Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like your application a considerable amount. Thank you for pressing letters on a keyboard and causing it to exist.

I have a problem, alas, about which I have not seen anything in the recent history of this thread. Specifically, navigating to the last page of a thread appears to be somewhat :catdrugs:.

To take this thread, for example: it has 117 lovely pages. If I am on the first page, it shows 1/117. Opening the page selector indeed provides 1-117 in the spinner. If I press "last", or scroll to 117 and press "go", it will go to page 88/155. Selecting "last" again leaves me there, though I can go through the pages one at a time with the arrows. Selecting 155 from the spinner and pressing "go" sits there with "Loading..." forever.

I can dust off Xcode and dig into it a bit if that would help, but maybe someone already knows what's wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I like your application a considerable amount. Thank you for pressing letters on a keyboard and causing it to exist.

I have a problem, alas, about which I have not seen anything in the recent history of this thread. Specifically, navigating to the last page of a thread appears to be somewhat :catdrugs:.

To take this thread, for example: it has 117 lovely pages. If I am on the first page, it shows 1/117. Opening the page selector indeed provides 1-117 in the spinner. If I press "last", or scroll to 117 and press "go", it will go to page 88/155. Selecting "last" again leaves me there, though I can go through the pages one at a time with the arrows. Selecting 155 from the spinner and pressing "go" sits there with "Loading..." forever.

I can dust off Xcode and dig into it a bit if that would help, but maybe someone already knows what's wrong?

I'm guessing you have posts per page set to something other than 40 in your forums options, and the app doesn't handle it well because the developers are hacks and nobody who works on or tests the app ever changes that option.

Edit: I just confirmed that this is the issue.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 5, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm guessing you have posts per page set to something other than 40 in your forums options, and the app doesn't handle it well because the developers are hacks and nobody who works on or tests the app ever changes that option.

Edit: I just confirmed that this is the issue.

You're not wrong. Maybe I'll try to fix that sometime.

Thank you!

ugly contest
Feb 17, 2010
I posted earlier about the app crashing immediately after the previous update. Just want to say that the new update appears to have fixed the problem. Thanks!

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Thank you for ipad gestures.

It's wonderful.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I'm not a big fan of the new iPad gestures, specifically how the sliding animation is either fully open or closed and doesn't follow your finger like the standard iOS 7 swipe effect. I also don't really like left/right swiping for anything other than back/forward (the latest Twitter iPhone update is poo poo for this) but that's just me. It's cool that the people who wanted the gestures back got them, but I preferred the pre-update way. Any chance of adding it back as an option in settings? No complaints otherwise, the rest is great!

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

The Dave posted:

Could you define broken please?

Profile images do not load.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So you're not seeing avatars on the profile page? iPhone or iPad?

EDIT: Ohhhh wait you're talking about those silly self images within the profile page?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

supersteve posted:

Thank you for ipad gestures.

It's wonderful.
This app is now on par (and better) than the ios 6 version.
Thank you guys, it's really back to the way I used the old app.
A++++++++ WOULD BUY FROM AGAIN!!!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The sidebar gestures on iPad feel so good only because they were taken away from y'all for so long. Lower expectations make you happy!

Subjunctive posted:

I think I found a way to fix this. Also thanks Diabolik900 for figuring out the problem so quickly.

jackhunter64 posted:

I'm not a big fan of the new iPad gestures, specifically how the sliding animation is either fully open or closed and doesn't follow your finger like the standard iOS 7 swipe effect. I also don't really like left/right swiping for anything other than back/forward (the latest Twitter iPhone update is poo poo for this) but that's just me. It's cool that the people who wanted the gestures back got them, but I preferred the pre-update way. Any chance of adding it back as an option in settings? No complaints otherwise, the rest is great!

I basically sat down with Mail.app and swiped it for half an hour to figure out what to do here gesturally (holy poo poo that's a word?). Mail.app strikes me as the exemplary "how an iOS app works", especially on iPad, and Awful.app is a similar app in many ways. In Mail, the sidebar doesn't follow your finger exactly, but it does slide in and out as you swipe your finger back and forth in one continuous motion. Try it: without lifting your finger, swipe right to peek at the sidebar, then swipe back left to go back to reading.

To me, following your finger makes more sense when something is literally under your finger (cf. swiping right from the left bezel to go back in a navigation hierarchy, where the division between the two screens is right under your thumb). The sidebar swipe works anywhere on the screen, and is never actually under your right thumb if you use your iPad like I do.

Are you accidentally triggering it? I might've set the threshold too low. Otherwise the button still works as always.

tl;dr I understand what you're saying but I'm comfortable with where it is and I hate adding settings.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I think I found a way to fix this. Also thanks Diabolik900 for figuring out the problem so quickly.

I have no idea why it would have been at 30 either. :iiam:

The sidebar swipe feels weird to me because I have to start the hide-swipe off the edge of the sidebar itself, over the post content. It feels less weird in Mail, because there are secondary actions revealed by swiping the entries. In Awful, it just feels non-responsive: what else could I mean by swiping over the sidebar? (Mail also has a dead zone right on the sidebar edge where swiping neither collapses the sidebar nor reveals additional actions on the folder. Probably not something to copy!) Also, Mail.app on my iPhone is a continuous, finger-tracking motion rather than a threshold, and none of my ex-Apple-iOS buddies can explain why that would be different on the iPad. The consensus is that the iPad UI was made different and worse but nobody caught it because Apple pays more attention to mail on the phone than on the tablet.

A quick poll of the designers on Facebook Paper indicates support for the more direct connection to finger position. Not trying to appeal to authority, just a data point.

Edit: there's some weirdness going on where it seems to fall out of the swiping state. My finger is still down, but it finishes the transition animation and I can't reverse it without starting a new swipe. I think it might have to do with changing direction when it's in the animation, but I can't figure out exactly the pattern. Swipe back and forth 3-4 times and it'll happen, though.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 6, 2014

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

pokeyman posted:

I basically sat down with Mail.app and swiped it for half an hour to figure out what to do here gesturally (holy poo poo that's a word?). Mail.app strikes me as the exemplary "how an iOS app works", especially on iPad, and Awful.app is a similar app in many ways. In Mail, the sidebar doesn't follow your finger exactly, but it does slide in and out as you swipe your finger back and forth in one continuous motion. Try it: without lifting your finger, swipe right to peek at the sidebar, then swipe back left to go back to reading.

To me, following your finger makes more sense when something is literally under your finger (cf. swiping right from the left bezel to go back in a navigation hierarchy, where the division between the two screens is right under your thumb). The sidebar swipe works anywhere on the screen, and is never actually under your right thumb if you use your iPad like I do.

Are you accidentally triggering it? I might've set the threshold too low. Otherwise the button still works as always.

tl;dr I understand what you're saying but I'm comfortable with where it is and I hate adding settings.
I didn't actually make the Mail connection, it makes a bit more sense now. It feels a bit odd being able to pull in the bar from anywhere on the screen though. I've opened it accidentally once or twice tonight when scrolling through, but I also manage to do the same and swipe back to the bookmark page in Awful iPhone now and then as well, which frankly just makes me suspicious of my own thumb.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jackhunter64 posted:

I didn't actually make the Mail connection, it makes a bit more sense now. It feels a bit odd being able to pull in the bar from anywhere on the screen though. I've opened it accidentally once or twice tonight when scrolling through, but I also manage to do the same and swipe back to the bookmark page in Awful iPhone now and then as well, which frankly just makes me suspicious of my own thumb.

I'm pretty sure it should only be an edge swipe to open, and it seems to be for me. (On iPhone for sure, 94.3% sure about iPad.)

Edit: nope, anywhere swipe on iPad. Having it be different between the devices is messing with me now, I didn't use to notice it.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 6, 2014

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
The ipad swipe is good as is, please leave untouched.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Only real problem I'm running into on ipad is I have to pull a bit too far to refresh.

Otherwise, the new version is dreamy :3: thank you!

5NF
Nov 16, 2011

Any chance of having the ability to make the text tiny again on the next update?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Would it be at all possible to reinstate the behavior of throwing up a Connection Time-Out error if a thread isn't loading? I'm up to my third crash today, all due to not tapping the screen enough during the hugely long load times to keep my phone from locking. I'd rather get a time-out or two when things aren't loading rather than what it's doing now.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

The sidebar swipe feels weird to me because I have to start the hide-swipe off the edge of the sidebar itself, over the post content. It feels less weird in Mail, because there are secondary actions revealed by swiping the entries. In Awful, it just feels non-responsive: what else could I mean by swiping over the sidebar? (Mail also has a dead zone right on the sidebar edge where swiping neither collapses the sidebar nor reveals additional actions on the folder. Probably not something to copy!) Also, Mail.app on my iPhone is a continuous, finger-tracking motion rather than a threshold, and none of my ex-Apple-iOS buddies can explain why that would be different on the iPad. The consensus is that the iPad UI was made different and worse but nobody caught it because Apple pays more attention to mail on the phone than on the tablet.

There used to be secondary actions for swiping the table cells in Awful too, I just haven't added them back in yet. And there's no need to swipe to close the sidebar; a simple tap will do. Mail on iPhone falls under the "directly under your thumb" scenario I mentioned, so it makes more sense to me why that's direct feedback.

quote:

A quick poll of the designers on Facebook Paper indicates support for the more direct connection to finger position. Not trying to appeal to authority, just a data point.

I'm having trouble envisioning how this would work, but I'm certainly willing to play with it.

Overall you raise good points, and my quibbles here are very minor. I'll take a good look at the sidebar gestures for the next version. I'm not totally satisfied with them.

quote:

Edit: there's some weirdness going on where it seems to fall out of the swiping state. My finger is still down, but it finishes the transition animation and I can't reverse it without starting a new swipe. I think it might have to do with changing direction when it's in the animation, but I can't figure out exactly the pattern. Swipe back and forth 3-4 times and it'll happen, though.

I'm seeing this too, now that you mention it. Will take a look.

5NF posted:

Any chance of having the ability to make the text tiny again on the next update?

It's coming but no ETA, sorry.

jivjov posted:

Would it be at all possible to reinstate the behavior of throwing up a Connection Time-Out error if a thread isn't loading? I'm up to my third crash today, all due to not tapping the screen enough during the hugely long load times to keep my phone from locking. I'd rather get a time-out or two when things aren't loading rather than what it's doing now.

I sure hope it's possible, and crashing is certainly the wrong behavior here. I'll take a look!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Unicode text rendering is kinda messed up for me:

The moonspeak is supposed to just run across the page like real words. I'd swear this worked properly before the last update.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I'd like to back up te other poster that said this version is on par with ios6 awful.

I'm sure there still minor bugs here or there but I've honestly not noticed a thing so far.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I love this app and use it daily.

My only suggestion is a minor cosmetic one and thus unimportant, but now that byob is back I think it'd be :coolfish: if it displayed in periwinkle ala fyad and yospos.

But it's easy to say such things when I'm a user and not a dev so keep up the good work!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
New update is great. Seconding (thirding?) the request for the BYOB stylesheet. (cat background optional)

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

New update is great. Seconding (thirding?) the request for the BYOB stylesheet. (cat background optional)

The cat isn't optional :colbert:

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

So, I'll second the comments about the thread loading time sporadically really increasing for me and causing the app to crash if I don't keep pressing on the screen to keep the phone from sleeping. It doesn't do it all the time, but it does it more often than not, and I can't figure out the reason or rhyme to why it hangs sometimes and not others.

Extra info that may or may not be helpful: it seems to lock the whole phone almost when it loads. The clock won't change (it jumped ahead two minutes when one thread opened is how I realized this), and if I plug in the phone while it's loading, the icon doesn't change until it loads either. I can still hit the home button to get out, though.

I'm on a 4s, if that helps/matters. And fwiw, I like the app a lot in general - just frustrated with the load times and crashes and trying to pass on info that might help.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Thank you for bringing back iPad swiping! :yayclod:

Thought I was imagining things but now I'm almost certain something is wrong with loading threads. It gets reallllly slow, like 15 seconds to show me few new posts from bookmarked thread. Uninstalling and reinstalling app makes it snappy again. In a few weeks it has slowed down again.

In the new version with iPad swiping sometimes you can't scroll posts after thread loads.

Following some links still makes your thread reload (and marks page as read) after you close browser.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I would like to say thank you for adding the "threads with unread posts sort to the top" function in this latest version. It was really the one thing that was missing for me previously and it is a sublime addition. Keep up the good work, it does not go unappreciated!

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

butros posted:

I would like to say thank you for adding the "threads with unread posts sort to the top" function in this latest version. It was really the one thing that was missing for me previously and it is a sublime addition. Keep up the good work, it does not go unappreciated!

I agree wholeheartedly. It's a cool feature.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

Unicode text rendering is kinda messed up for me:

The moonspeak is supposed to just run across the page like real words. I'd swear this worked properly before the last update.

I'll take a look, thanks!

ClydeUmney posted:

So, I'll second the comments about the thread loading time sporadically really increasing for me and causing the app to crash if I don't keep pressing on the screen to keep the phone from sleeping. It doesn't do it all the time, but it does it more often than not, and I can't figure out the reason or rhyme to why it hangs sometimes and not others.

Extra info that may or may not be helpful: it seems to lock the whole phone almost when it loads. The clock won't change (it jumped ahead two minutes when one thread opened is how I realized this), and if I plug in the phone while it's loading, the icon doesn't change until it loads either. I can still hit the home button to get out, though.

I'm on a 4s, if that helps/matters. And fwiw, I like the app a lot in general - just frustrated with the load times and crashes and trying to pass on info that might help.

ah forget it posted:

Thought I was imagining things but now I'm almost certain something is wrong with loading threads. It gets reallllly slow, like 15 seconds to show me few new posts from bookmarked thread. Uninstalling and reinstalling app makes it snappy again. In a few weeks it has slowed down again.

Gonna take a swing at this stuff in the next couple versions. There's some really obvious things that will fix stuff like a frozen status bar, and then I'm sure there are some less obvious things that will take more work to find. Rest assured, I know it's lovely.

ah forget it posted:

In the new version with iPad swiping sometimes you can't scroll posts after thread loads.

Following some links still makes your thread reload (and marks page as read) after you close browser.

Haven't seen the swiping/scrolling issue but I'll play around with it. The reloading the thread after closing browser thing, I know what I want to do to fix it, just gotta do it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I'll take a look, thanks!
Oddly enough if I go back now and look at that post the Japanese text renders just fine. So it may be an occasional glitch rather than something reliably reproducible ...

e: what I wasn't expecting was for it to mark the final page of posts unread again when I went back a page and then closed the thread. Is that by design?

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 8, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

e: what I wasn't expecting was for it to mark the final page of posts unread again when I went back a page and then closed the thread. Is that by design?

Awful doesn't do any automatic marking of anything as read or unread. Probably just a cached value messing up the display of it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I can't seem to load a second page of bookmarks anymore. So that old friend has cropped back up.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Awful doesn't do any automatic marking of anything as read or unread. Probably just a cached value messing up the display of it.
That'll be it. It was displaying the wrong number of unread posts so I thought it had actually marked them unread, but it does go back to the right number on a refresh.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jivjov posted:

I can't seem to load a second page of bookmarks anymore. So that old friend has cropped back up.

Hooray! Time to temporarily stock up on bookmarks!

Soricidus posted:

That'll be it. It was displaying the wrong number of unread posts so I thought it had actually marked them unread, but it does go back to the right number on a refresh.

Which, to be fair, is a bug. But not as bad as actually losing your place in the thread.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

jivjov posted:

I have just tried to do this on my iPhone, and the second page of bookmarks loaded. Same with my iPad 2. There's no on-screen indicator to say that anything was loading, apart from the "network in use" thing in the bar at the top.

One problem that I have found is that, on the iPad, using landscape and "hide sidebar in landscape" enabled, the sidebar doesn't retract, and the post just loads underneath the sidebar. You can't use any swipe gestures to remove the sidebar, and the thread that loads underneath it cannot be interacted with. Clicking on a different menu icon allows you to continue on, so it doesn't freeze the app.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Awful 2.0.4 crashes on launch as soon as it switches off the splash screen on my iPad 3 running iOS 7.0.6. 100% reproducible :(. I will try to capture a log later tonight.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ellspurs posted:

One problem that I have found is that, on the iPad, using landscape and "hide sidebar in landscape" enabled, the sidebar doesn't retract, and the post just loads underneath the sidebar. You can't use any swipe gestures to remove the sidebar, and the thread that loads underneath it cannot be interacted with. Clicking on a different menu icon allows you to continue on, so it doesn't freeze the app.

On it!

rjmccall posted:

Awful 2.0.4 crashes on launch as soon as it switches off the splash screen on my iPad 3 running iOS 7.0.6. 100% reproducible :(. I will try to capture a log later tonight.

Crash log would be awesome. We do use Crashlytics but that doesn't tell me which crash was yours.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ellspurs posted:

I'm having a hard time reproducing this. Does it happen every time for you? Sometimes? Can you tell me more, even if it seems totally irrelevant?

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
I just force-killed the app and reloaded it, and it is still doing it. I cannot get it to work at all.

If I go straight into the Leper's Colony from start up, the sidebar pops up over the empty space. The main screen for the thread doesn't shrink to accommodate the bar. If I go into the settings, and disable "hide sidebar in landscape", it works as intended.

Also, when you toggle this setting in the settings tab, you can see the thread size shrinking to fill the gap (when disabled) or expanding to fill the screen under the sidebar (when enabled).

It seems the swipe gestures are missing on both the settings tab and the Leper's Colony tab when "hide sidebar" is enabled. On the bookmarks tab and the forums tab, the gestures and threads work perfectly fine.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Kaethela posted:

BYOB style sheet, please.

Bluedeanie posted:

My only suggestion is a minor cosmetic one and thus unimportant, but now that byob is back I think it'd be :coolfish: if it displayed in periwinkle ala fyad and yospos.

But it's easy to say such things when I'm a user and not a dev so keep up the good work!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

straight jerkers posted:

The cat isn't optional :colbert:

Sneak peak into the future:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007

ellspurs posted:

I just force-killed the app and reloaded it, and it is still doing it. I cannot get it to work at all.

If I go straight into the Leper's Colony from start up, the sidebar pops up over the empty space. The main screen for the thread doesn't shrink to accommodate the bar. If I go into the settings, and disable "hide sidebar in landscape", it works as intended.

Also, when you toggle this setting in the settings tab, you can see the thread size shrinking to fill the gap (when disabled) or expanding to fill the screen under the sidebar (when enabled).

It seems the swipe gestures are missing on both the settings tab and the Leper's Colony tab when "hide sidebar" is enabled. On the bookmarks tab and the forums tab, the gestures and threads work perfectly fine.

To jump back in at this, I have tried it again tonight, and the bars do swipe away; I got confused as I thought the bar would auto-hide as the setting was on.

Sorry for the false alarm in this great app!

• Locked thread