Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

ASB voice is leagues better in my opinion.
Agreed. His voice here's a bit deeper than I imagined Kakyoin to sound like and almost sounds like Jotaro's. Maybe it'll be better once we're used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Why did they bother getting like a million voice actors for the game if they weren't going to use them on the show? His new voice really does sound worse than what they already had.

Emerald Splash was satisfactory though I guess.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I may be mistaken but apparently the Hyperdimension Neptunia anime did very poorly and as such they couldn't afford to get the VAs for jojo back. I remember reading that somewhere.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Eh, as long as they find the right actors for each role, it won't matter if they're well known or not (as awesome as the ASB cast was). Look at how good Speedwagon, Stroheim and Caesar turned out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I may be mistaken but apparently the Hyperdimension Neptunia anime did very poorly and as such they couldn't afford to get the VAs for jojo back. I remember reading that somewhere.

Wait, so some moe otaku-bait schlock failed, but a legitimately good JJBA adaptation succeeded? That is the strangest drat thing.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

It could be that David Production is working with a different model, but in general this is not how anime funding works. Scheduling conflicts (or perhaps even something as simple as the the casting director changing their mind about the character) is more likely.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

LordMune posted:

It could be that David Production is working with a different model, but in general this is not how anime funding works.

I'm kind of curious, how does funding normally work?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Generally, the distributor does the funding for the anime individually. David not making money on Neptunia doesn't mean anything for Jojo since the funding for Jojo comes from Warner, not David.

Edit: Similarly, the success of the first Jojo anime actually DOES affect Stardust, since it's probably convinced Warner to give David a larger budget this time around.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It's a bit like how game developers owned/working for Publishers (like EA, Activision etc) don't necessarily gain any more money themselves if their games do well (see: Obsidian).
But in anime it's usually a group of companies/sponsors coming together to divy up the pie instead of one big publisher.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Waffleman_ posted:

Generally, the distributor does the funding for the anime individually. David not making money on Neptunia doesn't mean anything for Jojo since the funding for Jojo comes from Warner, not David.

Edit: Similarly, the success of the first Jojo anime actually DOES affect Stardust, since it's probably convinced Warner to give David a larger budget this time around.

And with Stardust Crusaders being as popular as it is, that could easily mean an even LARGER budget for Duwang is Not Crash :swoon:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CodfishCartographer posted:

And with Stardust Crusaders being as popular as it is, that could easily mean an even LARGER budget for Duwang is Not Crash :swoon:

And then Part 5 is MEGA popular! :syoon: Although I don't like it very much.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Waffleman_ posted:

Part 4 is the one I really want to see animated, but maybe the part 5 will finally let us see why Japan likes it so much.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a series where every set of voice actors got replaced at one point or another for whatever reason. Might I remind at one point Norio Wakamoto voiced Dio for some drama CDs and then never voiced him again? It's not like there's ever really been a dedicated cast of VAs for JoJo, it's one of the Japanese series I can think of that's unique in that way.

Broseph Brostar posted:

But maybe the part 5 will finally let us see why Japan likes it so much.

I'm genuinely curious about this as well, actually. There's a lot about Part 5 that intrigues me and its popularity is pretty polarizing.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 7, 2014

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Waffleman_ posted:

Which will then lead to Part 6 getting animated. Hopefully at that point JoJo will be popular enough to warrant SBR getting animated, but I'm worried if Stone Ocean will make enough money for it :(

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think if we make it to Part 5, it's pretty safe to say this gravy train is riding us all the way to SBR.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly I think Part 3 is too popular to not fund Part 4, and Part 5 is too popular to not get funded and then fund Part 6. Not sure on SBR, unfortunately, but hopefully it'll be enough money in total to make it there (and maybe Part 8 if it's done at that point)

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I would literally squeal if the made a SBR anime, even if that would be a decade from now.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
Kakyoin's voice is kinda weird to me but I imagine I'll get over it. What I really care about is how his laugh in the sun fight will hopefully sound like.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just listened to the PV and while that isn't my perfect Kakyoin voice, it's still pretty good. He's a bit beefy and his presence is bombastic enough to make it work, I just think he's gonna have to get down the weirder aspects of the character before I can say if it's better or worse than any others. Basically, I await the Rubber Soul episodes.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I think part 5 would really feel better animated.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm afraid this Jojo train is going to stall in part 6, maybe they could cut the two of the sons of Dio and keep Bohemian Rhapsody. Then the end won't be so drawn out.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Gotta have my rods

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Keep all of Part 6. I don't care how much it could get drawn out, you are not denying me Rods and the Miami Dolphins.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I'm reserving my judgment until I hear a RERORERORERORERORERO.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
That Kakyoin voice is way better then the limp-wristed and overly sinister sounding ASB voice :colbert:. Capcom game is still probably the best, but that's more because capcom kakyoin is really silly and has a crazy voice filter.

re: part 5. It's not that "only japan likes it" it's that "the few parts of the world that get official releases (so japan, itally and I think france?) of part 5 like it".

The current english translation for part 5 is loving garbage. Like, there are all sorts of minor (and frankly inexcusable) issues with it, but the main problem is that it makes poo poo up based on the bits of it they could actually translate. It gets the very loose details of what is happening in the scene(mostly, there are times where it goes way of the rails and is essentially a complete rewrite) but because it almost never gets the context correct it gives scenes a completely different/less interesting feeling.

Combine that with the grammar being bad but not in a funny way like duwang (oddly enough a much more accurate translation then part 5) just in a way that's boring and hard to read/process. This is why you here people complain about how they didn't like any of the characters. Like, there's no accounting for taste and all but a bunch of the scenes/lines that are referenced in ASB don't even happen in the current translation

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 7, 2014

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

I'm afraid this Jojo train is going to stall in part 6, maybe they could cut the two of the sons of Dio and keep Bohemian Rhapsody. Then the end won't be so drawn out.

You really want to skip out on the rods fight where Jolyne just says gently caress it and sets herself on fire? Or the Underground fight featuring Jolyne getting stuck in a crashing plane that is in a hole in the ground under a hospital with another crashing plane near it and also the whole Larry Csonka summoned to beat them up thing?

Shameful

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I hear lots of talk about how things are blatantly wrong in Part 5 translation, but I've always been curious about specific examples. I trust that it's bad, but am just curious about which parts are wrong other than "there's lotsa wrong parts trust me"

The only one I know for sure is that the one map is inaccurate.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can give you a pretty good example, Narancia vs Squalo and Tizziano. When Narancia goes in for the kill on Squalo and does what is supposed to be his battle cry (Volavolavola), the translation said something along the lines of "NOW YOU DIE!" I proceed to look for scans of this part later because I was curious how accurate everything was and I get to that page and I just see loving Kana everywhere for "VOLA VOLA VOLA" which is interesting because Volare Via translates from Italian to English as "Fly away" not a command to die.

That being said, Part 5 is not bereft of personality because the translation is garbage, that is only a factor of it. Part 5 is also bereft of expressive characters who interact with one another constantly and has a lovely villain whose only defining feature is his goofy character design. Literally all of the interesting stuff in Part 5 is the stands and fights.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Just by comparing the re-done first three volumes you should be able to find tons.

However, someone specifically made this http://imgur.com/Ll57EGQ, which is one of the more extreme examples because it's essentially two completely different rants.

quote:

Part 5 is also bereft of expressive characters who interact with one another constantly
This is pretty much all part 5 is, though? Most fights are 2 v 2 and everything else is people chilling at a resturant on on some sort of transport to the next fight. I mean, you can argue that they didn't undergo ~meaningful character development~ but not expressive?

Diavolo is kinda lame but I thought the fact that he was intentionally the opposite of DIO is kinda neat.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 7, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Part 5 is also bereft of expressive characters who interact with one another constantly

While I don't like Part 5 this isn't true at all, Buccelati's gang is great and they're always loving around with one another.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did I miss something in part 6 or was it just Araki being Araki: When Pucci was gathering all the sons of dio there was a little blurb at the end of the chapter all "But Giorno is also a son of dio, maybe he's also in Florida????" and then nothing. Did I skip a chapter where he made a brief cameo or did Araki just kind of decide he didn't want Giorno ever to appear again? :v:"

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did I miss something in part 6 or was it just Araki being Araki: When Pucci was gathering all the sons of dio there was a little blurb at the end of the chapter all "But Giorno is also a son of dio, maybe he's also in Florida????" and then nothing. Did I skip a chapter where he made a brief cameo or did Araki just kind of decide he didn't want Giorno ever to appear again? :v:"

Araki forgets stuff all the time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

This is pretty much all part 5 is, though? Most fights are 2 v 2 and everything else is people chilling at a resturant on on some sort of transport to the next fight. I mean, you can argue that they didn't undergo ~meaningful character development~ but not expressive?

The earlier parts of Part 5 paint a better picture of the group than what ends up happening throughout most of the story. A lot of the earlier stuff is them loving around with each other, then when taking Trish back to Diavolo starts happening, they stop being as fun and become more dull with very few exceptions. More than half of the fights are solo. Off the top of my head I can name Black Sabbath, Sale, Formaggio, Prosciutto, Pesci, Melone, Squalo and Tizziano, Secco, Cioccolatta, and Diavolo is fought solo every time he is fought. The team stops really being goofy when the Squad shows up for the most part, notable exceptions being the end of Ghiaccio's fight and the body switching.

I mean I like Narancia and Bruno, but the team of Part 5 is really boring and don't have anything like Part 3 and 4 had before it. In those the team was always in some way interacting with one another in different ways, they were teamed up with everyone at one point or another (I think Avdol/Kakyoin is like the only team that never got focus) and in Part 4's favor they were getting into all sorts of nutty stuff. It's not even character development, it's the dynamic of a group.

quote:

Diavolo is kinda lame but I thought the fact that he was intentionally the opposite of DIO is kinda neat.

Diavolo is very damning of Part 5 as a whole, because he had a lot of buildup and Araki had no idea what his end result was going to be, which is Part 5 in a nutshell.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just Araki being Araki. There are a few times in the series where things like that happen. I always just assumed that Araki had plans to start off with and then just changed his mind, like how (more stone ocean stuff) Annasui was a girl when he first showed up or the various bits in part 4 like characters suddenly becoming shorter, or the thing with Josuke's backstory regarding his hair that I'm sure everybody reading thought would be explained as like a time travel thing later but it turned out to just be some unrelated person. Araki isn't afraid to change his mind about poo poo I guess and as much as I'd have loved to see Giorno at least cameo in part 6's climax, we just have to accept what Araki put out.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I think at the time he wrote that Araki was considering putting Giorno into the finale but decided he didn't fit in anywhere and left him out.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Diavolo is very damning of Part 5 as a whole, because he had a lot of buildup and Araki had no idea what his end result was going to be, which is Part 5 in a nutshell.

Did you only read part 5 via the bad scans, or no? I'm not trying to say that you can't like part 5 or anything, just curious.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

You really want to skip out on the rods fight where Jolyne just says gently caress it and sets herself on fire?

Oh poo poo how could I forget about one of the most badass pages in all of jojo?

Jolyne truly is the most badass Jojo, and she ironically has the worst stand of any protagonist. The way that her and Hermes have seemingly crappy stands but make up for it by doing extremely clever things with them is easily the best part of part 6.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
My favorite example of bad translation in part 5 is this one:

Compare with a competent translation:

Notice how the stuff that Polpo says seems perfectly plausible until you check the accurate translation and realize that these people literally did not know how to transliterate ミケランジェロ.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

Just Araki being Araki. There are a few times in the series where things like that happen. I always just assumed that Araki had plans to start off with and then just changed his mind, like how (more stone ocean stuff) Annasui was a girl when he first showed up or the various bits in part 4 like characters suddenly becoming shorter, or the thing with Josuke's backstory regarding his hair that I'm sure everybody reading thought would be explained as like a time travel thing later but it turned out to just be some unrelated person. Araki isn't afraid to change his mind about poo poo I guess and as much as I'd have loved to see Giorno at least cameo in part 6's climax, we just have to accept what Araki put out.

It's really astonishing just how much Araki doesn't give a poo poo about changing things even after they've happened, like with Going Underground being renamed to Born This Way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

WickedHate posted:

It's really astonishing just how much Araki doesn't give a poo poo about changing things even after they've happened, like with Going Underground being renamed to Born This Way.

I wonder if Araki retcons more or less than Hideo Kojima.

• Locked thread