Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

The more I hear about Impossible Universe, the more it sounds like that warehouse from the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie where they gave cigarettes to kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sentient Data posted:

Anyone interested in a complete Everdrive MDv3? I apparently failed as a parent - my kids aren't as interested in Genesis games as I thought they'd be. I'll probably be putting up a thread in SAMart; selling my EMDv3 (in a Sonic 2 NFR shell with a 2GB RSMMC card), US NTSC Genesis 1 VA3 (No TMSS), SCART RGB cable, and a RGB SCART to HDMI converter box

Oh..oh god. Has it has finally happened? Has our generation become the dorky TV dad we all know and saw, the one who'd break out his cheesy old LPs , trying (and failing) to convince his totally rad '90s kids about how great his '60s and '70s rock is?

Can't be. Maybe your kids just can't handle Sega awesomeness, and need a bowl of milk toast and an SNES instead :colbert: .

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Oh..oh god. Has it has finally happened? Has our generation become the dorky TV dad we all know and saw, the one who'd break out his cheesy old LPs , trying (and failing) to convince his totally rad '90s kids about how great his '60s and '70s rock is?

Can't be. Maybe your kids just can't handle Sega awesomeness, and need a bowl of milk toast and an SNES instead :colbert: .

My nephew loves the Genesis and N64 I've gotten him over the years so it sounds like Sentient Data just needs to get cooler kids! RGB mod your kids

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

d0s posted:

"Vitamins have absorbed humidity and are now moist and soft. The vitamins have NOT been wet. Old vitamins tend to get soft and squishy over the years." :cry:

THEY'VE ALL BECOME POWER PELLETS!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kthulhu5000 posted:

2015 is just around the corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RodShaft posted:

The more I hear about Impossible Universe, the more it sounds like that warehouse from the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie where they gave cigarettes to kids.

Minus the smoking, pretty much.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Quick: one year remains for someone to make a Wild Gunman modified PCB with "CRACK SHOT!" bonus.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Forgive me if this is a repost, haven't seen it mentioned anywhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIP8IsxIvcY

Dude's making a Power Base Converter with a built-in FM module! Details here: http://www.db-elec.com/home/lab-journal/2014-03-mar

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Kthulhu5000 posted:

It happened freaking ages ago, I married somebody quite a bit younger than myself and it's been murder trying to foist Dragon Quest on him. Wouldn't play the original Ys either - "what kind of combat system is this???" He hasn't even touched a PC Engine.

Has not even loving touched a PC Engine. Ok he touched one I guess, if packing stuff I sell even counts.

Then he plays some pixel art retroesque platformer on his PC that looks exactly like Wonderboy in Monster Land. I ask him to play Dynastic Hero - "no, that looks rubbish" he says.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

A Transformers Genesis is quite possibly the peak nerdiest thing I've ever wanted to own in my entire life. Too bad it'll probably be some super-pricy exclusive, I assume.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

To be fair, it might also depend on the age of the kids, and how many other, newer kinds of video games are being foisted on them by other relatives at the same time.

Also as said, maybe he just doesn't have cool kids. :colbert:

(Now, watch me pretend I totally don't have a retro system already squirreled away to give my future kids/nieces/nephews someday and that I'm going to sweat bullets over it or anything.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
My wife's friend's kid came by the house the other day so she asked me to entertain him while they BSed; he loves video games and is very good at them (especially Star Wars games on the Wii) but when I got him to try Super Mario 1 and 2 on the NES he couldn't make it through the first stage in either game. Was kinda interesting to see because I guess he was just used to "3-d controls" or non 2-d games or something.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Since the thread is still on the topic of kids and gaming, here's a post I made in the PS4 thread. They may not be as interested in Genesis games, but at least I can be happy that it's not a case of the new generation only being interested in Angry Birds or [insert super simple game here]

Sentient Data posted:

Yep, totally convinced that Rayman Legends can easily be this called this generation's Mario or Sonic as far as first-time-ever video game players are concerned

Here's 15 minutes of a very young kid playing Rayman unassisted, probably only about 2 hours or so total of gameplay experience with the game before I made this video (before that, she played a little bit of Sonic on the Genesis). I know it's probably a LOOK AT MY KID parent moment, but I really love how you can see the wheels turning as she tries to figure out how to get past different parts of the level - the ground pound at 5:45 is probably my favorite part of the video. (The camera mode that begins about 3:30 ends at 4:35)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1410566875860732&l=7289805153692242720

And here's how the same kid did about 2 weeks later (with playing video games limited to around a half hour per day on the days she wants to play) - pretty much indistinguishable from one of my own mid-hangover runs
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1414329298817823&l=1872980009940625326

After giving it a little more thought, I think game overs are the real difference between the game generations, since my kids never once complained about graphics or responsiveness. Pretty sure the argument's been done do death in the thread, but it seems like they're a holdover from the arcade era that helped pad out the length of early games, but they are really punishing to someone who's really new to gaming as a whole

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Sentient Data posted:

2nd video link

Spoilers on that 2nd video! It's one of the most fun moments I've ever had on the WiiU. I love the poo poo out of that level. Came as a total shock to me.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I recently dusted off the ol' Sega Saturn and purchased a SCART cable and this SCART to HDMI converter after watching a YouTube review, and the results are quite amazing. Blows any other options out of the water if you're looking to play Saturn on an HDTV.

I just got through playing a few rounds of Virtua Fighter 2, and if there's any lag it's hardly noticeable.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

After giving it a little more thought, I think game overs are the real difference between the game generations, since my kids never once complained about graphics or responsiveness. Pretty sure the argument's been done do death in the thread, but it seems like they're a holdover from the arcade era that helped pad out the length of early games, but they are really punishing to someone who's really new to gaming as a whole

You know, there might be something to that. In thinking about it, I think I recall putting games down when I was younger not due to them being too hard, but rather, due to game overs and being frustrated by having to start the entire thing over. Goodness knows I'd throw myself at the hardest gauntlets repeatedly until I could beat them, just as long as I was allowed to do so and not having to do seven worlds all over again.

It really does kind of strike me now that more of the game I beat when I first started out were ones that weren't too stingy with extra lives, or ones with save/password systems. (Alternately: Ones I was cheating the dickens out of with the neighbor's Game Genie.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I really hated games that didn't count 0 as a life.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
My MAK Strike V3 showed up today! Too bad I don't even need it anymore :v:

I don't see myself getting so many PCB's in the future that I would need this around but like I said my Neo board 8-bit Miniboss so kindly traded me is currently living in a beat up old Street Fighter 2 with a mostly good monitor at my friend's place, and will live there until I get my candy cab.

One or two retrogoons already asked me to let them know when I got it because the story is old news but the MAK Strike looks crazy well built. I'm almost tempted to go grab some lovely JAMMA boards to gently caress around with but :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Midnight Raider posted:

You know, there might be something to that. In thinking about it, I think I recall putting games down when I was younger not due to them being too hard, but rather, due to game overs and being frustrated by having to start the entire thing over. Goodness knows I'd throw myself at the hardest gauntlets repeatedly until I could beat them, just as long as I was allowed to do so and not having to do seven worlds all over again.

It really does kind of strike me now that more of the game I beat when I first started out were ones that weren't too stingy with extra lives, or ones with save/password systems. (Alternately: Ones I was cheating the dickens out of with the neighbor's Game Genie.)

Game Overs are one of the absolute worst mechanics in video games and I never liked them. The later levels are the hardest, those are the ones I want to practice but I have to trudge through the early levels because the game features an arbitrary holdover from arcades or they want to keep people from beating them in a weekend. Every game should have followed Castlevania or Mega Man's lead. Get game over? Kick you back to the beginning of the stage or world, don't end the whole game especially when your game takes longer than 60 minutes to beat!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Bing the Noize posted:

My MAK Strike V3 showed up today!

I assume this is for making an arcade control panel that's JAMMA compatible? Or plugging in existing pads? Both?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

al-azad posted:

Game Overs are one of the absolute worst mechanics in video games and I never liked them. The later levels are the hardest, those are the ones I want to practice but I have to trudge through the early levels because the game features an arbitrary holdover from arcades or they want to keep people from beating them in a weekend. Every game should have followed Castlevania or Mega Man's lead. Get game over? Kick you back to the beginning of the stage or world, don't end the whole game especially when your game takes longer than 60 minutes to beat!

I wholeheartedly disagree. Most modern games don't feel worthwhile to me in that there's very little lasting punishment for failure. Game overs make you genuinely have to work to improve your skills to succeed. Too many games lately allow you to just beat your head against an obstacle until luck allows you to move forward.

That's not to say, of course, that I don't feel that there's a place for games without a game over for failure. I just feel that failure needs to be meaningful. If there's no punishment that sets the player back in some significant way, there's no impetus for improvement.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

G-Prime posted:

I wholeheartedly disagree. Most modern games don't feel worthwhile to me in that there's very little lasting punishment for failure. Game overs make you genuinely have to work to improve your skills to succeed. Too many games lately allow you to just beat your head against an obstacle until luck allows you to move forward.

That's not to say, of course, that I don't feel that there's a place for games without a game over for failure. I just feel that failure needs to be meaningful. If there's no punishment that sets the player back in some significant way, there's no impetus for improvement.

On the other hand, game genies/gamesharks/etc existed and were very popular back when games were all about the game overs. And the start on later level codes were always the first ones listed in the codes...

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
They still do exist, and so do cheats. And not everybody uses either of them. That doesn't inherently change anything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't hate failure and I enjoy games where I'm forced to improved. But going through all the easy levels just to get back to the hard levels... and eventually die again isn't fun. It's padding. I repeat the multiple choice portion of the driving test because I failed parallel parking.

Maximo was one of my favoite new old-school games. It has permanent game over, lives, and continues. Lives are relatively easy to get but continues cost increasingly more money. If you're not careful you can screw yourself late in the game but you can also save outside of levels so smart players will stack their saves.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

G-Prime posted:

They still do exist, and so do cheats. And not everybody uses either of them. That doesn't inherently change anything.

I think the Lego games are the only games for consoles that are still released with cheat codes. Cheats have become pay to win DLC.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)

RodShaft posted:

This! I used to live right next to the one outside Atlanta (satellite and Steve Reynolds I-85). It was like a loving circus atmosphere. We also used to have Media Play and a massive CompUSA all in a 4 block radius. 90s Atlanta was crazy. I remember a group of asian gangsters hijacked a CompUSA delivery truck when I was in school at Duluth High and there were $20 Neo-Geo games and other crazy expensive poo poo being sold all over school.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Galloping Ghost Arcade are streaming some kind of Pole Position tournament thing??: http://www.twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

in_absentia posted:

a group of asian gangsters hijacked a CompUSA delivery truck

*checks rap sheet*
*checks custom title*

Yup, seems legit. Those crazy Asians always stealing computer parts.

P.S. CompUSA never sold Neo-Geo games :frogout:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Galloping Ghost Arcade are streaming some kind of Pole Position tournament thing??: http://www.twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade

It's a Battle of the Arcades between them, Richie Knucklez and Kencade for a trophy. By them I mean a bunch of the regulars (all WR holders).

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Today's weird hardware acquisition: the GameSaver+ for the SNES, which is an adapter cart that provides emulator-style savestates on a physical console.

This thing is actually pretty popular amongst SNES speedrunners. To use it, you plug your gamecart into the GameSaver, plug the SNES wallwart into the GameSaver, then plug the GameSaver (and its passthrough power plug) into the SNES.

When you power it on, it gives you a boot menu to type in a few codes if games need it. Once you're actually playing the game, Select+L saves state, Select+R restores it.

Unfortunately, as you'd expect, not all games work with it, and you'll typically have glitched-out audio on a load. It also does not behave well with games that feature battery-backed SRAM. But if you're a speedrunner needing to practice a specific stage of a platformer, and you insist on practicing on a physical console, it's pretty handy hardware.

The other unfortunate bit about it: It only works with the original SNESes, which are 10VDC. My main SNES is a Mini, which is 9VAC. So, after testing that it works, it's back in the box :(

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
You sure it doesn't work with Minis? I figure I would have heard that one by now. It says 9V right on the plastic, so...?

The extra pins aren't even connected in the hardware, they just pass through. Most other games work fine, or with the proper revival code.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Keyboard Kid posted:

You sure it doesn't work with Minis? I figure I would have heard that one by now. It says 9V right on the plastic, so...?

The extra pins aren't even connected in the hardware, they just pass through. Most other games work fine, or with the proper revival code.

I'm guessing the 10v and 9v plugs are different sizes?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Keyboard Kid posted:

I thought the Mini was AC, which would be an issue. I'll check.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 9, 2014

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ullerrm posted:

Today's weird hardware acquisition: the GameSaver+ for the SNES, which is an adapter cart that provides emulator-style savestates on a physical console.

This thing is actually pretty popular amongst SNES speedrunners. To use it, you plug your gamecart into the GameSaver, plug the SNES wallwart into the GameSaver, then plug the GameSaver (and its passthrough power plug) into the SNES.

When you power it on, it gives you a boot menu to type in a few codes if games need it. Once you're actually playing the game, Select+L saves state, Select+R restores it.

Unfortunately, as you'd expect, not all games work with it, and you'll typically have glitched-out audio on a load. It also does not behave well with games that feature battery-backed SRAM. But if you're a speedrunner needing to practice a specific stage of a platformer, and you insist on practicing on a physical console, it's pretty handy hardware.

The other unfortunate bit about it: It only works with the original SNESes, which are 10VDC. My main SNES is a Mini, which is 9VAC. So, after testing that it works, it's back in the box :(

There are codes to make it work with various games which I have saved somewhere, I'll share them tomorrow.

Also this works with flash carts perfectly if anyone cared

Manchild King
Oct 22, 2010
Misogynistic, self-absorbed, incredibly unfunny asshole. BLOCK ME or I will steal your face for creepy fetish porn!
I own one of those GameSavers too. Mine came free with a copy of DKC2 I bought from a friend of a friend. Pretty sure it was a pirate cart because it would never save normally.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

To anyone who lives in the US:

When ordering stuff overseas, how long do you often wait before you contact the seller that your parcel hasn't arrived yet? I ordered a MVS cart from Hong Kong a month ago and it still hasn't arrived, so I'm worried that it got lost in the mail. I know these things can take a while, so I'm just looking for advice on when's an acceptable length of time to wait before you go contacting the seller.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Genesis A: Rusted cartridge slot. Clean board.

Genesis B: Kinda rusty board. Clean cartridge slot.

What I've learned tonight: It's possible to desolder every goddamn pin on both slots and swap them out. It's also nowhere near the time and effort. Nevertheless, I never would've thought I could do this and I feel like I just performed some kinda dark magic and I am crackin' a fuckin' beer right now. Prost! :owned:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jimbot posted:

When ordering stuff overseas, how long do you often wait before you contact the seller that your parcel hasn't arrived yet? I ordered a MVS cart from Hong Kong a month ago and it still hasn't arrived, so I'm worried that it got lost in the mail. I know these things can take a while, so I'm just looking for advice on when's an acceptable length of time to wait before you go contacting the seller.

If you ordered it a month ago then it fell in the middle of Chinese New Year so I would give it another week. The basic services really are 4-6 weeks, I loving hate ordering poo poo from Asia.

Still waiting on the GBA flash cart I ordered... August 30. Emailed them in January and they said they would send a replacement. Still waiting.

I don't even want a loving refund I just want to forget this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jimbot posted:

I'd say you need to give it six weeks. If something gets hung up in customs then it could be an extra month before you see it (assuming it gets through).

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I have acquired a thing of beauty.

The dude who sold me this said he was gonna try and source a JAMMA cab for me but in the meantime, I'm going to attempt a supergun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ullerrm posted:

I can assure you the SNES mini and the model 1 use the exact same power cord. Maybe there's other funky stuff going on inside, but it definitely uses the same adapter. I thought the NES was the only system loony enough to use AC? Maybe that's what you are confusing?

I had a Game Saver that I bought from Funcoland when it came out in 1994; it constantly froze Final Fantasy 6 for me so I returned it. The guy in Funcoland literally made me sit there and show him it freezing during FF6 before he let me return it.

I miss Funcoland but man, they were such dicks to me when I was 10 or whatever: "JESUS CHRIST MAN YOU HAVE TO TELL ME YOU ARE BUYING A GAME DURING THE TRADE IN BECAUSE NOW I HAVE TO GO ALL THE WAY BACK THE gently caress TO A DIFFERENT COMPUTER TO RING YOU UP. MOTHER gently caress!!". This was everyone that worked there. I'm not sure what it was about that store. :v:

• Locked thread