Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zack says there will be awesome junk-world parkouring later on by Max and Timesnake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Zack says there will be awesome junk-world parkouring later on by Max and Timesnake.

I'm really looking forward to this. Zack's really drat clever in his fight scenes. I'd never think of having the light power guy using the glowy eye thing as ammo for his power. I was really confused about that panel until it hit me what he just did.

Also his name is Scrapdragon now not timesnake.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
If Forge's powers consist of being able to make weapons out of random bits of metal I desperately want him to possess Max for that magnetism/weapon synergy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brannock posted:

Lucifer being revealed puts the "caged boid" line here in relief: http://paranatural.net/index.php?id=168

Topic of that, it's only a couple pages before that that we got our first glimpse of Lucifer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have to say, a spirit choosing the name 'Lucifer' strikes a warning bell. (I know, morning star, light, but still)

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Maybe he had the name first.:colbert:

The very next page you get a glimpse of mister tentacles.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It means "bringer of light" which can also be translated "phosphorus."

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

I have to say, a spirit choosing the name 'Lucifer' strikes a warning bell. (I know, morning star, light, but still)

I agree, but perhaps not necessarily for the reasons you're thinking of. What was Archangel Lucifer's sin that led to his downfall? Pride. What does Spender show an excess of..?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Brannock posted:

I agree, but perhaps not necessarily for the reasons you're thinking of. What was Archangel Lucifer's sin that led to his downfall? Pride. What does Spender show an excess of..?

Being a dork? How does that relate to Lucifer's downfall due to his pride?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Lucifer talking about how Spender not worrying would make his (Lucifer's) job easier, I wonder if Spender's emotional state influences the strength of each spirit, or maybe just the tentacled one.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

MikeJF posted:

Well the alt text is 'oh hey satan'.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Do actual gods exist in Paranatural? Or rather, is there a distinction between "really strong spirit" and "god"?

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

AnonSpore posted:

Do actual gods exist in Paranatural? Or rather, is there a distinction between "really strong spirit" and "god"?

I hope it never goes there, but it is an anime after all.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah Zack covered it in comments and such. When a Spectral does his spirit fusion, he goes into his weird slowed down time headspace, but he still moves and acts in the real world, superhumanly fast. All the stuff that appears in the spirit-zone are also 100% real to the spectral. When Issac entered his and there was a huge hole in the wall he could've literally just walked straight out the building.

So basically Accel World? I can dig that.

And the possibility of Manvil getting defeated increases. :ohdear:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Countblanc posted:

Lucifer talking about how Spender not worrying would make his (Lucifer's) job easier, I wonder if Spender's emotional state influences the strength of each spirit, or maybe just the tentacled one.

I think he just means "if you stop worrying about it I won't have to actually do it any more, and also you will probably get killed and I will literally not have to deal with your stupid bullshit anymore."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Lucifer, lest we all forget, is "light-bringing" in Latin and usually associated with the terms "Morningstar" and "Light-bearer" (which is just different enough to warrant its own mention, I feel). So, apt. Pleeenty of themes to work with here.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Brannock posted:

Spender just -ully and rightfully shows excess of standing up against the tyrant that is God and wanted to overthrow him to create a world of true freedom?

You need to read your Milton, son. Lucifer's the good guy.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 8, 2014

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Remember that The Strongest Spirit Spender killed?

It was God Himself. And now He is trapped within Spender with the help of Lucifer. Boom, comics plot solved like a bullshit language.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It was God Himself. And now He is trapped within Spender with the help of Lucifer. Boom, comics plot solved like a bullshit language.

This would be the most anime storyline ever (I would watch it but I would feel ashamed of myself)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I think imagining all the ways Spender and Isaac could be anime is one of the great joys of reading this comic.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whitenoise Poster posted:

God is a spirit of darkness? It just keeps getting more and more Shin Megami Tensei in this line of reasoning.

Edit: For those unfamiliar, SMT is a game series about summoning demons (in the old sense, so things like fairies and even angels are included), and in the early games you would literally storm heaven and kill YHVH, i.e. God. Depending on your route you could have Lucifer at your side as you did it. Later games God still shows up as a bonus boss from time to time but, possibly because the games have caught on somewhat in America and such, they've moved away from the literally-killing-God plot for the more recent games. Lucifer's still hanging around though. You can usually side with him if you want.

Needless to say, these games are awesome.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 8, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think anime has a monopoly on killing God.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Calaveron posted:

If Forge's powers consist of being able to make weapons out of random bits of metal I desperately want him to possess Max for that magnetism/weapon synergy.

Gray spectral energy.
I wonder if spectral energy color is more like a spectrum (there's a pun here somewhere) or hard-coded categories. Gray isn't too different from black.

... I really doubt Forge would get along with Magnet Snake though. (I really wish we knew that thing's name.)

Brought To You By posted:

So basically Accel World? I can dig that.

And the possibility of Manvil getting defeated increases. :ohdear:

Well, if Forge is defeated he's more likely to stick around as a character :allears:
Or be definitively gone forever.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Tollymain posted:

Gray spectral energy.
I wonder if spectral energy color is more like a spectrum (there's a pun here somewhere) or hard-coded categories. Gray isn't too different from black.

... I really doubt Forge would get along with Magnet Snake though. (I really wish we knew that thing's name.)

Well, apparently if a spirit possesses a person who isn't a spectral at all it turns them into a spectral of the right colour, so any non-current spectral is up for grabs for Forge.

Things I'm pondering about : It seems a little off to me that the evil darkness spirit within Spender's brain would also just so happen to have yellow spectral energy. Also, aside from Spender (who seems to be a dark medium and a sunglasses tool user,) it seems like there are a bunch of mediums associated with the Cousinhood. Why is Issac in particular being kept in the dark then? Something about his spirit in particular I'd assume.

It springs to mind that if Lucifer is the one who is keeping the Darkness locked in Spender's head, assuming Lucifer is in the Sunglasses and the Darkness is a possession, it means that he literally can't take off his sunglasses. :allears:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Well, apparently if a spirit possesses a person who isn't a spectral at all it turns them into a spectral of the right colour, so any non-current spectral is up for grabs for Forge.

Things I'm pondering about : It seems a little off to me that the evil darkness spirit within Spender's brain would also just so happen to have yellow spectral energy. Also, aside from Spender (who seems to be a dark medium and a sunglasses tool user,) it seems like there are a bunch of mediums associated with the Cousinhood. Why is Issac in particular being kept in the dark then? Something about his spirit in particular I'd assume.

It springs to mind that if Lucifer is the one who is keeping the Darkness locked in Spender's head, assuming Lucifer is in the Sunglasses and the Darkness is a possession, it means that he literally can't take off his sunglasses. :allears:

It'd be really loving anime if we only got to see his eyes just before he dies.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Gray spectral energy.

I think I remember Zack saying in the comments somewhere that it is a spectrum. Forge's gray seems a bit light for Max, but who knows.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Prison Warden posted:

Calling it now. There'll be a scene somewhere in the future where spender's light powers are not good enough to beat whatever foe, and he'll say something like "I was hoping I'd never have to do this...", then he takes off his glasses, we see his eyes, and then darkness envelopes everything in the most anime--dork-badass way possible.

Also, calling it now. Johnny will catch up the Spender right as he defeats Forge and get possessed with the power to manipulate metal.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Countblanc posted:

I think that's more just a polite way of Lucifer saying that if Spender gets himself killed he doesn't have to worry about keeping said spirit in check anymore.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

big sperma shot posted:

So while they're talking to their spirit and time is slowed down, they can still act on the outside world (and that's fusion)? I was under the impression that they were just sucked into their own mind

A reminder.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's why Spender is always pushing his glasses onto his face. If they fall off something really bad will happen. He should really get a strap for those.

Also it's interesting to note that Isabel's grandfather is master of a martial art that apparently doesn't work on tough spirits.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's why Spender is always pushing his glasses onto his face. If they fall off something really bad will happen. He should really get a strap for those.

Also it's interesting to note that Isabel's grandfather is master of a martial art that apparently doesn't work on tough spirits.

Maybe Spender's just not strong enough in his spirit kung fu? We can't really say it doesn't work until we see Isabel's grandpa try it and fail. He did go and destroy that target, which you'd assume a spectral isn't supposed to be able to do.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
Via tumblr:

Also, Lucifer's speech bubbles have some letters that are in upper-case and bolded. Is this a reflection of how he talks, or is there some more mystery language shenanigans?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Nick_326 posted:

Also, Lucifer's speech bubbles have some letters that are in upper-case and bolded. Is this a reflection of how he talks, or is there some more mystery language shenanigans?

It's meant to represent flickering candlelight.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prison Warden posted:

Isaac is a kid with a spirit Spender had to destroy at some point (unless there's another storm god somewhere in Mayview), so, yeah. All the possessed Activity Consortium people we've seen have at least seemed to have their spirits under control, and also are adults. Isaac doesn't even have his own temper under control, and his spirit hates, among other things (everything), Spender in particular.

It's basically the same reason why they don't care about Isabel carrying her book everywhere but Spender knocked away Max's backpack before he dropped anything especially important; Eightfold is not only weak, but docile if not outright helpful, while the garbagesnake is an unknown quantity. Except in Isaac's case they (probably) know the storm god is bad news, because Spender already killed it once.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Which raises the question of what they're going to do when the storm god regenerates and reforms (this seems like a really good way for spectrals to die if they don't have a good relationship with their symbiotic spirit).

The cynical answer is "keep killing it and have Isaac or some other agent continue using its powers for eternity."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They can either proper destroy the storm god, or they can force it into a punching bag.

Nick_326 posted:

There's also little lens flares in his speech bubbles.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rand Brittain posted:

Which raises the question of what they're going to do when the storm god regenerates and reforms (this seems like a really good way for spectrals to die if they don't have a good relationship with their symbiotic spirit).

The cynical answer is "keep killing it and have Isaac or some other agent continue using its powers for eternity."

Of course, the issue there is if the spirit decides to revolt, they could pretty easily kill the spectral they're possessing while the spectral's entranced. Hell, that's probably why Lucifer has the tentacle monster behind bars, to prevent it from doing anything to Spender.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hell, that's probably why Lucifer has the tentacle monster behind bars, to prevent it from doing anything to Spender.
It tempts him with dark thoughts, such as "Look before you leap" and "Consider the consequences of your actions".

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still hard to tell exactly what the nature of Spender's shadow-manipulation power is. Cool trick though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Tollymain posted:

Still hard to tell exactly what the nature of Spender's shadow-manipulation power is. Cool trick though.

Probably a hit at spectral-parties. Who needs disco lights when you got a guy to do it for you?