Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

fps_bill posted:

Ugh, but it looks so good http://morgantown.craigslist.org/cto/4344213588.html

Turns out the dude is in school......

VIN would be on any insurance paperwork he has, or if he can log into his insurance online it will be listed there somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

keykey posted:

Oh cool, a '97 850 for $3250, DO NOT get this car. I'm going to assume you're living in the bay area from the CL posting, let me familiarize you with this little bastard right here formerly called Appendix J which has since been renamed so people can't find it as easily that smog techs are seemingly unaware of: http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/ftp/pdfdocs/appendix_j.pdf

Essentially it'll fail smog because of open monitors all day, every day. Additionally, you'll need it to fail 2 times before you take it to a referee station. Did I mention that you'll also need a letter signed from the original smog technician that states monitors won't clear even though it's on Appendix J? No? Well, you'll need that too. On that same subject, you'll never be able to get a smog technician to sign anything so you'll have to wait an additional week to show due diligence that you've tried. Now that we have all that out of the way, you can take it to a referee station and it'll pass smog. I had to go through that poo poo twice before I sold my 850 at golden gate auto auction just to get rid of it. But, hey, hope that 850 works out for you..

On the other hand, 850 R.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

keykey posted:

Because it's just a diagnostic and visual inspection without a sniffer in the tailpipe. That is unless OBDII ports can also give HC/CO/NOx/CO2 and O2 readings these days.

The ECU reports catalyst efficiency (via differential between 2 oxygen sensors in a pre/post cat arrangement), as well as EGR flow rates. Without working EGR or cats, it throws a code. A sniffer isn't completely necessary at that point. The other parts of the visual inspection are checking for particulate smoke at idle from the tailpipe and engine bay.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

keykey posted:

Because it's just a diagnostic and visual inspection without a sniffer in the tailpipe. That is unless OBDII ports can also give HC/CO/NOx/CO2 and O2 readings these days.

Those specific readings are irrelevant. What matters is whether they are in an acceptable range, which is EXACTLY what all I/M monitors online and no DTCs means (which is what they are checking for by hooking up to the OBDII port).

Like I said, this type of checking has been legislated into onboard vehicle systems specifically to make tailpipe tests for the purposes of inspection obsolete and so that a little yellow light turns on so the drivers knows something is wrong without getting a tailpipe test at a shop.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

atomicthumbs posted:

On the other hand, 850 R.

One of my dad's friends drives an 850 T5. it has over 500,000km on the clock and still runs smooth as ever.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

Yeah right. What's the closest non smog state?

Oregon. Outside of the Portland and Medford metro areas, there's no smog testing or inspections whatsoever. I've owned multiple daily drivers with no cats or emissions equipment whatsoever merely by registering then at my parents' address in the boonies.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

One was only half a second from qualifying for the Daytona 500, so they just wrote off the whole car.

"Half a second from qualifying" means half a second slower than the slowest car that got in, and based on this year's results that would put it a solid two seconds per lap slower than the leader. In other words, straight up garbage for actual competition.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Half a second from qualifying" means half a second slower than the slowest car that got in, and based on this year's results that would put it a solid two seconds per lap slower than the leader. In other words, straight up garbage for actual competition.

Yeah, poor choice of words on my part. A half second in racing is massive, especially talking about just qualifying times. I was still blown away that they would just dump the entire car, drivetrain and all, instead of keeping it around to tweak and maybe get something out of all that time and money.

That school was like a hot-rodders dream. Race-engine building shop, chassis and engine dyno, flowbenches, a full fabrication shop, and so many RO7s/FR9/R5 engines you practically tripped over them. It was awesome.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

In other words, straight up garbage for actual competition.

That's a pretty good summary of NASCAR as a whole. :rimshot:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Hey now just because the competition is not on the track does not make it any less valid.

Proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etjSLAvO1Sk

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4358973067.html

Who-types-like-this-?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4327210908.html

If the pans are solid it is probably break even - I really like it though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's sweet Ranchero but drat for that price I want the V8 already in it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

leica posted:

Yeah right. What's the closest non smog state? I'd be buying an selling cars like a mofo. Can't pass smog? I'll take it off your hands :)

Southern and Northern Arizona. :v: Anything but Maricopa county, pretty much.

Also,
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4352771990.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Woo I submitted something to BAT, I'm famous now.

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/03/05/68k-mile-1984-toyota-celica-supra-from-original-owner/

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
New Hampshire is truly the South of the North

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4362276265.html

Looks fun (and dangerous) as hell.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mr-Spain posted:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4327210908.html

If the pans are solid it is probably break even - I really like it though.

Watch out, I might go up to Porter and get it first. I love the old Ford straight six.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

War wagon?
http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/4362377585.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

leica posted:

Yeah right. What's the closest non smog state? I'd be buying an selling cars like a mofo. Can't pass smog? I'll take it off your hands :)

California*.

Many people, including many Californians, do not realize that biannual smog checks for registration renewal are only required in the majority, but not every, county in the state. The list of smog check counties is here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2539

Also, the following vehicle types are entirely exempt from biannual smog inspections:
  • Hybrid
  • Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older
  • Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs
  • Electric
  • Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.
  • Motorcycle
  • Trailer

Also, vehicles 6 model years or younger only have to pay a smog abatement fee instead of getting the biannual inspection. Except, diesel vehicles under 14,000 pounds are exempt from this exemption, so they have to get smog checked from year 2.

HOWEVER

Smog checks are required for transfer of a vehicle, so even those exempt from the biannual inspections due to being in one of the non-inspection counties, have to get smog checked when you sell it. Except for vehicles 4 model years or newer, which you can transfer without a smog check. Except diesel vehicles are exempt from this exemption.

EXCEPT

You can transfer a vehicle to a family member without doing the smog check, assuming you've otherwise complied with the biannual check requirements, etc.

What all this adds up to, is that in some cases a car that won't easily pass smog, but will after you put some effort into it, might be sellable within california to someone living in one of the counties where biannual inspections aren't required. These are invariably the least populated counties, so that probably affects which cars are going to be harder to find a buyer for.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Smog checks are required for transfer of a vehicle, so even those exempt from the biannual inspections due to being in one of the non-inspection counties, have to get smog checked when you sell it.

Tell that to all the people selling on Craigslist.

"RUNS GREAT, JUST NEEDS SMOG. GREAT DEAL!"

Which translates to:

"RUNS GREAT, JUST WON'T PASS SMOG. PLEASE TAKE THIS POS OFF MY HANDS"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Also, the following vehicle types are entirely exempt from biannual smog inspections:
  • Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs

The obvious solution here is to drop the screamingest engine you can find and everything else CARB would be mad at into a diesel Volvo 240.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
240s are built like tanks but I think they are still about 5.5 tons short of the GVWR exemption :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Terrible Robot posted:

240s are built like tanks but I think they are still about 5.5 tons short of the GVWR exemption :v:

That's an "or", not an "and". I had to go back and read it again myself.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

atomicthumbs posted:

The obvious solution here is to drop the screamingest engine you can find and everything else CARB would be mad at into a diesel Volvo 240.

455 in an '80s diesel Olds, Cutlass or Delta 88, your choice. I know of people who have done this, and for this reason.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

So what you are saying is that if you exempt the exemption you get exempted?

I could never live in California, I'd be so frustrated with the bullshit.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Darchangel posted:

That's an "or", not an "and". I had to go back and read it again myself.

gently caress, you're right. I even read it twice before posting and still missed it :doh: It's been a long week.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

Or just move out of California. If you like cars and firearms it's worth the hassle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

1791apparel posted:

Or just move out of California. If you like cars and firearms it's worth the hassle.

lol. Seriously if I lived in Cali I'd just give up and drive a Prius.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If something fails OBDII tests, would it necessarily fail a sniffer test? I'm just wondering if California's regime is as dumb as it seems.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Any number of retarded things will turn on the check engine light, therefore failing smog, without impacting tailpipe emissions. It's not that they're dumb per se, it's the natural outcome of a legislature DEMANDING ACTION on X environmental impact and having to come up with all this poo poo to meet it, as well as legislators who are just vindictive nazi tree-huggers. And they couldn't really care less about keeping your older cars on the road. There are definitely laws and rules that were put in place to screw people with older cars, like having to use factory cats, good luck with that in a decade or two. I'm actually surprised they let you do engine swaps at all considering how tight-assed they are about just about everything.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 8, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District pays people $1000 to scrap running cars that are 20 years old or older. I wonder how much cool poo poo has fallen down that hole.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District pays people $1000 to scrap running cars that are 20 years old or older. I wonder how much cool poo poo has fallen down that hole.

Only a vehicle which has been registered as operating, and then fails a smog check. Which admittedly would be child's play to make happen, if you have a car worth less than $1000 you feel like getting a grand for. Also if you're low income and can prove it, it can be up to $1500.

atomicthumbs posted:

I believe you would have to pass some kind of inspection in order to register the car. You would be exempt from biannual inspections, though. I believe it is also illegal in California to delete emissions equipment from the OEM engine, or replace parts of the emissions equipment with anything other than the OEM parts, and the parts stay with the engine (so an engine swap means the original vehicle's OEM emissions kit comes along). But I think this only applies to cars 1974 and newer? And I'm not certain how that interacts with the diesel exemptions.

VideoTapir posted:

If something fails OBDII tests, would it necessarily fail a sniffer test? I'm just wondering if California's regime is as dumb as it seems.

I don't know, but failing the ODBII tests means failing the smog inspection.

1791apparel posted:

There are plenty of California firearmes owning people. Including my dad, who lives within the city of San Francisco. There are gun ranges you can shoot at and gun stores to buy guns at and even places you can go hunting if that's your bag. It's true that you're not likely to get a concealed carry permit, and I think we have stricter laws regarding resale/private sale, registration, etc., but it's a myth that you can't have guns in California.

leica posted:

lol. Seriously if I lived in Cali I'd just give up and drive a Prius.

A Prius is a good car! But really the rules are only unfriendly to people who want to modify their engines for more power or whatever, and then still run them on the road. You can't just remove all the catalytic converters, or run open headers, poo poo like that. And the newer the engine, the more emissions crap you have to keep with it if you're doing an engine swap.

But you gotta understand that the number of people who want to do engine swaps on road cars is a tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of drivers in any state, and as such, they have essentially no voice in the legislature. California has been instrumental in pushing the rest of the country to make and drive cleaner cars, improve gas mileage standards, and so forth... CARB may be an oppressive and annoying entity to deal with and many of the rules are excessively complicated, but the results are undeniable. All you have to do is compare what the LA basin was like 20 or 30 years ago to what it's like now.

But if all you want is to just fix up and drive some variety of classic car, you really can do that here, and it's not really all that hard.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 8, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

but it's a myth that you can't have guns in California.

There are a lot of guns you can't have in California, however, and the laws surrounding them are even dumber than the car restrictions.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://nacogdoches.craigslist.org/cto/4352155403.html

When you really want a white interior.

edit

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4291833135.html

Or perhaps you're like a real Grand National.

edit edit

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4344609314.html

Pretty sweet dashboard.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4338129777.html

Not a whole lot of rear legroom in the old Cadillacs.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 8, 2014

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
What possible loving rationale do they have for anything past a sniffer?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Sinestro posted:

What possible loving rationale do they have for anything past a sniffer?

I presume OBD is cheaper and easier to do right in most cases; but if someone's willing to pay for a sniffer, why not let 'em do it?

Here's a better question; could you pass OBD tests while polluting like a motherfucker?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Those of us in free states would very much appreciate it if California would go stick it's bullshit car and gun laws up its own rear end with a pair of rusty fireplace tongs.

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Those of us in free states would very much appreciate it if California would go stick it's bullshit car and gun laws up its own rear end with a pair of rusty fireplace tongs.

At least the firearm laws don't seem to spill over, the auto regulations do however. We've lost out on various models over the years, especially diesels, because manufacturers didn't want to deal with the BS. CA is a huge market and can impact the entire country pretty easily.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1791apparel posted:

At least the firearm laws don't seem to spill over

Um... Not all of them, sure. But it's not for lack of trying on California politicians' parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

I presume OBD is cheaper and easier to do right in most cases; but if someone's willing to pay for a sniffer, why not let 'em do it?

Here's a better question; could you pass OBD tests while polluting like a motherfucker?

Because a sniffer isn't enough. You need a sniffer and a dyno. That's expensive and a pain in the rear end to run/calibrate and takes up a lot of space.

Can you pass OBDII while polluting? Absolutely. But you need to know how to make that happen, and most people don't or won't.