, Sell, Close)

Yes, that's true. Are you trying to use their API? I suppose this is a question you'd really have to ask your broker.