Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gervese is the Jackie Robinson of Survivor stereotypes.

TheChad posted:

Survivor just needs to cast more minorities, don't need to have whites ALWAYS outnumber everyone else in a 2 or 3 to 1 one ratio.

Yeah. The season divided by race wasn't the best idea but the positive about it was that there was an even racially playing field so none of this sort of "why did the nearly all white tribe have to vote out the only minority first?" stuff happened. There's really no reason not to keep the white/straight people no greater than 50%. Even if the Survivor audience is racist I'm sure they're watching for the game and brand at this stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

The season divided by race wasn't the best idea but the positive about it was that there was an even racially playing field so none of this sort of "why did the nearly all white tribe have to vote out the only minority first?" stuff happened.

But that's exactly what ended up happening though? The Candice/Parv/Adam/Jonathan alliance systematically voted out all the non-white people until you were left with White People + Nate vs Ozzy/Yul/Becky/Sundra.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pinterest Mom posted:

But that's exactly what ended up happening though? The Candice/Parv/Adam/Jonathan alliance systematically voted out all the non-white people until you were left with White People + Nate vs Ozzy/Yul/Becky/Sundra.

Yeah, but a big part of that is going to be switching things up in a tribal swap and sticking to original tribal lines. That felt more frat/bro as an alliance - hence the inclusion of poo-chopping Nate - and as such Jonathan didn't fit and ended up flipping.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Poque posted:

I'm really curious how much of Fransesquah's second first-boot was influenced by the "this will be hilarious" effect. But honestly, at least her first time around, it seemed to be the same reason David got booted first this season - way too much strategizing and endgame focus when you just need to move forward as a team.

All seasons should be like Cook Islands, but no seasons should be like Fiji. A Survivor quandary.

Fiji gave us Yau Man. :3:

Yau Man would have been the perfect fit for a theoretical good brains tribe, physically inept but overcoming that with SCIENCE:science:!

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think a big reasons for the all girl/all guy alliances is just that when you get out there, you are either in an alliance early on or you're toast, and it's the same situation after any big shakeup. If you want to be in an alliance with someone you'll use any common ground as an excuse to try to convince them, whether it be girl power or country folk or cops as seen this season. Being super jesusy is another one that seems to happen, as is age groups. Boston Rob talked about it one time, saying he didn't like seeing other players bond over anything, whether it be their religion or whether they both like Oreos. In a game where you need to make alliances, real and fake, sorta based on nothing but blind trust and mutual need, you'll tend to take any common ground as a valid enough reason.

I'm not saying race is never one of those factors, and there certainly have been some skeevy moments on the show in that regard.

But let's face it, the real true reason the beauty tribe voted out Brice is because he's not that hot. Where are the abs, steely eyes, and devil-may-care, even, three-day stubble? Don't got em you say? Oh would you look at that your torch went out.

As for beauty tribe giving dumb answers to questions during tribal I just took that as their form of question dodging. "Does your tribe conform to the stereotypes people would expect?" The only answers you could really give directly are "Yeah Jeff, some of us are sorta entitled and lazy," or lying, assuming all that stuff we saw with the girls being lazy around camp wasn't cherrypicked. Coming off as naive and giving a "yeah Jeff we're all hot hehehe" probably seems better than those options when people might be about to vote you off based on how much they like you or trust you.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Poque posted:

Yeah, but a big part of that is going to be switching things up in a tribal swap and sticking to original tribal lines. That felt more frat/bro as an alliance - hence the inclusion of poo-chopping Nate - and as such Jonathan didn't fit and ended up flipping.

Yeah, that really came down to tribal stuff in the end, that was divided racially. The black, Asian, and Hispanic tribes didn't come into the game with a disadvantage to the whites in terms of numbers. It was the only time in the games run they were all on even footing. But it so happened that the way it worked out some minorities got shifted onto a white dominated tribe and then tribal lines hit them.

Which is why it was a bad overall idea because it made the game about race by dividing them by race. But if you look beyond that having a perfectly even breakdown of races gives the minorities a fairer shot from day one because it puts them on even playing grounds even on a lot of subconscious or cultural levels. My perfect Survivor cast would have a perfectly even breakdown of white vs black vs Hispanic vs whatever, gay vs straight, man vs woman, old vs young, etc. And divided evenly that would be the fairest cultural and racial playing ground in Survivor history.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Piell posted:

I just want them to cast a black person who can swim, who gets really mad when the other players try to make them sit out at the first swimming challenge.

They did that. Jayson in Samoa, Russell's first season, was a varsity swimmer or whatever. Not everytjing is racist. People are so eager to look for racial slights they will find whatever they can, real or otherwise.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Nicaragua was diverse enough that they had a strong minority alliance and, erm, that worked out just splendidly.

I will be as Yau-Man and continue my search for the straightest possible arrow :allears:

Actually...I hate to say it, but Fiji worked out well like that. They cast it like Cook Islands, but switched up tribe divisions when a white girl dropped out before the game started, leaving the show with the horrible have/have-not twist they thought they needed. Without that stupid loving twist, that was actually a fantastic cast.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
As the resident Survivor Fiji booster the cast for that season is badly underrated. It's a cast with arguably the most beloved Survivor of all time AND the most hated villain in Dreamz. Earl was an excellent winner who seems to get criticism for being too dominant. There were a bunch of fun early game knuckleheads to keep things entertaining. The fall of the Four Horsemen was amazing, Rocky an colossal tool and Survivor Fiji gave us the music of Lisi Linares.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-S7h9YeKIc

I rank that video up there with Fabio's strange homoerotic movie and Coach's 180.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

freehotel posted:

They did that. Jayson in Samoa, Russell's first season, was a varsity swimmer or whatever. Not everytjing is racist. People are so eager to look for racial slights they will find whatever they can, real or otherwise.

One black guy on Survivor who can swim does not invalidate all the other moments we've had such as Gervase swimming terribly (twice), Osten nearly drowning, Cliff/Brice sitting out this year, or many other moments that I can't remember off the top of my head. If you believe that's cherry-picking, Jaison himself mentioned that he was surprised that Mick picked him to swim because of the stereotype that black people can't swim, which proves that at the very least it has some sort of psychological significance to the castaways involved.

The black people can't swim thing is weird but I don't think the optics of that are anywhere near as bad as the angry black woman archetype which people like Vecepia and Sabrina have spoken about as frustrating for them to see on the show; the trend of black women being very early boots doesn't look good either.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BGrifter posted:

As the resident Survivor Fiji booster the cast for that season is badly underrated. It's a cast with arguably the most beloved Survivor of all time AND the most hated villain in Dreamz. Earl was an excellent winner who seems to get criticism for being too dominant. There were a bunch of fun early game knuckleheads to keep things entertaining. The fall of the Four Horsemen was amazing, Rocky an colossal tool and Survivor Fiji gave us the music of Lisi Linares.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-S7h9YeKIc

I rank that video up there with Fabio's strange homoerotic movie and Coach's 180.

where could I get hold of this strange homoerotic Fabio movie? I want to know for...reasons...

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
Because reality shows are the most progressive shows when it comes to race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc85rAyNhzY

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

One black guy on Survivor who can swim does not invalidate all the other moments we've had such as Gervase swimming terribly (twice), Osten nearly drowning, Cliff/Brice sitting out this year, or many other moments that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I actually thought this was a little exaggerated. Like we have no idea why Brice and Cliff sat out. Its the stereotype that's making you say "its because there's a stereotype that black people can't swim." Unless I missed something the two of them never actually said they couldn't. Cliff in particular is a middle aged guy with a pot belly. Make him white and he's still the most likely guy on paper to sit out a challenge that has you swim a long distance, climb a big wall, and then swim back. Maybe he's a weak swimmer on top of that but that seems like an assumption people are making. Like until I read this thread when I saw Cliff sit all I said was "yeah, oldest, heaviest guy makes sense." Then I get in here and see all the "black people can't swim" stuff and that's the first I even wondered if he couldn't swim.

Outside of Osten and Gervase are there really a lot of clear examples of black Survivors not being able to swim? There's not at on of black Survivors but there's usually at least two per season. If just a few incidents stand out then it seems like cherry picking to me.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I actually thought this was a little exaggerated. Like we have no idea why Brice and Cliff sat out. Its the stereotype that's making you say "its because there's a stereotype that black people can't swim." Unless I missed something the two of them never actually said they couldn't. Cliff in particular is a middle aged guy with a pot belly. Make him white and he's still the most likely guy on paper to sit out a challenge that has you swim a long distance, climb a big wall, and then swim back.

Cliff is seven feet tall. He has no business trying to maneuver in partially submerged, tiny-rear end bamboo cage no matter what color he is.

(Brice didn't want to gently caress up his good lookin' hair. I can relate.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

How many black olympic swimmers are there?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The Lord Bude posted:

where could I get hold of this strange homoerotic Fabio movie? I want to know for...reasons...

Here's the trailer for you. No idea if it ever recieved a DVD/BluRay release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGW_RaHM9I0

It's... a thing that exists.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

STAC Goat posted:

I actually thought this was a little exaggerated. Like we have no idea why Brice and Cliff sat out. Its the stereotype that's making you say "its because there's a stereotype that black people can't swim." Unless I missed something the two of them never actually said they couldn't. Cliff in particular is a middle aged guy with a pot belly. Make him white and he's still the most likely guy on paper to sit out a challenge that has you swim a long distance, climb a big wall, and then swim back. Maybe he's a weak swimmer on top of that but that seems like an assumption people are making. Like until I read this thread when I saw Cliff sit all I said was "yeah, oldest, heaviest guy makes sense." Then I get in here and see all the "black people can't swim" stuff and that's the first I even wondered if he couldn't swim.

Outside of Osten and Gervase are there really a lot of clear examples of black Survivors not being able to swim? There's not at on of black Survivors but there's usually at least two per season. If just a few incidents stand out then it seems like cherry picking to me.

Brice went on Survivor Live and said he could swim, but everyone on his tribe said they were lifeguards so he was like I'll pass. Maybe it's the first time you wondered it, but a lot of people's minds jumped to that black people can't swim stereotype immediately. Aras mentioned it on RHAP. Brice did on Survivor Live, Tasha mentioned it pre-season.

Other black people on Survivor (besides Osten and Gervase) that couldn't swim or were really bad at it: Sean from Marquesas, Russell from Samoa/Philippines, James from 3 seasons, Cirie, Phillip, Rebecca from Cook Islands. iirc RC also made Artis swim in front of her to prove that he knew how to swim

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I was with you right up until the RC reference. She is actually a racist jerk in real life.

I will never understand why people think her boobs and that obnoxious laugh redeem her.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

She is actually a racist jerk in real life.

I hadn't heard this- that's hosed up.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Lone Goat posted:

How many black olympic swimmers are there?

Cullen Jones says "'Sup?" :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Professor Shark posted:

I hadn't heard this- that's hosed up.

I don't remember the specifics but I believe she made some nasty remarks in an interview somewhere didn't she? Something to do with Israel, or Jewish people or something, if I remember correctly.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't remember the specifics but I believe she made some nasty remarks in an interview somewhere didn't she? Something to do with Israel, or Jewish people or something, if I remember correctly.

She compared her experience on Survivor to the holocaust.

"It was very scary, and it reminded me of the 2nd World War, when the Jews were in Germany and the Jews in Italy and the USA didn't lift a finger to help, to avoid being a part of it. But their time came as well and, when they turned to their allies, they found out there were no allies left."

http://www.birthrightisrael.com/TaglitBirthrightIsraelStory/MediaCenter/Pages/Survivor-Philippines.aspx

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sheesh.

Still, I'm not sure that makes her a racist or anti Semite. More like an incredibly insensitive jack rear end.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

Sheesh.

Still, I'm not sure that makes her a racist or anti Semite. More like an incredibly insensitive jack rear end.
She's like hardcore Jewish as I recall and made a lot of zionist comments as well

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

From the same interview, speaking of survivor casting jewish people - ""Yes, they won't cast us anymore. We are too clever to be on reality shows". :eek:

Does anyone know quick and dirty stats on how many times Survivor has started out with three tribes instead of two?

I haven't seen every season, but I always tend to prefer more than two tribes. Makes it a little easier to remember everyone, especially in the early goings.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Narcissus1916 posted:

From the same interview, speaking of survivor casting jewish people - ""Yes, they won't cast us anymore. We are too clever to be on reality shows". :eek:

Does anyone know quick and dirty stats on how many times Survivor has started out with three tribes instead of two?

I haven't seen every season, but I always tend to prefer more than two tribes. Makes it a little easier to remember everyone, especially in the early goings.

All-Stars, Philippines and the current season.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bjay9 posted:

All-Stars, Philippines and the current season.

A fact Garrett had off the top of his head during his RHAP exit interview and seemed to remember how things played out on both seasons.

I put off listening to Garrett's exit interview for a week but when I finally got around to it I was rather shocked. He's a pretty sharp guy, clearly a huge fan of the show, and had a really solid read on how everything played out. The edit was rather unkind and there was a bit more going on than we really saw.

David was a lock to go home on day one so they correctly guessed it would come down to Garrett/Spencer and J'Tia/Tasha with Kass in the middle. Garrett was reluctant to stick with the four person alliance of Garrett/Spencer/J'Tia/Tasha that took out David as he knew J'Tia/Tasha were rock solid, while Spencer would only stick with him as long as it was in his best interests. Voting out Kass second meant he had to win challenges until a tribe shuffle occured and he had zero faith in their ability to do so. By making the move to bring in Kass as a third he was aiming to set things up so he and Spencer would hang on till a tribe shuffle. He made a strong push selling Kat as his one true alliance, Tasha outplayed him, he went home.

I'd highly recommend taking the time to give it a listen if anyone hasn't. You can skip the first half as the exit interview with David was ok but not particularly insightful. Garrett's is probably the best exit interview I've ever heard on RHAP. He did an excellent job of explaining his strategy without coming off as making excuses or whining. He worked Kat a lot harder than they showed on the episode, it didn't pan out, Tasha made a strong play and he got beat.

A link for anyone interested: http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-cagayan-exit-interview-david-samson-garrett-adelstein/
Garrett starts at around the 18 minute mark and it's about a 15 minute interview.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 8, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BGrifter posted:

David was a lock to go home on day one so they correctly guessed it would come down to Garrett/Spencer and J'Tia/Tasha with Kass in the middle. Garrett was reluctant to stick with the four person alliance of Garrett/Spencer/J'Tia/Tasha that took out David as he knew J'Tia/Tasha were rock solid, while Spencer would only stick with him as long as it was in his best interests. Voting out Kass second meant he had to win challenges until a tribe shuffle occured and he had zero faith in their ability to do so. By making the move to bring in Kass as a third he was aiming to set things up so he and Spencer would hang on till a tribe shuffle. He made a strong push selling Kat as his one true alliance, Tasha outplayed him, he went home.
See how you said this in one quick paragraph? Garrett... let's just say his social game is lacking, and I can see why he failed despite having sound strategy.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fast Luck posted:

See how you said this in one quick paragraph? Garrett... let's just say his social game is lacking, and I can see why he failed despite having sound strategy.

Oh no question he was a flawed player. I was just surprised he was a lot more strategically coherent than I would have guessed from watching the episode. It's also always neat to hear how things actually played out vs the version on TV and I didn't feel like Garrett was bullshitting to make himself look better.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Back on Feb 28:

Binary Logic posted:

Surprisingly, in Garrett's exit interview with Rob Cesternino he sounds like he knows the game. It's so different from the edit he got.
OTOH the extended RHAP discussion this week with John and Candice Cody is somewhat bland.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 9, 2014

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Binary Logic posted:

OTOH the extended RHAP discussion this week with John and Candice Cody is somewhat bland.

Wow, what a shocker.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I dug the Aras interview, but it sounded like he was walking away from the microphone mid sentence all the time.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

BGrifter posted:

Oh no question he was a flawed player. I was just surprised he was a lot more strategically coherent than I would have guessed from watching the episode.

I think the trouble with card players is they just want to sit on their butts and have the game go in order. That's literally what move Garret made at camp. Jean-Robert was terrible as well.

Survivor is more like playing football (or physical sports in general), poker, chess, and politics at the same time. Knowing just poker is like being one of the nerdy guys that gets on and knows just the chess aspects. To really be good you need such a complex and open-ended set of abilities.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

:siren: PREVIOUSLY ON SURVIVOR... :siren:

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Nice! We're back to separate reward and immunity challenges!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
J'Tia: "This is an important challenge! We're trying to build upon our winning streak."

J'Tia, you won once in three challenges. You're not so much trying to build a winning streak, but prevent a losing one.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lost track of time, what did I miss so far?

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I love the blind challenges, for the pain inflicted. Sadistic? Maybe. Amusing? Oh yes.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I'm going to go with...4 crotch shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

#nutshots should start trending on Twitter

• Locked thread