Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Mexican Sandwich posted:

I've been giving it a whirl on Cockatrice to see how it plays out. Last night I played against Azorious Control and Jund Monsters, and would like to see a primer on what to sideboard.

Pithing Needle and some more board wipe...another Ratchet Bomb, Mizzium Mortars and maybe Anger of the Gods?

Honestly in BOTH of those I'd side in a third Ratchet Bomb and 3 Pithing Needles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Korak posted:

Did the goons playing Murdergoats ever post a primer on all the interactions the deck can go through?

I haven't, though as someone pointed out I have a few of them in the TappedOut link in my avatar. I'm sure if there was an Avengers Assemble of MG players they would all give you little tips and tricks.

Mexican Sandwich posted:

I've been giving it a whirl on Cockatrice to see how it plays out. Last night I played against Azorious Control and Jund Monsters, and would like to see a primer on what to sideboard.

Going to use my current list here:

Against UW control you'll want to bring in 3x Pithing Needle, 3x Slaughter Games, 1x Rakdos's Return, and 1x Trading post, taking out a single Akroan Horse, all three Mizzium Mortars, both copies of Ultimate Price, and two copies of Young Pyromancer. Your hope here is to basically grind him out; Ultimate Price isn't too useful against Aetherling unless you have multiples and he has less than three mana open. Dropping a Pithing Needle and naming Aetherling does a lot more damage. Kill any Planeswalkers that are played, but be aware of Elspeth, Sun's Champion, because short of having two Horses out you are likely to be overrun by tokens (ironically). Slaughter Games targets should run 1) Elspeth 2) Aetherling 3) Sphinx's Revelation. Once you take out their win conditions, even a Sphinx can only do so much.

Against GR Monsters, it's a trickier beast because you want enough removal to deal with their big creatures but wiping out their mana dorks can really set them back and make Nykthos worthless. For them, you want to bring in 1x Akroan Horse, 1x Anger of the Gods, 2x Bile Blight, and 3x Slaughter Games, and take out 1x Trading Post, 1x Tymaret, 2x Young Pyromancer, and 3x Mizzium Mortars. Slaughter Games targets should run: 1) Stormbreath Dragon 2) Kalonian Hydra 3) Domri Rade. You want to remove their two best ways of damaging you (flying and trample) and then go after Domri. If you run into the versions that also use Xenagos (planeswalker) you may want to find room for Pithing Needle, though you should still name Domri just to slow their card advantage.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

bhsman posted:

Against GR Monsters, it's a trickier beast because you want enough removal to deal with their big creatures but wiping out their mana dorks can really set them back and make Nykthos worthless. For them, you want to bring in 1x Akroan Horse, 1x Anger of the Gods, 2x Bile Blight, and 3x Slaughter Games, and take out 1x Trading Post, 1x Tymaret, 2x Young Pyromancer, and 3x Mizzium Mortars. Slaughter Games targets should run: 1) Stormbreath Dragon 2) Kalonian Hydra 3) Domri Rade. You want to remove their two best ways of damaging you (flying and trample) and then go after Domri. If you run into the versions that also use Xenagos (planeswalker) you may want to find room for Pithing Needle, though you should still name Domri just to slow their card advantage.

Monsters lists don't play nykthos, and Kalonian hydra is a very rare inclusion. Stormbreath> domri> ghor clan/xenagos are probably better options for slaughter games. Polukranos is a big dude, but shouldn't be too hard to deal with without ghor clan.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Count Bleck posted:

I remember when I played magic with other people for the first time, RTR prerelease event.

Some douchenozzle gave me Detention Sphere, Righteous Authority and Supreme Verdict for at-the-time very valuable Deathrite Shaman, the process was literally "you want this, this, and this, I'll take that."

This is certainly bad and all, but I'd like to note that I've run into the opposite problem, where people insist on trades even though the value is horribly slanted in my favor, I've pointed this fact out to them, and I'd feel like a terrible person if I accepted without trying to even things up somewhat. I mean, taking advantage of someone is definitely much worse, but the reverse is out there too.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Against the latest lists, I'd say Nylea -> Stormbreath -> Domri. Polukranos is just a big dude that you can chump all day long, and Xenagos is annoying, but managable. The problem is Nylea giving all those big dorks trample.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Can someone explain the functional difference between Mistform Ultimus's "has all creature types" ability and changeling? I seem to remember there being some subtle functional difference but I can't find it or figure it out.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Can someone explain the functional difference between Mistform Ultimus's "has all creature types" ability and changeling? I seem to remember there being some subtle functional difference but I can't find it or figure it out.

Technically, Mistform Ultimus is a vanilla 3/3, and just has all 1200 creature types on its type line. For a practical application, Humility would make a creature with Changeling into a shapeshifter with no other types, while it wouldn't affect Mistform Ultimus other than giving it -2/-2.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

E; fb.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

legoman727 posted:

Against the latest lists, I'd say Nylea -> Stormbreath -> Domri. Polukranos is just a big dude that you can chump all day long, and Xenagos is annoying, but managable. The problem is Nylea giving all those big dorks trample.

Completely agree with this, I can compete with G/R decks reasonably well until nylea comes on to the board and it usually is a instant GG. Oh, also if you block a tramply creature (Let's say a 6/6) with a token and you sac the token, would you still take 5 damage?

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Tharizdun posted:

Technically, Mistform Ultimus is a vanilla 3/3, and just has all 1200 creature types on its type line. For a practical application, Humility would make a creature with Changeling into a shapeshifter with no other types, while it wouldn't affect Mistform Ultimus other than giving it -2/-2.

Is it like the difference between the old "is indestructible" and the new "indestructible" ability? Like, one is just stating something true about the object while the other is an in-game ability.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Changeling is an ability and can be affected by things that remove abilities, Mistform Ultimus is just every type.

Also something something old rule about Wall creature type grumble get off my lawn

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Consecrated Sphinx is the dumbest possible card in multiplayer

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Tharizdun posted:

I just don't understand why one of them is considered an ability and the other isn't, since they say the exact same things.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Looks like Changeling is a keyword ability, while Mistform Ultimus has a static effect. This would matter if some kind of "target creature loses all abilities" effect were to happen.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Samael posted:

Completely agree with this, I can compete with G/R decks reasonably well until nylea comes on to the board and it usually is a instant GG. Oh, also if you block a tramply creature (Let's say a 6/6) with a token and you sac the token, would you still take 5 damage?

You'd take all 6 damage. If a creature with trample is blocked but the creature blocking it no longer exists when combat damage is dealt, the trample creature can assign all its damage to the player/planeswalker.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I just don't understand why one of them is considered an ability and the other isn't, since they say the exact same things.

They don't say the same things. There is a real fact that Wizards has about 2 inches for the type line on their card. Mistform Ultimus, in a perfect world, would have a type line similar to Our Market Research Shows That Players Like Really Long Card Names So We Made this Card to Have the Absolute Longest Card Name Ever Elemental (x100)

This isn't realistic, so they added what is effectively reminder text without putting it in parentheses. There actually is a Magic Arcana page that gets updated with each new set solely showing Mistform Ultimus's "true" type line.

Changeling is an ability (usually on creatures with the type Shapeshifter) just the same as flying, and can be taken away the same way.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GP Queue

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Samael posted:

You take the full 6, you're no longer blocking with 1 toughness so the damage leaks through completely.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Pretty happy I stayed home. I was excited when it topped the new prize tier but then it doubled (and more) since then.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Tharizdun posted:

They don't say the same things. There is a real fact that Wizards has about 2 inches for the type line on their card. Mistform Ultimus, in a perfect world, would have a type line similar to Our Market Research Shows That Players Like Really Long Card Names So We Made this Card to Have the Absolute Longest Card Name Ever Elemental (x100)

This isn't realistic, so they added what is effectively reminder text without putting it in parentheses. There actually is a Magic Arcana page that gets updated with each new set solely showing Mistform Ultimus's "true" type line.

Changeling is an ability (usually on creatures with the type Shapeshifter) just the same as flying, and can be taken away the same way.

I understand that it works that way, what I don't understand is how anyone could determine this just by reading the cards. They tell you the same things. Why is it an ability that can be taken away when it's preceded by the word "changeling", but not an ability that can be taken away when it isn't?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

I understand that it works that way, what I don't understand is how anyone could determine this just by reading the cards. They tell you the same things. Why is it an ability that can be taken away when it's preceded by the word "changeling", but not an ability that can be taken away when it isn't?

Because one is listed as a keyword, which means it is an ability, and one is just A Truth. It's the same difference as a hydra being 0/0 and having triggered ETB ability "put counters on it when it enters" and nighthowler or whatever being */* and just actually being that P/T.

It's obviously a narrow difference, but it is there.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I bet it's layers. It's always layers.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

forbidden lesbian posted:

I bet it's layers. It's always layers.

Specifically the 4th and 6th in this case

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Does someone have a link to the "good" draft cards from Theros and Born? I did my first Magic in 15 years at a draft last week at FNM, and ended up forcing the hell out of Red/Green since I opened a Xenagod pack 1 pick 1. Looking back, I realize that Red and Green were not AT ALL open, and I only pulled out the wins I did when Xenagod did work for me.

I want to familiarize myself with some of the best common/uncommons to help see what colors are open, and I remember reading a link about that a while back, but can't find it anymore.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

End of Life Guy posted:

Looks like Changeling is a keyword ability, while Mistform Ultimus has a static effect. This would matter if some kind of "target creature loses all abilities" effect were to happen.

Would Nameless Inversion have the same effect on Mistform Ultimus as it does on Changelings?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Devor posted:

Does someone have a link to the "good" draft cards from Theros and Born? I did my first Magic in 15 years at a draft last week at FNM, and ended up forcing the hell out of Red/Green since I opened a Xenagod pack 1 pick 1. Looking back, I realize that Red and Green were not AT ALL open, and I only pulled out the wins I did when Xenagod did work for me.

I want to familiarize myself with some of the best common/uncommons to help see what colors are open, and I remember reading a link about that a while back, but can't find it anymore.

Give this a listen.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Re: GR Monsters sideboarding

I've only played versions that run Xenagos and the like, so I was going on that. \:shobon:/

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

rabidsquid posted:

Would Nameless Inversion have the same effect on Mistform Ultimus as it does on Changelings?

Yes. They all have all creature types, it's only a weirdly technical difference in the reason.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Devor posted:

Does someone have a link to the "good" draft cards from Theros and Born?

Luis Scott Vargas does a color by color review of new sets in both a limited (draft and sealed) and constructed frame of view. He starts with white and works his way through.

Born of tbe Gods: http://www.channelfireball.com/home/born-of-the-gods-limited-review-white/

Theros:http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/theros-set-review-white/

G-Money
May 12, 2004

did I mention I have cancer?
Anyone at the GP want to play some games? My buddies both work for SCG and I'll be around after we grab some food. Could meet in this Cyber Cafe area, want to warm up with a few before I hop into a trial. COME GET WRECKED.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

If I don't have byes but preregistered what time should I show up tomorrow

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Mortimesr posted:

If I don't have byes but preregistered what time should I show up tomorrow

They don't do Saturday registration anymore, so everyone will have pre-registered, so probably the same time as everyone else.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Tharizdun posted:

Not really though? Mistform Ultimus's ability is still an ability, it's just not keyworded. It still gets taken away just like anything else. The reason that it is still every creature type is because its ability's effect applies in layer 4 but gets taken away in layer 6, at which point it doesn't matter because Mistform Ultimus was already given every creature type - which is also exactly how changeling works.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

They don't do Saturday registration anymore, so everyone will have pre-registered, so probably the same time as everyone else.

Yeah but what time? Supposedly decklists have to be in by 10, so get there at 9?
I dunno anything about this.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Mortimer posted:

Yeah but what time? Supposedly decklists have to be in by 10, so get there at 9?
I dunno anything about this.

The only time I see is "gp Richmond starts at 10am", and that you can report as late as 11:15am if you have one bye, meaning round one won't be over before 11:15, meaning round one would start at 10:30ish, and given an a brief players meeting, showing up between 9-9:30 sounds right.
That'd give you plenty of time to get your bearings and find card vendors/food stands/ the screens that list pairings and so on.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I could've totally went to Richmond this weekend because I just learned I am off this entire weekend but now its too late :argh:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Looks like the Modern Event Deck is confirmed to be B/W tokens. Only confirmed rares/mythics are Elspeth Knight Errant, Hero of Bladehold, and Honor of the Pure. Image in the link.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/the-rumor-mill/547368-modern-event-deck-contents

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

whydirt posted:

Looks like the Modern Event Deck is confirmed to be B/W tokens. Only confirmed rares/mythics are Elspeth Knight Errant, Hero of Bladehold, and Honor of the Pure. Image in the link.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/the-rumor-mill/547368-modern-event-deck-contents

Bwwahaha. Bitchin'. Knight Errant and Hero of Bladehold were two of the only rares I've been looking to throw in my EDH deck.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

whydirt posted:

How very...underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Should I be looking to move my Shocklands any time soon, or at least the ones I'm not using? I figure their price will dip at rotation as a lot come onto the market, but I don't know what will happen over time, when all these cards are only wanted for Modern.

whydirt posted:

No mention of Sorin, LoI, who I would think would be a headline card if he was in. Elspeth and Hero are good and welcome though. Guess it might have a Marsh Flats.

• Locked thread