Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess that makes sense. You wouldn't start fundraising to buy transvaginal ultrasound equipment for clinics, that'd be seen as an admission that it's a reasonable medical requirement.

And that would just be a cue for the right to slap on a new requirement, which you'd then have to either fight or accomodate, and so on. The fight isn't going to end, so you might as well keep it where it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I would like to thank you for the links about bitcoin. I doubt they'll work. MY friend thinks the government probably had that cofounder of MtGox (or whoever she was) killed. He also started getting onto Truther bullshit, the Illuminati, fluoride in the drinking water, all sorts of that Natural News bullshit. It's been very depressing seeing my friend decline into full blown crazy. He even said whu do we still have boom bust cycles when I said that in the 19th century the economy wasn't stable. He has not responded to any of the sites I linked yet. I doubt he will even read them. But thank you guys anyway. I just hate when I start seeing my fellow Left Wingers start spouting Right wing (conspiracy and non-conspiracy) nonsense.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Memento stultum. We are all one bad day away from being the crazy forwarded email sender- or we already are one, and don't know it. I hope when my day comes, I will be lucky enough to have friends like you around to at least try to pull me out of the pit.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I'm not really touching the poop just yet, but what the gently caress is my in-law trying to say here?

" McCain-Feingold is nothing more than an incumbent-protection law--corrupt on its face and embraced by both parties. Incumbents "redistribute" favors worth millions or billions to special interests and to their home districts, write "official" letters to their constituents listing their "achievements", and call press conferences to get free TV time and media coverage. Meanwhile, challengers, relative unknowns, must raise money and pay for any coverage they are able to get. Taxes should be raised locally, then allocated to the respective states for specific purposes. The states should then allocate funds to the federal government again for specific purposes, enumerated by the Constitution. This would drastically reduce the eagerness of politicians to engage in foreign wars and nation-building, and drastically reduce the number and size of "favors" they could hand out thus making politics a less attractive venue to pump influence dollars into."

The pivot between campaign finance (which was a pretty poorly made point) and taxes was just confusing as hell.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I think what they're trying to say is that campaigns should be paid from public funds, and specifically state elections should be paid for with federal tax money and vice versa, for whatever reason.

Personally I would have no issue whatsoever with strictly public campaign financing and anything else that puts financially impaired candidates on equal footing with well-funded contenders. The role of McCain-Feingold in this is mostly tangential; the law does take steps to limit lovely campaign practices, but created new ones in the process.

snorch fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 7, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No no, it's Libertarian-speak. He is saying that if the federal government is penniless and weak, that corruption won't be a problem because no one will bother buying favors from politicians that can't do anything.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Keshik posted:

Okay, this one is not a crazy neo-con family member but an encounter with Twitter feminism that left me going "What the gently caress?!"

This guy proposed going after the hospitals that deny admitting privileges to doctors, and these women respond with, well, you can see below.

And I got accused of mansplaining to them for saying "Hey actually that sounds like a decent idea." Part 2 of my thing was just "If legislatures are immune to outside scrutiny, maybe the corporations that own hospitals can be subjected to external pressure."

What the gently caress. How is it mansplaining? I wanted to ask them but the last time I ever disagreed with a feminist activist on Twitter and asked for further explanation of why they disagreed with me, it turned into this whole shitstorm where I ended up being accused of being pro-rapists-in-the-military for daring to suggest that increasing the number of females in the officer corps and number of female NCOs might alleviate the problem, citing some experiences of my sister, who is a Captain in the U.S. Army.

I agree with Twitter feminists 90% of the time, and then 10% of the time they will be going after other people who agree with and support their aims and I'll be like, "Wait, what? Why are you viciously attacking someone that agrees with you?"

I really want someone to tell me not just that I am wrong here but why I am wrong. Why is this a bad idea, and more importantly why is it bad to suggest it, and equally bad to say "Hmm actually not a bad idea."

edit: names blurred only because I am not posting this to call someone out, I just want to get some feedback on the interaction.

I used to follow this person. She has a very nasty habit of jumping all over people for the slightest issue. She once humiliated some poor woman for not knowing what "cis" means - her followers attacked the woman so viciously she was crying. While I agree with the replies to this post explaining why she might have had a problem with what you said, this particular Twitter Feminist is so relentlessly negative and hostile, I couldn't bear following her anymore.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Is Twitter Feminist a title meant to produce anything other than ridicule? It has the same cognitive effect as "Internet Girlfriend" or "Virtual Currency".

vvv I see- I thought it was an actual title. I might not actually ever use twitter- does it show?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 7, 2014

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Discendo Vox posted:

Is Twitter Feminist a title meant to produce anything other than ridicule? It has the same cognitive effect as "Internet Girlfriend" or "Virtual Currency".

I use it to refer to Twitter accounts that are almost exclusively about feminism.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Bastard Tetris posted:

I'm not really touching the poop just yet, but what the gently caress is my in-law trying to say here?

" McCain-Feingold is nothing more than an incumbent-protection law--corrupt on its face and embraced by both parties. Incumbents "redistribute" favors worth millions or billions to special interests and to their home districts, write "official" letters to their constituents listing their "achievements", and call press conferences to get free TV time and media coverage. Meanwhile, challengers, relative unknowns, must raise money and pay for any coverage they are able to get. Taxes should be raised locally, then allocated to the respective states for specific purposes. The states should then allocate funds to the federal government again for specific purposes, enumerated by the Constitution. This would drastically reduce the eagerness of politicians to engage in foreign wars and nation-building, and drastically reduce the number and size of "favors" they could hand out thus making politics a less attractive venue to pump influence dollars into."

The pivot between campaign finance (which was a pretty poorly made point) and taxes was just confusing as hell.

Isn't the taxation bit how things were under the wildly successful Articles of Confederation

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I had to look up "mansplaining," and while it seems like a decently useful term to describe situations that happen in real life, I feel like it sort of loses some of its punch on the internet where 90% of things typed and posted are for the sole purpose of proving people wrong (or just yourself right) in the first place.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Keshik posted:

Okay, this one is not a crazy neo-con family member but an encounter with Twitter feminism that left me going "What the gently caress?!"

This guy proposed going after the hospitals that deny admitting privileges to doctors, and these women respond with, well, you can see below.

And I got accused of mansplaining to them for saying "Hey actually that sounds like a decent idea." Part 2 of my thing was just "If legislatures are immune to outside scrutiny, maybe the corporations that own hospitals can be subjected to external pressure."

What the gently caress. How is it mansplaining? I wanted to ask them but the last time I ever disagreed with a feminist activist on Twitter and asked for further explanation of why they disagreed with me, it turned into this whole shitstorm where I ended up being accused of being pro-rapists-in-the-military for daring to suggest that increasing the number of females in the officer corps and number of female NCOs might alleviate the problem, citing some experiences of my sister, who is a Captain in the U.S. Army.

I agree with Twitter feminists 90% of the time, and then 10% of the time they will be going after other people who agree with and support their aims and I'll be like, "Wait, what? Why are you viciously attacking someone that agrees with you?"

I really want someone to tell me not just that I am wrong here but why I am wrong. Why is this a bad idea, and more importantly why is it bad to suggest it, and equally bad to say "Hmm actually not a bad idea."

edit: names blurred only because I am not posting this to call someone out, I just want to get some feedback on the interaction.

Some feminists use "mansplaining" as an excuse to ignore ideas/criticisms they don't like which happen to have come from men. You will notice that they will find a different excuse to shut down women who agree with you (they've been coopted by patriarchy or whatever). If anybody does this to you, call her out, then just don't talk to her anymore. There are plenty of not-rear end in a top hat feminists out there. Stick to them, instead.

Ror posted:

I had to look up "mansplaining," and while it seems like a decently useful term to describe situations that happen in real life, I feel like it sort of loses some of its punch on the internet where 90% of things typed and posted are for the sole purpose of proving people wrong (or just yourself right) in the first place.

Mansplaining is a serious problem in mixed-gender meetings, usually political but really most kinds. It makes sense to have some kind of way of looking at it an dealing with it then. The problem is that some Active Internet Feminists use it as an excuse to shut people up on the internet, where there is a real equivalent of a mute button: you can block and ban people, so a lot of what helps men dominate discussions is no longer an issue.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I've used the term mansplaining before because yeah it's frustrating as hell when I'm talking statistics and public health (what I do for a living) and some friend-of-a-friend who works as chef starts lecturing me on how statistics actually work. I guess on the internet is harder to discern motive and tone, but mansplanations are still, in my mind, noticeable.

Here is a clear example of mansplaining that was actually directed at me recently. Some jerk (who literally works for a "bitcoin venture capital firm" :lol:) that I didn't know chimed in with this:

quote:

[Rosalind] you are being naive if you think people (ie men) do not get called douches all the time for no good reason. As even my profile pic calls people to say that about me. If a girl is posting "slutty" pictures for the world to see, then yes, I think that is fine if someone wants to call her a douche. To each his own; your anecdotal evidence does not speak for what exists in society.

Why is this mansplaining?
1. Discussion was about slut-shaming and women posting sexy photos, but he had to make it about men which is a super common anti-Feminist derailing tactic.
2. He starts by personally insulting me.
3. He butted his head in on some conversation that obviously he knows nothing about just to tell me I was wrong.
4. He deflects criticism with the "to each his own" at the end. He doesn't want to take a position, he just wants to tear me down for expressing mine.

Bonus points for people = men too.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Rosalind posted:

I've used the term mansplaining before because yeah it's frustrating as hell when I'm talking statistics and public health (what I do for a living) and some friend-of-a-friend who works as chef starts lecturing me on how statistics actually work.

That i-know-statistics-better-than-you routine is always both funny and confounding to me. I work in the medical field and interact with data all the time, but when the actual data people start talking i can't follow any of it, and so accord them appropriate respect. Many many doctors think they know stats better than our statistician colleagues though and can get really smug about it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Rosalind posted:

I've used the term mansplaining before because yeah it's frustrating as hell when I'm talking statistics and public health (what I do for a living) and some friend-of-a-friend who works as chef starts lecturing me on how statistics actually work. I guess on the internet is harder to discern motive and tone, but mansplanations are still, in my mind, noticeable.

Here is a clear example of mansplaining that was actually directed at me recently. Some jerk (who literally works for a "bitcoin venture capital firm" :lol:) that I didn't know chimed in with this:

1. Discussion was about slut-shaming and women posting sexy photos, but he had to make it about men which is a super common anti-Feminist derailing tactic.
3. He butted his head in on some conversation that obviously he knows nothing about just to tell me I was wrong.
4. He deflects criticism with the "to each his own" at the end. He doesn't want to take a position, he just wants to tear me down for expressing mine.

Why can't this be "idiot interjecting his wrong opinion, unsolicited" and has to be "mansplaining"?

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
I think sexism is not an accusation to be made lightly, so I only like the term "mansplaining" if there is a noticeable element of sexism besides just a condescending and combative tone, i.e. lecturing women about how they somehow know more about women's experiences than women. This guy definitely qualifies. ("Douche-shaming" isn't a thing, douche.)

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 7, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The real problem with "mansplaining" is that it's a fun word and I now want to find creative ways to use it, it's inmexplicable

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Fandyien posted:

Why can't this be "idiot interjecting his wrong opinion, unsolicited" and has to be "mansplaining"?

It can be either. Mansplaining just ascribes a certain motivation for why this particular idiot decided to interject with his opinion.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rosalind posted:

The only thing that's obviously specifically sexist (and hence lends credence to the "man" in "mansplaining") here seems to be the first one. I get the other three in online discussions all the time. I'm doing a PhD in Physics, but do I really understand why the "evidence" for why Apollo 11 was staged is silly? Obviously not, I was educated stupid, because I disagree with this person and they're going to find any excuse to ignore my criticism of their view.

Rosalind posted:

It can be either. Mansplaining just ascribes a certain motivation for why this particular idiot decided to interject with his opinion.

Most of the reasons you explicitly cited for why this is mansplaining don't bear that out, though. If there is extra context here I'm missing, feel free to add it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Holy gently caress it's the stupid email chain thread can we please not derail it with 15 people parsing the meaning of "mansplaining"?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

:smugdog:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Most of the reasons you explicitly cited for why this is mansplaining don't bear that out, though. If there is extra context here I'm missing, feel free to add it.

That's like saying "this is only a cake recipe because it calls for frosting; you can use flour, eggs, and water in other things too". It's a sum of the issues, not that each of them on its own stands as sole proof of mansplaining.

Also, it's kind of funny that you respond to "this was a sexist comment directed at me" with "but similar things happen to me all the time and they're not sexist in nature", which is kind of exactly the argument Rosalind was quoting.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Crackbone posted:

Holy gently caress it's the stupid email chain thread can we please not derail it with 15 people parsing the meaning of "mansplaining"?

I'd rather hear some more people explain alternative arithmetic techniques.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Affording Health Care and Education on the Minimum Wage

quote:

It's easy, it only takes 10 full-time weeks out of the year at minimum wage to afford to enroll in one year of a 2 year college program. Just don't eat anything or need any car repairs or pay any bills for one week out of every month and you'll be there in no time. :smugbert:

Or work two full time minimum wage jobs and be a full time student, then for only one week out of each month you have to find a way to survive on $290 for your 16 hours of labor instead of the $580 you'd be getting from both jobs. I'm not sure when you'll sleep working 80 hours a week and being a full time student but I'm sure you'll manage.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 7, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Oh you#re deep in college debt? Well you should have made better life decisions, college isn't for everyone! What? No jobs? McDonalds is always hiring!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

Oh you#re deep in college debt? Well you should have made better life decisions, college isn't for everyone! What? No jobs? McDonalds is always hiring!

Those were the literal arguments that the poster of that link pulled out in the comments. He called people with college debt "entitled" because they think they deserve a good paying job out of college.
:psyduck:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

He called people with college debt "entitled" because they think they deserve a good paying job out of college.

It's so weird how those types don't understand it's not really the student with an entitlement complex. We're all losing out because someone freshly-educated is either being paid poorly, low on free time, or just not working. The graduate is both suffering and not contributing to society as fully as possible. The least we can to is increase minimum wage to living wage so even while employers fail to get the best use out of graduates, the grads themselves can use their free time to be productive. Literally nobody is winning in this scenario.

"Heh, that history grad's working at Wendy's! That's better than putting her to use at a museum or cultural site, because it makes me feel better about my job's eventual displacement by automated machinery."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ArchangeI posted:

BTW McDonald's is a job for teenagers so you shouldn't be working there scumbag.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I just found an amazing thing:

At the end of World War II, the US War Department issued an Orientation Fact Sheet that defined fascism as "government by the few, for the few" and warned that "American fascists [would] try to disguise themselves behind the flag as '100 percent Americans'" and provided this guide to uncovering them: "(1) They pit religious, racial and economic groups against each other, in order to break down national unity; (2) They cannot tolerate the brotherhood of man, or international cooperation ... which contradict the fascist theory of the master race; (3) They indiscriminately pin the label "Red" on people and proposals which they oppose."

(from Michaela Hoenicke Moore, Know Your Enemy: The American Debate on Nazism, 1933-1945, p. 348.

I was reading this for class, and all I could think was "Holy poo poo, that sounds like the modern Republican Party." As exemplified by the kind of crazy poo poo we see in this thread.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Rosalind posted:

Because shaming a hospital isn't going to win you any favors. It's a hospital. Even if they're doing one jerk thing and not giving these providers admitting privileges, it's still generally a place people associate as being a force of good. Pro-choice advocates attacking a hospital would probably hurt them more than help. Can you imagine the pro-life spin? "Pro-Death Advocates Now Going After Hospitals," etc.

And furthermore admitting privileges are something that are hard to get even at secular hospitals. They didn't set these policies in place to block abortions, it's just the way admitting privileges are granted. Many of them have rules like you have to be a faculty member or you actually have to practice at the hospital. In many cases, it's not something you can just ask for and receive. And then religious hospitals are about as likely to change their policies to allow abortion doctors to get admitting privileges as pro-lifers are to give up and go home.

Focusing on trying to get admitting privileges is a waste of time. Pro-choice advocates know this. Plus if they start trying to focus on this then it seems like they are admitting that admitting privileges are necessary.
This makes perfect sense, thank you.

Dopefish Lives! posted:

I used to follow this person. She has a very nasty habit of jumping all over people for the slightest issue. She once humiliated some poor woman for not knowing what "cis" means - her followers attacked the woman so viciously she was crying. While I agree with the replies to this post explaining why she might have had a problem with what you said, this particular Twitter Feminist is so relentlessly negative and hostile, I couldn't bear following her anymore.
I actually came to like her initially because she was one of the more vocal "gently caress Hugo Schwyzer" people on Twitter. Just because someone is a total rear end in a top hat doesn't mean they can't have really good opinions and good ideas. Hell, everyone that has ever worked with Ralph Nader is in pretty much total agreement that he is an unbelievable prick.

He also happens to have done more good for this country than any other American in the past fifty years.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It's just one big massive circle for those people, and it all leads back to "gently caress you, got mine".

sweart gliwere posted:

It's so weird how those types don't understand it's not really the student with an entitlement complex. We're all losing out because someone freshly-educated is either being paid poorly, low on free time, or just not working. The graduate is both suffering and not contributing to society as fully as possible. The least we can to is increase minimum wage to living wage so even while employers fail to get the best use out of graduates, the grads themselves can use their free time to be productive. Literally nobody is winning in this scenario.

"Heh, that history grad's working at Wendy's! That's better than putting her to use at a museum or cultural site, because it makes me feel better about my job's eventual displacement by automated machinery."

Looking for a job right now out of college PERIOD is hard as hell. Doesn't matter if you have a degree that looks passable or not.

It's what a good portion of people who have that thought process don't understand. It's a lot easier to blame them, then take a look at the bigger problems in this country.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 8, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

vyelkin posted:

I just found an amazing thing:

At the end of World War II, the US War Department issued an Orientation Fact Sheet that defined fascism as "government by the few, for the few" and warned that "American fascists [would] try to disguise themselves behind the flag as '100 percent Americans'" and provided this guide to uncovering them: "(1) They pit religious, racial and economic groups against each other, in order to break down national unity; (2) They cannot tolerate the brotherhood of man, or international cooperation ... which contradict the fascist theory of the master race; (3) They indiscriminately pin the label "Red" on people and proposals which they oppose."

(from Michaela Hoenicke Moore, Know Your Enemy: The American Debate on Nazism, 1933-1945, p. 348.

I was reading this for class, and all I could think was "Holy poo poo, that sounds like the modern Republican Party." As exemplified by the kind of crazy poo poo we see in this thread.

It does sound a lot like the Republicans, but for what it's worth it's also a really weird idea of how fascists would operate.

vvvvvv It's fascinating stuff, thank you! I love how by the third paragraph they've decided Japan was also a fascist country. Nope, totally not a term of abuse here, folks.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 8, 2014

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
For the record, here's the actual fact sheet as presented in somewhat tragic formatting by Archive.org.

http://archive.org/stream/ArmyTalkOrientationFactSheet64-Fascism/Fascism64_djvu.txt

Edit: You're welcome! I've been led up the river enough times by reading things on the Internet and knee-jerking that now I reflexively check my sources, no matter what side is providing the information. History major reflexes I suppose.

It's not too weird an idea, the sheet there is discussing how fascists come to power--Hitler and the Nazis rose to power using that exact textbook slate (see also: Reichstag fire, Night of the Long Knives, Pastor Martin Neimoller). Very similar strategies were used in Italy, and to a more divergent extent in Japan (the militarists there divided the nation, turned it on its own moderate elements, downplayed international cooperation (see also: Japan leaves the League of Nations)). Once IN power, it notes, fascists will quickly discard their coats of many colors and set about enforcing those promises they think will benefit them the most, which usually involves breaking the ability to resist among those who are most vulnerable to government attack--the working-class, the poor, religious and racial minorities.

You can see extremely similar strategies and outright plotting in a lot of far-right parties today, such as the British BNP.

Edit Edit: Defining Japan's regime in that time period as "fascist" IS a little outlier compared to how Germany and Italy were run, and perhaps skewing the term some, but the similarities ARE quite high. "Militarist" is almost certainly better.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 8, 2014

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Fascism in that sense is the ideal of the bandit nation raping and plundering for it's own profits.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Swan Oat posted:

Isn't the taxation bit how things were under the wildly successful Articles of Confederation

I believe so, but I can't really parse out anything the guy says before dropping into mises.org articles so I think I'll do my marriage a favor and just marginalize him and never solicit his opinion on anything ever.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The days grow cold as I see joy, life and happiness flit away forever! Liberal Logic 101!

"Making us back up our bullshit claims is just being mean!"

Little Known Fact - LL101 no longer feels obnligated to even present an argument.

....I got no idea what the hell they're on about.

If you think about it, thing I don't like is like thing other people don't like, because thing is bad. Not pointing out that if we're looking at it like traffic, its more like everyone getting home an hour faster except for the people who work from home.

Like Jesus said, only war is the appropriate response to anything happening ever!

Hate speech is stopped in both cases. Logic remains consistent and perfectly reasoned. Yeah, anyonewh o understands arguments is buying it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquor_license#United_States

Allen West - still projecting like a delusional motherfucker.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Allen West - still projecting like a delusional motherfucker.

It's cool that LL loves a literal war criminal so much. It's true, I'm a liberal and I want to divide the country into "People who have not committed war crimes" and "Allen West".

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Fulchrum posted:

Noted war criminal Allen West - still projecting like a delusional motherfucker.

Fixed that for you.

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.

Fulchrum posted:

The days grow cold as I see joy, life and happiness flit away forever! Liberal Logic 101!

"Making us back up our bullshit claims is just being mean!"

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/04/us/politics/conservative-group-counters-criticism-of-ad-against-health-law.html?_r=0

quote:

The main issue over the initial Michigan commercial was whether Ms. Boonstra would face higher out-of-pocket costs because of co-payments and other requirements before she hit a ceiling on total spending, compared with the costs under her previous policy. Critics said that with the lower premiums on the new policy, Ms. Boonstra could end up spending essentially the same amount because of the cap on overall spending.

But Mr. Phillips said that “we do believe she will end up having more out-of-pocket costs” under the new plan because of limits on medications and treatments. He said the new insurance policy also makes her costs much more unpredictable than the more regular monthly costs she experienced under the old plan.

Fulchrum posted:

David Gregory on Meet the Press is a conservative lap dog. I wish he knew how much they hate him, maybe he'd chill out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

I looked into it, and it seems to be a classic case of terrible prosecutor 'discretion'/double standards, to wit;

Wikipedia posted:

On the December 23, 2012 broadcast of Meet the Press with National Rifle Association chief executive Wayne LaPierre, Gregory displayed what he identified as "a magazine for ammunition that carries 30 bullets". NBC had requested permission from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) to include a high-capacity magazine in the segment and were denied. Gregory displayed the magazine on the show, with media reports noting D.C. Code 7-2506.01(b) prohibits the possession of magazines with a capacity in excess of "10 rounds of ammunition."

On December 26, 2012, MPD spokesmen confirmed the launch of an inquiry. When asked by CNN on December 27, 2012, if he thought Gregory should be prosecuted, NRA president David Keene responded, "No, I don't think so... I really think what David Gregory did while he was inadvertently flouting the law was illustrating in a very graphic way, perhaps not intentionally, but in a graphic way just how silly some of these laws are." Other gun rights advocates argued that not charging Gregory would show D.C. police to be hypocritical in enforcing gun laws.

On January 8, 2013, a spokeswoman for D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said her department has "completed the investigation into this matter, and the case has been presented to the District’s Office of the Attorney General for a determination of the prosecutorial merit of the case." On January 11, 2013, Attorney General of the District of Columbia Irvin Nathan declared Gregory's action was in violation of 7-2506.01(b),[37] but that he would not proceed with prosecution.

Mark Witschek is on a lot of Townhall and opinion stuff, but maybe the Washington times is alright?

Washington Times posted:

Mark Witaschek, a successful financial adviser with no criminal record, is facing two years in prison for possession of unregistered ammunition after D.C. police raided his house looking for guns. Mr. Witaschek has never had a firearm in the city, but he is being prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

D.C. law requires residents to register every firearm with the police, and only registered gun owners can possess ammunition, which includes spent shells and casings. The maximum penalty for violating these laws is a $1,000 fine and a year in jail.

After entering the house, the police immediately went upstairs, pointed guns at the heads of Mr. Witaschek and his girlfriend, Bonnie Harris, and demanded they surrender, facedown and be handcuffed. His 16-year-old son was in the shower when the police arrived. “They used a battering ram to bash down the bathroom door and pull him out of the shower, naked,” said his father. “The police put all the children together in a room, while we were handcuffed upstairs. I could hear them crying, not knowing what was happening.”

The police found no guns in the house, but did write on the warrant that four items were discovered: “One live round of 12-gauge shotgun ammunition,” which was an inoperable shell that misfired during a hunt years earlier. Mr. Witaschek had kept it as a souvenir. “One handgun holster” was found, which is perfectly legal.

So, the TL:DR is that a media bigwig committed felonies on national TV and isn't prosecuted at all, but a man with an old inoperable relic shell faces two years and a felony charge.

It seems pretty ridiculous that anyone should face a felony charge for having a spent shell somewhere in their car or possessions when they drive through DC.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 8, 2014