Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

BizarroAzrael posted:

Should I be looking to move my Shocklands any time soon, or at least the ones I'm not using? I figure their price will dip at rotation as a lot come onto the market, but I don't know what will happen over time, when all these cards are only wanted for Modern.

No mention of Sorin, LoI, who I would think would be a headline card if he was in. Elspeth and Hero are good and welcome though. Guess it might have a Marsh Flats.

Don't forget about Bitterblossom. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

Bwwahaha. Bitchin'. Knight Errant and Hero of Bladehold were two of the only rares I've been looking to throw in my EDH deck.

That product has an MRSP of $70! :buddy:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

bhsman posted:

Jesus...Is the deck even worth that? I know the Elspeth is worth like $15 now.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

bhsman posted:

$75! :eng101:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Maybe wizards is intentionally not overadvertising the money rare(s)?

Yeah who am I kidding.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
WB tokens event deck means Scalding Tarn $200 by the deck's release.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Marsh Flats in there. It wouldn't exactly call out to be named in that deck description like the other cards.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
The advertising on the box is supposed to draw people in that didn't already know about it. The people that care about the price of marsh flats will not be the ones who will end up buying the product because of its description, and the people that might decide to buy it because of its description wouldn't care about a marsh flats because lands aren't the exciting part of a deck.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Most event decks have been fairly costed or slightly undercosted on the whole. So we should expect it to be in the right range of value, and possibly a great deal depending on how friendly they are feeling. Either bitterblossom or a fetch(I'm kind of hesitant because only one of five legal fetches getting extra push is kind of weird) would easily put it over. It mentions black disruption so a pair of thoughtseizes or so would kick it to about right as well.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
True Kabanaw. Is they guy able to crack the box? I'm curious about what numbers of the money cards they include. The blurb at the back mentions disruption. IoK or Thoughseize? 1 or 2 or 4 marsh flats, etc.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

True Kabanaw. Is they guy able to crack the box? I'm curious about what numbers of the money cards they include. The blurb at the back mentions disruption. IoK or Thoughseize? 1 or 2 or 4 marsh flats, etc.

He said he saw it at an event (probably Richmond) in a case.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Then again, there's this tweet with regards to the modern event deck.

That might just be a coverup who knows :tinfoil:

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Tharizdun posted:

Technically, Mistform Ultimus is a vanilla 3/3, and just has all 1200 creature types on its type line. For a practical application, Humility would make a creature with Changeling into a shapeshifter with no other types, while it wouldn't affect Mistform Ultimus other than giving it -2/-2.

That's wrong. Both abilities behave the same. Both Mistform Ultimus and Chameleon Colossus would be every creature type under the effect of Humility. Changeling, like Ultimus's ability, is a type-changing effect and is applied in layer 4 before ability-removing effects in layer 6.

The only difference is that changeling is a keyword ability, and there could be a card that said, "Destroy target creature with changeling."

Applebees fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 7, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ok so an interesting tech in Block Constructed Junk Reanimator decks going around that could maybe be used in the Std Junk deck, using Astral Cornucopia as a mana-fixer and ramper against mid-range decks.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So it is BW/White Weenie Tokens as we all guessed?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Alaan posted:

(I'm kind of hesitant because only one of five legal fetches getting extra push is kind of weird)

There's precedent. There have been (standard) event decks that had like a single fetch or shock.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Korak posted:

Ok so an interesting tech in Block Constructed Junk Reanimator decks going around that could maybe be used in the Std Junk deck, using Astral Cornucopia as a mana-fixer and ramper against mid-range decks.
So it is BW/White Weenie Tokens as we all guessed?

Yeah, there's not much else it could have been if you assumed it was going to be at least loosely based on a known tier-2 deck but wasn't going to have 4-ofs of a bunch of rares.

I wouldn't be surprised at 1-2 Inquistion of Kozilek and a single Marsh Flats being in there in addition to what's listed on the back.

Applebees posted:

That's wrong. Both abilities behave the same. Both Mistform Ultimus and Chameleon Colossus would be every creature type under the effect of Humility. Changeling, like Ultimus's ability, is a type-changing effect, and is applied in layer 4 before ability-removing effects in layer 6.

The only difference is that changeling is a keyword ability, and there could be a card that said, "Destroy target creature with changeling."

So with Humility out, a creature with Changeling would have every creature type but wouldn't have the Changeling ability? :stare:

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Entropic posted:

So with Humility out, a creature with Changeling would have every creature type but wouldn't have the Changeling ability? :stare:

That's correct.

Another weird thing is, if you notice, Mutavault doesn't gain changeling when you animate it. If it did, the changeling ability wouldn't do anything. It would gain changeling in layer 6, which would be too late for changeling's effect to apply. Mutavault would be a creature with changeling and no creature types.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Patrick Chapin is giving some kind of Modern deck building seminar thing right now and before going to a mini break he called the audience(150-250 people) in front of him "deranged." :lol:

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Excellent. I have a bunch of the components for B/ W tokens, it's. Deck I really want to build for modern, and this should fill it out very nicely.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Balon posted:

I'm playing the BG graveyard deck that's just on the fringes of being playable and I don't think it or reanimator are going to be a thing until JiN comes out. The BG God, BW God, and BG Scryland alone will mean big things for both decks. Sure we don't know what the enemy-colored Gods will do yet, but being able to fit it in to these decks means a LOT.

Honestly I think the BG deck is actually really solid, just very easily hated out. If no-one's playing graveyard hate, it beats up on top-tier decks really well. RG monsters struggles to deal with anything once it gets bigger than its own guys, and gets absolutely wrecked by Shadowborn Demon. Bestow laughs at mono-B Devotion. Supreme Verdict is probably only going to be a 1:1 against you. The only things that really give it trouble are mono-U Devotion (which can probably play a better tempo game), and Kiora.

It's probably too early to be picking things for block, but if JiN gives one more dredger (to replace Grisly Salvage), and no meaningful graveyard hate, it's probably going to be a block constructed deck to beat. Not overpowering (since you do lose Deathrite and Shadowborn Demon), but still really solid.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jabor posted:

Honestly I think the BG deck is actually really solid, just very easily hated out. If no-one's playing graveyard hate, it beats up on top-tier decks really well. RG monsters struggles to deal with anything once it gets bigger than its own guys, and gets absolutely wrecked by Shadowborn Demon. Bestow laughs at mono-B Devotion. Supreme Verdict is probably only going to be a 1:1 against you. The only things that really give it trouble are mono-U Devotion (which can probably play a better tempo game), and Kiora.

It's probably too early to be picking things for block, but if JiN gives one more dredger (to replace Grisly Salvage), and no meaningful graveyard hate, it's probably going to be a block constructed deck to beat. Not overpowering (since you do lose Deathrite and Shadowborn Demon), but still really solid.

Block version loses out on Jarad as well, which I've found to be an essential finisher in the deck. Throwing a jacked up Nemesis in an opponent's face is crazy good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Balon posted:

Block version loses out on Jarad as well, which I've found to be an essential finisher in the deck. Throwing a jacked up Nemesis in an opponent's face is crazy good.

I'm not even running Jarad at the moment (though I probably should be, once I figure out what to cut for it) - Herald of Torment is more-or-less sufficient to get you past chump blockers, and should keep doing the job fine in Block.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

netcat posted:

Consecrated Sphinx is the dumbest possible card in multiplayer

Come back when you've played in a game where two different players had one out, then you can talk about dumb.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Come back when you've played in a game where two different players had one out, then you can talk about dumb.

Consecrated Sphinx is the card that helps you find out exactly how many Clone effects your opponents are playing.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jabor posted:

I'm not even running Jarad at the moment (though I probably should be, once I figure out what to cut for it) - Herald of Torment is more-or-less sufficient to get you past chump blockers, and should keep doing the job fine in Block.

The combo of him self-reanimating and throwing other threats for reach make him an auto-include 2-of (I run a third in the board as well). Herald is fantastic but if you're stalled in the air as well (DD, Kiora, etc) Jarad ensures that you can Voltron up a threat and one-turn-win. Swing through/over (Troll/Herald) then fling for the win.

I played the deck at game day and Jarad won games for me multiple times.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

There's precedent. There have been (standard) event decks that had like a single fetch or shock.

Keyword being standard.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Balon posted:

The combo of him self-reanimating and throwing other threats for reach make him an auto-include 2-of (I run a third in the board as well). Herald is fantastic but if you're stalled in the air as well (DD, Kiora, etc) Jarad ensures that you can Voltron up a threat and one-turn-win. Swing through/over (Troll/Herald) then fling for the win.

I played the deck at game day and Jarad won games for me multiple times.

Would love to see a list

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

BizarroAzrael posted:

Should I be looking to move my Shocklands any time soon, or at least the ones I'm not using? I figure their price will dip at rotation as a lot come onto the market, but I don't know what will happen over time, when all these cards are only wanted for Modern.

Brainstorm brewery just talked about this this week. They seemed to think that values probably won't fall a ton because everyone is expecting value to fall, so people buying into the normal rotation sell-out will balance the price. Their precedent for this includes snapcaster and LOTV.

Personally, I'm probably going to get my playset of shocks by rotation, cost be damned, even for colors I have no present intention of playing. WotC is going to keep pushing modern, and as long as that happens, shocklands will trend up.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Jabor posted:

The issue is that if it sees much play at all, every green deck will bring in Scavenging Ooze, and then it will be terrible. You can deal with graveyard hate, but it's a lot harder to deal with maindeck graveyard hate that is also a huge creature that gains the opponent a ton of life. It might be a thing in Block if the BG God uses the graveyard in some way, but it's obviously too early to tell.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Sharzak posted:

Would love to see a list

For you my friend, let's take a look at the Brewhaus: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572508&pagenumber=74#post426689823

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Just got back from FNM. Went 3-2 and took 8th out of 25 people playing my own version of red deck wins. Pulled 2 Kiora's out of a booster box and a third out of one of the booster packs I won, along with the sweet Banisher Priest promo. All in all it was a good night :D

morning wood fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 8, 2014

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ahhh, I just bought everything to complete BW tokens lest week, minus Marsh flats. I did just spend about 70 to get an Elspeth, Auriok Champions, Heroes, And a few other cheap cards. At least my Elspeth is a kickin' rad German one.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Boxman posted:

Personally, I'm probably going to get my playset of shocks by rotation, cost be damned, even for colors I have no present intention of playing. WotC is going to keep pushing modern, and as long as that happens, shocklands will trend up.
If finances permit, I'm going to be doing the same as well. I have a playset of Steam Vents, and I'm thinking I'm going to grab Overgrown Tombs next, unless someone has another suggestion.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

GoutPatrol posted:

Ahhh, I just bought everything to complete BW tokens lest week, minus Marsh flats. I did just spend about 70 to get an Elspeth, Auriok Champions, Heroes, And a few other cheap cards. At least my Elspeth is a kickin' rad German one.

So would you say the Event deck would be a decent buy, especially if they have 1 Marsh Flats included? If so I'll buy another to finish my Flats playset.
EDIT: Also Heroes are great in this Italia deck I brewed up, the 4 toughness, token generation, and Battle Cry effect is so good.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Boxn posted:

So would you say the Event deck would be a decent buy, especially if they have 1 Marsh Flats included? If so I'll buy another to finish my Flats playset.
EDIT: Also Heroes are great in this Italia deck I brewed up, the 4 toughness, token generation, and Battle Cry effect is so good.

If you're going to build BW Tokens from scratch, and not including sideboard and lands, it will cost somewhere in the ballpark of 150 dollars. The price went down a little because Deathrite was a 4-of in most decks. I started playing during Innistrad, so I didn't have that many parts already (basically just Lingering Souls, Intangible Virtue, Godless Shrines, and 1-ofs Isolated Chapel and Vault of the Archangel.)

4x Thoughtseize (75-90)
3-4 Auriok Champion (35-40)
1x Elspeth, Knight Errant (15-20)
2x Hero of Bladehold (7.50-10)
1x Sorin, Lord of Innistrad (5-7)
3x Honor the Pure (3)
4x Spectral Posession (6-8)
4x Zealous Persecution (5)
4x Path to Exile (20)
4x Tidehallow Sculler (1)
4x Raise the Alarm (1)

You can make some cheap-o adjustments if you want (Burrenton Forge-Tender instead of Auirok Champion, Cloudgoat Ranger and Devouring Greed instead of Hero of Bladehold and Planeswalkers, Duress instead of Thoughtseize and IoK) but if you already have the Godless Shrines and Thoughtseizes, then the rest of the deck is pretty cheap to build. Just build the rest of the deck up first and then slowly pick up the needed lands (Marsh Flats, Windbrisk Heights, Fetid Heath maybe Caves of Koilos.) If the event deck has most of these non-land pieces in multiples, then I would consider it a pretty good buy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Well, seems MTGO poo poo the bed again. A buttload of matches locked up; a game would end but it wouldn't trigger as a win.

Great thing to have happen the morning of the MOCS finals.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Well, seems MTGO poo poo the bed again. A buttload of matches locked up; a game would end but it wouldn't trigger as a win.

Great thing to have happen the morning of the MOCS finals.
Twice in a month too. :(

I'm looking forward to GP Richmond today. My predictions for Top 8: Affinity and Combo mostly, maybe 1 Little Zoo deck that wins faster than combo. UWR will be unplayable for 15 rounds going long each game, except for the seasoned veterans of the deck. Twin will do well but I think people are gonna attempt to hate it out or know how to play around it. Blood Moon decks may end up still surprising people. They have been doing really good online and it's a simple hoser that kills newer players that just copy deck lists.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
How are everyone's FNM's structured? I moved from MD to MI a few weeks ago and have been starting to try new stores. The stores in Maryland I played at ran 3 rounds for draft regardless of attendance and paid out packs based on record (3-0 gets six packs down to 1-1-1 gets one pack). We were also never paired outside our pods, which I liked.

The store I played at last night runs rounds depending on attendance and some of the regulars mentioned that they've done as many as 5 rounds. Prize payout goes to the top X, which isn't decided until the very end. The weirdest/worst thing was that they didn't pair within pods but also didn't make any effort to even out the pods, so I was in a pod of 6 when there were two other pods of 8 which makes the draft feel wonky. It also (seemed to) made the decks weaker in comparison to 8 man decks, I drafted a sweet Mogis Minotaur deck that ran over anyone I played in my pod but folded to anything reasonably drafted from other pods.

I'll probably keep checking out stores, I like this one because it's clean, pretty well run, and doesn't have an intolerable group of local players, but I'd like for my FNM's to be more predictable.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My store does 3 rounds, unless you get over an 8man, in which case that pod is 4 round.

We definitely only pair within pods, which is especially relevant since we rare redraft, using pod standings, and redrafting from our own pods rares only.

The store has started doing booster prizes as well lately, 3 packs for a win, 2nd and 3rd get 2 packs and 4th gets a pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
SCG is doing coverage from Round 1 at GP Richmond and the stream has just gone live.

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/

• Locked thread