Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Re: short gameplay vids check out pcengine.co.uk or is it pc-engine.co.uk they have tons of shorts that are pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tyson Tomko posted:

The last "new system" I got was a CD-i so it's been a while since I've had an enormous library opened up to me.

Ugh, this is me. It's been a while since I broke a new frontier, but I'm not sure where to go. My heart says PC Engine/TG-16, but my brain says...well, I'm not really sure what it says.

In other, actual retro gaming news:

Quick n' dirty cell pic for cheap n' dirty games. I received bargain bin Super Tetris 2 + Bombliss and Super Puyo Puyo from Solaris Japan in the mail today.

I'm pretty impressed with Tetris 2; it seems like Bullet Proof Software put in the effort to properly adapt the game to the SNES. Admittedly, I'm running through RGB, but the sprites are nice and sharp looking, and it runs at a smooth frame rate. Frame rate might seem like an odd thing to note in a Tetris game, but it's a noticeable thing. When those blocks are falling, it sucks when they're falling screen chunk by screen chunk, rather than flowing down a pixel at a time.

Super Puyo Puyo is good, clean, and goofy fun, naturally. I can't help but think of Game Center CX when I play it. Of course, it's probably bargain bin because it's two-tone, a puzzle game, and some jerk wrote on it:

Who are you, something-something-chi? :argh:

But actually, cart writing is something I kind of like, at least for cheap, loose carts. Pristine CIB games are nice and all, but they feel so...abstract. Like, you know they're vintage, and they're old, but they don't feel it. They don't really evoke the era they're from for me. This Puyo Puyo just feels real to me; be it in 1993 or whenever, someone bought this game, and used it, and put the weight of years into it.

As a heads up, Solaris Japan's bargain SFC stock is getting pretty diminished, so people looking for cheap SFC games might want to look and buy ASAP for any possible wheat amongst the chaff, before it dwindles down to solely lovely anime license, F1 racing, sports, and Dragonball Z games, and third-tier RPGs.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tyson Tomko posted:

The last "new system" I got was a CD-i so it's been a while since I've had an enormous library opened up to me. Christmas time!

Are there even games worth playing for the CD-i? I almost picked one up a while ago, but it wasn't reading anything so I passed it up.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Cannot Find Server posted:

Are there even games worth playing for the CD-i? I almost picked one up a while ago, but it wasn't reading anything so I passed it up.

Ask for a demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ywTiw1lhw

e: oh my good lord how did i not know about this. hulk hogan starring in a tv show about a talking boat, this game, any of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCOYOPssiqs

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 7, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

e: oh my good lord how did i not know about this. hulk hogan starring in a tv show about a talking boat, this game, any of it

I knew of the show but not the game. I think we have found the ultimate game.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
The music during gameplay is 7 seconds long and doesn't even loop properly and I can't stop laughing help

e: there is a button in hulk hogan's boat that plays a video of ladies in a bikini and nothing else

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 7, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

absolutely anything posted:

Well I'm convinced, guess it's time to pick up a CD-i.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

The only legit CD-i games I had before I got the CD-i (gotta love having games with no consoles for them) were Battleship and Tennis, so of course those were the games I tried out first. Battleship was cool but I was geniuniley surprised at how much I enjoyed Tennis. There are lots of other better games out there I won't go into due to laziness but you seriously need to check out this video if you consider yourself a fan of the 80s/90s.

My only regret CD-i wise is that I only have the spoon-ish controller right now. It does a decent enough job but man I imagine the actual regular controller would make things so much smoother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUELYHjehk8

(Great example of what we discussed earlier. It took me 20-30 seconds to find a video clip without annoying commentary or extra garbage)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

There used to be a rather awesome store called Incredible Universe down here, think Best Buy crossed with a theme park. They had a fantastic video game section in the mid 90's, with a couch and a big screen TV where they'd hold RPG nights where they'd have one game running that people would just jump in and out of until it was complete, I think this is how I first played Chrono Trigger. Anyway they also had demo units of all the crazy expensive and lesser known systems of the time like the Laseractive and the CD-I, I remember being blown away by a demo of a game called Chaos Control on the CD-I, which was a rail shooter where you flew around the Stature of Liberty and stuff.

I also remember a weird racing game or something where you were a tiny ship that went through prerendered tracks of environments like a house or something, it was either for the Laseractive or CD-I.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it was Rocket Coaster for the Laseractive. Sorry for the poo poo video which is an example of everything terrible people were discussing earlier about game videos, but there's no proper longplay of this.

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 7, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Ogiyura.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

There used to be a rather awesome store called Incredible Universe down here, think Best Buy crossed with a theme park. They had a fantastic video game section in the mid 90's, with a couch and a big screen TV where they'd hold RPG nights where they'd have one game running that people would just jump in and out of until it was complete, I think this is how I first played Chrono Trigger. Anyway they also had demo units of all the crazy expensive and lesser known systems of the time like the Laseractive and the CD-I, I remember being blown away by a demo of a game called Chaos Control on the CD-I, which was a rail shooter where you flew around the Stature of Liberty and stuff.

I remember Incredible Universe imploding hysterically. It was out of the gate the "cool new store" and then, blammo!, vanished again. I checked on Wikipedia to see exactly what happened to them and I saw that the chain was founded in 1992 and shut down in 1996. For those who never encountered one (they only opened seventeen of them so that would be most of you) picture the insanity of Best Buy at its peak, then triple that both in size and insanity. I remember them being horrible places to shop which would probably have a lot to do with why they couldn't stay in business. Well, that and being absurdly gigantic electronics super stores run by Radio Shack.

I actually have a copy of Chaos Control for the PC. It's something special.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I remember them being horrible places to shop

I was like... 10 so I remember them being awesome places to be left all day while my parents did other things. All I think we ever bought there was a computer to replace our 286 (100mhz Pentium, 1gb HDD, win95), and Donkey Kong Land for Game Boy (awful disappointment). I still can't believe those places existed, it was really really surreal and hard to describe to anyone who hasn't seen one first hand.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

There was an Incredible Universe here in Oregon. Unfortunately, they were about two hours from where I lived at the time, so I only ever got to go there once. And yeah, it was pretty much like you mentioned; demo units for anything and everything current (including the Virtual Boy, which was set to play "Waterworld" on, and which I couldn't make head nor tails of). It was very much akin to a giant, loud, electronics carnival. Sadly, there wasn't enough awesome to keep it from going out of business and the location (which was along Interstate 5) from becoming a Fry's Electronics.

That demo video takes me back; it seems so trite and cheesy now, but getting to play a demo game that had FMV graphics overlaid with low-res explosion sprites was the bee's knees back in the day. Maybe because it was more compelling, if for a bit, than the all sprite-only SNES and Genesis games. And maybe because, unless your rich parents were recklessly burning money on material purchases to make up for their emotional neglect, there really wasn't much of a chance in hell that you'd actually get your parents to buy a 3DO or Sega CD or CD-i. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that, while familiarity breeds contempt.

Much obliged! I wonder if this little Ogiyura carried their game marking days into the 32-bit era, marking up the shiny side of their Saturn discs with おき゛ゆら and then wondering why the game was giving read errors.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Since talking about retro electronics stores is also retro gaming, I found a PDF of a store map for Incredible Universe. That's right, they had a karaoke booth in the front entrance and a stage with regular performances taking place on it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Since talking about retro electronics stores is also retro gaming, I found a PDF of a store map for Incredible Universe. That's right, they had a karaoke booth in the front entrance and a stage with regular performances taking place on it.

Holy poo poo, while that really doesn't give a good idea of the size of each of the mini stores (picture the games area being the size of a typical GameStop, use that to scale everything else) you can clearly see the insanity. What I remember most was just how much of an assault on the senses the place was, it wasn't brightly lit so it was just an enormous sea of flickering CRTs, booming sound systems, and lighting more suited for a rave. There were always people up on stages demoing products, musical acts playing, and loving clowns. I seem to remember they handed out free popcorn and had people making balloon animals and poo poo. Going to work in that environment day in and day out must have either been awesome or soul crushing depending on your personality.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Ogiwara (おぎわら).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Holy poo poo, huge nostalgiabomb there. There was an IU behind Potomac Mills mall in Virginia. Potomac Mills was already a fun place for a dumb suburban kid to visit on the weekends but Incredible Universe was like a theme park. Not long after we visited Disney World and the Epcot center reminded me of the place . They had demo stations for the very lovely Sonic racing and a voice activated game that was like a shittier Nintendogs but blew my mind in 95/96 whenever.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

al-azad posted:

Holy poo poo, huge nostalgiabomb there. There was an IU behind Potomac Mills mall in Virginia. Potomac Mills was already a fun place for a dumb suburban kid to visit on the weekends but Incredible Universe was like a theme park. Not long after we visited Disney World and the Epcot center reminded me of the place . They had demo stations for the very lovely Sonic racing and a voice activated game that was like a shittier Nintendogs but blew my mind in 95/96 whenever.

Yep. Then they closed up all of the sudden.

Edit: Apparently, it's empty now? They never took the flags down... :raise:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Yep. Then they closed up all of the sudden.

Edit: Apparently, it's empty now? They never took the flags down... :raise:

It ended up being a military training/development center I think. Now I assume it's a 200k square foot eyesore.

I was kind of surprised when a friend told me that Disney was in talks with the state to build a Civil War theme park. I don't know, I kind of wanted to see that but my small town blew up enough in a decade that any more traffic on I95 is not appreciated.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Peenmaster posted:

:siren:WARNING THIS LINKS TO SOMETHING I MADE:siren:

I pretty much agree with what everyone else said, and it's great. I especially agree that a bit of the title screen could be nice, but maybe not the full attract mode since some of those can be lengthy or not compelling.

Also the suggestion of having a brief descriptive blurb in the about section, and then the nitty-gritty details past the 'read more'. Especially in terms of explaining what's going on during the gameplay that might not be intuitive, it similarly took me a bit to figure out what the red flashing was. As mentioned I loved the use of annotations ala the Mr. Gimmick longplay, and I feel like that could be a really good idea to take after, but I suppose it's up to you if you have a problem with them.

Quiet Feet posted:

Guys I disabled the 10Nes chip in an Nintendo I just got. Are the cops gonna come get me? :ohdear:

And is there anything more stressful than doing this for the first time and asking yourself over and over again "am I really, really SURE I've got the right pin?"

I know that feeling since I just did this myself a few months ago, but I'm sure it'll be infinitely worse once I move onto bigger projects. Like replacing the +20 capacitors in my Game Gear. :suicide:

Edit: SPEAKING OF. I remember the Hakko-888 was pretty much heralded as the soldering station of choice lately, but I remember most people seemed to prefer the analogue version to the digital version. But these days I can't actually find the analogue one. Is there much of a different that should concern me there?

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 7, 2014

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
It's not so much that a lot of us prefer the analog version. It's just that the digital version replaced it and is so new to the market when considering probably all the people here who have been using Hakkos for a while have been using the same one for a long rear end time.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

zari-gani posted:

Ogiwara (おぎわら).
That is totally it. Ogiwara is actually a name.

lazken
May 4, 2011

Do not feed the monkey
It's sold me on it too. Got the game reasonably cheap on ebay, now just to wait for a reasonable condition cheap console. Welp.

Well I'm convinced, guess it's time to pick up a CD-i.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Incredible Universe was the first place I ever experienced a Sega Saturn or Rayman. I remember it being a magical place that just constantly vomited 90's raditude in your face. The one in Northern Virginia had a McDonald's inside :krad:. The building is still there, to this day, but now a government contractor is there building amphibious vehicles.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Agrias120 posted:

Incredible Universe was the first place I ever experienced a Sega Saturn or Rayman. I remember it being a magical place that just constantly vomited 90's raditude in your face. The one in Northern Virginia had a McDonald's inside :krad:. The building is still there, to this day, but now a government contractor is there building amphibious vehicles.

Nope. They vacated the building in September 2012.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

RadicalR posted:

Nope. They vacated the building in September 2012.

Oh, really? I didn't realize they weren't there anymore. Well now that's even more sad, just sitting there, rotting away. We should set up a retro swap meet there. :yarr:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Guys.

Burger Burger Pocket is the best GB game. A translation of this game is so imperative.

Also VB GB emulator making me want another Flashboy

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Code Jockey posted:

I do this all the time. :respek:

I like putting longplays/some of the longer TAS runs up on the projector when I just want some background noise while I clean or whatever.

I have lost track of how many times I've fallen asleep to/watched bits and pieces of the "reverse boss order" Super Metroid run.

e. Cubex's channel is the best, with DerSchmu for my C64 fix.

We are not alone! :glomp: Super Metroid is a great one to go to sleep to with that rad-rear end music. Friends :unsmith:

RE : YouTube discussion - I don't care what your feelings are or aren't about annotations, but they don't work on tablets and mobile devices (or if they do they're disabled on everything I own and I have found no way to turn them on) so I wouldn't rely on annotations for information that could be considered crucial or integral to your video in any way.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Caitlin posted:

RE : YouTube discussion - I don't care what your feelings are or aren't about annotations, but they don't work on tablets and mobile devices (or if they do they're disabled on everything I own and I have found no way to turn them on) so I wouldn't rely on annotations for information that could be considered crucial or integral to your video in any way.

This is a fantastic point. The main reason why I recommended it was because of its ability to be unobtrusive but also VERY informative. It would make sense that anything critical/integral would/should make it into the More Info crawlspace, but if you decide that you've got the free time for well-done annotations, it could be good.

Ideally, annotation-having shouldn't make or break a video - those on a mobile device looking to answer a question in a bar or something would have the same piece without the added context, but those at home would see a more rich delivery system.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Agrias120 posted:

Oh, really? I didn't realize they weren't there anymore. Well now that's even more sad, just sitting there, rotting away. We should set up a retro swap meet there. :yarr:

You know... That's not a bad idea. Dunno if people are allowed to park there though.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bing the Noize posted:

Guys.

Burger Burger Pocket is the best GB game. A translation of this game is so imperative.

Also VB GB emulator making me want another Flashboy

There's a sequel too, Burger Paradise.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Anyone interested in a complete Everdrive MDv3? I apparently failed as a parent - my kids aren't as interested in Genesis games as I thought they'd be. I'll probably be putting up a thread in SAMart; selling my EMDv3 (in a Sonic 2 NFR shell with a 2GB RSMMC card), US NTSC Genesis 1 VA3 (No TMSS), SCART RGB cable, and a RGB SCART to HDMI converter box

Edit: The large majority of the lot has been claimed. The Genesis and 2 6-button controllers are still available, but that's all

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 8, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I dunno if this has been posted already (Haven't read the thread in a bit because I suck and you guys move fast) but if not this is loving amazing

http://tformers.com/transformers-mega-drive-megatron-transforms-into-a-sega-game-console-/22473/news.html

Its a transformer that becomes a mega drive. What. :stare:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno if this has been posted already (Haven't read the thread in a bit because I suck and you guys move fast) but if not this is loving amazing

http://tformers.com/transformers-mega-drive-megatron-transforms-into-a-sega-game-console-/22473/news.html

Transformers!
More than meets the eye!
Transformers!
Sega Mega-Drive!

Although it really should convert into a working Sega Mega Drive. :colbert:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sega does what Nintendon't.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Not just "a" transformer, it's a Mega Tron Mega Drive. I'm going to assume that Optimus Prime is a Super Famicom, then.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

Not just "a" transformer, it's a Mega Tron Mega Drive. I'm going to assume that Optimus Prime is a Super Famicom, then.

Super FamiConvoy! I can see it now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Super FamiConvoy! I can see it now.

Damnit, I was looking for a pun when I posted that and I forgot his Japanese name! :argh:

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I wonder if you can still eat these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-MAN-198...=item35d2429576

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

"Vitamins have absorbed humidity and are now moist and soft. The vitamins have NOT been wet. Old vitamins tend to get soft and squishy over the years." :cry:

• Locked thread