Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Its been 'in development' since about November 2011 apparently, so don't get your hopes up. Looks like he's focusing on rebooting the android client now anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm more surprised by the fact that kgs is apparently MAKING SOMETHING

pretty much what my question implied.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Well, I finally encountered another one of those players who just attaches to everything move 4 or so, and I played like how Xopods advised - just to be calm about it. I won by resignation when it was W+120 or so.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

fresh catchphrase posted:

Lemme in on OGS, I am an idiot noob bitch

added. offer me a correspondence game if you like! I recommend that when starting out, play real time games of 9x9, moving up to 13x13 and then 19x19 for big boy poo poo. Realtime is best because the games are quicker and you learn the basics and don't get bored.

Uncle Jam posted:

Its been 'in development' since about November 2011 apparently, so don't get your hopes up. Looks like he's focusing on rebooting the android client now anyway.

we were talking about this the other day and woss linked me to his G+ page, it seems development is very much going ahead at a decent pace.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Sorry for not doing a lecture the last couple of weeks, guys. I've been busy. Maybe I can do one next week.

In other news, I feel like I've shaken off the rust and am mostly back on my game. I've won 11 in a row now so my rank should get up where it belongs fairly soon, even with KGS's sluggish ratings system. I think I might still be a stone or so below my peak if I was playing live simply due to having forgotten most of the joseki I once knew, but that doesn't matter on KGS because no one there plays joseki anyway. :rolleyes:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Well, I finally encountered another one of those players who just attaches to everything move 4 or so, and I played like how Xopods advised - just to be calm about it. I won by resignation when it was W+120 or so.

Glad to hear it. RELENTLESSLY REASONABLE. That's the way we win games against the Internet style.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

Glad to hear it. RELENTLESSLY REASONABLE. That's the way we win games against the Internet style.

Lemons said that he didn't like all the pushing I was doing, but as I saw it - I was just making more secure territory ( and expanding it since I KNOW he's going to do some freaky poo poo when I start doing jumps) and pushing into his centre that he was building. I mean, he's going to be attaching to everything and playing inside my territory at the end (Which he did), anyways, so I might as well be all solid and connected and poo poo. I eventually end up having the entire left and right sides with the top and bottom reduced a bit. If he had played correctly in the bottom right (Because the 3-3 wasn't taken and he had a lone 4-4 surrounded by white walls), then I might've only won by +50 or something. I did make a few yose mistakes that would've cost me a few stones, but he didn't notice and it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
so link the game already

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I will when I'm not phoneposting.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

I will when I'm not phoneposting.

http://eidogo.com/#url:http://files.gokgs.com/games/2014/3/6/Kheldragar-YVA.sgf

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I think you did fine mostly. Only big mistakes I see:

W50 is a bad tenuki; push once more. Your three stones are not strong enough to endure a hane, because after the double hane of B P9, P11 captures. Sure, you can still connect underneath, but it's a swing of more than 10 points in sente for B and a lot of thickness, which is too much to bear.

W84 is an awful move. Don't play diagonal contact underneath like this if you can help it, it should just make him close the corner while gaining you little. Of course he ignores it and you never follow up on it until much later, because you get too caught up in local stuff at the top. But D3 remains a gigantic move for both players for a long time.

EDIT: B197 :negative:

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
play move 106 at H11 and eaet stone

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I think Symbutt raises a good point - against players like these it's really easy to get caught up in the local situation. At what point do I tenuki if they keep pressing?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

How long is a piece of string, ultimately. It's dependent entirely on the game situation, and so you should aim to develop the tools that allow to make better judgements. The main thing you can do is realise that running a big wall like that is really inefficient, because it takes effort to close off, has loads of weak points and is generally allowing black to creep up over it.

Let's look at the situation, starting at Move 42.

1. You have more territory than your opponent by a long shot. The left side is mostly yours, and so is the top corner. Black on the other hand has some potential territory up top but he has to fix the open skirt twice around F18 and P18 first before that's going to happen.

2. Equipped with the knowledge that black actually doesn't have any tangible territory yet, you play P14 which, I think is great. Hard to explain why but it "radiates" across the board shall we say.

3. When black plays O14, you should calmly reply with something like R10. This threatens to give you an even greater point lead. If black invades, you can attack severely and still live in the corner, and if he doesn't, you can reinforce and convert into points.

The problem is, rather than taking your lead into consideration you just followed him along. Even when he double hane'd, giving you an opportunity to completely destroy him, you kept following him along. By the time you woke up out of your dream, it was no doubt you were confused about when to tenuki.

So the moral of the story is, think more about your moves and how they can benefit you.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

*files everything oiseaux just said under holy poo poo I will never be good at this game*

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Pander posted:

*files everything oiseaux just said under holy poo poo I will never be good at this game*

Think like that, and you'll end up being those kgs players who have thousands of games yet remain at 15-18k. :ohdear:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Kheldragar posted:

Think like that, and you'll end up being those kgs players who have thousands of games yet remain at 15-18k. :ohdear:

Better than thousands of games and still at 30k, which is pretty much the trajectory my training is taking me!

The live game with uranus was plenty fun. I just get annoyed because I think I have a decent strategic mind for "where am I strong, where is he strong, where are we weak, where should I generally go", but the tactics of cordoning off groups, LoD, responding to invasions? I am absolute poo poo at those tactical skirmishes so far unless I'm given so much time I can try planning for EVERY local possibility.

In the live game, Uranus just ate me alive because I could never effectively control what I thought I had controlled.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
You need to have some idea how the local areas will resolve 'tactically' before you can make any strategic decision. You can have a poo poo ton of stones somewhere but if its bad shape it won't matter at all. Your kind of thinking will piss you off when players invade your bad shape easily even though you thought it was secure.

I was literally 30k on KGS for 6 months before being bumped to 29k when I started, playing many times a week. Just go for it and forget about being the best right now.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Pander posted:

I can't even say a Dan would agree with what I wrote. I can only say what I think, and that's come about mostly by playing games, lots of games. I do not study hard at this game and I don't play every day so don't think that you have to be some kind of hardcore raider to get to grips with this. Keep playing, read some books, keep doing problems now and then and you'll get there :)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I don't get problems very well if they're more than one move. Like if it's "black to move" I'll place something, and then people here seem to know what to put for white but I don't.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander posted:

I don't get problems very well if they're more than one move. Like if it's "black to move" I'll place something, and then people here seem to know what to put for white but I don't.

Do easier problems, then. The idea is that you're supposed to find the line that works regardless of what the other person does. When we show moves for White (assuming the problem is Black to play) we're just showing the line that's most interesting/hardest to read out.

If you find yourself unable to visualize all the possible responses to your move, then you're probably just doing too hard a problem.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

You need to have some idea how the local areas will resolve 'tactically' before you can make any strategic decision. You can have a poo poo ton of stones somewhere but if its bad shape it won't matter at all. Your kind of thinking will piss you off when players invade your bad shape easily even though you thought it was secure.

I was literally 30k on KGS for 6 months before being bumped to 29k when I started, playing many times a week. Just go for it and forget about being the best right now.

:psyduck: How do you stay 30k on kgs for 6 months? (I haven't even been here 6 months and I'm at 14k right now) At 30k level, it's almost entirely "Play one game, gain one stone.", especially if you have people in ITGO leading you. Besides, aren't basicbot and idiotbot (Who have 25k/30k ranks) easy as hell to beat so you can get to ~20k without actually knowing how to play well? I jumped straight to 21k before I started grinding my way up one rank at a time.

Fake edit: If "when I started" means that you had a 30k kgs account inactive for 6 months then started playing, ignore the above.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I beat Oiseaux in a 0.5 komi game by 0.5 points! :smug:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Kheldragar posted:

You care way too much about winning and ranking. It seems to go a bit beyond just "self-improvement" and kinda moves into epeen waving.

Just enjoy the games maybe?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Kheldragar posted:

Pander, nah he got me good. It was seriously close. Engineerdingly close. We should upload the SGF to see where I went wrong.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Nah he got me good. We should upload the SGF to see where I went wrong.

http://eidogo.com/#3RPlhwmTr

W204 was clearly the losing move, but besides that I have nothing to add.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

God no, hah, the losing move was around move 79, where i failed to read out the situation and died. It's tough when you play drunk because you want to be all Las Vegas and poo poo and you end up in a war of large territories. So the real mistake is actually move 52 where I attach with N15. The whole facade crumbles from there on. Schoolboy.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Actually, W6, W26, W28 and W36 are all game-losing moves. Every time you allow Black to hane at the head of two like that you're committing a blunder on the order of 15 points or so.

xopods fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 8, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

This is how we end up at Kajiwara's "move 2 lost the game"

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

xopods posted:

Actually, W6, W26, W28 and W36 are all game-losing moves. Every time you allow Black to hane at the head of two like that you're committing a blunder on the order of 15 points or so.

Black hadn't hane'd at move 5 though, had he? What would have been the proper response to the constant black invasions at 3-3?

Also: Apologies to khel. I just feel there'd been a bunch of posts about rankings and how important it was to get them. Annoyed me kinda.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Pander posted:

Black hadn't hane'd at move 5 though, had he? What would have been the proper response to the constant black invasions at 3-3?

Also: Apologies to khel. I just feel there'd been a bunch of posts about rankings and how important it was to get them. Annoyed me kinda.

No, it's fine.

The reason that I didn't hane was because it was still, locally, white's turn to move if you're JUST following the joseki. My plan was to see how well playing tengen, invading all the 3-3's, and then trying to live in the centre so white gets little would turn out. That's why I waited for white to respond in all of the corners. That's why I have B23.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kheldragar posted:

:psyduck: How do you stay 30k on kgs for 6 months? (I haven't even been here 6 months and I'm at 14k right now) At 30k level, it's almost entirely "Play one game, gain one stone.", especially if you have people in ITGO leading you. Besides, aren't basicbot and idiotbot (Who have 25k/30k ranks) easy as hell to beat so you can get to ~20k without actually knowing how to play well? I jumped straight to 21k before I started grinding my way up one rank at a time.

Fake edit: If "when I started" means that you had a 30k kgs account inactive for 6 months then started playing, ignore the above.

Ok, for one months, but it felt like 6 months. Back then though the server had tons of 30k players on it.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Kheldragar posted:

No, it's fine.

The reason that I didn't hane was because it was still, locally, white's turn to move if you're JUST following the joseki. My plan was to see how well playing tengen, invading all the 3-3's, and then trying to live in the centre so white gets little would turn out. That's why I waited for white to respond in all of the corners. That's why I have B23.
i think your plan was to imitate the latest battousai video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJvE7vHX0k

Svartvit fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 8, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Svartvit posted:

i think your plan was to imitate the latest battousai video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJvE7vHX0k

I was watching that video at the time; yes.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
:rip: my 15 or something winning streak

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander posted:

Just finish the drat joseki. White didn't want to do it because he didn't want to end in gote, but the fact is that the direct 3-3 invasion joseki ends up favoring White pretty heavily in an empty board, so he should be happy if that's what B wants to do. SDKs tend to feel like thickness is wasted if they can't immediately use it to build a moyo, but that's not the only function of thickness.

Anyway, if you feel you absolutely must end in sente, there's always the double hane variation of the joseki. I don't actually recommend this, I would just play the regular version and take the wall, but I've included the double hane version twice to show what you can do if Black absolutely insists on playing every 3-3 invasion immediately and you insist on making a moyo right from the start:

http://eidogo.com/#2oUIh0Ccp:0,0

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i just beat someone ranked 12k in a 9x9 with no handicap by 1.5 points. :O does this mean i am good now?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

If you're not a 7d, you're poo poo. :colbert:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
http://gogameguru.com/man-machine-match-final-results-game-commentary

Interesting commentary on Zen19 on $4000 computer vs. 2-dan amateur, written with kyū readers in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
went to the go center today and met nick sibicky. he played some new go ai on his phone and had the class help pick the moves. we lost. then he played again real quickly cause his battery was dying and lost again. he said he wasnt going to upload that class to youtube.