Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009
I purchased Boson's CCENT simulator and really liked it. Most people here do GNS3 or whatever but I decided to drop some money and I thought it worked well.

The big downside is now that I'm done with the cert it's kinda useless since it's not fully featured but overall a good product if you don't want to fart around with hardware or figuring out the free simulators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
Passed the 74-325 today. 876/1000 not bad for learning I needed to take it by March 7th on the 27th of February effectively.

P.S This is a terrible test with completely wrong and out of date information. It is bad.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I'm trying to get more experience with server 2008 since that is what we use and it doesn't sound like we're going to be migrating in the near future. Would something like Server 2008 R2 Unleashed be good? Is it more of a reference for someone that knows what they're doing or can I use it to sort of train myself? Do the cert specific books detail practice tasks so I'm not noodling around aimlessly in a VM? What generally works best for me is learning by doing with moderately clear goals that were built upon previous tasks. This all sounds like what cert training material is to be honest but I don't want to be stuck with the wrong one.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I'm finally getting off my rear end and getting myself out of ISP helpdesk. I'm currently getting N+ because my work is paying for classes and it'll help me be more mobile there for stupid reasons. I'm not entirely sure why I decided to take classes when I'm not really learning anything new, but hey free stuff. I have no desire to get an A+.

I'm looking to take the Windows Server path and get a new job somewhere along the way, hopefully one that isn't just another L1 helpdesk type gig. Should I be looking at MTA > MCSA? Like 98-365 > 70-410/411/412? Or should I skip straight to starting in on MCSA?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Raymn posted:

I'm trying to get more experience with server 2008 since that is what we use and it doesn't sound like we're going to be migrating in the near future. Would something like Server 2008 R2 Unleashed be good? Is it more of a reference for someone that knows what they're doing or can I use it to sort of train myself? Do the cert specific books detail practice tasks so I'm not noodling around aimlessly in a VM? What generally works best for me is learning by doing with moderately clear goals that were built upon previous tasks. This all sounds like what cert training material is to be honest but I don't want to be stuck with the wrong one.

When I randomly got thrown into the Windows admin deep end, these two books were a huge help. They don't assume advanced knowledge. But from what I remember they don't include any exercises or mini labs like you're talking about, either. They just walk you through the different features and tools, how to use them, troubleshooting etc. I actually learn best the same way as you, by doing. You can always invent projects of your own to lab up, like "set up a basic domain controller and get my Win 7 client VM joined to it. Create a domain user and allow them to log in. Manage some desktop settings by group policy. Create a new DNS zone. Create a DHCP server. Make the client PC use those."

General Windows Server admin and AD basics: Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2
Group Policy specific: Group Policy: Fundamentals, Security, and the Managed Desktop

Those links are to the latest, 2012 editions. But I'm sure you can find the 2008 editions if you'd rather not get confused by material you won't need.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 8, 2014

Vaccuss
Jul 1, 2012

MrKatharsis posted:

What level are you teaching? If you're teaching high school, nobody will need to know anything past basic joins, which you can teach yourself in a few hours. If it's higher level, you probably just want to teach straight from a real textbook.

The industry certs focus largely on syntax and have very little in the way of design.

Ahh thanks for this.
I am teaching high school. I wanted to get the cert to feel a little more solid in the material but I may have to find a text book on it somewhere.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sweet. Stanly course has shown up on my VMware transcripts and I just got the voucher in email. Now I guess I just need to finish studying for the actual exam.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

trunkwontopen posted:

You can safely practice CCNA without the existence of a lab. There's really nothing gained via touching physical equipment that the CCNA covers within its scope. But if you really need to scratch that itch, physical labs can be had for 3-400 on ebay. Some are good, some are not. Stay away from the 2500 series routers.

Is there a good website that lists an example of a solid, but somewhat complicated explanation of route-maps (even prefix-lists) that people can use? My google-fu is bringing up tons of sites on GPS units, and rightfully so, but I need to brush up on that, as well as EIGRP/OSPF route summarizaton.

Thanks to all for your help so far.

You definitely don't need the homelab but there are little idiosyncrasies you should look up before taking the test, like dce/dte clockrates. Packet tracer doesn't give a poo poo and will work anyway, real equipment wont.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I want to play alphabet soup by the end of the year. What sort of preparations do I need to make to start down the CISSP rabbit hole?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

slightpirate posted:

I want to play alphabet soup by the end of the year. What sort of preparations do I need to make to start down the CISSP rabbit hole?
Personal preference but I'd start with the Eric Conrad books; Shonn Harris made me want to become a cutter.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've been reading the one by Stewart and Gibson and it's pretty good (only got a chapter left). Gonna buy the "11th Hour" book by Conrad and then probably take the exam in a month. To be honest, it seems easy as poo poo, but I'm still a bit wary about blowing it off when it's $600 a pop.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Missed the whole clearance / no experience / helpdesk thing last page...

I like stuff posted:

Another newbie who's curious on how helpful a TS/SCI is in northern Virginia. No IT experience, but I'm planning to study for and eventually take the Comptia A+, Network+, and Security+ exams

Assuming I get those 3 certs what would I realistically be looking at employment wise (type of job, salary) in NOVA when paired with my security clearance?

http://www.clearancejobs.com/

I got my current job (helpdesk, contracting for the Army) with no experience, based on my SCI and the requirement to get Sec+, MCTS, and ITIL within 45 days.

From applying to accepting took less than a month.

psydude posted:

Unlikely if he has no experience; 55-60k on the high end. There are very few TS/SCI helpdesk jobs, although there are a couple here and there, most are network/sysadmin type jobs, so after a few years he can expect to be making fat stacks, but not right away.

You can find plenty of helpdesk jobs that require a secret. Those will generally pay in the 45-55k neighborhood.

Also, this completely describes my situation. I'm really digging it though.

edit: also, these groupons keep popping up for me, are they worth anything?
http://www.groupon.com/deals/career-academy-8-nashville
http://www.groupon.com/deals/it-university-online-20-nashville

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 13, 2014

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

incoherent posted:

Yup. Self-paced exams books are the go-to starting point. However to succeed on the any microsoft test you're going to need to read that book, do a transcender study test (to prepare you for Microsoft Test Logic), and a CBT to get the objectives down. Fortunately, there is a completely FREE 70-680 cbt for you to watch here.

I'd also recommend cross-reading another 70-690 book, Like the 70-680 Rapid review book from microsoft. Rapid reviews are literally bullet point breakdowns, but only read it after you've done the self-paced. Also never skip a chapter because you just "know" because there will be some goddamn gotcha in a paragraph that they'll test you on.

Then, meet back here in ~4ish months and tell us how much you've passed by.

Im gonna have to call bullshit on the Transcender for use as prep for MS tests. STINKY SMELLY BULLSHIT! I had a class for 70-642 and got a max score of 500, using the associated Transcender and 6421a book from MS Official courses http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Official-Configuring-Troubleshooting-Infrstructure/dp/B002BW0ROE

The first goddamn question on the test asked what was NOT covered in class or the entirety of this book. Encrypted POP3? Well I now know its 995, but when the test asks questions, and there were a few, that was NOT on this associated course book I was loving livid. Coupled with the fact that the questions asked in the Transcender were not at all scoped how they were on the test. The TS had many many questions that were a huge multi part paragraph of setup, while the actual test, had questions that were mostly 2~3 sentences long. Im going to have to go back and get some of these different books like the Self study mentioned or one that was on NAP that a goon in this thread mentioned previously. He failed with a similar score, read that NAP book and extracted 200 more points to pass the test.

It just blows me away that something listed as an "official" Microsoft course varies so goddamn wildly from the actual test.

Edit=Finally caught up with the thread, Good luck MC. I don't know why my college started the first exposure to MS poo poo with 70-642. We just completed class for 70-680 Windows 7, but I give no fucks about that right now. I have upcoming classes for 70-640 and 70-646, I would hope those fare a bit better than 642.

642 was just....gently caress, so much thrown at you, and for the first exposure too and to be asked questions that ARE NOT in the book, or have test questions that literally go to ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO on a choice when you never have more than 4~6 on the Transcender. I have seen some refer to that test as "The beast". Anyway I completed hosed up CCNA scratch that CCENT training in school but havent taken CCENT yet, because when we registered for the course work a few years back the changes to Cisco hadnt even been announced yet. I need to take my CCENT and get it done, but I test horribly. We had 2 different classes scheduled, class 1 was to be CCENT, class 2 was to be the rest to complete CCNA, and that got thrown out the Window. Will have to study the 200 series material on my own.

I understand the concepts pretty good and can navigate IOS but put a test in front of me and I freak. Don't know if that is what happened somewhat on 642 or not. Im currently in Security+ studies and it seems like a lot of review. We are using Transcender on it, but the questions for it are a night/day difference between how it is setup for any MSFT stuff. I have an ancient A+ from 2001, Helpdesk Analyst Cert, an ITIL Foundations 3 Cert and as of today 103 credit hours for a BS in Network Management. Graduation is around Sept/Dec depending on how many credits I am short, I think about 6.

The plan was to get the BS and Certs for CCNA R&S, S+ and MCSA2008. As it seems now I will have the BS and likely S+ out of the gate, but need to back study on my own for the rest because the way the college did this was not able to withstand that various changes in the MSCA/MCITP and Cisco changes.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 14, 2014

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

MrBigglesworth posted:

Im gonna have to call bullshit on the Transcender for use as prep for MS tests. STINKY SMELLY BULLSHIT! I had a class for 70-642 and got a max score of 500, using the associated Transcender and 6421a book from MS Official courses http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Official-Configuring-Troubleshooting-Infrstructure/dp/B002BW0ROE

The first goddamn question on the test asked what was NOT covered in class or the entirety of this book. Encrypted POP3? Well I now know its 995, but when the test asks questions, and there were a few, that was NOT on this associated course book I was loving livid. Coupled with the fact that the questions asked in the Transcender were not at all scoped how they were on the test. The TS had many many questions that were a huge multi part paragraph of setup, while the actual test, had questions that were mostly 2~3 sentences long. Im going to have to go back and get some of these different books like the Self study mentioned or one that was on NAP that a goon in this thread mentioned previously. He failed with a similar score, read that NAP book and extracted 200 more points to pass the test.

It just blows me away that something listed as an "official" Microsoft course varies so goddamn wildly from the actual test.

Had this exact same problem with the 70-411 Transcender questions. I'll never buy from them again.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
Passed my 70-410 exam today by the skin of my teeth. There's no decent materials out there that really prepped me for the exam. I tried multiple books, and multiple computer based training materials. The only reason I passed was labbin', mock exams and alot of guesswork. It could be that I just suck at this malarky, but I found it incredibly difficult.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
Hey guys, I'm currently studying for the A+. I have a study guide book, but I've also seen a series of videos on YouTube by Professor Messer, and was wondering if yall have watched his videos and thought they were any good before I invest the time in watching them. Thanks!

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Bone posted:

....of videos on YouTube by Professor Messer, and ...

I think his name has been brought up before with positive mention. I'd say go for it, especially if the video ratings are really high/people are commenting "thank" and the like in the comments.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Yeah, I passed the 801 on Thursday (will be taking the 802 on this coming Thursday), and Professor Messer's videos were quite good, certainly better than the awful ones provided as part of my apprenticeship.

Zaii posted:

Passed my 70-410 exam today by the skin of my teeth. There's no decent materials out there that really prepped me for the exam. I tried multiple books, and multiple computer based training materials. The only reason I passed was labbin', mock exams and alot of guesswork. It could be that I just suck at this malarky, but I found it incredibly difficult.
This has me worried, as I was just about to book the 410. :ohdear: Any particular mock exams you'd recommend?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Bone posted:

Hey guys, I'm currently studying for the A+. I have a study guide book, but I've also seen a series of videos on YouTube by Professor Messer, and was wondering if yall have watched his videos and thought they were any good before I invest the time in watching them. Thanks!

I'm watching his videos now for the 70-680 and they're very helpful in understanding concepts, but they're definitely not a stand alone material. I also saved the entire series as mp3 and listen to them during my 45 minute commute every day for extra reinforcement. He explains things very clearly. Compared to cbt nuggets he is more professional, but cbt nuggets explain more detail.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Is the Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) worth doing, specifically the Database Fundamentals path? I'm a data/business analyst trying to move into a more technical role.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

TKovacs2 posted:

Had this exact same problem with the 70-411 Transcender questions. I'll never buy from them again.

I understand where you guys are coming from. It's primarily a suggestion to get into the testing methodology and think about how questions are asked.

Kaplin also makes testing software as well.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Would there be any reason to wait and take both the 801 and 802 at the same time or would it be alright to take the 801 and then the 802 later?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How far out would you schedule the ICND-1 exam if you'd just finished the CBT nuggets video series and read the Lammle book? I think I'm procrastinating because the date isn't looming down on me. Also I need to do some labs with some simulators.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Invest in the Cisco learning labs, great value if you don't have much in the way physical hardware and/or want some pre-made stuff to bang around on. I think for the price they can't be beat.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Inudeku posted:

Would there be any reason to wait and take both the 801 and 802 at the same time or would it be alright to take the 801 and then the 802 later?

I took both of them at the same time and passed them both fine. But then I live 4 hours away from my closest testing center so I don't have much of a choice. Taking them separately would let you tailor your studying more to each test but I didn't really find either test difficult enough to have done that. They cover pretty much the same info but the 802 focuses more on specific troubleshooting issues whereas the 801 is more just fact based.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

The Dreamer posted:

I took both of them at the same time and passed them both fine. But then I live 4 hours away from my closest testing center so I don't have much of a choice. Taking them separately would let you tailor your studying more to each test but I didn't really find either test difficult enough to have done that. They cover pretty much the same info but the 802 focuses more on specific troubleshooting issues whereas the 801 is more just fact based.

That's kind of what I figured. I'm within 20 minutes of a testing center so I may just take a couple weeks in between if I feel I need the extra time on the 802.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

rock2much posted:

How far out would you schedule the ICND-1 exam if you'd just finished the CBT nuggets video series and read the Lammle book? I think I'm procrastinating because the date isn't looming down on me. Also I need to do some labs with some simulators.

I would at least go over the exam objectives and configure everything at least once in GNS3. I would watch the videos, attempt to configure whatever the video was about after the video (important, imo, because any idiot can follow instructions along with a tape), and then google whatever I couldn't figure out.

e: And then you're probably good to schedule the ICND-1. Probably the sooner the better, since the longer you spend not actively configuring things the more you'll forget.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 18, 2014

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reiz posted:

I would at least go over the exam objectives and configure everything at least once in GNS3. I would watch the videos, attempt to configure whatever the video was about after the video (important, imo, because any idiot can follow instructions along with a tape), and then google whatever I couldn't figure out.

e: And then you're probably good to schedule the ICND-1. Probably the sooner the better, since the longer you spend not actively configuring things the more you'll forget.

I think I'll do all the labs in the book, and if it all makes sense, schedule for a week later :sweatdrop:

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Do the tutorials in the two Cisco Routing and Switching Simulators overlap? I'm talking about the newer CCENT Simulator and CCNA Simulator rather than Packet Tracer.

It looks like the CCNA package has "400 tutorials" while the CCENT package has "250 tutorials" but I'm wondering if the 400 is actually just an additional 150 on top of the 250 that are in the CCENT thing. Do I need to buy both? I hope that makes sense.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I guess Cisco is really pushing to "grow the brand" of the CCENT. The CCNA will encompass all of the same poo poo, so if you're planning on going for it (and you might as well), just buy the CCNA version.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I'm going to take the MTA Networking Fundamentals test tomorrow afternoon, 98-366. I'm expecting it to be a breeze test, but I got the retake voucher just in case. If anyone has any questions about it or things they'd like me to watch for, let me know.

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW
Just sat one of the new Citrix exams for CCA: 1Y0-200 "Managing Apps and Desktops for XenDesktop 7"

That was fun. They added simulations to the beginning, which were a buggy pile of horseshit that kicked my rear end. I almost called the proctor over to demonstrate and see if they could reset it, but it didn't appear to affect my score too badly, so whatever.

Probably going to spring for CCP in May. I've read that it's actually pretty hard. We'll see.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

AlternateAccount posted:

I'm going to take the MTA Networking Fundamentals test tomorrow afternoon, 98-366. I'm expecting it to be a breeze test, but I got the retake voucher just in case. If anyone has any questions about it or things they'd like me to watch for, let me know.

:whatup: I'm re-taking mine on Thursday. I don't want to go into specific questions due to $ethics$ but ask me anything you'd like :)

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Paging MC Fruit Stripe, how did you score?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

:whatup: I'm re-taking mine on Thursday. I don't want to go into specific questions due to $ethics$ but ask me anything you'd like :)

Hmm, you raise a good point. Probably bad policy to quote questions. I am not too concerned about it, other than having not taken any non-Apple cert tests in like... 10 years. I'll just spend the evening memorizing the OSI model again, that's the only thing I have seen in practice tests that I was like UGH.

Do you mind sharing what specifically caught you or caused you to fail?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

AlternateAccount posted:

Hmm, you raise a good point. Probably bad policy to quote questions. I am not too concerned about it, other than having not taken any non-Apple cert tests in like... 10 years. I'll just spend the evening memorizing the OSI model again, that's the only thing I have seen in practice tests that I was like UGH.

Do you mind sharing what specifically caught you or caused you to fail?

I'm really early on in my career - I was honestly just poor at networking. One question was concerning which type of CAT cable to use for a certain situation, another was about the OSI model. It's been a while so I can't recall which questions I drew a complete blank on. Honestly it's fairly simple stuff (Now that I've revised!). I didn't know what a multicast IP address was, actually. I also incorrectly stated that a hub is used for connecting subnets together, when it was a different piece of hardware.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, cool. I used to teach the "Local Area Networking" course at a lovely "college" so if I fail this, I will never live it down :[

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm starting to read on ICND1. Is there any sites to help with learning the binary conversions and such? I'll definitely need help with that. I know there's a subnet test site but that comes later.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Binary conversion is easy

code:
128  64   32  16  8  4  2  1 This set of numbers never EVER changes, just start with 1 on the far right, double till you get 128 on left.

All of these numbers end up adding to 255.

Placing a 0 or 1 in any column "activates" that bit, so you add all the 1's and ignore all the zeros.

1111 1111  is 255
0000 0000 is 0
0000 0001 is 1
0000 0010 is 2
0001 0000 is 16
0101 0010 is 82
1000 0000 is 128
0111 1111 is 127
1111 0000 is 240

So if you see this

128  64   32  16  8  4  2  1
 0    0    1   0  0  0  0  1 
The binary number = 33

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Decimal to Binary is a bit more tricky.

Say you have the number 64.

Draw your table

code:
128 64 32 16  8  4  2  1

Will 128 fit into 64?  No, mark 0 below 128

128 64 32 16  8  4  2  1

Will 64 fit 64?  Yup, draw a 1 under it, and you are done, nothing else left so zero all the way 

128 64 32 16  8  4  2  1
 0   1  0  0  0  0  0  0

That was easy, 
==================================

Now lets take a weird number 232.

Will 128 fit into 232?  Yes
128 64 32 16  8  4  2  1

Now subtract those numbers  232-128= 104

Will 64 fit into 104?  Yup, draw your 1 in that column and now subtract 64 from 104 =  40 
Will 32 fit in 40?  Yes, put a 1 in the 32 column, 40-32 =8  Will 16 fit into 8?  Nope, move on, 8 in 8?  Yup, nothing else, zero the rest. 
128 64 32 16  8  4  2  1
 1   1  1  0  1  0  0  0

End result 232 in Decimal = 1110 1000 in binary
128 64 32 16  8  4  2  1
 1   1  1  0  1  0  0  0