Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008

Pinky Artichoke posted:

If no Cedar Rapids hockey goons speak up, I know a guy I can ask. It may take me a while to get in touch with him, though.

That'd be awesome. I won't be there until the beginning of June so no worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So apparently I was spoiled in the league I was in down in AL. In that league, not only was there a deliberate attempt to even the teams, but there was a lot of league camraderie as a result. Most everyone knew everyone. We also had all our league games in one day (from about 4-11:30) and that also helped for everyone to know each other. Everyone would sortta get together in 2 or 3 groups in the parking lot and just drink/eat for hours after the game.

Now that I'm back North, the league is barely functional. Huge spread of good-bad teams in each league, and the most drinking that goes on is the few of us that bring a some for a few while changing. No one sticks around, but most of th league games are late and during the week so I hardly blame them for that.

I miss my social beer league. :smith:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So a local wealthy benefactor bought a block of weeknight ice time for to have a game his beer league team and some other folks. He paid for everything including a ref and two sweaters for everyone. Awesome.

His favorite team is the Sharks and his favorite player is Thornton so to say thanks we got him a framed and signed Thornton sweater.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Well, pretty disappointing game last night. We played a team that's known for being chippy jerks when they're losing, and sure enough they started to get stupid when we were leading 2-0 going into the 3rd. They took three penalties on one shift with around six minutes left, but we couldn't score on the 5 on 3, then the third guy came out of the box when he had a minute left on his penalty because the time keeper screwed up and couldn't be bothered to fix it. They wound up scoring twice in the last three minutes and it ended in a tie. :effort: Coulda been much worse, I guess.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
So on a whim I went back and re-read some of the stuff in the OP about the different kinds of shots and I've finally started to figure out how to get something of a slapshot. Previously I was trying to swing through it like a golf club and that motion didn't allow for loading up the stick. After re-reading the OP I adjusted my down-stroke and I'm able to get a semi-effective shot off.

It's still something of a mess and I wouldn't dare try it in a game at this point but if I have enough time to setup and step into it properly it is definitely progress.

Very exciting stuff

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The feeling you get when you slam home your first slapper from the point. Man. :gizz:

It took me 4 years (this season actually) before I first scored with a slapper. Worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only effects I've seen out of slapshots is torn ears and broken hands. Everything else ends up in the glass.

It's possible I play with really bad hockey players.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
One of the best parts of beer league is watching people gently caress up one timers really badly.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

canuckanese posted:

One of the best parts of beer league is watching people gently caress up one timers really badly.
This is my linemate. I've watched so many of my passes to him go right between his feet as he tries to rip it it's ridiculous.

He's not a bad player either; just has "beerleagueitis" I guess

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the coaches in the instructional league tell the newbies (hint: all of us) to never attempt one timers. We're not good enough and we're just going to gently caress it up.

So.. control the puck then wrist it towards the net. You still have to be quick because invariably someone's on the way to poke check, but the success rate goes way up. I've gotten a couple goals off this, it's good advice if you're not a good hockey player.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Only way to get better at something is to practice it. That said, I've missed my share of one-timers with hilarious results, usually falling on my face.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Once I'm in the "I'm taking a one-timer" mindset nothing will stop me, even if its a terrible pass. Last game I put a floater on net that put me on my rear end because the pass was too far back and I tried my damdest to still shoot it. My d-partner actually apologized for the pass afterwards.

Also, slapshots or bust.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I actually find backhand top shelf to be the most satisfying way to score, it just feels good.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

canuckanese posted:

I actually find backhand top shelf to be the most satisfying way to score, it just feels good.

Anything bar down, the further and or closer to the net you are when this happens, the better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had a bar-down shorty in our playoff game on Monday from about 2 feet from the goal line. Goalie didn't have a chance.

:feelsgood:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My accuracy is still pretty lovely so if I try to elevate, it tends to REALLY elevate and go over the net.

It's slowly getting better so I'm not complaining, but it does mean in games I try to keep it on the ice so that there's at least a rebound to try for.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
On the inverse, nothing is more embarrassing/infuriating then shooting the puck over the net from the crease.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

D C posted:

On the inverse, nothing is more embarrassing/infuriating then shooting the puck over the net from the crease.

This. I get so excited to even have the puck on my stick when this close to the net that I invariably backhand it waaaaaaaay over the top. Sometimes into the netting.

My biggest advice for one-timers is generally pull the trigger sooner than your brain is telling you to (unless you're really good at it already). I find that by the time I have decided to shoot, the puck will already have gone past my blade, so shooting a little earlier has helped me put the pucks on net at least. I still miss pretty often, but I at least touch the puck somewhat frequently now.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I've been wanting to get back into hockey (played when I was in my teens but then my parents made me drop it for other stuff) but every time I've watched hockey on TV I've wanted to get back on the ice. Unfortunately I don't have the funds right now to get all the gear. But my biggest worry is the fact I'm moving to Florida within the year for school. Anybody know of any good amateur hockey programs in Florida I could look into?

thengeance
Aug 1, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I've been wanting to get back into hockey (played when I was in my teens but then my parents made me drop it for other stuff) but every time I've watched hockey on TV I've wanted to get back on the ice. Unfortunately I don't have the funds right now to get all the gear. But my biggest worry is the fact I'm moving to Florida within the year for school. Anybody know of any good amateur hockey programs in Florida I could look into?

It really depends on where in Florida you're going to wind up. I have a buddy that moved to Gainesville recently and hasn't had any luck finding a rink. I have heard that Florida has a decent inline following though, so you could even get back into hockey without having to find a respectable sheet of ice. You'll pay lower league fees and don't really need too much in the way of equipment-- buy used if possible. I think you can check out USA Hockey's website for program listings.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The best goal I've scored ...

Faceoff in the opponent left circle.

I was playing right wing with a left handed shot near the center slot. Our center won the the face off on the forehand and passed it right to me with the opportunity for a by-the-book one timer. I ripped everything I had into it and got everything into what was the hardest shot I think I've ever had. Laser straight and super fast. I beat the goalie to the far post over his glove. Top bar down with a loud clank.

Only celebration was a soft "holy gently caress"

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

We just had a guy join our team who played for the Gators in Gainesville. So there's gotta be a rink somewhere near there.

All I care about right now are face-off wins and the ensuing set plays. Winning a draw against a tough opponent, picking the right move, and it leading to a chance is amazing. I'm really into the strategy of it all right now, and having a team that executes is pretty great.

And a lower team that a few of my teammates also play on paid $135 for jersey + socks. I don't think anything is sewn on either. I find that hilarious.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

canuckanese posted:

This, I tend to end up on the left side more often than not and I try for the shortside backhand shelf at least once a game. Haven't scored this season yet but I'll get it!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Where are you in Florida? I've been in Jacksonville and Daytona recently and I was shocked by the hockey culture there. I saw a good amount of rinks and was at a bar for a Panthers game, and I had no idea hockey had taken root there.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

canuckanese posted:

Where are you in Florida? I've been in Jacksonville and Daytona recently and I was shocked by the hockey culture there. I saw a good amount of rinks and was at a bar for a Panthers game, and I had no idea hockey had taken root there.

Haven't moved there yet but I'm going to be going to college in Gainesville and my parents want to settle in Boca Raton, and I'll probably also move down there to be close to them once I'm done with school.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Haven't moved there yet but I'm going to be going to college in Gainesville and my parents want to settle in Boca Raton, and I'll probably also move down there to be close to them once I'm done with school.
Well sadly I don't think there's a rink in Gainesville since the UF guys play their college hockey at my local rink here in Orlando at the RDV IceDen.

However there are some rinks down near Boca. The biggest one that's jumping out to me is the facility the Panthers practice at which I think is just south of there near Ft. Lauderdale.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I figured as much. I'll probably look into getting into roller hockey to get myself in shape.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Tangentially related to hockey, because they…uh…wear hockey gear. I just spend the last hour watching Crashed Ice on my Apple TV.

:psyduck:

That is all.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

is it any good?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

is it any good?

I've watched videos a couple times, it's a really cool idea but like most races once someone gets in front the excitement is over. Short runs mean the races don't last very long and not enough chances for someone to make a comeback.

If they found a way to incorporate contact or a blue turtle shell or something it'd be more fun to watch.

I'm sure it's amazing fun for the athletes though.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Mostly, I just watched and wondered, "how do they keep the ice so drat smooth?"

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
I saw a few races. I didn't think it was super interesting. Also, going downhill makes sense if you're skiing or snowboarding, but I'm not sure why you'd ice skate downhill.

Also, I think I'd like it more if there were more agility elements, instead of just forward strides and jumps.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Any of you guys ever have a concussion? I ask because I had a mild one last month and I think I am over most of it, and have a game on Tuesday. I play non-contact recreational hockey with folks from work (we rent ice) but you know, contact happens because we all suck. I'm just wondering how long it took you to go back to playing?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bilirubin posted:

Any of you guys ever have a concussion? I ask because I had a mild one last month and I think I am over most of it, and have a game on Tuesday. I play non-contact recreational hockey with folks from work (we rent ice) but you know, contact happens because we all suck. I'm just wondering how long it took you to go back to playing?

I had a decent one not from hockey but my doctor said that once the physical pain went away lingering effects like headaches and dizziness would take about a week longer to go away. It's better to give it more time than not. If you're feel good try doing some exercise to see if it kicks any issues up

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've had 3 from hockey, all diagnosed as mild. It really just depends. I think I took 2-3 weeks off on average for mine because I was younger and playing full contact.

If you've had zero symptoms and if you've given it a couple of weeks at least, I think you'll be fine. You might be feeling hesitant, and that's perfectly normal. I was the same way coming back each time. Ease into it, and if you notice things like having issues with balance and whatnot, take yourself off.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thanks. Mine was also not from hockey. I slipped on some ice that I didn't notice because of a light dusting of snow. Fortunately I didn't hit my head, or break my elbow. I did it over a month ago, took a week off work and basically slept or skimmed some internet (such as this place) since actually reading or watching the PVR full of Doctor Who was too much.

The pain and most symptoms are gone now, but I still have lingering "brain not working to full capacity" moments. Like going for cereal and wondering why I am standing with the freezer door open. I am quite concerned because the last time I played I got blind sided really badly. Perhaps I will start at the gym on the treadmill and see how that goes first. Sad because our ice is at Windsports.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I had probably 3. But I honestly couldn't tell you as back then it wasn't a big deal.

It is completely variable. I have a friend who is experiencing symptoms 7 months later. A guy on my team was back in 2 weeks.

Each situation is different and handled differently by each person.

If you're fine in day to day activity, try progressively more aggressive workouts. Start basic and if you feel any symptoms stop. When you can work out fully put on the pads and give it a go. But don't start working out until symptoms are gone.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Man the not working out thing is making me crawl the walls. Almost as bad as going two weeks without a beer...

The only real pain issue comes is when, of all things, I raid in Star Wars. I guess its too much mental stimulation still.

ETA: thanks for your advice SA doctors, appreciated!

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I had a pretty bad one a couple of years ago from hockey, guy charged into my chest with his head down after I took the puck from him. I had some long-lasting cognitive symptoms and it took me maybe 9 months to get back to playing. I did go back to the gym pretty soon after the pain and nausea passed, though, maybe 2-3 weeks after the injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Verman posted:

If you're feel good try doing some exercise to see if it kicks any issues up

This is good advice. You have to gradually get back into things, especially sports and physical activity. Concussion #2 can kill you if you haven't fully recovered from #1. So...careful. You should discuss with your doctor a plan for gradually re-introducing exercise/hockey back into your life.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 9, 2014