Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Uncle Jam posted:

poo poo, that's horrible. The NFL has rules about if a game doesn't sell out it gets taken off the TV, but between there being only 8 home games a year and corporate sponsors buying giant blocks of seats if there is a chance to not sell out, this isn't a problem.

Anyway, enjoying the thread.

Yeah, seriously. The last time I remember an NFL game failing to sell out was sometime in the early-90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, seriously. The last time I remember an NFL game failing to sell out was sometime in the early-90's.
I don't know what the numbers are for this most recent year, but in 2012 15 games failed to reach the threshold necessary to avoid a local television blackout. That number probably dropped a bit in 2013 because the blackout requirements were reduced, but I know for a fact that some games were still blacked out, and even a playoff game barely reached the number of tickets it needed to sell to avoid a blackout this year.

NFL games fail to completely sell out all the time, if your definition of "sell out" is "fill the stadium to capacity". And some teams struggle to even fill 70% of the stadium reliably. The San Diego Chargers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have been particularly bad offenders recently.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

More directly, if an NFL game doesn't sell out, it gets taken off TV in its home market. It still airs everywhere else it was scheduled to.

[EDIT] Well, if I was going to be beaten to the punch it might as well be by a guy with a Jaguars logo. Who would know blackout rules better?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

JT Jag posted:

I don't know what the numbers are for this most recent year, but in 2012 15 games failed to reach the threshold necessary to avoid a local television blackout. That number probably dropped a bit in 2013 because the blackout requirements were reduced, but I know for a fact that some games were still blacked out, and even a playoff game barely reached the number of tickets it needed to sell to avoid a blackout this year.

NFL games fail to completely sell out all the time, if your definition of "sell out" is "fill the stadium to capacity". And some teams struggle to even fill 70% of the stadium reliably. The San Diego Chargers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have been particularly bad offenders recently.

I live in Vikings country, and we're pretty loyal to the shitheap team that we're saddled with from year to year.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

tarbrush posted:

It does result in awful awful decisions such as a couple of weeks ago, when Sky had picked (long in advance) to show an Aston Villa v Norwich game which was absolutely loving dreadful, while Liverpool and Swansea had a 4-3 thriller that wasn't broadcast.

That's insane. I watched that game as a Liverpool fan* and it was both depressing and awesome in equal measure, it boggles my mind that people in Liverpool couldn't watch the game live on TV.

Says the Bolton fan.

Zaodai posted:

[EDIT] Well, if I was going to be beaten to the punch it might as well be by a guy with a Jaguars logo. Who would know blackout rules better?

They should have signed Tebow!

Zeroisanumber posted:

I live in Vikings country, and we're pretty loyal to the shitheap team that we're saddled with from year to year.

You've got Adrian Peterson! That dude carried you to the playoffs on his repaired ACL. I am so jealous of my friend who was at the game where he had 296 yards rushing, especially since my friend was too drunk to appreciate it. But I have a soft spot for the Vikings since I lived in Minneapolis for four years, the twin cities are a surprisingly awesome part of the US, and I say that as an east coast snob.

* even worse, I love Liverpool in large part because of Luis Suarez. He's such an awful person but such an amazing player. He's like A-rod if only A-rod had a nickname like the Anfield Cannibal.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

habeasdorkus posted:

* even worse, I love Liverpool in large part because of Luis Suarez. He's such an awful person but such an amazing player. He's like A-rod if only A-rod had a nickname like the Anfield Cannibal.

If I win any of the contests, my request is likely to be renaming AU Suarez to Suarez and moving him back to Liverpool.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

tarbrush posted:

If I win any of the contests, my request is likely to be renaming AU Suarez to Suarez and moving him back to Liverpool.

If I win the contest, I promise to rename him Jerk McJerkington and move him to Tackleford.

P.S. gently caress Liverpool, Everton is where it's at. :colbert:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I have plans if I win a contest. Spiteful, bitter, vengeful plans based on a century-old grudge.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

I have plans if I win a contest. Spiteful, bitter, vengeful plans based on a century-old grudge.

Does this involve renaming Arsenal to Arse Anal by any chance?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

A Tartan Tory posted:

Does this involve renaming Arsenal to Arse Anal by any chance?

No. Right team, far too little bitterness and spite.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

You've got Adrian Peterson!

We all love All Day, but I kind of wish that the Vikings would trade him to someone like Denver in exchange for some crazy draft picks. AP is stupendous and deserves to be on a team that has a shot at winning the Superbowl, not a team that's in year 9 of it's five year rebuilding plan.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

the JJ posted:

On the other hand, Moneyball, right? I know, totally different sort of nerd. Also pretty different sort of sport, I think baseball lends itself better to that sorta analysis.

It was easier to get started on baseball without more advanced data because of the discrete nature of at bats. Even the defensive stats weren't that hard to piece together once ball-in-play data became available, though they're still not as advanced as the offensive side of things. But it's certainly happening in other sports, basketball has seen a huge amount of advances, as has hockey. Football has had a lot of good work done, though it's one of the hardest to tease out individual performance due to the role that designed plays have. In soccer Man City is to be lauded for releasing the Opta data to the public, it's sparked a lot of good research.

I'm a huge sports nerd and a huge stats nerd, so I love the stats revolution in sports. It also helps me when picking my fantasy teams. :)

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

habeasdorkus posted:

Says the Bolton fan.

As a Bolton fan and a Jets fan, your words wound me sir!

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the Jags owner said they wouldn't sign him because of the media circus. Despite the fact he's probably better than any QB they have on the roster.

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the Jags owner said they wouldn't sign him because of the media circus. Despite the fact he's probably better than any QB they have on the roster.

habeasdorkus posted:

You've got Adrian Peterson! That dude carried you to the playoffs on his repaired ACL. I am so jealous of my friend who was at the game where he had 296 yards rushing, especially since my friend was too drunk to appreciate it. But I have a soft spot for the Vikings since I lived in Minneapolis for four years, the twin cities are a surprisingly awesome part of the US, and I say that as an east coast snob.

Here's the sad thing about that. Yea they do have AP. But that's all they have. I agree with Zeroisanumber. The Vikings need to trade him, despite how popular he is. You can't get rings on rushing alone.

ForeverBWFC posted:

As a Bolton fan and a Jets fan, your words wound me sir!

As a Jets and Sanchez sympathizer, I feel sorry for you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Zaodai posted:

More directly, if an NFL game doesn't sell out, it gets taken off TV in its home market. It still airs everywhere else it was scheduled to.

Jaguars fans always take joy in pointing out when other teams are blacked out, because we haven't for years now despite ESPN types implying otherwise. (insert retort about tarps here)

We also always look out for rumors about other teams being moved, because of the ruthless rumor-mongering about the Jaguars moving to Los Angeles, which has died down in favor of ruthless rumor-mongering about the Jaguars moving to London.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Guys this isn't a NFL let's play.

Go Wrexham.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
By the way, have you enabled the Czech league? I think it is present in the game. If so, can you tell me who won the title last season?

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

JT Jag posted:

We also always look out for rumors about other teams being moved, because of the ruthless rumor-mongering about the Jaguars moving to Los Angeles, which has died down in favor of ruthless rumor-mongering about the Jaguars moving to London.
I don't get why sports teams in the states move so much; the only time I remember it happening here was with Wimbledon/MK Dons, and I remember that a massive uproar was raised over it down there.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Disproportionation posted:

I don't get why sports teams in the states move so much; the only time I remember it happening here was with Wimbledon/MK Dons, and I remember that a massive uproar was raised over it down there.

And to this day literally every single person hates MK Dons, but loves AFC Wimbledon.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Drunk Canuck posted:

Guys this isn't a NFL let's play.

Go Wrexham.

Football is football

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Disproportionation posted:

It isn't particularly beloved here in the States either. The big two that most people point to that are extremely controversial are the NFL move of the Cleveland Browns to become the Baltimore Ravens, and the NBA move of the Seattle Sonics to become the Oklahoma City Thunder. It's just that the general consensus is that most people feel 'well, so long as it doesn't happen to my team'. Cleveland was left the history, name, colors, and an expansion franchise to re-created the team. Seattle still doesn't have a team, much to the despair of their fans.

Another large part of it is that there are only so many teams that can make up a league without getting ridiculous, and the US has a lot of markets that could support a franchise. Since none of our leagues have promotion/relegation, you can't just create a team and pump money into it to make it competitive, so the only way to get a team is to either wait patiently until the league decides to add teams every 20 or so years, or lure away a team.

Generally, here in the US it comes down to franchises moving to where they can get the most public funding for a new stadium, or the fanbase has lost interest in the team (usually when they've been very bad), or there's an untapped market that the League is convinced would embrace and love a team of their own (see: the NFL's current fixation with London). Most times a team doesn't move without a lot of good reasons. This year there was a big push for a group of Seattle buyers to purchase the Sacramento Kings and use the franchise to re-create the Sonics. The money was just massive, but Sacramento put forward a lesser bid that was accepted to keep the team, simply because the leagues don't like moving teams.

Now, teams moving is an unfortunate fact of life here in the US, but in Europe it's literally unthinkable. It doesn't matter if your team plays in a shithole and you can't get the funding to fix it, you play in that shithole with your fanbase until you get the funding or the stadium collapses and you can't play, and then the franchise folds, a group of rich supporters buy the rights, build a stadium, and you start all over again, maybe with "AFC Shithole" rather than "FC Shithole", and you've lost all your players, moved down several league levels, and don't have the prestige to rebuild. The MK Dons/Wimbledon FC issue was the first major American-style move in English history, and it was so horribly controversial no team will ever do it again. It got somewhat better for the old Wimbledon supporters, a group of fans decided to start AFC Wimbledon, and have recently managed to get MK Dons to return all the trophies and such to them, and are now trying to get them to drop the nickname 'Dons', since that's historically the nickname for Wimbledon FC.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The ironic thing is that Wimbledon around the time of their destruction were one of those boogey teams of arseholes, so it wasn't as though an excuse could be made that popular support resulted in the controversy - it was just the idea itself of moving, not the team itself, per se.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I actually forgot the third controversy, which is when your team is taken over by rich Russian oligarchs, Arabian oil barons, or just Americans, and a segment of your fans get all pissy and bitch about how these people are ruining football and split off to create their own team that's TRUE to football. Not even the biggest-name teams are immune to this: FC United of Manchester was created by a pissed off group of Manchester United supporters.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

I actually forgot the third controversy, which is when your team is taken over by rich Russian oligarchs, Arabian oil barons, or just Americans, and a segment of your fans get all pissy and bitch about how these people are ruining football and split off to create their own team that's TRUE to football. Not even the biggest-name teams are immune to this: FC United of Manchester was created by a pissed off group of Manchester United supporters.

The good thing with this is ,we all know they are still Manchester United supporters so we can still hate them and feel good about it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Sky Shadowing posted:

It isn't particularly beloved here in the States either. The big two that most people point to that are extremely controversial are the NFL move of the Cleveland Browns to become the Baltimore Ravens, and the NBA move of the Seattle Sonics to become the Oklahoma City Thunder. It's just that the general consensus is that most people feel 'well, so long as it doesn't happen to my team'. Cleveland was left the history, name, colors, and an expansion franchise to re-created the team. Seattle still doesn't have a team, much to the despair of their fans.

Another large part of it is that there are only so many teams that can make up a league without getting ridiculous, and the US has a lot of markets that could support a franchise. Since none of our leagues have promotion/relegation, you can't just create a team and pump money into it to make it competitive, so the only way to get a team is to either wait patiently until the league decides to add teams every 20 or so years, or lure away a team.

Generally, here in the US it comes down to franchises moving to where they can get the most public funding for a new stadium, or the fanbase has lost interest in the team (usually when they've been very bad), or there's an untapped market that the League is convinced would embrace and love a team of their own (see: the NFL's current fixation with London). Most times a team doesn't move without a lot of good reasons. This year there was a big push for a group of Seattle buyers to purchase the Sacramento Kings and use the franchise to re-create the Sonics. The money was just massive, but Sacramento put forward a lesser bid that was accepted to keep the team, simply because the leagues don't like moving teams.

Now, teams moving is an unfortunate fact of life here in the US, but in Europe it's literally unthinkable. It doesn't matter if your team plays in a shithole and you can't get the funding to fix it, you play in that shithole with your fanbase until you get the funding or the stadium collapses and you can't play, and then the franchise folds, a group of rich supporters buy the rights, build a stadium, and you start all over again, maybe with "AFC Shithole" rather than "FC Shithole", and you've lost all your players, moved down several league levels, and don't have the prestige to rebuild. The MK Dons/Wimbledon FC issue was the first major American-style move in English history, and it was so horribly controversial no team will ever do it again. It got somewhat better for the old Wimbledon supporters, a group of fans decided to start AFC Wimbledon, and have recently managed to get MK Dons to return all the trophies and such to them, and are now trying to get them to drop the nickname 'Dons', since that's historically the nickname for Wimbledon FC.

I'ma stab Clay Bennett in the head with a screwdriver if I see him for stealing my Sonics, and if you think I'm joking I've started to carry a screwdriver around with me just in case.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chapter the Third: Wherein I have to pull us out of a tailspin.
September 2, 2018-October 10, 2018

We don't have a game for two weeks thanks to the international break. I should have checked to see if any players on the team needed a vacation, but forgot to do so. When we have no matches for a one or two week stretch due to breaks for international games it's a good idea to see if anyone on your team needs a rest.

Here's our current first team. You can see that we've got a lot of potential, but only Mujkic and Todd have four or more stars. We have a lot of three and a half star players, which is very good, and only five players aren't at least two and a half stars. That consistent level of talent allows me to rotate players in and out of the squad as needed, and means that beyond an injury to Mujkic we shouldn't suffer much if someone misses time.

Also, note the player's happiness. This is different from morale, and has an effect upon it. Our Italian loanee is grumpy about being loaned to us, while our Italian signing is finding Tedesco's presence helpful in settling in. Likewise, Djurovic and Vaillant are happy that they have people who speak the same language as them, making them less lonely. This is something you need to pay attention to when you start bringing in foreign players, if they don't feel comfortable at the club they can get homesick and take a long time to start playing well. Just ask how Spurs are enjoying the Erik Lamela show in real life.

Our under-18 squad has been restocked, and we're starting to bring in some good players through our youth academy. Walley should be ready for some first team time soon, and Newman isn't that far behind.

Lewis is happy again. No automatic raises in his contract, and we've got him for two more years after this one.

He was uninjured for a whole six months! He should stop playing football before he kills himself.

Bailey makes his first appearance of the year in the team of the week. He wasn't playing well the first month, but seems to be getting back on track.

He's right to complain, Tedesco hasn't been getting much time. But I'll try and assuage him without promising to play Tedesco.

I'm very persuasive.

Congratulations, Mr. Todd.

And to you, Mr. Harrison.

I probably shouldn't have accepted that clause in his contract that I negotiated just months ago.

We now play in a 15,500 seat stadium with the renovations. We'll see how many of those seats we can fill this season, our average attendance is still around 6000.

vs. Hull City, September 15, 2018
Championship

Tigers versus Dragons. I think we should have the advantage here, they're predicted to finish tenth and we're playing in Wrexham. They're currently second in the league, though, so I might be overestimating our chances.

Hull are a good example of why someone like Mujkic might want to leave us- like us they were an old club with a lot of history that had fallen on hard times by the aughts. Like us they had a meteoric rise, going from League Two in 2004 to the Premier League by 2009. But that's where they stalled out. They were relegated from the Premier League a year later, and then made another cameo in 2013. The real life Tigers are a good bet to stay up, but ingame they were relegated and have been back in the championship since. If you were a good young player at Hull in 2007 you could imagine the team reaching at least a stable spot in the Premier league, but if you were still at the club a decade later you'd have spent most of the interim playing for a Championship squad that couldn't stick in the premier league.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Attack
Starting 11: Higgs, Peters, Todd, Lewis, Garuti, Troelsen, Djurovic, Bailey, Gorman, Mujkic, Harrison (c)
Subs: Love, Mejasic, Vaillant, Holland, Tedesco, Coulson, Pym.

Hull pounce on us with alacrity, and are up two after a dozen minutes thanks to a 40 yard golazo from their captain. Mujkic and Harrison both miss sitters that could have pulled us back into the game, but once again we're being undone by our lack of finishing while our opponents are now good enough that they don't miss many chances on their own. We finally score a goal in the second half after I pull Harrison for Pym, but that's all we get and we lose again. The win puts Hull atop the league and we drift down into the relegation zone.

Wrexham 1-2 Hull

Yes, I agree.

I'm able to lift spirits a bit, but we won't really get better until we start winning some matches.

I also go through and tell the players performing worst that they need to pick it up.

At Crewe Alexandra, September 18, 2018
Championship

We need to start winning. I'm starting everyone who isn't in horrible form, because we desperately need to do something to recover from this start. It's not even that we're getting crushed, we clearly have the talent to play at this level but we're not catching any breaks and we're beating ourselves.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Counter.
Starting 11: Higgs, Vaillant, Lewis, Poole, Mejasic, Simpson (c), Holland, Bailey, Rainey, Mujkic, Pym.
Subs: Love, Peters, Todd, Tedesco, Shirra, Coulson, Harrison.

It's an even match through the first half hour, with neither side able to break down the defenses. Higgs makes an error in the 32nd minute, though, which puts Crewe on top. The game continues to be an even battle between the teams, and we actually finish with more shots than Crewe. None of them are goals, though, leading to yet another loss. This is the second time in the young season where Higgs has cost us points.

Crewe 1-0 Wrexham

The post match press conference is all about our shambolic play over the last month, always fun to deal with.

What, I'm supposed to junk the tactics we're comfortable with and go to a 4-4-2 despite not having the personnel for it?

At Derby, September 22, 2018
Championship

Joy, just what we needed, another match against a team playing well.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Defense.
Starting 11: Higgs, Peters, Todd, Lewis, Garuti, Simpson (c), Holland, Djurovic, Coulson, Mujkic, Pym.
Subs: Love, Mejasic, Poole, Troelsen, Shirra, Tedesco, Harrison.

Derby scores 5 minutes into the game, and in the 22nd minute big transfer Djurovic goes down injured. For once we show a bit of finishing skill when Pym thuds a header past the Derby keeper in the 45th minute to bring us even. Derby dominates the second half. Yet when the whistle blows after a furious last minute surge can't find them the go ahead goal we earn our first points in what seems like forever.

Derby 1-1 Wrexham

You couldn't run off a bruised thigh? Wimp.

vs. Bolton Wanderers, September 29, 2018
Championship

I wonder if ForeverBWFC has mixed emotions about who to support in this match. We probably shouldn't make him president while we play in the same league as Bolton, I wouldn't trust his loyalty. Bolton is having nearly as bad a year as we are, so for once we're not hopeless underdogs.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Attack.
Starting 11: Higgs, Siegrist, Lewis, Vaillant, Mejasic, Simpson (c), Bailey, Tedesco, Gorman, Mujkic, Pym.
Subs: Love, Garuti, Todd, Troelsen, Shirra, Coulson, Harrison.

The talismanic Mujkic scores 58 seconds in, and then Lewis scores from a corner twenty minutes later. So we're up two-nil when Dinko Mejasic is sent off 32nd minute for a rough tackle. It didn't look that bad, he was going for the ball and not coming in from behind the Bolton player. I bring on Todd for Siegrist to give us three centerbacks, and switch us back to a defensive posture. Bolton get some chances with us a man down, but don't score as we win our second match of the season. Perhaps we should get players sent off more often? We've won both times we've had someone given a red card. It's also strange that we've already had two players earn red cards this season after not receiving a single one last season.

Man of the Match: Stewart Lewis

Wrexham 2-0 Bolton

The foul was apparently worse than it looked in the game engine. Though viewing the replay, I think he went in with two feet, and he did arrive after the ball had been kicked on. I give a warning, which he accepts.

We've gone from “below average” to “adequate” facilities.

At least we've had players popping up on the team of the week once in a while.

vs. Brighton and Hove Albion, October 2, 2018
Championship

Brighton's currently on top of the table, and are very eager to get back into the BPL seeing as they have a whopping £129m in debt that they need to service. I'm going to try and steal an early goal before switching us over to a counter-attacking posture, hopefully it'll work.

Starting 11: Higgs, Seigrist, Todd, Poole, Garuti, Simpson (c), Shirra, Tedesco, Rainey, Gorman, Harrison.
Subs: Love, Vaillant, Lewis, Troelsen, Bailey, Holland, Pym.

We get no early chances at goal from coming out hard, and are almost undone on one occasion by Brighton's counterstroke. Brighton batters us about for most of the first half, but it's still nil-nil after 45. Our defense stiffens after the break, and we hold Brighton to just two half chances, neither of which they can convert on. Meanwhile our offense is similarly punchless, and the result is a draw. I'll take it.

Man of the Match: Matthew Poole.

Wrexham 0-0 Brighton

Harrison is getting benched. He's scored just one goal all season and routinely misses important chances. He's also offsides a half-dozen times a game. This is Pym's chance to take over the starting role if he can perform.

Hmm, I wonder...

I should have checked this before dropping nearly a million pounds on him. It looks like he's a lock to miss at least a month a season with injuries. He's no Anthony Walsh, but he isn't made of steel either.

Once again, not conflicting with our league schedule. It is so nice to have gotten promoted to a league that doesn't make us play without a third of our squad.

At Peterborough, October 6, 2018
Championship

A game against a team below us on the table! Sounds like a fine time to pick up some points.

Starting 11: Higgs, Vaillant, Lewis, Poole, Mejasic, Holland, Bailey, Shirra, Harrison (c), Mujkic, Pym.
Subs: Love, Siegrist, Todd, Simpson, Troelsen, Gorman, Coulson.

We sparkle from the first moment, and it pays off with a Mujkic goal in the 9th minute. He adds a second at the half hour mark, aided by a perfect through ball from Harrison. Not long after halftime Harrison adds a goal to make it three-nil, and end his scoring drought. Petersborough doggedly fight their way back into the game, scoring just before the hour mark on their first good opportunity of the day. They add a second when Mejasic fouls one of their players in the penalty area and earns a penalty shot. Mark Holland misses an easy shot that could have extended the lead back to two, but we're able to hang on for the victory after another anxiety inducing fifteen minutes.

Man of the Match: Mateo Mujkic

Peterborough 2-3 Wrexham

He played terribly today as well, our new fullbacks have not done well at all for us.

Prince Vaillant is a member of the Algerian national team, he also has French citizenship which is how we were able to sign him. He was called up for international matches, but will miss them now due to this slight injury.

He's becoming a regular feature of the team of the week.

At Queens Park Rangers, October 9, 2018
Championship

In real life QPR are playing in the Championship after being relegated from the Premier League, just as they are in the game. QPR has spent ungodly sums of money trying to become a megabastard team, to the point where one of their best players, Loic Remy, has been spending the season on loan with Newcastle in the Premier League, in essence being a player from a Championship team loaned up the pyramid rather than down. That's also cost them dearly, they're a financial basket case. They recently announced losses of £65.4m last year when they were still in the Premier League, those losses are nothing compared to what they'll lose this season. Their ultra wealthy owner, Malaysian airline magnate Tony Fernandes, would have had better luck setting those millions on fire, and the club is now mired with over £175m in debt.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Defense
Starting 11: Higgs, Peters, Lewis, Poole, Garuti, Troelsen, Simpson (c), Bailey, Harrison, Mujkic, Pym.
Subs: Love, Siegrist, Todd, Shirra, Tedesco, Gorman, Coulson.

The Kid is right back to his habit of missing easy chances. QPR is given penalty in first half and converts, it's the only goal of the opening half. Our offense remains as lively as day old roadkill, at halftime Harrison, Bailey, and Pym all have 6.1 ratings. Harrison and Bailey only get worse after play resumes and I have to pull them. Their replacements don't give us any spark, either. Thus it makes no difference that we conceded no goals other than the penalty, and we lose for the first time in five matches.

QPR 1-0 Wrexham

Not good. With Harrison struggling so much this means that if he gets sat we're going to be bereft of leadership. Luckily, we don't have another game for 11 days, so he shouldn't miss too much time.

On a lighter note, Justin Bailey and I are now “Icons” of Wrexham.

Those results are much better than last time, and I feel confident that the club has gotten their legs under them. A loss against league leading QPR is perfectly acceptable, and a draw against their promotion rivals Brighton is quite respectable. Our biggest problem this year has been our attacking, after raining goals on League One we've proven punchless at the higher level, relying upon Mujkic as our talisman to save our hides. We're not scoring much from corners, and Bailey has only two assists in 11 games played. Our fullback signings have been uniformly awful, which is on me for selling Smissen and Tench and bringing them in. We're a clear work in progress, but we have more than enough about us to keep our heads above water.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ugh, that's not a good run, I mean at least you're out of the relegation zone, but I wasn't expecting your team to struggle this much.

How is your job security? your beginning update made it seem like you were starting to lose your "untouchable" status.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tithin Melias posted:

Ugh, that's not a good run, I mean at least you're out of the relegation zone, but I wasn't expecting your team to struggle this much.

How is your job security? your beginning update made it seem like you were starting to lose your "untouchable" status.
Anyone who expected much more than consolidation this year was being a bit too optimistic. Best case scenario, we get our feet under us, go on a bit of a run, and finish on the low end of mid-table. 14th, maybe. I'd be ok if we ended up right where we are now though.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

beru04 posted:

Hey, the Villa v Norwich game was last weekend and it resulted in a wonderful 5 goal first half! You're thinking of the other Villa game that was on TV, against Newcastle, buddy!

Seriously though, Villa have 5 TV games in a row, not that I'm complaining...

As a Coventry City fan, I greatly resent this, though I don't mind it when they get crushed. :getin:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JT Jag posted:

Anyone who expected much more than consolidation this year was being a bit too optimistic. Best case scenario, we get our feet under us, go on a bit of a run, and finish on the low end of mid-table. 14th, maybe. I'd be ok if we ended up right where we are now though.

I knew going into this that this would be a consolidation year, I just didn't expect to be being smashed right out the gate.

still doing better than tackleford

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tithin Melias posted:

I knew going into this that this would be a consolidation year, I just didn't expect to be being smashed right out the gate.

still doing better than tackleford
Getting the poo poo kicked out of you out of the gate is how most consolidation years go. First contact in a higher league is always the roughest: you just aren't accustomed to the new level of play yet. It's how the team handles things as the season wears on when we'll know its true quality.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Good to know, because I have never played this game before.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Tithin Melias posted:

Good to know, because I have never played this game before.

Anything out of the relegation zone is a great result after back to back promotions, particularly as he's salary budget is one of the smallest in the league.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Well that's not too shabby, but how are we not scoring more goals ? Is the finishing of our strikers that bad, or it's just bad morale + the higher level of play that's impacting our ability to get the ball in the net?

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

Samael posted:

As a Coventry City fan, I greatly resent this, though I don't mind it when they get crushed. :getin:

As a Villa fan living in Leicester... You must hate me! :stonk:

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Well that's not too shabby, but how are we not scoring more goals ? Is the finishing of our strikers that bad, or it's just bad morale + the higher level of play that's impacting our ability to get the ball in the net?

I think our game as been based around being fast. Harrison, as I recall, is very fast but has a very poor finnishing and last season he was already missing a lot of easy shots. He will not be better now.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Time to get some striker in the winter break. I like the idea of buying one veteran striker, think of Eto'o or Drogba.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Camoes posted:

I think our game as been based around being fast. Harrison, as I recall, is very fast but has a very poor finnishing and last season he was already missing a lot of easy shots. He will not be better now.

Yeah, his Pace is back up to 18, and his acceleration is 17, so he's still very fast for this level. But he's only gotten 5 of his 40 shots on target, which is way down from last year when about 35% of his shots were on target. Our tactics are all about speed, when we play Counter or Defense we want to hoof the ball up the pitch to our fast wingers and striker to get breakaways, and when we play attack we want to play a high tempo direct passing game to those same strikers and wingers.

As for our place on the table, it's what JT Jag and Cthulu Dreams said. Add together that we're a team with an average age of under 22, new players fitting in with the team, and a higher level of competition and you can see why the start of the season is the hardest part. My position with the team is "very secure"- I've built up a lot of goodwill the last two seasons and the board isn't expecting anything other than avoiding relegation.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 9, 2014

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I love that Harrison is basically every Be a Pro type character I've ever played in an EA Sports game. Pump everything into speed and acceleration, be the fastest man alive, then count on all your 1 on 1 opportunities to make up for your lack of actual skills when it comes to scoring.

Unfortunately for him he doesn't get a generic XP pool he can dump into any stats he wants, so he can't use all those goals at lower levels to now up his finishing and become Soccer Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zaodai posted:

I love that Harrison is basically every Be a Pro type character I've ever played in an EA Sports game. Pump everything into speed and acceleration, be the fastest man alive, then count on all your 1 on 1 opportunities to make up for your lack of actual skills when it comes to scoring.

Unfortunately for him he doesn't get a generic XP pool he can dump into any stats he wants, so he can't use all those goals at lower levels to now up his finishing and become Soccer Jesus.

We can still put him on a dedicated training regimen, which is almost as good as dumping xp into a stat.

• Locked thread