Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm pretty sure cherub sex is in some way related to Lord English's invulnerability, since the colored auras seem to be the same. He's carrying the "can only be harmed by my mate" power, only forever and without a mate.

Presumably the kids can defeat him by making him too disgusted to perform using the only thing he is known to find disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Discussions on the varying validity of fictional races' sex patterns and how best to edit Homestuck are awful. Can we go back to posting neat and funny fanart instead?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm pretty sure cherub sex is in some way related to Lord English's invulnerability, since the colored auras seem to be the same. He's carrying the "can only be harmed by my mate" power, only forever and without a mate.

Holy mother of gently caress, how come I never picked up on this.

Aranea posted:

Normally this power is only accessi8le to them during m8ting.

It makes sense now. :psypop:

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
All reality is threatened because a skeleton alien child sequence broke his species' state of sexual arousal.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Someone get that boy a hooker, stat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The kids must revive Calliope, incarnate her into an adult cherub, and then make her mate with Lord English, removing their invulnerable states.

Gentlemen, our story's villain has to go gently caress himself.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Who What Now posted:

Discussions on the varying validity of fictional races' sex patterns and how best to edit Homestuck are awful. Can we go back to posting neat and funny fanart instead?

There. Now everything is fixed forever.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Oxxidation posted:

The kids must revive Calliope, incarnate her into an adult cherub, and then make her mate with Lord English, removing their invulnerable states.

The greatest shaggy dog story ever told.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Now the Ouroborus connections all make sense.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.
It goes further than that; Caliborn was capable of winning his session in the first place because he destroyed Calliope, the part of himself that isn't psychotically driven to win all games. Hussie calls him a hero somewhere in those intermissions, just a hero who will do a ton of terrible poo poo, and I've seen comments in the thread saying that Caliborn seems to be more motivated, more active, and more hard-working than any of the other characters. He's a typical sort of protagonist viewed in a strange light: he overcomes stacked odds, learns the value of friendship (with the Felt), and eventually proves everyone who thought he couldn't do it wrong.

But that's only possible because he destroyed his ability to feel empathy or create art. His power is directly connected to his own incomplete self. This theory does require seeing the cherub as more like a single being than two who just happen to share a body, but that seems defensible.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dire Wombat posted:

It goes further than that; Caliborn was capable of winning his session in the first place because he destroyed Calliope, the part of himself that isn't psychotically driven to win all games. Hussie calls him a hero somewhere in those intermissions, just a hero who will do a ton of terrible poo poo, and I've seen comments in the thread saying that Caliborn seems to be more motivated, more active, and more hard-working than any of the other characters. He's a typical sort of protagonist viewed in a strange light: he overcomes stacked odds, learns the value of friendship (with the Felt), and eventually proves everyone who thought he couldn't do it wrong.

But that's only possible because he destroyed his ability to feel empathy or create art. His power is directly connected to his own incomplete self. This theory does require seeing the cherub as more like a single being than two who just happen to share a body, but that seems defensible.

Caliborn does create art. Strange outsider art, but still art.

cloudy music
Aug 23, 2008

Who What Now posted:

if you are legitimately unnerved by the cherub snake space crap in homestuck then don't ever watch a documentary about the mating habits of hyenas. i'm sure there are all kinds of animal species with really shocking reproductive rituals, but none of them destroy galaxies in their wake, at least

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

cloudy music posted:

if you are legitimately unnerved by the cherub snake space crap in homestuck then don't ever watch a documentary about the mating habits of hyenas. i'm sure there are all kinds of animal species with really shocking reproductive rituals, but none of them destroy galaxies in their wake, at least

It's not unnerving, it's just boring and dumb.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Who What Now posted:

It's not unnerving, it's just boring and dumb.

MSPaint Adventures - Giant space snake sex is just boring

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Empower Koos to edit Homestuck, I say. He is a serious individual who is prepared to make tough decisions.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Seoinin posted:

Empower Koos to edit Homestuck, I say. He is a serious individual who is prepared to make tough decisions.

Cut everything after Chapter 4, keep SS and crew as the villains, keep writing from there :colbert:

I mean there was an entire intermission dedicated to just setting up the personalities of the Villains just so we can have fuller more flushed out antagonists. And now he's just a dumb dog joke.

And we've got the Troll Queen as his replacement.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Cut everything after Chapter 4, keep SS and crew as the villains, keep writing from there :colbert:

I mean there was an entire intermission dedicated to just setting up the personalities of the Villains just so we can have fuller more flushed out antagonists. And now he's just a dumb dog joke.

And we've got the Troll Queen as his replacement.

Spades Slick and Jack Noir aren't the same guy. One of them is John's bandicoot and the other is Karkat's bandicoot. This was established even in your precious Act 4.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm alright with the whole Lord English/Caliborn/Doc Scratch set of villains, but they could've used being built up earlier. Dave made a good point when he asked why he should possibly care about Lord English and whatever nefarious scheme he's got going on, the story's waited far too late to make him matter to us and the heroes - so much went into Bec Noir, and he really has just been sort of discarded.

Perhaps if Doc Scratch had appeared earlier in the story, and stuck around after Lord English was summoned. Perhaps if Bec Noir ended up being a direct pawn of Lord English, or ended up co-opted by him like the Noir in the post-scratch universe does. So many possibilities. As it stands John's understanding of the main villain of Homestuck basically boils down to "he's that rear end in a top hat writing badly drawn incest fanfiction of my friends".

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

One of them is John's bandicoot and the other is Karkat's bandicoot.

At first it puzzled me that out of all the video games to name, John decided on Crash Bandicoot. Then I thought about what Crash has become nowadays (read: virtually nonexistent) and I went "Yeah that sounds about right for John."

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Funny how Matthew McConaughey's career has progressed to make John's early enthusiasm look pretty good in retrospect, though.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dolash posted:

I'm alright with the whole Lord English/Caliborn/Doc Scratch set of villains, but they could've used being built up earlier. Dave made a good point when he asked why he should possibly care about Lord English and whatever nefarious scheme he's got going on, the story's waited far too late to make him matter to us and the heroes - so much went into Bec Noir, and he really has just been sort of discarded.

Perhaps if Doc Scratch had appeared earlier in the story, and stuck around after Lord English was summoned. Perhaps if Bec Noir ended up being a direct pawn of Lord English, or ended up co-opted by him like the Noir in the post-scratch universe does. So many possibilities. As it stands John's understanding of the main villain of Homestuck basically boils down to "he's that rear end in a top hat writing badly drawn incest fanfiction of my friends".
Yeah, I especially am saddened that Doc Scratch never really came back after Act 5 ended. He was set up as such a huge villain and plenty of character continued to refer to him frequently at the start of Act 6 especially, but in the end nothing ever came of it. Unless we're going to get some kind of link between him and Caliborn, much like what the rest of the Felt is getting, but that seems unlikely at this point.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have an hard time criticizing Homestuck, because everything is so linked to everything else, and it's so immense, that I honestly have no idea what one could change it without having the whole thing either collapse unto itself or lose some of its value. But I am a diehard fan of it so I don't think I should trust my judgement on this one.

Dolash posted:

It kind of fits that Doc Scratch doesn't have that much of an impact after LE's appearance, since he's just his servant. But I suppose if both stuck around it would have been nice. The intelectual, indirect nature of Doc Scratch could have been an interesting foil to LE's explosive and brutish attitude.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 8, 2014

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have an hard time criticizing Homestuck, because everything is so linked to everything else, and it's so immense, that I honestly have no idea what one could change it without having the whole thing either collapse unto itself or lose some of its value. But I am a diehard fan of it so I don't think I should trust my judgement on this one.

Apparently film people say "kill your darlings", because if you write something, you have to write 10 times as much as you can use, and you always write the Absolute Best Thing Ever that you can't use because it doesn't quite work in context.

So yeah, if they make a homestuck movei, the last thing you could expect would be for it to include the best conversation between the best characters, because every conversation is that.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That's exactly the issue with Homestuck. Whenever people start discussing what should've been cut or trimmed, someone else will always stand up to defend that part as being great. Even when updates were regular before the Gigapause, every new update would be praised individually as good even though the direction of the story overall was being criticized.

Hivebent blowing up in size the way it did is precisely a case of an author writing something he and the audience enjoys that was honestly to the detriment of the story as a whole, and even Hussie had to cut it short around the time Vriska became God-tier.

paradoxGentleman posted:

It kind of fits that Doc Scratch doesn't have that much of an impact after LE's appearance, since he's just his servant. But I suppose if both stuck around it would have been nice. The intelectual, indirect nature of Doc Scratch could have been an interesting foil to LE's explosive and brutish attitude.

It would've really helped to still have Doc Scratch just because some of the heroes already knew he was a villain and he'd done villainous things, so he'd have provided a stronger reason for the heroes to fight Lord English. Not to mention he actually talks, whereas Lord English just runs around blowing things up. He could still return (he has to have a genesis, after all) and that might help ground Lord English as a villain and give some of the heroes somebody to fight, but narratively he didn't really have to be killed to make way for Lord English and it feels like somewhat of a waste.

ANIME GOAT ASS
Jul 21, 2007

Doc Scratch already has a genesis: He's ectobiologically created from a cue ball & the book written in troll blood by a beta timeline Gamzee by the black queen.

I've been rereading HS with my partner and because we read every page together the pace has been slower than when I read it myself, so I have been a bit involved with it again as it were, and I also have the blessing of kind of knowing where all of this leads, to an extent. I enjoy how the story is told and how the different parts relate to eachother—I wouldn't cut anything. I think some of the criticism of bloat has merit, but HS isn't a movie script or even a book, so I think those comparisons are a little unfair. The story where we left off is in an awkward transient state, kind of if you took a hiatus on like, the panel where John is stabbed in the back and Rose is grimdark. I might be a bit optimistic but there's quite a bit left to tell and I'm excited to read (and play??) the rest of the story.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

There's plenty to criticize about Homestuck, but phrasing it as "Hussie just needs to do X single thing and everything would be fixed" is both stupid and dumb. X single thing would have far reaching consequences that would affect not only everything that came after that point, but everything that came before that was part of foreshadowing the stuff that came after (yes, this would even go for retroactive foreshadowing), and then you're talking about altering the story on an extremely fundamental level.

This isn't always necessarily bad, but it needs to be handled a lot more carefully than "CUT OUT ALL THE TROLL STUFF" and is kind of a fruitless exercise as long as the story as it exists remains unfinished.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

As long as you leave Equius as is, everything's fine :v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Spades Slick and Jack Noir aren't the same guy. One of them is John's bandicoot and the other is Karkat's bandicoot. This was established even in your precious Act 4.

Pretty sure Hussie went on record during one of his question answering phases on formspring or whatever that the point of that first intermission was to give Soverign Slayer and his gang characterization by association for lack of a better term. Like Spades Slick isn't 100% exactly like Soverign Slayer, but the point was they're pretty alike (ie Same dude, different circumstances). And at that point and in Act 4 that characterization for them really does hold up. SS is cutthroat and driven but easy to rile and kind of single minded, always pushing toward his goals without much scheming, DD is etc. etc.

Also my post and 'suggestion' wasn't exactly 100% serious but thanks for admitting act 4 is precious. A Precious Moments Figurine set precariously on a cliff. So fragile....so beautiful :qq:

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 9, 2014

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Why stop at one? Imagine, if you will, four Precious Moments figurines on the edge of a cliff.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dolash posted:

That's exactly the issue with Homestuck. Whenever people start discussing what should've been cut or trimmed, someone else will always stand up to defend that part as being great. Even when updates were regular before the Gigapause, every new update would be praised individually as good even though the direction of the story overall was being criticized.

Can we all at least agree that Tricker mode never happened?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bilirubin posted:

No, because Trickster mode cut out a lot of bullshit jerking around that would have taken ages to wrap up and instead warped us into the final act.

Granted, Hussie wasn't actually ready to deliver the final act which is why we're in Gigapause status, but still, I don't regret hitting fast forward for even a second.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

No, because Trickster mode cut out a lot of bullshit jerking around that would have taken ages to wrap up and instead warped us into the final act.

To be fair though, it only really needed to cut out all that bullshit because all the characters spent the first 4-5 parts of Act 6 doing absolutely nothing but jerking around. The plot really spins its wheels for most of act 6 and that's super bad since by word of god this is supposed to be the Climax of the story. Or at least the immediate build up to the climax and we still haven't actually met our villain, or at least none of our protagonists have.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 9, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, trickster mode was an imperfect solution to a very real problem. Probably another example of the "first draft" problem, where Hussie needed a fast way to jump the post-scratch kids' story forward.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dolash posted:

That's exactly the issue with Homestuck. Whenever people start discussing what should've been cut or trimmed, someone else will always stand up to defend that part as being great.

Bilirubin posted:

LOL. Well, at least nobody claimed it was great.

Have to admit, I really enjoyed Jane's hangover, especially when Caliborn started hitting the monitors with the crowbar. Seeing all that candy corn fly <3

ETA: spoilers, not yet sure what the thread rules are, sorry

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Trickster Mode WAS great, though. There's not much I didn't enjoy about it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Trickster mode was amazing if only because it took a sprite edit some guy did back in the very first few days of Homestuck's existence and made it into a plot point 4 years later.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dolash posted:

Yeah, trickster mode was an imperfect solution to a very real problem. Probably another example of the "first draft" problem, where Hussie needed a fast way to jump the post-scratch kids' story forward.

It also provided some interesting insight into Dirk’s character which will probably be relevant later.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Act 6 in the form it ended up taking was a bad idea that killed this comic's momentum. Sure it provided us with a few awesome characters but in the end it wasn't worth it. There I said it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's kinda how I feel. Homestuck has had quite a few points where it gets going and then suddenly something new stops it in its tracks to go "okay now this is happening/is also happening".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CJacobs posted:

That's kinda how I feel. Homestuck has had quite a few points where it gets going and then suddenly something new stops it in its tracks to go "okay now this is happening/is also happening".
The comic was going at a breakneck pact up until 5.1, so that was another point where the comic slowed down, but I think Act 5 worked overall, and no matter what you think about the trolls it did help to expand the fanbase. Not sure if you can say the same about Act 6.