Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

WickedHate posted:

Everyone ending up as Cronenbergs isn't that bad if you are originally from a world where everyone was already Cronenberged.

Eh, maybe. You're still probably going to wish you were from a world where everyone was originally Cronenberged, instead of getting turned into a bunch of Cronenbergs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I may be in the minority here, but I'm really not into the parents "will she/won't she" Mom leaving the Dad for being boring schtick. I think the show would be stronger if it stayed with Rick & Morty more. I've watched all of the episodes multiple times and in every episode, on the re-watch specificlaly, I prefer to skip past the Mom/Dad/Summer stuff (other than the dog episode & the Dad's Appley) for the Rick & Morty storyline. I'd like a 90/10 split. It seems everyone is in love with the Meseeks but I found them irritating after the first watch of the episode.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ariza posted:

the Dad's Appley

That subplot(and it's pay off at the end) was the best part of the episode, honestly.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

WickedHate posted:

That subplot(and it's pay off at the end) was the best part of the episode, honestly.

My man!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Not to mention it allowed for that brilliant scene with the aliens all blaming different departments for the screw up.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Max22 posted:

My man!

Yes, thank you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Not to mention it allowed for that brilliant scene with the aliens all blaming different departments for the screw up.
Oh, so I guess that this is no one's fault, then! No problem.

Except for the fact that there is still another human in the simulation!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Shadeoses posted:

Yes, thank you.

*snaps fingers* YES!

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Max22 posted:

My man!

I have found myself mentally saying that whenever I see a mailman of color.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Ariza posted:

I may be in the minority here, but I'm really not into the parents "will she/won't she" Mom leaving the Dad for being boring schtick. I think the show would be stronger if it stayed with Rick & Morty more. I've watched all of the episodes multiple times and in every episode, on the re-watch specificlaly, I prefer to skip past the Mom/Dad/Summer stuff (other than the dog episode & the Dad's Appley) for the Rick & Morty storyline. I'd like a 90/10 split. It seems everyone is in love with the Meseeks but I found them irritating after the first watch of the episode.

I agree with you except for the Meseeks. Rick and Morty absolutely deserve the majority of screentime but that particular plot gave me some hope that they can come up with good stuff for the rest of the family. I mean, I'll be irritated if next season keeps up with Rick's dad being a pathetic beta male as his only trait, but it seems like a smart enough show to change or evolve character dynamics as they figure out what does and doesn't work. We'll see I guess!

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
I feel that as the show is an attempt to take "wouldn't it be cool if..." science to absurd and horrifying ends, the existence of a sort of mundane family really works as a foil to the insanity. Normal people shouldn't have a hand in or be around that variety of super science, and having what is essentially an average American family around to suffer through and cause havoc is essential to the formula of the show, at least at this point.

Having growth or change to their dynamic would be interesting, but honestly only if either the overarching plot demands it or if the dynamic grows overly stale.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ariza posted:

I may be in the minority here, but I'm really not into the parents "will she/won't she" Mom leaving the Dad for being boring schtick.

It has its moments, mostly when Rick gets involved.

edit: some more

I put this together if someone wants it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 5, 2014

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

New episode Next week, Also Here are some cool color design sketches made by James Mcdermott, who is the Art director for Rick and Morty.

quote:

James Writes

The top 5 are quick rough concept sketches providing a starting off point for the design and color palette to get the mood of a sequence and get the conversation started. The top one is my favorite, the ending to the Love potion #9 episode in what looks like a hopeless post apocalyptic world. The next one was for Anatomy Park, a first attempt at the haunted liver, the stringy meatball looking monster was the start to what became of the tuberculosis character. The spaceship rough was started on the shape of a dumbell and ended up being the final ship design. The Rick and Morty cronenbergs were so fun to make and were some of the first couple to be nailed down. We figured out early on that it would be intriguing if the cronenbergs were an amalgamation of various elements, i.e. what would your grandmother mixed with a baby and an alley cat look like, possibilities are endless, some of the seasons best characters were generated for that episode based on that idea. Next are some quick initial roughs of Prince Nebulon played by David Cross, the one second to the left was the jumping off point for the final design.

http://jamesmcdermott2011.blogspot.com/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The doggie games have concluded. Return to your miserable distractions imperialists!

-Vlad Putin

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Finally! We're almost there. I think I may be more excited to see the next episode of Rick and Morty than I am to see the next episode of Hannibal.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
That's because Hannibal is a predictable, boring procedural. Hannibal kills someone, blames it on someone else and feeds the first guy to a third person. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Irish Joe posted:

Hannibal kills someone, blames it on someone else and feeds the first guy to a third person.

At least Rick never blames anyone else when he kills people, he just forgets about it immediately and moves on. :v:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
No, Jerry, I'm the one who SUCKS

Can do! I'm Mr. Meeseeks!

gently caress those people (didn't get the whole phrase while making it loopable...that'd take some work)

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 6, 2014

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
New preview, preview itself starts at 45 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB1IRw9pIb0

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

lovely Wizard posted:

New preview, preview itself starts at 45 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB1IRw9pIb0

That guy was Jason Boesch, my supervisor, He's the lead color designer. His job was basically to paint the really complex stuff that needed really specific and cool colors, and then match all the other colors that were coming in from the other artists to match the look and feel. He is pretty amazing.

Also I painted that pawn shop planet thing at 46 seconds.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I just wanna take a second to say I love animation and think it's super cool that some people who work on shows I love post here about it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I am trying very hard to not watch the preview. I want to be surprised.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Typical posted:

Also I painted that pawn shop planet thing at 46 seconds.

That's mad impressive.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Everytime I rewatch the scene or just think about Mr. Meeseeks saying "Oh he's trying!" I burst out laughing. The delivery of that line is the best. I'm going to end up crashing my car one day as I think about that line while watching someone fail at merging or aggressively trying to get around traffic and not making any progress.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Typical posted:

That guy was Jason Boesch, my supervisor

Why does he have a picture of Justin Roiland on his desk? Staring at him?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah I'm gonna wait on that

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ashpanash posted:

Why does he have a picture of Justin Roiland on his desk? Staring at him?

Why don't you?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

SwissCM posted:

Why don't you?

Because there's no way I'd measure up to that.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Rewatching the anatomy park episode now. Am I the only one bothered that the attack on the train was by E. coli represented as bacteriophages?

I think it's still my favorite episode though. puffy vagina

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Pretty drat sure I know where the episode is going after that, so yeah, I'd say the preview is spoilery if you can put 2 and 2 together. I could be wrong, but I hope not.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sex robot!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

Rewatching the anatomy park episode now. Am I the only one bothered that the attack on the train was by E. coli represented as bacteriophages?

Well that makes me the second-only-person to be bothered by that, at least. I was the only person watching that seemed at all upset back when it aired, and there was a drat nurse in the room.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Cacafuego posted:

I think it's still my favorite episode though. puffy vagina

That bothered me, too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I took it that the E. coli were wearing the bacteriophages like battle armour :pseudo:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I know mash up shirts are a bit lame, but I had fun making this. I sent it to QWERTEE, don't know if it will go up. But maybe you guys will get a kick out of it regardless.

It's a play on the Doctor Dreadful toy sets from the 90's.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 8, 2014

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
So I found this the other day while cruising through R&M clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsG-riwU7P4

I'm just dying at the spinning Meeseeks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pixelante posted:

Pretty drat sure I know where the episode is going after that, so yeah, I'd say the preview is spoilery if you can put 2 and 2 together. I could be wrong, but I hope not.

It's pretty clearly going to be hosed to all hell.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MONKET posted:

Why would anyone make this

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

CelticPredator posted:

I know mash up shirts are a bit lame, but I had fun making this. I sent it to QWERTEE, don't know if it will go up. But maybe you guys will get a kick out of it regardless.

It's a play on the Doctor Dreadful toy sets from the 90's.

Desktop wallpaper'd. I love it, I had one of those food labs when I was 6 or 7. Ah, the joys of being a kid and not worrying about what disgusting factory your foodlike substance was manufactured in!

JesusFists fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

MONKET posted:

What the literal gently caress did I just watch?

• Locked thread