Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berryblood
Sep 12, 2009

Tell her you can't as you're busy with other projects then. If this doesn't stop her, then got with stupid hat pricing time. Might as well turn a profit if she wants them that badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
I have friends who try to rope me into knitting Harry Potter scarves for them for free, cause a 7' scarf just knits itself apparently. I usually quote them a price I think they won't want to pay, or tell them I'm not really taking commissions right now and I'll let them know when I start taking them again. Then never get in touch.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I tell them I don't have the time to do another project. If that doesn't satisfy them, I tell them my commission rates for knitting and watch them very quickly realize they don't actually want to spend that much. Something about base price of yarn for the entire project plus another five cents a yard adds up quickly.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

FelicityGS posted:

I tell them I don't have the time to do another project. If that doesn't satisfy them, I tell them my commission rates for knitting and watch them very quickly realize they don't actually want to spend that much. Something about base price of yarn for the entire project plus another five cents a yard adds up quickly.

This, basically. My "labor charge" is not cheap. Most non-crafters don't realize the amount of time and work it takes to make something. I had a coworker demand a small cowl from me, and when I politely declined and told her how much she would be paying, she got all huffy and puffy like ugh I would only pay $5 for that MCN cowl you're wearing.

I don't think it helps us when knitters take their wares to a farmers market or craft fair and only ask for a pittance of what the item is actually worth.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
"Hey, thanks so much, I'm so glad you like her hat! Unfortunately I don't do commissions, I just have too much on my plate. Have you seen the cute hats on [some etsy site] though? That turtle one is great!"

You don't have to be p-a or just a. She probably means well, but it's perfectly okay to say no and nice to give her another option.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
Thanks for all the advice! What makes it worse is that I'm like, "Hey, you should learn to knit cause it's really fun!" and I get the "oh, I just don't have time, what with being a stay-at-home mom". (not that I'm dissing moms who stay home) However, I have an issue with it when I see them on FB all day sending out poo poo for Farmville or Candy Crush.

I'm gonna try the "I have too much on my plate, but if I didn't here's how much it would cost you". And yes, I think that non-craft people don't seem to realize that hand-made stuff is really more expensive than the churned-out-made-in-china stuff they can just buy at the mall.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
My son's school has no art program because there isn't any money for it. We're relying on parents to come in and volunteer their time to do small units on art. I volunteered to do a knitting unit to any 3rd, 4th or 5th grade classes that are interested, coupled with starting an after school knitting group once a week for any kids interested in continuing after their class finishes their unit. So far, I've been in 3 classrooms and worked with 80 kids - some are getting it and some not so much, but that's cool - not everyone has to like everything. This past Thursday was the first meeting of the knitting club. I was figuring that out of the 80 who had tried it in class, we'd get maybe 10 kids, right? THIRTY kids showed up, including 5 who haven't even had me in their classroom yet. We were also joined by a teacher and a non-English speaking parent who learned in about 5 minutes of watching me even with the language barrier. It's completely crazy, but it's also amazing to be there and witness that moment when a kid suddenly goes "OHHH!!!! I GET IT! LOOK, I AM DOING IT!"

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
That is so cool! :)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Fionnoula posted:

My son's school has no art program because there isn't any money for it. We're relying on parents to come in and volunteer their time to do small units on art. I volunteered to do a knitting unit to any 3rd, 4th or 5th grade classes that are interested, coupled with starting an after school knitting group once a week for any kids interested in continuing after their class finishes their unit. So far, I've been in 3 classrooms and worked with 80 kids - some are getting it and some not so much, but that's cool - not everyone has to like everything. This past Thursday was the first meeting of the knitting club. I was figuring that out of the 80 who had tried it in class, we'd get maybe 10 kids, right? THIRTY kids showed up, including 5 who haven't even had me in their classroom yet. We were also joined by a teacher and a non-English speaking parent who learned in about 5 minutes of watching me even with the language barrier. It's completely crazy, but it's also amazing to be there and witness that moment when a kid suddenly goes "OHHH!!!! I GET IT! LOOK, I AM DOING IT!"

Ah that's so great :3: I love when kids really get into it; I taught an ex-boyfriend's 6 year old cousin and his aunt still gets in touch with me to show me what she's knitting now.

You are doing great work, I wish I had time to do something similar.

ackapoo posted:

I don't think it helps us when knitters take their wares to a farmers market or craft fair and only ask for a pittance of what the item is actually worth.

Thiiiiiis. I get really annoyed when I'm at the farmers market and notice a knitting stall selling everything for super duper cheap. I just want to ask why they're doing that to themselves, because I know it takes time to knit it. At least all the handspun sellers tend to mark according to what I'd expect, but I suppose they all also tend to be selling produce/eggs at the same time, so it's a little different.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Etsy doesn't help our cause either. For a while I was selling scarves on there, I had someone try to talk me down on my price. "I can get it cheaper from this person, why are yours more expensive?" I go look at the person they said they could buy it from, they were using cheap yarn and were garter stitch where as mine were in the round. So I explained why mine was more expensive. They said "well I like yours better, but I won't pay what you're asking. I'll give you what they're charging though."

Needless to say there was no sale.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Ugh, yes. I'm very very fortunate to have built up a local customer base by word of mouth, because I just hated selling on Etsy/at tables. It didn't happen on purpose, just worked out really well--some non-knitting friends commissioned things or were given Christmas gifts. They all wear them frequently and when asked, give out contact info, and it just kind of kept going. I don't do a lot (certainly not enough to quit my day job) but it gives me something to do with all the knitting I do just because I enjoy knitting, pays for things I'd like to make myself, and the people who are contacting me already know that it's not going to be cheap like what you can get at the store.

Cuts way down on the back and forth about 'why is it so expensive this person does it for this'. I mean, I'm willing to do things to make it easier for people (and have an admitted discount for friends who I really like and often find interesting projects they want done), but this stuff takes a lot of time and money and attention. Sheesh.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
So I finally started getting a tube shaped sock going with worsted yarn and bigger needles! Thanks for having faith in me, little old English ladies. :)

... the downside is, once I got past the k2, p2 ribbing and did stockinette stitch ... it looks less like stockinette and more like stockinette a little with lots of random stitches. I'm knitting in the round on DPNs (or trying).

Is there anything I need to know? Because it looks really weird and lumpy...

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Pic?

There's a few different things that I think could be happening, but hard to figure without seeing it.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Aerofallosov posted:

So I finally started getting a tube shaped sock going with worsted yarn and bigger needles! Thanks for having faith in me, little old English ladies. :)

... the downside is, once I got past the k2, p2 ribbing and did stockinette stitch ... it looks less like stockinette and more like stockinette a little with lots of random stitches. I'm knitting in the round on DPNs (or trying).

Is there anything I need to know? Because it looks really weird and lumpy...

Are you knitting knit stitch only? knitting in the round is one sided, so stockinette is knit only, garter is knit then purl. It's caught me out a bunch when I started making gloves/socks. Other than that it could be stuff like accidentally changing direction (easy to do if you accidentally invert the whole thing).

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
Or just accidentally forgetting you aren't ribbing anymore and tossing random purl stitches in when you're not paying attention.

I've been knitting for 12 years, and I still do this after a long stretch of ribbing. I can't even count the number of stitches I've dropped and picked up in order to correct a random purl stitch.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Antinumeric posted:

Are you knitting knit stitch only? knitting in the round is one sided, so stockinette is knit only, garter is knit then purl. It's caught me out a bunch when I started making gloves/socks. Other than that it could be stuff like accidentally changing direction (easy to do if you accidentally invert the whole thing).

... oh. This is it. I was knit, purl, knit, purling. I forgot that knitting in the round is one sided. Well, the more you learn.

Thanks, guys. And yeah, next time I'll throw in a picture.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 3, 2014

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

A friend was just asking me about Denise interchangeables... Any good? Should I warn her off?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
They're okay if you're on a budget, but you can't do magic loop with them and the connectors are weak. I mostly use mine for flat knitting. They're better than buying a full set of needles individually, but if you have the money you should definitely get something better.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

Thanks. I'll pass it along. I'd never worked with them so I simply suggested the ones I knew about.

Thanks again.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

So the hiya hiya interchangeable steel needles (small) my mother said she'd get me for Christmas/birthday (as mine are right next to each other)?

My mother finally ordered them.

(This means I can finally finish my mother's birthday shawl I've been holding hostage)

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Killer_Frost posted:

A friend was just asking me about Denise interchangeables... Any good? Should I warn her off?

My first set of interchangeable circulars were Denise, and I got rid of them as soon as I could afford better. For me, it was am issue that the plastic was too soft and would easily get scratches and nicks, which would snag and split my yarn. I now use chiao goo red lace (metal) and knitters pride dreamz (wood), and they are both great.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

FelicityGS posted:

So the hiya hiya interchangeable steel needles (small) my mother said she'd get me for Christmas/birthday (as mine are right next to each other)?

My mother finally ordered them.

(This means I can finally finish my mother's birthday shawl I've been holding hostage)

Speaking of Hiya Hiya needles, I'm coveting the steel interchangeables. How much of a difference is there between the regular tips and the sharp tips? Anyone know? I don't do much intricate work. At least not right now, but it's always nice to have the option.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I have the sharps but I am a ridiculous person obsessed with sharp points; I even bought the large sizes in sharp.

This lady shows the difference though it's a little bit blurry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8oMZMuV2fQ

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

a friendly penguin posted:

Speaking of Hiya Hiya needles, I'm coveting the steel interchangeables. How much of a difference is there between the regular tips and the sharp tips? Anyone know? I don't do much intricate work. At least not right now, but it's always nice to have the option.

I went with the sharps because when testing out the noninterchangeable needles, I found I liked the sharps more for lace--it was/is easier for me to grab the stitches I needed. The non-sharps worked alright, but it's just a totally different feel when I'm working with silk blends.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

I have regular tips in bamboo and sharps in metal.

The regulars are probably a little too blunt for me, while the sharps are a little too sharp for me. I still use them both a LOT. I do notice that I tend to split yarns, no matter what needle tip I use. I do love the sharps though and find myself reaching for them more (also because they're metal so I knit faster).

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

I haven't tried the regular tips but the sharps are my favorite needles I've ever used. Also, the cords in the interchangeable kit are great! Swivel cords are genius.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I gave away all my good yarn. It went to a great home, and I'm getting several lovely pieces of knitwear out of it, but now that it's gone I miss my stash. I don't even knit very often or ever finish a project. I have exactly one finished knitting project since I started knitting, and it's a cowl with malabrigo rasta, which hardly even counts, it's such a quick knit.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Knit picks is discontinuing the self striping felici line...tragedy. I may have just bought six pairs of socks worth (for $50, which is insanity). Why is knit picks making such weird business choices lately? :negative:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

They're discontinuing the whole line entirely? I know they did sport, but it seems weird to let the sock line go too; lots of people like self striping yarn for socks. Maybe they're just doing a new line of colours at once?

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Apologies for the cat rear end, but I'm really excited to have finally finished this blanket. I've been working on it on and off since late October and I'm thrilled that it didn't end up in the "will finish someday" pile like it seemed like it would for a bit. I forget the name of the pattern, but it's a KnitPicks kit and I don't think they have them anymore.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Pucklynn posted:

Apologies for the cat rear end, but I'm really excited to have finally finished this blanket. I've been working on it on and off since late October and I'm thrilled that it didn't end up in the "will finish someday" pile like it seemed like it would for a bit. I forget the name of the pattern, but it's a KnitPicks kit and I don't think they have them anymore.

Oh, I love mitered squares! (And so does your cat.)

Should be pretty easy to replicate, based on that photo, even if KnitPicks has pulled the actual pattern.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Pucklynn posted:

That is absolutely gorgeous. And the color scheme matches the cat!

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Yeah, the pattern was really easy. The only detail you can't get from the picture is exactly how big to make the squares but you can just make them whatever size you want. I didn't notice, but the cat really does match parts of the blanket. She will be pleased.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

FelicityGS posted:

They're discontinuing the whole line entirely? I know they did sport, but it seems weird to let the sock line go too; lots of people like self striping yarn for socks. Maybe they're just doing a new line of colours at once?

Yeah, they are discontinuing the whole line, which is a huge bummer. They put up a statement on their facebook, as well as a statement in the big rav group for knitpicks (Knitpicks Lovers). People in that group are losing their collective minds, which is not surprising giving the makeup of that specific community...

Self-striping yarn is huge right now in indie yarns, but they say that sales of felici in sport and fingering have been dropping for the last 4 years so they are just going to cut it. I really think that if they would have gotten better colors for spring, they would have made BANK. I don't want to spend $25+ every time I want to do some self-striping socks - I'm glad to splurge every once in a while, but liked having a fallback.

Also that blanket is loving amazing!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Knitpicks is a really different company than it used to be. The original owner, who was actually a knitter, handed it over to her son. Prices went up, production moved to China, quality plummeted. That's without even getting into their appallingly terrible handling of their huge security breach. I think a lot of people are still boycotting over that. So I'm completely unsurprised that the business is suffering and the guy is making another dumbass decision.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That is a huge shame. I like the Kroy self striping, but it's not really the same at all as the just solid colours the KnitPicks line did, and yeah, I wouldn't want to spend that much for every time I want self-striping socks.

The security breach is a huge reason I haven't bought from there, and made sure to steer my mother clear of it round Christmas. She likes to buy me knitting things, but KnitPicks didn't communicate what had happened and since my mother isn't anywhere near the knitting community, she wouldn't have known unless I did. I don't want that to happen if she buys me a gift or something without telling me.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

It would have helped if the Felici self striping yarns had more than, like, nine colors. I never bought it because I never liked any of the colors they chose except a few more limited runs.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I have some Felici still in my stash but that was from back when the colors were decent. I agree that if they had put up some stuff other than what looks like holiday theme colors it probably would've helped them. 5 of the 9 color ways available are Christmas, Valentine's, or St. Patrick's day colors to me. The 4 left are just not to my taste.

Edit: I suppose Jellybean is essentially Easter. So only 3 left that aren't holidayish

Peppercat fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 8, 2014

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Colors have definitely been a bit underwhelming for the last few cycles. I picked up the ones that appealed to me most, figuring I'll probably give them as gifts and other people are less persnickity about colors than I am. Striped socks always fly for me, so they are good for gifts anyway. I've been trying to find some good striping yarn in regia/patons/etc lines, but haven't had a ton of luck yet. I usually use my fancy yarn budget on kettle dyes or multis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

I honestly didn't think that was knitted at first, that's gorgeous. Well done!